Android games ongoing sales.

You guys act like it's so bad. Go ask Google why they created one of the most open and customizable softwares out there. Go ahead and ignore. You're just acting like a complete jackass cause some people like free things. Maybe you shouldn't own an android if you don't.

[quote name='louiedog']Yep. This. Why even be on CAG at that point? It's not like it's only an option on Android. It's not like it's so difficult that it requires much intelligence. We're not buying apps because we're too stupid to figure out another way.[/QUOTE]

I never said anybody was stupid. But I mean, go ahead and make stuff up.

I paid for many apps before I knew about rooting. Some I still pay for. But higher than $1, I don't.

I am just offering a useful alternative. There's millions of reasons to root besides being able to download APKs.

[quote name='computingwarren']I paid for many apps before I knew about rooting. Some I still pay for. But higher than $1, I don't.

I am just offering a useful alternative. There's millions of reasons to root besides being able to download APKs.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, stealing is not a "useful alternative." Just stop.

[quote name='confoosious']Can someone recommend good hidden object games? I have a nexus 7 and google play credit to burn.

thanks.[/QUOTE]

Well there's a bunch of Big Fish stuff and most have trial versions so you can check them out before you buy.

For my own personal recommendation I think the Broken Sword games are quite good but they are more involved than just a hidden object search. More like going from area to area, questioning people, looking for clues etc.

[quote name='Motoki']Well there's a bunch of Big Fish stuff and most have trial versions so you can check them out before you buy.[/QUOTE]

I was gonna preload them onto my nexus for gf for xmas. I don't really want to try them. :)

[quote name='speedy05']any thought on Sword & Sworecery (I have a Toshiba Thrive Tablet)?
thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you like point and click adventure games and good music I say it's definitely worth playing. It should work fine on the Thrive. It has been in a Humble Bundle for Android and it's possible that it'll be included in a future one.

[quote name='lassiterb']Are you using touch controls or a controller for Raiden? I'm really hating how they implemented the ship movement for touch, like its moving slightly slower than my finger and not quite accurately compared to 1-1 control. You experiencing this?[/QUOTE]

I've also noticed that. It doesn't ruin the experience by any means, but yeah, 1-1 controls would be nice to have. I recently downloaded R-Type, which was ported by the same devs, and it has a similar issue.

Also if people want to get free games legally, download the Amazon app store. They have a free game of the day. I haven't found anything great but free is free. Today's is Christmas solitaire, a good time waster app.

Has anyone else been experiencing slow downloads from the play store since yesterday? I'm staying with my parents and it was fine on Thursday and the rest of the Internet is fine. I don't have a data connection here to test. ~30 mb downloads are taking 4 minutes on both devices that I have access to.

[quote name='lassiterb']Are you using touch controls or a controller for Raiden? I'm really hating how they implemented the ship movement for touch, like its moving slightly slower than my finger and not quite accurately compared to 1-1 control. You experiencing this?[/QUOTE]

Using touch screen controls, but I'd love to play this game with a controller (I don't think thats supported yet). I do see the ship trailing my finger a little as I play, but it doesn't seem like some kind of killer "lag", just a natural motion of the ship (and I guess it allows you to still see the ship as you move it around, since the ship doesn't stay directly under your finger). Graphics look fantastic on my Nexus 7 and the game runs very smoothly. Obviously this game isn't HD like Air Attack HD or iFighter 1945, but it still looks really nice and scrolls well.

Granted, I'm still getting used to it and when the bullet patterns get thick, I get smoked a lot, but its still a lot of fun and great to see the Raiden Fighters games ported over and running in vertical mode. I believe Raiden Fighters Aces on the 360 doesn't play in "tate" (vertical) mode as an option, though I'm not about to turn my 37" LCD on its side anyway.

i grabbed Need for Speed, haven't tried it out yet. I know i can't even download it on my Dell Streak though.

Edit: It's kind of laggy on my Razr, might just be my phone though.

[quote name='Foladar']I saw Plants vs Zombies was 99 cents, but for some reason it's not compatible on the Note 2. Too bad.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, it's never been updated for Android 4.0+

[quote name='Foladar']I saw Plants vs Zombies was 99 cents, but for some reason it's not compatible on the Note 2. Too bad.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']IIRC, it's never been updated for Android 4.0+[/QUOTE]

I own it on Amazon and am redownloading so i can tell you in a minute if it will work or not. They haven't price matched the Google sale though because it's $2.99 there. You could always submit a price match.

