Animal Crossing: City Folk - Gen. Discussion and info

Does anyone know if towns people will sell their fish and bugs tomorrow?

If they will, I'm looking for a Knife Jaw, a popped goldfish, and a coel. If you see one- let me know!

[quote name='nbballard']Does anyone know if towns people will sell their fish and bugs tomorrow?

If they will, I'm looking for a Knife Jaw, a popped goldfish, and a coel. If you see one- let me know![/quote]

I'm not sure if they do or not, but I know my animals love buying seashells from me for insanely inflated prices. That said, they are stingy little critters who never want to sell me any of their stuff.

I fell asleep last night and so never sold my turnips! So... Hopefully your gate is open Wa-Keen! :). Our price today is lousy of course. :(

Also, I have a red turnip. My first one and now I realize I don't know what to do! Do I pull it up or dig it up? Is today the day?

I just added Unnassuming/Mr. Bill and Wa-Keen/Joaquin. It's getting difficult to keep track of all these FC's! I may try to put together a list of what seems to be the currently active players, though admittedly that could be a little tricky....

Here is my info if either of you (or anyone else) needs it:

FC: 1247-3058-0049
Name: Daddy
Town: maxwii
Fruit: Cherry (and others)

Our Nooks turnip price is now 82 bells. Oh well.

A short while ago I tried to go out and it looked like Alice was on (I think? I it was), but when I tried to connect it sat there saving forever and then said I was disconnected. This happened once to me the other day as well. I'm thinking it was a phantom gate, not really there, but not sure.

I've been meaning to get in on this. Here's my info:

Kilraven
Luxville
peaches, oranges
FC: 3952-1486-4920

Current stalk market is a deplorable 57 bells.

[quote name='Wa-Keen']my turnip price is 380.... \\:D/[/QUOTE]

omg! Are you opening your town today? Mine are 55 today. I am so screwed. Anyone putting items up for bid? I never see anything in the auction.

[quote name='Beccaree']Anyone putting items up for bid? I never see anything in the auction.[/quote]
I put up a painting, don't know if it's real or not :bouncy:

[quote name='oemor']I keep on forgeting to put stuff in the auction. I'm gonna put up a euro exclusive snowglobe up today[/QUOTE]

oh man.. I would totally buy that if I have the money. I spent almost all of my savings for the lighthouse.

Gates are open fools. Send me a PM if you add me. I might be just collecting dust by the gates if you come. (Bring fruit please!)

FC: 0130-6670-6657
Name: Mr. Bill
Town: Onett
Fruit: Peaches

Edit: Gates are closed. Wife wants some K.K. serenading.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's 10pm here, and a lot of east coast towns are probably closed now. Anyone from any other time zone have an open Nooks? I have to get rid of these stupid turnips that I won't be buying anymore and I don't care if I lose some, I just don't want to lose EVERYTHING.

Hope you managed to find somewhere to sell, Violet! I was gone most of the day/night and in any case the price wasn't good. I'm also east coast too.

[quote name='VioletArrows']So it's 10pm here, and a lot of east coast towns are probably closed now. Anyone from any other time zone have an open Nooks? I have to get rid of these stupid turnips that I won't be buying anymore and I don't care if I lose some, I just don't want to lose EVERYTHING.[/QUOTE]

Find an open town?
I can add you and open my gates if you need.

[quote name='Beccaree']omg! Are you opening your town today? Mine are 55 today. I am so screwed. Anyone putting items up for bid? I never see anything in the auction.[/QUOTE]

I was not home all day. I had to work a 12-hour shift. :cry:

[quote name='crunchewy']I just added Unnassuming/Mr. Bill and Wa-Keen/Joaquin. It's getting difficult to keep track of all these FC's! I may try to put together a list of what seems to be the currently active players, though admittedly that could be a little tricky.... [/QUOTE]

I try to open my gate every night. I'm soooo addicted to A.C, lol!

Nope, I gave up. I knew it would happen, but I bought the stupid turnips anyway. I don't know why, but it seems a hell of a lot harder to get money in City Folk than it was in Wild World.

[quote name='Wa-Keen']I was not home all day. I had to work a 12-hour shift. :cry:

I try to open my gate every night. I'm soooo addicted to A.C, lol![/QUOTE]

ah, that sucks. 12 hrs is brutal.

