Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe Rock the Dragon sold out at $42.  I'd have assumed anyone that would have wanted it would have already owned it by now.  (I have a vague recollection of getting a $20 warehouse copy).  Then again, I guess if they were only selling 5 of them that would be significantly less surprising.

Amazing price on Appleseed. Not like Best Buy hasn't had it at that price for a year now...

Amazon, you're doing a pretty shit job of making me want Amazon Prime.

EDIT: In actual deals, Viz added a bunch of Shoujo Beat digital manga bundle deals. Their Akira Toriyama deal is also still going on, where you can get every volume of Dragonball and Jaco for $3 each.

Anime deals are starting to show up on Amazon:

$9.99 - Appleseed Alpha (Blu Ray)

$41.99 - DBZ: Rock the Dragon DVD Collection
Yeah those are deals haha.

I don't know why people thought that AMZ would offer anything worth while for us Anime fans. I mean AMZ is after all the leading in PM'ing everyone else and passing it off as a deal.

I'm sure today will close without anything exciting being offered. Considering that most of the stuff that has been offered today has been crap anyway.

761481.jpg

Amazing price on Appleseed. Not like Best Buy hasn't had it at that price for a year now...

Amazon, you're doing a pretty shit job of making me want Amazon Prime.

EDIT: In actual deals, Viz added a bunch of Shoujo Beat digital manga bundle deals. Their Akira Toriyama deal is also still going on, where you can get every volume of Dragonball and Jaco for $3 each.
You are missing the most important one... Dr. Slump! So tempted, but I bought the first three volumes already. Still a good deal, just not as good of a deal.

And after I bought that St. Seiya bundle last month (word to the wise: the Knights of the Zodiac digital release not only still has the English adaptation names like Princess Sienna, they couldn't even be bothered to match up the two page spreads... anyone own their digital Dragonball that can vouch for the quality of that release?)

Speaking of Viz digital manga... did they somehow lose the license to Rumiko Takahashi stuff digitally? I bought a few volumes of Inuyasha, so they show up in my app, but I can't buy any more... and I really wouldn't mind Ranma digitally.

Rightstuf releasing most of the Gundam makes me happy, and seeing more classic shows getting releases here puts a smile on my face instead of all of the insert lonly boy with many girls shows that are popular in america.

Rightstuf releasing most of the Gundam makes me happy, and seeing more classic shows getting releases here puts a smile on my face instead of all of the insert lonly boy with many girls shows that are popular in america.
Harems are popular in America? I thought they were just popular in Japan. I thought ecchi was what's popular here.

Is there a Viz manga sale at RightStuf now, or are their new regular prices what the old Viz sales used to be (ie:  33% off)?

Does anyone know if the Attack on Titan Before the Fall Hard Cover edition will be available somewhere else down the line? I've been trying to buy it using their site but have not had any success, as it just keeps crashing on me during checkout. :(

Does anyone know if the Attack on Titan Before the Fall Hard Cover edition will be available somewhere else down the line? I've been trying to buy it using their site but have not had any success, as it just keeps crashing on me during checkout. :(
If you really want it, you might be able get on live chat and have them put in an order for you. I mean, they still accept mail orders for some reason.

Is there a Viz manga sale at RightStuf now, or are their new regular prices what the old Viz sales used to be (ie: 33% off)?
Are you sure you're not looking at the member price only?

Most of the Viz manga I've looked through are still the typical 25% off for non-members, but 33% off for members, which is normal. During their manga sales it used to be "up to 40%" off if you are a member, and 33% off for non members.

FUNImation has reduced the prices on all Dragonball stuff in their store.

Also, if you happen to have a MovieStop near you, they are running a B2G1 for $1 on all Used Movies $29.99 or less, which is 95% of their Used anime.

EDIT: A handful of titles are on sale at Walmart.

Steins;Gate Anime Classics ($27.48) - http://www.walmart.com/ip/38082724

Inari KonKon ($27.48) - http://www.walmart.com/ip/44896602

Freezing Season 1 ($21.48) - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Freezing-The-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray-DVD-Widescreen/37146430

There are also a large amount of Sentai Blu-rays for $35.

