Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
know how i said i was really disappointed with hastings. i just couldn't pass up getting samurai 7 the limited edition box set with the guidebooks for 10 bucks. back where i started. 

so yeah gohastings officially canceled my order of RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne because they ran out of stock...

this is twice gohastings has made me sad with rin :(

know how i said i was really disappointed with hastings. i just couldn't pass up getting samurai 7 the limited edition box set with the guidebooks for 10 bucks. back where i started.
Let's see if you even get everything. I've seen people just trade-in the digibook before lol.

Got my Freezing LE from GH today. Nice job sending it in a bubble mailer but eh, it was cheap.

Let's see if you even get everything. I've seen people just trade-in the digibook before lol.

Got my Freezing LE from GH today. Nice job sending it in a bubble mailer but eh, it was cheap.

Ugh I feel like punching you!!! I too ordered the LE from Gohastings but instead got the Damn standard version. I think you may have gotten my copy :(

Can anyone reccomend me a Gundam series?

G is my favorite and I've seen a bit of the original and Wing.
There is no other Gundam series like G. It stands alone as a monument to exaggeration.

08th MS Team is a personal favourite. It's a Gundams-in-the-jungle side story that feels very much like Gundam warfare transposed into Vietnam.

The Gundam 00 series is quite good. It's also one of the more recent series so it should be a little easier to find. I would recommend that.

Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny are worth a look, but require a higher tolerance for teenage angst. All Gundam series have teenage angst to one degree or another. It's a very common element that all of Gundam seems to consistently explore. But in Seed and Seed Destiny they ratchet the teenage angst up to eleven. All teenage angst, all the time. If you're okay with that, than Seed and Destiny will be a fun romp.

Zeta Gundam is good, but a bit dated. It is a continuation of the storyline presented in the original Gundam series. If you liked that one and want to see what some of the characters get up to, Zeta is an easy recommendation.

wow fuck. maybe i should just cancel and get the 7 disc red box case. not gonna go through all this hassel again

edit: sold out of everything samurai 7 related. let's just hope for the best. it's not classified as previously viewed instead its just used which means it has to come from somewhere

Update on the VG copy I bought, which arrived today: It indeed came with the chipboard box and came in great condition (a slight dent on one of the chipboard box's corners, but it's not bad at all). :D/
Hooray!

Although now I feel like a chump because I've been looking for a cheap blu ray sized chipboard box to make a custom one for AoT. ~_~

There is no other Gundam series like G. It stands alone as a monument to exaggeration.

08th MS Team is a personal favourite. It's a Gundams-in-the-jungle side story that feels very much like Gundam warfare transposed into Vietnam.

The Gundam 00 series is quite good. It's also one of the more recent series so it should be a little easier to find. I would recommend that.

Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny are worth a look, but require a higher tolerance for teenage angst. All Gundam series have teenage angst to one degree or another. It's a very common element that all of Gundam seems to consistently explore. But in Seed and Seed Destiny they ratchet the teenage angst up to eleven. All teenage angst, all the time. If you're okay with that, than Seed and Destiny will be a fun romp.

Zeta Gundam is good, but a bit dated. It is a continuation of the storyline presented in the original Gundam series. If you liked that one and want to see what some of the characters get up to, Zeta is an easy recommendation.
08th MS Team was really flawed.I enjoyed how they grounded it to reality somewhat which gave you some really good battle scenes. What brought the series down for me thought was the extremely forced romance.Then the ending which was so tacked on(am aware the original director sadly passed away during production which probably had an effect on that). I don't regret watching it,but it's not I see myself watching again.

went to bestbuy and had a giftcard. saw akira 25th blu ray. pm'd amazon for 17. ended up paying 4 out of pocket. 

bidded on stardust memory earlier today and within 5 seconds it went from my 18 dollar bid to 45 lol 

two questions:

is char's counterattack good and do you have to watch the original msg to understand it

is x by clamp a good anime?
Char's counterattack I feel is the best Gundam movie out there. Watching the original series will give things a little better context, but it's definitely an accessible movie of you haven't seen the original series.

X I have a harder time recommending though. It's a really good series, but it's somewhat challenging to follow due to the large number of characters and the lack of time spent on anyone but the 2 main characters. If you were to watch it if recommend picking up the Tokyo Babylon manga that's the prequel and then picking up the X manga before watching the show. They both flesh out the characters and make the anime really enjoyable.

Finished Kids on the Slope.It was a great but a flawed show. I wasn't a fan of the whole love triangle that was going on,and the last few episodes were rushed somewhat(I did like the ending even though it wasn't received well apparently). The highlight of series for me was the duo with Kaoru and Sentaro at the end of episode 7 which was such a beautiful and moving scene.