Argh out of space. Can somebody invent a phone that has a terrabyte of internal storage or something?

*Edit: Okay Plants vs Zombies works just fine on the Note II from the Amazon app store. Yet another case of idiotic overly restrictive blocking of devices on the Google Play store.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about getting that when I saw the price but then I noticed in the comments that EA didn't even put the full game on Android and they haven't updated it in a long time for Android so I decided to skip it.

If it says a device isn't compatible, 99% of the time it actually is compatible, they just are idiots.

[quote name='Gvaz']If it says a device isn't compatible, 99% of the time it actually is compatible, they just are idiots.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. This is my experience as well.

There's usually a way to trick the market into letting you buy it if you are willing to jump through enough hoops but I really wish they would just put up some generic disclaimer 'Warning this app has not been tested extensively on your device and is not guaranteed to work' bla bla and then just let people click though it if they choose to.

You get the 15 minute refund period anyway so I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of games have free demo versions too. There's not really that much risk to letting people try out an app on their device.

[quote name='Motoki']You get the 15 minute refund period anyway so I don't see what the big deal is.[/QUOTE]
With these new games that require a 2gb download, you can have your 15 min grace period gone before you're even set up.

[quote name='Syntax Error']With these new games that require a 2gb download, you can have your 15 min grace period gone before you're even set up.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Games with a known huge download should have a larger time limit than that.

I get the point about the short refund time period for large downloads and it's something that should be addressed but I'd still like a 'Buy at your own risk. You were warned' option.

I've jumped through hoops many times to get games to download off the market for various Android devices and only a couple of times have I run into games that just flat out would not work no matter what I did. The vast majority were able to work. That tells me that the market settings are overly restrictive.

With all these mega huge game files totaling 1-2 GB or more, like Wild Blood or Need for Speed Most Wanted, Google really either has to enforce some kind of file compression rule, or figure out a way to make external SD storage standardized for larger apps. I have an ASUS Transformer TF300 with a combined memory total of 64 GB, and the internal memory is nearly full, while the SD card is not even half full. The only game I have installed in my SD card is The Bard's Tale.

[quote name='razorracer83']With all these mega huge game files totaling 1-2 GB or more, like Wild Blood or Need for Speed Most Wanted, Google really either has to enforce some kind of file compression rule, or figure out a way to make external SD storage standardized for larger apps. I have an ASUS Transformer TF300 with a combined memory total of 64 GB, and the internal memory is nearly full, while the SD card is not even half full. The only game I have installed in my SD card is The Bard's Tale.[/QUOTE]

Did you try going to settings->applications, selecting individual apps, then checking the box for "move to SD card"? Apps often install by default to internal storage, and have to be moved to SD card later.

I have a verizon note 2, and i downloaded Plants Vs Zombies from the android market for 99 cents and it works perfect.

Also, for you Emulator fans, Retroarch for Android is due out soon, 100% free and supports tons of emus all in one emu (nes, snes, fba, psx, etc). Anyone who is into emulation will be very pleased with it.

[quote name='Motoki']Yeah EA pretty much treats Android like a redheaded stepchild so be warned if you buy any of their games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the reviews for Android on Plants versus Zombies aren't pretty on Google Play.

I asked for a refund on sonic 4 ep 2 and wild blood got emailed said my credit card would be, but I used google store credit and the card I signed up with was cancelled last month. My credit is the same do I have to delete the app or just wait?

[quote name='blitz6speed']I have a verizon note 2, and i downloaded Plants Vs Zombies from the android market for 99 cents and it works perfect.

Also, for you Emulator fans, Retroarch for Android is due out soon, 100% free and supports tons of emus all in one emu (nes, snes, fba, psx, etc). Anyone who is into emulation will be very pleased with it.[/QUOTE]

Ooo, I just got my android, so I've been playing nesoid and snesoid, but an all-in-one would be nice to have.

I just noticed Rayman Jungle Run is $0.99 on the Amazon Appstore. It's a really fun game. It also qualifies you for a $1 promo back towards MP3s effectively making it free if you want to buy something from the Amazon MP3 Store.

[quote name='Necrotron']Ooo, I just got my android, so I've been playing nesoid and snesoid, but an all-in-one would be nice to have.[/QUOTE]

Yes, look forward to it. Ive been helping beta test it for the devs and its really amazing stuff.