It sounds like you guys are having a blast with this game... Seriously considering making the purchase. I've never played Animal Crossing, though. :)

Should I start with the DS version or go straight to the Wii?

I'm bored and wanna go touring around in other peoples towns, pm me if you want to add mine / come visit mine (which is pretty plain might i add haha)

Law - get the Wii version. However, I only say that because it's the version I'm playing. :) Others can provide more useful insight.

I missed out on turnips this go round. My kids were playing other stuff and we were busy and before I noticed it was 5 minutes after 12. Ah well. I'll check my turnip prices for everybody, though, and report if it's ever good.

Kilraven - I'll add you later today.

[quote name='Law_Professor']Should I start with the DS version or go straight to the Wii?[/QUOTE]

They're essentially the same game. Pick up the Wii version and play it while it's popular.

Can I pull up my red turnip (purchased last week) today? Is there any reason not to sell it today? Also, do I pull it up or do I dig it up (with a shovel)?

[quote name='crunchewy']Can I pull up my red turnip (purchased last week) today? Is there any reason not to sell it today? Also, do I pull it up or do I dig it up (with a shovel)?[/quote]

I believe your red turnip should have been pulled up yesterday (Saturday), so you may wind up with a stale turnip. I've always dug mine up with a shovel.

[quote name='alison']I believe your red turnip should have been pulled up yesterday (Saturday), so you may wind up with a stale turnip. I've always dug mine up with a shovel.[/quote]

Red turnips don't go bad unless you forget to water them. I once kept one going for two weeks just to see if it'd be worth more, but it never gets higher than 16K.

OK, maybe I am missing something, but does anyone end up with more than 25 acres when they divide up their land? I end up with 3 tiles extra at the East side of my town. My theory is that you are not supposed to account for the river, which goes right down the middle of my town, and that's why I'm showing extra pixels.

On a side note, I made some pretty good profit today at the flea market, but I have not had any more visitors since this morning. I think the townsfolk give up or something after a while.

Anyone with their gates open that wants to add me right now?

I'm disappointed with the flea market in this version. I had my three houses set up with fish & fossils and my neighbors weren't at all interested in the fossils. And the trick to get them to buy more than three things (go upstairs/downstairs and back) doesn't work anymore!

For the next flea market, I'll either not sell anything or just have houses full of fish and bugs only. It's not like I really need the Bells for anything anyway.

Kind of funny though, my main floor was full of nothing but fossils & fish and my upstairs & downstairs are crammed with the rest of my furniture and I still got a 173,000+ HRA score for this week. I think my score was around 130,000 last week.

Yeah, I'm starting to hate this game and I've only had it a week. I was really looking forward to actually making good money today, only to get a bunch of cheapskates and one of em didn't actually buy anything. I sold one of them a dartboard for 600, and when I realized I wasn't going to make any money, I went outside to catch fish. I caught a red snapper, and that same animal came up to me and tried to get me to just give her the snapper for the stupid dartboard I'd just sold her! I told her to get lost. I can't buy anything good from anyone else's house either. All I wanted was a regal bed, and of course they want to sell me a crappy chair in the corner.

Maybe selling hasn't worked out, but I've bought some things at good prices, I think. I got the robo dresser for 1100 bells. I think that's a good price. Other stuff. Also sold a mole cricket for 800 bells, so that was also good. Selling furniture, though, they all want lower then catalog prices, which, of course, makes perfect sense. It's used. Maybe not as fun, though.

Converse, I failed horribly at marking acres! They seem to overlap and not even make it to the beach. No perfect town rating here. I'm just throwing flowers everywhere to see if that eventually adds up to perfect status. What I hate is that I have too many trees in certain areas, but since there are flowers in that same acre, it somehow makes it OK and doesn't give me the "too many trees" message. I have no idea if that is messing the whole thing up or what, but all these trees are driving me crazy :bomb:
-
Didn't sell anything or buy turnips today. Too tired/lazy :lol:
I did buy a cabin couch which I really wanted, yay! And some kind of piano which is also a lucky item so that's also going into my house.

Ended up doing really well on my first flea market.

After reading about a previous poster selling shells at a big markup, I decided to do the same and ended up selling nearly everything for a 2x markup from the selling price I would've gotten from Nook (1200 bells for a scallop, 900 for a white scallop, etc.). Next time I might try to get 2x on fish and fossils.

