Anime like B Gata H Kei?

Naterrs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
70 (100%)
I recently watched B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time and loved it, and I was hoping someone could recommend an anime that's close to it in quality. I thought it would be at least silly and entertaining but it ended up being one of my new favorites. The biggest reason for this is, besides the great humor, it has some roots in reality along with the ridiculous premise; the awkward blossoming teenage love feels real, and there's (almost) no nose bleeds.

I'm not against the nose bleed, in fact I'm watching and enjoying Baka and Test which features it heavily, but it's nice to see an anime that strays from the standard anime tropes. If the main male character gets excited by a girl he doesn't freak out and run away or have blood spurting from his nose, he actually gets a boner, crazy right?

I also love the English voice actors, Brittney Karbowski has a ridiculously cute voice. On that note I usually watch my anime dubbed, as horrifying as that sounds to some purists. I like to be able to watch without staring at subtitles the whole time, so a good English cast is a plus.

I've also been craving a fantasy anime recently, something traditional with swords, elves, magic, etc. I checked out Slayers and might end up purchasing it if I find it on sale, but it's a little older for my taste. I also watched a couple episodes of Fairy Tail, which seems okay. It has nice animation, I didn't love it though. Maybe that's because I was hoping for a more serious fantasy anime. My friend recommended Sword Art Online but that's not available on Amazon and I'd like something I can purchase.

Might wanna merge this with the general anime thread.

Fantasy anime is a rare breed. Tower of Druaga is good, but the best fantasy series, IMO, are Escaflowne and Record of Lodoss War. Both are out of print.

As for Ecchi anime, I am not sure about ones grounded in reality, but Heaven's Lost Property is funny as hell. Girls' Bravo is slightly less absurd but still awesome.

If you want a romance series...yea...somebody else can recommend that.

Don't judge Slayers by it's age.  It's a great comedy/fantasy series, and there are two seasons from only a few years ago.

I don't recomnend Girls Bravo to anyone.It's everything that's wrong with harems.Has a shit plot,shit characters except one for one,and most of all it's not funny.Unless you enjoyed a lot of fanservice with no substance,then stay away

I also would recommend Slayers along with El-hazard the magnificent world and El-hazard the Wanderers which are both pretty underated but are really enjoyably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't Girls Bravo to anyone.It's everything that's wrong with harems.Has a shit plot,shit characters except one for one,and most of all it's not funny.Unless you enjoyed a lot of fanservice with no substance,then stay away.
I love Girls Bravo just for Fukuyama. He and his sister easily make the show. Probably why I enjoy HLP so much.

bread's done
Back