Andy Whitfield of 'Spartacus' fame dies at age of 39 from cancer

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!
It was just announced about an hour ago that Spartacus star Andy Whitfield has lost his battle with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. I was a really big fan of the show and Andy in general. R.I.P. Andy. Here is a link to Andy doing a Time Crisis recreation with Freddie Wong. He seemed like a genuine and humble guy. IGN Article Also: http://tv.ign.com/articles/119/1193725p1.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKogQf9ooR8

Sorry if you have to watch an ad to see it.

[quote name='neocisco']Do you see the irony of you being the one to post this?[/QUOTE]

You know I started to write an edit that I am not trolling or anything. My name is actually because I do research for Anti-cancer drugs. It does seem ironic but just know I posted this with the most sincerest of intentions. I loved the show and he was really great in it. I was surprised to hear of his passing. He had beaten it once but it came back. The Time Crisis video was actually shot between that time so it makes me a bit sad to watch it.

This is an odd thing to say, but...I'm literally going to miss him fucking and killing people (not all at once mind you). Loved him as Spartacus.

RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend of mine named pete died few years ago from cancer, wonder why I didnt see a thread for him any type of press release? Oh thats right, he wasnt in a movie or on tv so he is less special for it. Only movie and tv stars are special in america, how silly of me to forget that.

/insert shameless, pitiful, vapid, fake and empty sincere feelings of loss for person I never knew publicly so I look like I really care and pretend like everyone else here.

Well Im sure another 834 people today died from cancer. So who is going to start making a thread for each of them?

[quote name='gargus']Friend of mine named pete died few years ago from cancer, wonder why I didnt see a thread for him any type of press release? Oh thats right, he wasnt in a movie or on tv so he is less special for it. Only movie and tv stars are special in america, how silly of me to forget that.

/insert shameless, pitiful, vapid, fake and empty sincere feelings of loss for person I never knew publicly so I look like I really care and pretend like everyone else here.

Well Im sure another 834 people today died from cancer. So who is going to start making a thread for each of them?[/QUOTE]

Well since I am the one who started this thread I will give you MY response to your idiotic post. I work in the field of cancer research. More specifically I work on the discovery and evaluation of potential new anti-cancer drugs. I have heard, read, witnessed more death from this horrible disease than most people. My heart goes out to anyone who is suffering from cancer or anyone who has lost someone to cancer and I take extreme exception to anyone who would insinuate that I am being insincere with this thread. I never knew Andy Whitfield and I never knew your friend but I still can have empathy for them or their families. I liked him on a show I watched so I found it relevant to myself to report his death and give my condolences in public. I am turning 37 this year and when someone who was obviously in better physical shape than myself dies at such a young age I find that to be a scary wake up call also.

Now with that said, I think you may be the worst person on this site. You spend your time going through the deals thread and bashing people for posting things that are not deals and then when I come to the correct thread you take the time to bash that also. You must be a sorry excuse for a person and I would really hate to think people have to associate with you on a daily basis. I am sure it won't happen but I hope the mods give you a little time out for just being an ass.

It's been clear for a while that Gargus just does this for fun now. Don't take him too seriously. He drops a bomb in a thread and never returns for the rebuttals, it's just his game.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's been clear for a while that Gargus just does this for fun now. Don't take him too seriously. He drops a bomb in a thread and never returns for the rebuttals, it's just his game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know he has a rep for this but I was not aware he did this to non-deal related posts. It is fine. I am not upset except for the fact the mods let him do it so much. I just need to ignore him and resist the urge to click on his posts.

Really sucks to hear. The guy really made Spartacus for me.

I remember hearing that he was getting better a while back. Sad to hear that that wasn't true.

[quote name='gargus']Friend of mine named pete died few years ago from cancer, wonder why I didnt see a thread for him any type of press release? Oh thats right, he wasnt in a movie or on tv so he is less special for it. Only movie and tv stars are special in america, how silly of me to forget that.