Next up is Time of EVE!

two questions:

is char's counterattack good and do you have to watch the original msg to understand it

is x by clamp a good anime?

Char's counterattack I feel is the best Gundam movie out there. Watching the original series will give things a little better context, but it's definitely an accessible movie of you haven't seen the original series.

X I have a harder time recommending though. It's a really good series, but it's somewhat challenging to follow due to the large number of characters and the lack of time spent on anyone but the 2 main characters. If you were to watch it if recommend picking up the Tokyo Babylon manga that's the prequel and then picking up the X manga before watching the show. They both flesh out the characters and make the anime really enjoyable.
Actually, that movie takes place after Gundam ZZ. But like kmitchell28 said, you can watch it fine by itself.

Ended up ordering another Sankarea set just to have. There were 17 left after I ordered fyi.

EDIT: If anyone was interested in Sentai's A-Channel series, Amazon has it mispriced at $22.48 right now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW6KVIK/

Can anyone reccomend me a Gundam series?

G is my favorite and I've seen a bit of the original and Wing.
Highly recommend 0080: War in the Pocket. Probably one of my all time favorites in the Gundam franchise, and possibly one of the most unique entries in the series. However, if you haven't seen the original show in it's entirety, I'd say watch the original movie trilogy instead. It's superior to the series and the animation is improved. It's not a hack-job movie compilation like the terrible SEED movies.

08th MS Team was really flawed.
(shrug) We all have our personal tastes. I will agree that the character development in 80th was more than a little rushed, and was one of the weaker aspects of the series. And the romance was quite forced, that is true. It still remains one of my more favored Gundam series though.

I acquired the import version of Time of Eve on Blu-Ray, and haven't gotten around to evaluating it yet. I would love to hear about how the new release stacks up.

are the original mobile suit gundam movies a retelling of the anime series or continuation of the story. original is too expensive. movies a little cheaper

are the original mobile suit gundam movies a retelling of the anime series or continuation of the story. original is too expensive. movies a little cheaper
The original Gundam movies are a retelling of the series. The old footage is re-edited, and new (circa 1980) footage is added, but it's in no way a continuation of the show.

I've always found the films to be light years above the original series, plus they removed some of the more 'super robot' aspects, none of which really had any place in Gundam (ie the beam javelin, the Gundam Hammer, the ridiculous G-Fighter etc). Highly recommend checking the trilogy out.

The original Gundam movies are a retelling of the series. The old footage is re-edited, and new (circa 1980) footage is added, but it's in no way a continuation of the show.

I've always found the films to be light years above the original series, plus they removed some of the more 'super robot' aspects, none of which really had any place in Gundam (ie the beam javelin, the Gundam Hammer, the ridiculous G-Fighter etc). Highly recommend checking the trilogy out.
i'll take your word for it

so-so

Retelling. I prefer the series though. (note, the release of the movie trilogy is sub only)
Do you think that affects the movie enjoyment in anyway? As in is the dub better or will the sub be more authentic.

Also A-Channel being so-so. Did you like it? Is it worth 20 bucks or should I just cancel?

Do you think that affects the movie enjoyment in anyway? As in is the dub better or will the sub be more authentic.

Also A-Channel being so-so. Did you like it? Is it worth 20 bucks or should I just cancel?
That's a personal preference that only you can answer. If you are shooting for authenticity then learn Japanese lol. Actually, I just remembered that there IS a dub for the trilogy but only in the original release. The re-release is sub only.

Dunno, watched some clips on youtube and it seemed ok. Nothing ground breaking or such. Only preordered it because it was cheap.

No. I checked my Gundam collection, it is actually only the VHS tapes that have the dub on them lol. Sorry about that.

I saw an interesting bootleg Gundam bluray waltzing around on eBay just know. Makes me wonder if bootleggers will start bringing over the other blurays. Interesting indeed.

No. I checked my Gundam collection, it is actually only the VHS tapes that have the dub on them lol. Sorry about that.

I saw an interesting bootleg Gundam bluray waltzing around on eBay just know. Makes me wonder if bootleggers will start bringing over the other blurays. Interesting indeed.
i've seen some pretty tight gundam dvd bootlegs for 08ms and 079 just right now. wing has the one complete bootleg box that everyone buys. gundam bootlegs are a huge thing at the current moment. i'll see one go up listed as if it is the real thing and boom thirty-an hour later its gone.

apparently the movies are only subbed which i don't mind.

After we had the gundam discussion my fandom just keeps going. I now have volumes 1-6 of seed shipped. And just ordered 08th ms. Now trying to get the msg movies

The series is actually non-canonical as Zeta uses the movies for backstory. Helps that the movies are what made Gundam a success, not the series.

