Android games ongoing sales.

[quote name='Motoki']Game Dev Story 40% off at Google Play

I kind of wish someone would do a Kairosoft bundle because they have a lot of games and I want them but I am too cheap to pay $5 each. :p[/QUOTE]

Game Dev Story is one of my favorites to play on my phone. My most successful title was a little game called @$$Blasters....a dating sim.....it's had 8 sequels...:lol:

[quote name='solidus_00']My most successful title was a little game called @$$Blasters....a dating sim.....it's had 8 sequels...:lol:[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s...wtf...:whistle2:k

Heads up. There's a new app that's available on Android as a counter for the countless free paid apps that you find on AppZapp for iOS. It's called Get Free Apps. It shows the upcoming free apps as well, so it won't be like waiting with bated breath for Amazon's Free App of the Day, only to find out it's crap.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onadevice.getfreeappsandroid

Keep in mind, you need a Paypal account, which many of you (including me) might find unappealing. But it says you should get your money back in 20 minutes.

[quote name='razorracer83']Heads up. There's a new app that's available on Android as a counter for the countless free paid apps that you find on AppZapp for iOS. It's called Get Free Apps. It shows the upcoming free apps as well, so it won't be like waiting with bated breath for Amazon's Free App of the Day, only to find out it's crap.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onadevice.getfreeappsandroid[/QUOTE]

Hmm, sounds kind of scheistery. What's the catch?

[quote name='Motoki']Hmm, sounds kind of scheistery. What's the catch?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just updated my post for that. To be honest, I'm a bit wary myself, seeing that it requires Paypal. But it's no big loss now that I have my iPod Touch 5G, and the many free paid apps I can get on it.

[quote name='razorracer83']Heads up. There's a new app that's available on Android as a counter for the countless free paid apps that you find on AppZapp for iOS. It's called Get Free Apps. It shows the upcoming free apps as well, so it won't be like waiting with bated breath for Amazon's Free App of the Day, only to find out it's crap.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onadevice.getfreeappsandroid

Keep in mind, you need a Paypal account, which many of you (including me) might find unappealing. But it says you should get your money back in 20 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I swear that was released, or an app with the exact same description, already. I read about it last week and really thought it was on the play store. Did they pull and repost it because of bad reviews or am I remembering where I saw it incorrectly?

[quote name='louiedog']I swear that was released, or an app with the exact same description, already. I read about it last week and really thought it was on the play store. Did they pull and repost it because of bad reviews or am I remembering where I saw it incorrectly?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I find this too good to be true. I think it would be best to see more legit user reviews before even considering it.

I just found their Facebook page and there are posts from weeks ago with links to download their app that go to an invalid Google Play URL. They definitely relisted the app, but I can't say for sure that it's for a shady reason.

Yeah, maybe posting about this app wasn't such a good idea. I find it strange for Droidgamers of all sites to post an article about it instead of a Public Service Announcement, considering the obvious flag, that being the PayPal requirement.

[quote name='razorracer83']To be honest, I'm a bit wary myself, seeing that it requires Paypal.[/QUOTE]
One of the reviews note that it only asks for your Paypal email address, so they can send the refund to you.

The app seems to be a bit of a workaround for Google Play's requirement that any app priced for free is permanently free, preventing developers from temporarily giving away their apps on the store as a promotion.

They're likely using Paypal as it's a two-way payment system, as opposed to Google Wallet, which is more like a conventional credit card processor. The developer can't refund the original purchase directly, and they can't send an unrelated payment to you via Google Wallet, so Paypal it is.

Part of the worrying aspect of it is that you pay for the app in full, then wait for a refund. If you never get the Paypal payment, you're out money. So you're hoping both the developer of the refund program and of the promoted app are both trustworthy. Also, unlike Amazon or Apple's Appstore, the Developer is out money on this promotion method, since they have to pay Google a cut of the app sale, then pay GetFreeApps a fee for the promotion.
From a Facebook comment:
https://www.facebook.com/gfreeapps/...?comment_id=1663921&offset=0&total_comments=3
When we promote the app, we get an agreement from the promoted app developer, and we charge him a little fee for each download we drive. For instance, if the app costs $1, he pays $1,25 to us for each download, $1 goes directly to the user that purchases the app, and the rest is for us. It's a promotion platform. Hope it helps!

Google takes a 30% cut, so for the $1 app example, Google gets $0.30 and GetFreeApps gets $0.25, meaning the developer is $0.55 in the hole for each "free" download. What if a free app of the day is so popular the developer isn't able to cover the costs of the promotion?