Well Im sure another 834 people today died from cancer. So who is going to start making a thread for each of them?[/QUOTE]

Ugh, just stop you are being an ass. The big difference, not that you really need to hear it, is that no one knows who your friend Pete was. A lot of people know who Andy Whitfield is. Does that make Andy's death more tragic? Not necessarily, but people are still going to post condolences because they know who he is.

On a side note, grow the fuck up. You are like a 2 year old in every thread you post in.

[quote name='gargus']Friend of mine named pete died few years ago from cancer, wonder why I didnt see a thread for him any type of press release?[/QUOTE]

Simple. Because nobody here knew who the fuck he was. That's kinda the whole point of these threads. Familiarity with who died. It's really not that hard of a concept.

Well Im sure another 834 people today died from cancer. So who is going to start making a thread for each of them?
Apparently not your self-righteous ass. If it's a problem, you should get out the obituaries from your local paper and start posting about their deaths. Put up, or shut the fuck up. We'd all kind of prefer the latter.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Yeah I know he has a rep for this but I was not aware he did this to non-deal related posts. It is fine. I am not upset except for the fact the mods let him do it so much. I just need to ignore him and resist the urge to click on his posts.[/QUOTE]

The mods here are probably the most lenient I've ever encountered on the internet. Usually it's a great thing, but when it comes to people like gargus, not so much.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The mods here are probably the most lenient I've ever encountered on the internet. Usually it's a great thing, but when it comes to people like gargus, not so much.[/QUOTE]

I agree, very lenient mods. I guess it's better than SA, where I lurk but fear posting most of the time. At the same time, I never see anyone there posting dumb shit either so I guess it works sometimes.

If Gargus didn't get banned over mod-sassing in that roach thread, he'll never get banned. No point reporting it just ignore him.

[quote name='bdb2m']If Gargus didn't get banned over mod-sassing in that roach thread, he'll never get banned. No point reporting it just ignore him.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. If the mods keep getting inundated with reports of his trolling they'll get sick of all the report notices and eliminate the problem at the root. They just need to see that it's a pattern with him.

[quote name='neocisco']Report him for trolling. If he gets reported enough he'll get the boot.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. Is it not beyond ridiculous at this point? He's being an asshole FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of being an asshole. Why is he still here?

Spartacus just won't be the same without him. I heard that the cancer subsided a while back; sad to hear he never fully recovered.

R.I.P.

[quote name='neocisco']I disagree. If the mods keep getting inundated with reports of his trolling they'll get sick of all the report notices and eliminate the problem at the root. They just need to see that it's a pattern with him.[/QUOTE]

Looks like he was recently silenced, so the plan may have sort of worked :whee:

Have had Spartacus on my 'to watch' list since it started, but always got trapped in something else. First Farscape and now finishing up Rescue Me.

Sad to hear this - heck, he looked awesome in Season One and I was surprised when his health started failing and he had to miss Season Two. Glad he was on the road to recovery and now this. Like your grandfather who has a heart attack, recovers and gets in seemingly better health, then just drops one night and gone.

Will certainly be watching S1 with a heavier heart than normal.

I got hooked on Spartacus after it was briefly available on Netflix. When it went away before I could finish the season, I just had to buy it to see the rest of the episodes. He was fantastic in the lead role and the show certainly won't be the same without him. Just a tragedy that this happened to him in the prime of his life.

RIP

Spartacus was such an amazing show... I'm sad that we will only ever get spin offs like blood in the sand now =/ (which was also good, but not season 1 good).

RIP and shame on Gargus (glad he's silenced, but he really needs to be banned). Just because it is an actor doesn't mean we can't feel bad for him. I felt sad when Steve Irwin died. I watched his show all the time, so it was kind of like I knew him lol. Maybe if we knew that dude he was talking about, we'd feel sad for him too.

bread's done
Back