I bought the following throughout the day at 50% off or greater than what it sells for at Nook's:

Exotic Bed
Exotic Wardrobe
Samurai Suit
Tall Lantern
Plum Bonsai
Bawi Lute

Two different NPCs had the Exotic Bureau and neither would let go of it.

Nook had a Tea Table today, so I bought that to go w/ everything else. And I finally talked my son into trading me his Blue Kotatsu...had to give the little swindler 3 gyroids. :)

Oh, and one of the NPCs must've dumped their Master Sword in the recycle bin. So I've got that now.

Overall, a pretty good day. :D

[quote name='Daisydog']Converse, I failed horribly at marking acres! They seem to overlap and not even make it to the beach. No perfect town rating here. I'm just throwing flowers everywhere to see if that eventually adds up to perfect status. What I hate is that I have too many trees in certain areas, but since there are flowers in that same acre, it somehow makes it OK and doesn't give me the "too many trees" message. I have no idea if that is messing the whole thing up or what, but all these trees are driving me crazy :bomb:
[/quote]
Thanks for the input. I finally figured out that a few of my marking were off, and I was able to get it all lined up. I'm a little anal retentive about this kind of stuff, so I had created a digital graph paper in Excel where I was mapping out my town. I finally finished tonight and it's all making sense now. It's so much easier to have it all mapped out on the computer, because I can calculate easily how many trees, what kind of trees, flowers, etc. in each acre and adjust appropriately. I want to get the perfect town rating and the golden watering can to add to my collection.

On a side note, I donated enough to get the extra bridge in town, and they gave me two really weak options on where to put it. I assume it'll be constructed within the next week, but I was disappointed I couldn't choose where it went. My next goal is to donate to the town fund another 400K bells for the fountain and then I'll work on paying off my mortgage on the 2nd floor.

I'm totally loving this game still. I really enjoy the "Sim City" aspect of creating the town in the model that you want, not to mention the financial side of playing the stalk market, selling items, and all of the little jobs along the way. I'm not much of a collector in the game, but the challenge of catching new bugs and fish every month will keep me involved for many months yet I suspect.

[quote name='eugaet']And I finally talked my son into trading me his Blue Kotatsu...[/QUOTE]

I got the Blue Kotatsu from a resident a while back and I didn't know what it was suppose to be so I sold it to Tom Nook. Is it suppose to be a table? I realized afterward that maybe that's what it was suppose to be, but I hadn't tried to put anything on it before I sold it and I didn't want to rebuy it in order to find out if that's what it was.

I was really pleased with the flea market. Maybe that's because I had no expectations for it, never having done it before, but to me it makes perfect sense that they wouldn't buy "used" stuff from you for above "retail", plus I believe they pay more more then what Tom Nook will pay you if you do want to get rid of something - you just can't turn a profit from furniture you purchased. They do offer a lot for your bugs and fish and such, more then Nook pays, and you can make money that way and get bargains on furniture from them. Plus it's just fun having them come visit your house for a change.

I had fun, but I wasn't prepared for it. Next time I'll know what to do. Namely, the day before I'll clear out my house so all it has are fish, shells, bugs and any furniture I just want to get rid of (and I'll have a list of what Nook pays for them/what to ask for them - 2x Nook). This time they kept coming in and asking to buy stuff I didn't want to sell and/or that I didn't know the worth of, and I never had any time to set up what I did want to sell, though I did manage to sell one mole cricket (I said 800 bells before, but I think it was actually 600 that I sold it for.)

How often do flea markets occur? I'm looking forward to the next one. My kids missed this one and I think they are going to have fun with the next one too.

[quote name='crunchewy']I got the Blue Kotatsu from a resident a while back and I didn't know what it was suppose to be so I sold it to Tom Nook. Is it suppose to be a table?[/quote]Yes, you can set stuff on it. I've kind of latched on to the whole oriental theme, so I've been bugging my son about trading it to me for a few weeks now.

[quote name='crunchewy']This time they kept coming in and asking to buy stuff that I didn't know the worth of...[/quote]For the first time in a long while, I bought a strategy guide at full price (instead of waiting for it to penny)...I'm not totally crazy, though, I did use a 30% off coupon and pay for the remainder with Borders Bucks.