The authentication process isn't clear. The GetFreeApps app has to be running on your phone, and it looks like you may have to get to the app on Google Play via the link in the GetFreeApps app. So it may rely partially on a referral link, but then also monitors the app installation on your phone somehow. The permissions don't seem overbearing, but it can read the SD card. Maybe the promoted app writes something to the SD card when downloaded that the GetFreeApps app checks for? I see that Asphalt 7, the promoted free app of the day, was updated today, so maybe it was changed to work with the GetFreeApps authentication process.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA7HM

Here's their homepage. Unfortunately it doesn't go into much detail on how the promotion works.
http://www.getfreeapps.net/

[quote name='sykotek']I never knew Amazon started carrying Kairosoft games! Pocket League Story is currently free on Amazon's Appstore.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, this is news to me as well. Too bad I already have Pocket League Story. I think I grabbed it when the play store was having those $.10 sales. Still, now Amazon go make Hot Springs story free :D

[quote name='solidus_00']Thanks, this is news to me as well. Too bad I already have Pocket League Story. I think I grabbed it when the play store was having those $.10 sales. Still, now Amazon go make Hot Springs story free :D[/QUOTE]

I was all excited at a rare discount on a Kairosoft game and a decent Amazon FAOTD, neither of which are very common. Then I read your reply, checked my Google Play account list an sure enough, it's there.

Oh well, I'm sure there are some people who missed those Google sales.

Yeah, bummer. Seems like the Kairosoft games that go on sale are the ones I already have. Namely World Cruise Story, Game Dev story and Dungeon Village.

I am crossing my fingers that maybe amazon will discount kairosoft games more than play does.

[quote name='YoJoeCool']Just noticed that both Chaos Rings and Chaos Rings Ω are showing up as $4.18 each. Might be because Chaos Rings 2 was just put up (though it's $16).[/QUOTE]

Man, I just bought Infinity Blade II on my iPod Touch 5G, so I might be pushing it. But that is so huge of a discount for the both of them. Ah well, another $8 something won't hurt. Don't have much RPGs on my Nexus 7, anyway.

Never mind. I just realized that I could buy a $10.00 Google Play gift code using Bill Me Later through PayPal. Walmart saves the day again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually kind of liked the first Chaos Rings. I mean it wasn't the most amazing game ever but it looks good for an Android game and I thought it was fun.

That said, the Omega one basically looks like more of the same. Is there much point to getting Omega if I already have Chaos Rings 1?

So, can somebody explain the difference between Chaos Rings and Chaos Rings Omega to me? Is the Omega version a sequel/prequel? Is one considered better than the other?

Osmos HD is Amazon's free app of the day today. Normally $2.99, it's a great game--relaxing, good soundtrack and plays well, especially on a tablet.

[quote name='woodcan']So, can somebody explain the difference between Chaos Rings and Chaos Rings Omega to me? Is the Omega version a sequel/prequel? Is one considered better than the other?[/QUOTE]

Omega is a prequel...and that's all I know. I don't know if one is better than the other but from the looks of it...they're both similar gameplay wise. Chaos Rings II is the huge improvement..but it's also 15.99.

There is currently a sale on Grand Theft Auto III which is on sale for $1.99 (regularly $4.99)

Link

Not the cheapest that it's been, but still a really good deal.

[quote name='jshackles']There is currently a sale on Grand Theft Auto III which is on sale for $1.99 (regularly $4.99)

Link

Not the cheapest that it's been, but still a really good deal.[/QUOTE]

Tempting, especially for my otg cable. I would prefer Vice at some point though...

[quote name='Sonne']Tempting, especially for my otg cable. I would prefer Vice at some point though...[/QUOTE]

Same here. Why do I got the strange feeling that there won't be a sale on GTA: VC Android/iOS until GTA V gets released?

Woah! It looks like it's three in a row for really good Amazon FAOTD games. Today it's Sprinkle, from the same people who made the awesome game Granny Smith. With Osmos HD yesterday, and Pocket League Story the day prior, it brings an extremely rare threepeat of good quality Amazon Free Apps of the Day.

[quote name='razorracer83']Woah! It looks like it's three in a row for really good Amazon FAOTD games. Today it's Sprinkle, from the same people who made the awesome game Granny Smith. With Osmos HD yesterday, and Pocket League Story the day prior, it brings an extremely rare threepeat of good quality Amazon Free Apps of the Day.[/QUOTE]

Well for those who really have been following Android deals for some time now, Sprinkle and Pocket League Story have been on those cheap Google Play sales (remember when they used to actually put paid games on sale?) and Osmos has been in Humble Android bundles.

But still, they aren't utter crap so yes that is an improvement for the Amazon FAOtD. :p

Already have the two Sega games but ugh, modern day military shooters are my absolute least favorite genre game and I'm still seriously thinking I need to get Modern Combat because it's only 99 cents!

What the hell is wrong with me? :lol:

[quote name='Motoki']Already have the two Sega games but ugh, modern day military shooters are my absolute least favorite genre game and I'm still seriously thinking I need to get Modern Combat because it's only 99 cents!