Don't forget about Unicorn though. It's actually still in print thanks to Nozomi.

And while it gets a lot of flak, I personally thought SD Gundam Force was awesome.

The series is actually non-canonical as Zeta uses the movies for backstory. Helps that the movies are what made Gundam a success, not the series.
Don't forget about Unicorn though. It's actually still in print thanks to Nozomi.
And while it gets a lot of flak, I personally thought SD Gundam Force was awesome.

I bought it anyway to see the series without having to pay an arm and a leg.

How much are the unicorn blus? Aren't they expensive af?

Sd gundam as in the toys lol?

How much are the unicorn blus? Aren't they expensive af?
The blus are insanely expensive, $40+ for one 75 minute episode, and yea they look awesome but I would recommend picking up the DVDs since they're license by Rightstuf and are around $20 for 2 episodes on each disc. So either you pay $280 for the series on Bluray or $80 on DVD.

Also, the Bluray are basically Japanese imports so they auto play in Japanese with no subs and you have to change everything over when it starts playing. I had bought one Blu before they announced Rightstuf picked up the series and really didn't see much difference between the blus and the DVD.

Sd gundam as in the toys lol?
It was a lighter children's show made for America a few years ago. Season 1 is split into 9 DVDs so it's not worth collecting but Season 2 is all in one boxset. It's not as reference-heavy as Build Fighters but it is quite charming and the ultimate forms of the main 3 Gundams are bad ass.

Bakunetsumaru was even Yuri Lowenthal's first major VA role.

After we had the gundam discussion my fandom just keeps going. I now have volumes 1-6 of seed shipped. And just ordered 08th ms. Now trying to get the msg movies
I feel the need to collect Gundam now lol (still not a huge fan tho), is there some mystical master list I should reference?

I feel the need to collect Gundam now lol (still not a huge fan tho), is there some mystical master list I should reference?
TVTropes has a good list.

Here is a decent list. Bold means it was licensed here at some point.

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: Movie Trilogy
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation
Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
G in Reconguista

Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
After War Gundam X
Turn A Gundam (was technically licensed, but Bandai folded before releasing it)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (along with the movies)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (along with the movies and Final Plus)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: A wakening of the Trailblazer
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Gundam Build Fighters
Gundam Build Fighters Try
SD Gundam Force

TVTropes has a good list.
Here is a decent list. Bold means it was licensed here at some point.Mobile Suit GundamMobile Suit Gundam: Movie TrilogyMobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the PocketMobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS TeamMobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust MemoryMobile Suit Zeta GundamMobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation
Mobile Suit ZZ GundamMobile Suit Gundam: Char's CounterattackMobile Suit Gundam UnicornMobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
G in ReconguistaMobile Fighter G GundamMobile Suit Gundam WingMobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
After War Gundam X
Turn A Gundam (was technically licensed, but Bandai folded before releasing it)Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (along with the movies)Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (along with the movies and Final Plus)Mobile Suit Gundam 00Mobile Suit Gundam 00: A wakening of the Trailblazer
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Gundam Build Fighters
Gundam Build Fighters TrySD Gundam Force
Annnnnd I have some work to do... I hopen most of these come in small/ complete collection sets

Any here recommend buying the premium psycho pass for $50 new even though I already have the regular edition set?I'm tempted but idk
All you get is a box, a badge holder, decal, and a keychain. If you think a nice box is worth $50, one that was reportedly flawed for some, then go for it? I personally avoided it. I had that set pre-ordered at first but cancelled it once the standard versions dropped in price.

Any here recommend buying the premium psycho pass for $50 new even though I already have the regular edition set?I'm tempted but idk
I bought it at 80ish and while there were some...issues that's still pretty good to get it new. I mean you would spend about the same buying the standards. If only I could get kamisama kiss goddess edition for that price.

I have the dubbed VHS copies. It's a great dub, better than the dub that they later used for the original Gundam TV series and Char's Counterattack. If you still have a VCR I'm sure you can find those old VHS tapes for sale on eBay at a fraction of what the DVDs are going for.

I have the dubbed VHS copies. It's a great dub, better than the dub that they later used for the original Gundam TV series and Char's Counterattack. If you still have a VCR I'm sure you can find those old VHS tapes for sale on eBay at a fraction of what the DVDs are going for.
What? Lol the dub for the movies is so bad. "GUN DAMN!"

http://youtu.be/-zXQYsYwmxo

The Wing, G, and SEED/Destiny sets have gone down a LOT since Bandai went out of business. 00 tends to have peaks and valleys. MSG and Zeta are still expensive though.

bread's done
Back