[quote name='sykotek']I just noticed Rayman Jungle Run is $0.99 on the Amazon Appstore. It's a really fun game. It also qualifies you for a $1 promo back towards MP3s effectively making it free if you want to buy something from the Amazon MP3 Store.[/QUOTE]

Gah, i was so happy since i thought it hit 99 cents on the play store, i dropped amazon app store completely, no more bloat. Im still holding out for 99 cents on play store.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Did you try going to settings->applications, selecting individual apps, then checking the box for "move to SD card"? Apps often install by default to internal storage, and have to be moved to SD card later.[/QUOTE]

You can't do this the on Samsung devices with ICS+.... :(

[quote name='sykotek']I just noticed Rayman Jungle Run is $0.99 on the Amazon Appstore. It's a really fun game. It also qualifies you for a $1 promo back towards MP3s effectively making it free if you want to buy something from the Amazon MP3 Store.[/QUOTE]

Same, I got a ton of Google Play credit to burn.

[quote name='Izod517']You can't do this the on Samsung devices with ICS+.... :([/QUOTE]

If rooted, try link2sd from the play store.

[quote name='rflagg']As a rule (with exceptions of course), you can get a refund on Google Play for most things within the first 48 hours, and here's how: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-get-refund-app-google-play-beyond-15-minute-time-window[/QUOTE]

Super useful. Bookmarked and thanks!

[quote name='blitz6speed']I have a verizon note 2, and i downloaded Plants Vs Zombies from the android market for 99 cents and it works perfect.
[/QUOTE]

It doesn't show at all for the T-Mobile Note II. It's the same phone so this just goes to show the idiocy of being too selective on which specific models #s can access an app vs just opening it up for everyone.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Gah, i was so happy since i thought it hit 99 cents on the play store, i dropped amazon app store completely, no more bloat. Im still holding out for 99 cents on play store.[/QUOTE]

I actually have some useful paid apps on the Amazon store so I can't get rid of it. Anyway, while it's 95% junk these days, once in a blue moon they do have a decent free app of the day.

[quote name='Izod517']You can't do this the on Samsung devices with ICS+.... :([/QUOTE]

Yeah Sammy don't play that. They are a pain about their internal emulated SD and external real SD etc. Even on their older phones that were gingerbread when you could move to "SD" it was really just the internal SD and you had no easy way to move to external one. I really hate that. I don't want an internal SD just make it all internal storage please.

Some developers if they are really good will give you the option in the app to save to internal mem, internal SD or external SD but most devs don't do this and the only one I found that did was InXile with Bard's Tale.

[quote name='louiedog']If rooted, try link2sd from the play store.[/QUOTE]

I'm not rooted. The T-Mobile Note II is supposed to eventually get an over the air update to enable LTE once they get their LTE network going so I don't want to mess with rooting it until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blitz6speed']
Gah, i was so happy since i thought it hit 99 cents on the play store, i dropped amazon app store completely, no more bloat. Im still holding out for 99 cents on play store.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. My big issue with Amazon's app is its really glitchy to me. At times I have a hard time updating things. Games aren't updates as frequently, etc etc.

[quote name='Motoki']I get the point about the short refund time period for large downloads and it's something that should be addressed but I'd still like a 'Buy at your own risk. You were warned' option.[/QUOTE]
Preaching to the choir, my friend. I've gotten all manner of stuff to run on the Touchpad (and things like enabling the "Tegra only" effects in Dead Trigger).

[quote name='razorracer83']With all these mega huge game files totaling 1-2 GB or more, like Wild Blood or Need for Speed Most Wanted, Google really either has to enforce some kind of file compression rule, or figure out a way to make external SD storage standardized for larger apps. I have an ASUS Transformer TF300 with a combined memory total of 64 GB, and the internal memory is nearly full, while the SD card is not even half full. The only game I have installed in my SD card is The Bard's Tale.[/QUOTE]

One driving factor behind the exploding games sizes is the lack of (good) common texture compression standard across SoCs (devices). Thus a lot of Android games that would benefit from better texture compression don't in favor of better compatability. Here's a decent and accessable primer.

[quote name='rflagg']As a rule (with exceptions of course), you can get a refund on Google Play for most things within the first 48 hours, and here's how: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-get-refund-app-google-play-beyond-15-minute-time-window[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that!

bread's done
Back