What the hell is wrong with me? :lol"[/QUOTE]

It came free with my MOGA. I couldn't get past the controls, both with the controller and on the touch screen. It reminds me of my friends trying to get me to play GoldenEye after I'd been playing so much Quake.

[quote name='Motoki']Already have the two Sega games but ugh, modern day military shooters are my absolute least favorite genre game and I'm still seriously thinking I need to get Modern Combat because it's only 99 cents!

What the hell is wrong with me? :lol"[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat - not exactly my kind of game usually but the production values look high for only 99c!

I don't have Sonic CD on Android but have it on Steam, XBLA, and Sega CD, not sure if it's worth quadruple dipping at that price. (And you thought you were bad)

Got md4 for the same reason. 1 buck is a lot better than 7, especiallt because im regretting getting gangstar rio. Controls are awful for that. Otherwise Gotta love my moga and gameloft! Now between sonic cd and jsr...

[quote name='jshackles']Total War Battles: Shogun is on sale for $1.99 (Normally $4.99)

I believe this has cross-platform multiplayer that integrates with the Steam version.[/QUOTE]

It should still come with a free code for the Sendai Clan DLC for the Steam Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai game.

IIRC, the Android version does make you play through TWB to a certain point to get that code but the Steam version of TWB just gives it to you.

Modern Combat 4 and Total War Battles: Shogun are marked down to the same prices on the Amazon App Store.

I've got a flashed original Kindle Fire. Amazon says MC4 is compatible, but Play says it is not. Different versions? I prefer to buy apps for my Fire from Play.

[quote name='eugaet']Modern Combat 4 and Total War Battles: Shogun are marked down to the same prices on the Amazon App Store.

I've got a flashed original Kindle Fire. Amazon says MC4 is compatible, but Play says it is not. Different versions? I prefer to buy apps for my Fire from Play.[/QUOTE]

Those Gameloft games will generally work on a lot more devices than they say they will, albeit sometimes you have to jump through extra hoops like buildprop edits and maybe Chainfire.

I know for the Fire Gameloft does make some Kindle Fire specific versions of their apps, or least the say they are Kindle Fire specific and are locked to only the Fire by default.

I've also actually gotten the Amazon App store to think my HP Touchpad was a Kindle Fire before but I had to go through a lot of shenanigans to get it to do that. All the Fire specific apps worked just fine on it though.

TL;DR if you have a Kindle Fire just get your games by fussy developers like Gameloft and EA from Amazon if you can. Less hassle that way.

[quote name='louiedog']It came free with my MOGA. I couldn't get past the controls, both with the controller and on the touch screen. It reminds me of my friends trying to get me to play GoldenEye after I'd been playing so much Quake.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get past the massive filesize. I tell you, Gameloft's games are overinflated on Android.

And I, too, got MC4 with my MOGA.

The massive filesizes are due to their being no common texture compression standard on Android devices (GPU/driver/patent licensing issue), so the safe bet is uncompressed textures.

[quote name='asheskitty']The massive filesizes are due to their being no common texture compression standard on Android devices (GPU/driver/patent licensing issue), so the safe bet is uncompressed textures.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see.

SNK Playmore is having a limited time sale on their games on Google Play. It looks like everything is getting the half off treatment. Metal Slug series titles are $1.99 each and Blazing Star is available for $0.99, not bad just in case you missed out the last time they were on sale.

>Check it out!

A lot of great apps are free today on the Amazon app store. Some of the highlights include Bejeweled 2 and Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots Edition.

[quote name='RCS0926']A lot of great apps are free today on the Amazon app store. Some of the highlights include Bejeweled 2 and Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots Edition.[/QUOTE]

Thanks just got them! Don't really see any other games that were discounted for free but I have no idea how to look for them exactly. Looked on the deals page but I guess they don't list games there that are discounted for free besides the App of the Day.
-EDIT- Nvm just saw your link posted.

[quote name='RCS0926']A lot of great apps are free today on the Amazon app store. Some of the highlights include Bejeweled 2 and Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots Edition.[/QUOTE]

So what's the catch with all of these Amazon "free apps", other than the fact that you have to install them through the Amazon Android app? Are they just trying to get you to install it so that you'll buy more apps from the Amazon store? Any "spyware" or anything like that?

[quote name='seamoss']So what's the catch with all of these Amazon "free apps", other than the fact that you have to install them through the Amazon Android app? Are they just trying to get you to install it so that you'll buy more apps from the Amazon store? Any "spyware" or anything like that?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is any catch. Amazon just runs its own app store with its own sales. Every once in a while (like today), Amazon will have a really great app for free. Not too long ago, they had World of Goo available for free. In the end, the Amazon app store is just another option for Android users to get free games.

bread's done
Back