Animal Crossing Wii to be MMO???

mykee98

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Just saw this on gonintendo this would be awesome if true:

EDGE magazine says Animal Crossing Wii to go MMO

This is not a confirmation from Nintendo. This comes from the latest issue of EDGE magazine.
An EDGE magazine excerpt…
“A Japanese source has confirmed to Edge that the upcoming Wii iteration of Animal Crossing is set to be a social networking MMO.”
No…this couldn’t be. If this were to happen, Nintendo will have made an awesome move with the series. It’s what fans have wanted for a long time. It’s just too good to be true! Let’s hope EDGE’s informant is on the money with this one.

I can see this being true, but I wouldn't expect a traditional MMO experience. Nintendo will put its own "safe" spin on it, I'm sure.

I'll buy into the MO but not MMO. I'm not ready to invest the time for MASSIVE FRIEND CODE ACTION.

They better use Mii's though. No more triangle nose, hat wearing, anonymous guy.

Probably some kind of English taught child slave labor from Indoneisa will be used to monitor the MMO services at all time so that Nintendo can save a buck and still say that it thinks "of the children".

Well the ones that can afford their consoles anyway.

If this is for real I hope having the gamecube version unlocks features. I don't want it to use my existing town because that would mean I have to go in there and clean out the weeds and roaches. :D

i certainly want to still keep my own town in animal crossing. but i've always wanted to go to a social town where everyone could go. while there, we could buy and sell, take part is festivals, competitions, games, here lectures on how to plant flowers, and so on.

just going to someone elses town is a little lame. they could do so much more.

I can't decide whether or not this is how I'd like the series to evolve. If it goes to MMO, then how is it any different than any other MMOs?

Without out it, it seems more unique.

Knowing Nintendo, they'd implement an MMO in such a way that before you could log on the sever you'd have to enter the friend code of everybody already on the server -- plus they'd all have to add you.

the more i think about this, the more i like it. i'd actually love to have my house be in a neighborhood. i'd like to have my own yard that no one could touch. but as soon as i left my property i'd enter a world filled with others. i'd want the ability to buy more property from tom nook, or even sell my house, buy another, and move across town.

i think this could really be good.

This would be nice if they can find a suitable way to manage the economy. I find that's often the more unrealistic parts of MMO's (Eve has done the best so far though).

They could very well market it as their kiddy answer to PS3's Home, but it won't happen. Strangers over the internet want to rape you but friend codes save lives.

as much as i love nintendo, they will screw online up.

they make some killer games, but cut themselves short with the online expernece. they need to get away with from the friend codes and realize they don't have to make friend codes a requirments.

they have parental controls, so with that feature its up to the parents if they want to limit their kids experience. they can always implent a feature where parents can choose friend codes to be enabled and have the rest of the people who are old enough to make their own decision or whose parents aren't asses to enjoy themselves with an xbox live-type environment.

Its just a matter of time before AC would come out. The MMO bit sounds cool but the friend codes could screw it up. Unless you are in a town with everyone but they can not come onto your property unless friend codes are exchanged.

My biggest beef with Animal Crossing:

Tom Nook: Looks like you've paid off your loan. Would you like me to upgrade your house.
Me: NO!
Tom Nook: Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! I'll get right to work! You owe me $1.5mil bels

That drives me nuts and actually stops me from playing. If I say, "No, I don't want you to do it," it ought to mean, "No!"

Seems like in MMO game you'd be more likely to get Tom Nook up upgrade your house so you could show it off to others. In the regular game I just don't care. Of course, I get a little annoyed with the busy-work, too (Greg Gorilla wants you deliver this stamp to Sarah Squirrel - will you do it?).

I think, ultimately, Animal Crossing isn't geared for me because of all the busy work, though.

[quote name='Brad Bishop']
I think, ultimately, Animal Crossing isn't geared for me because of all the busy work, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. You've basically said "I don't like all the things about Animal Crossing that make it Animal Crossing."

Unless you're really into the fishing/fossil digging/bug catching, doesn't seem like your type of game. Which is fine, of course.

I imagine ACWii (haha, AC3...Wii....heh heh....hoooooo) can't be much different than the DS version, but with a lot more stuff to do and upgraded graphics.

I still maintain that it would be in Nintendo's best interest to open up the game to indie devs/individuals, who could program in content for the game. I.e., I was disappointed that there isn't a simple little pool game associated with the pool table when you get it. And there could be a silly little gashapon type thing with the slot machine.

Essentially, allow people to take all those pieces of furniture, and create useful modules for them, which would actively encourage players to seek them out if they wanted to play with them.

I mean, if any Wii game is screaming out for DLC, it's Animal Crossing. Just make it some kind of advanced Wiiware module that lets you mess around with some simple code or something.

I doubt it'll ever happen, but it would be great if it did. Great in a "hands in the pants forever" sort of way.

They made me keep my hands in my pants for a week. WOW, what a week!

there are a lot of different enhancements that nintendo could do to make this game a homerun. I'm not looking for a drastic change to the game, but it would really be nice to have a more advanced level of customization for clothes, furniture, etc.

also being able to live in a community with easier way to visit the other towns would be great. not just a port of the ds version of the game.

seriously and I know its been said over and over again but if I already have my friend's wii code linked to my wii I'm pretty sure I would trust that person enough to not cus at my daughter online. Having a seperate code for each game is overkill. I barely get online with the wii and this is annoying.

Oh well. On the upside, I won't have to worry about anyone rushing in and chopping down all my trees and taking all my gold flowers.

I could see them implementing the system they had in place for AC:WW. Not an MMO, but still online.

[quote name='Brad Bishop']My biggest beef with Animal Crossing:

Tom Nook: Looks like you've paid off your loan. Would you like me to upgrade your house.
Me: NO!
Tom Nook: Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! I'll get right to work! You owe me $1.5mil bels

That drives me nuts and actually stops me from playing. If I say, "No, I don't want you to do it," it ought to mean, "No!"
[/QUOTE]

So why don't you just not pay him in the first place?

I think the Joystiq article misinterpreted Iwata's quote:

Specifically, Iwata stated that Nintendo would only pursue MMO development if the title could appeal to people of all ages, from "5 to 95." Looking at Second Life, Iwata belives that MMOs aren't yet accessible to people without a fair degree of computer literacy, and that Nintendo would want to successfully cross that bridge before considering going the MMO route.
I don't see anything in there that explicitly says Nintendo is not planning/considering an Animal Crossing MMO -- it sounds to me that he's saying if it can be done so that it's approachable by everyone without a technical background, Nintendo will gladly go for it.

--R.J.

Honestly I could care less if ACWii is an mmo.

If anything it'd be a downgrade for me. No MMO has really been that good, I doubt AC would change that for me and it'd probably lose it's charming appeal of small towns in the process. I doubt Nintendo would go to the lengths to ever make a server big enough for an ac mmo..let alone an mmo without charging us as well.

bread's done
Back