I used the AC:CF guide for price lookups. It has the Nook's buy/sell price for nearly everything.

[quote name='crunchewy']How often do flea markets occur? I'm looking forward to the next one. My kids missed this one and I think they are going to have fun with the next one too.[/quote]Every 4th Sunday of the month.

http://animal-crossing.com/cityfolk/calendar/

While I'm pleased with the items I bought from the NPCs (save for one twat that wouldn't sell anything), I couldn't get more than 25% mark up on any fish, insects, shells. Most of what I did sell was about a 10% mark up - those cheap bastards.

I did notice that the later it got the better the price (I bought a jack-in-the-box for 1,101 at 5pm, but it was 1,790? at 10am), and some of things that weren't for sell were later.

My flea market sucked, but that's because most of the items in their houses were ones I'd sent away as gifts on letters to get rid of. I had plenty of chances to repurchase my old crap, since that's all they had in their houses. :lol:

I was really looking forward to the flea market- because some of my residents had fish i wanted to pick up- but then friday night, they ALL approached me asking for bugs and stuff. I didn't think twice, and gave them all pill bugs, and mole crickets and what not, then the next day, all the fish were gone, and the bugs were there instead. Dumb me.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']My flea market sucked, but that's because most of the items in their houses were ones I'd sent away as gifts on letters to get rid of. I had plenty of chances to repurchase my old crap, since that's all they had in their houses. :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, all of the things in my neighbors' houses were things I sent them, but not crap since I usually send them series/themes. Still not anything I'd want to rebuy from them since it's nothing that I can't already get. Now Bill's house just has a bunch of fish in it that I sold to him yesterday.:lol: I was able to buy back some fish from them to resell. :p

I actually made a decent amount of Bells from selling fish alone. I made 413,550 with one of my characters. I think my other one made about 150K+ Bells selling her fish. So it's not bad, but still not as good as the flea market was in WW.

The animals will buy/sell stuff at different prices depending on how much they like your character. My main character was selling stuff at almost 3x Nook's buying price, but my second character was only able to get less than 2.5x Nook's buying price for some of the same fish. I didn't even try selling with my third character since all he had in his house were fossils.

When I was in another town trying to buy stuff, they'd try to charge me insane prices! One wanted 4,433 for a lobster! But it's nice that you get to buy from other towns too. I bought some stuff just to catalog it.

Wow! 413,550 bells from selling fish! What types of fish and how many fish are we talking about?

That's pretty cool that they offer/accept different amounts depending on how much they like you. I'm often failing at the tasks their putting me up to, though not for failing to try. Teddy was asking me for grey furniture and I didn't have anything and Nook's never sold anything grey. I had a trash can which I thought was grey, but he didn't accept that as grey. I guess it was silver, not grey. Etc. I suppose that puts me in a bad light....

I sold them stringfish, coelacanth, and tuna. I didn't have that many, probably around 10-12 fish total that I've been saving up since December. Later on, I caught some football fish, red snapper, and sea butterfly, but ended up only selling 3 of those since I got tired of selling stuff to them and wanted to start putting my furniture back.

I hope beetles are ridiculously valuable in City Folk like they were in Wild World. They took up less space so having tons of them netted big money :applause:
[quote name='nbballard']I was really looking forward to the flea market- because some of my residents had fish i wanted to pick up- but then friday night, they ALL approached me asking for bugs and stuff. I didn't think twice, and gave them all pill bugs, and mole crickets and what not, then the next day, all the fish were gone, and the bugs were there instead. Dumb me.[/quote]
You should try to get them to trade. Always have shirts and furniture with you, and when they ask for it they might offer you the fish in exchange.
I know Lucy traded me her Tuna for a piece of classic furniture :lol:

I don't think I'd do it again for next month. It's kind of annoying to have to dedicate a whole room just for storing fish. In my case, I used most of my second floor and part of my basement. Then I had to move all of my furniture around just to set up for the flea market and I made sure to do it well in advance. My main floor is totally empty now except for one table lamp.

If I needed the Bells, then I'd do it again, but I'd rather just have furniture in my house and not bother with the flea market anymore. I'd make another character just for selling in the flea market, but since it wouldn't be my main character, the animals wouldn't pay as high prices as they would with my main character.

bread's done
Back