Can anyone sell me on renewing my GA membership. I've noticed it's not constantly mentioned on the site, is it now considered a nessisary evil instead of a luxury?

Can anyone sell me on renewing my GA membership. I've noticed it's not constantly mentioned on the site, is it now considered a nessisary evil instead of a luxury?
I've been contemplating it as well, and I'm going to do it and see how useful it is. There is no telling if it will be of any use during the holiday sales or not (that's a big if), and it's worth much more it if you want to preorder something or plan to buy a decent amount of manga/visual novels/playing cards, etc.

It's probably closer to a necessary evil if the only thing you really get is anime though, but considering how well they ship things (unlike Amazon or DD - seriously, how the heck did DD stay in business if they were that bad at shipping for years? O.O ), I'd complain at the new website first.

It's probably closer to a necessary evil if the only thing you really get is anime though, but considering how well they ship things (unlike Amazon or DD - seriously, how the heck did DD stay in business if they were that bad at shipping for years? O.O ), I'd complain at the new website first.
Yea I keep seeing the "member price" for everything whereas b4 most of nothing was every usable with the GA. Just seems like they raised prices for everyone who doesn't have it.

I've been contemplating it as well, and I'm going to do it and see how useful it is. There is no telling if it will be of any use during the holiday sales or not (that's a big if), and it's worth much more it if you want to preorder something or plan to buy a decent amount of manga/visual novels/playing cards, etc.

It never stacks with the waves or 12+ sales, so you can throw that idea out the window now. Outside of random glitches when it does stack, but then they fix the glitch, it doesn't work.

The discounts are super tricky through because they don't even give you a full 10% off discount on the retail price since they discount the discounted price, so there is never really a "10%" extra discount, which kinda blows, but aw well.

Also, I do remember a time when DD actually shipped things not in plastic bags, but that was many moons ago, so it's certainly been a huge decline in that part quality wise. The main complaint in the past wasn't really that the shipping method was garbage, but you had to wait 5 months to get anything to actually ship from the site. As the years progressed they have gotten better at shipping it relatively sooner, but the thing that has gotten much worse is their shipping methods. Just can't seem to have both on the same level. ~_~

Yea I keep seeing the "member price" for everything whereas b4 most of nothing was every usable with the GA. Just seems like they raised prices for everyone who doesn't have it.
I can explain that one. It just seems that so many things are more eligible for the GA discount now because they altered the model of their "weekly sales" (even though they sometime ran for a month) items, which used to include a ton of titles. They've basically removed that old format now, so those hundreds of items that used to be a part of that random sale which included all those items that weren't eligible for discounts are now all eligible for discounts, but now that they're not on those "weekly sales" list, more items seem more expensive too because of that since they were a bit cheaper if they were on that list.

I guess on one hand it's good they got rid of that randomly rotating list of items on "sale", but also like you said, it makes it seem like everything is more expensive now because those hundreds of items that used to be listed every "week" are no longer getting those extra discounts.

In a nutshell, sadface. ~_~

I don't buy enough anime from Right Stuf to warrant the GA discount but I guess I'm more of a casual watcher/buyer than a hardcore one. I've noticed in the past year or so, RS's prices are starting to shoot up again so I've been buying anime from Amazon instead. I think it's only for the guys who are actively buying anime/manga on a monthly basis. Now if RS would follow the Best Buy GCU, I would be all over that (I know they aren't a corporation so it won't happen). But hey, at least RS is better than that other site!

As for Deep Discount, my favorite memory was when I bought anime from them via a Bandai sale in 2010. I got everything except Outlaw Star which shipped five months later. I only kept the order in place because it was $20. My biggest horror story is when I ordered some Blus for Christmas for my mom and the case of one blu ray was completely crushed and it took them over a month to replace it. After Christmas. =/ 

The evaluation on GA is still fundamentally the same; if you spend more than $120 on preorders and studio sales, then it's worth having.

The only drag is that we can't combine two studio sales at once anymore, so it might be more difficult to hit that target number.

It never stacks with the waves or 12+ sales, so you can throw that idea out the window now. Outside of random glitches when it does stack, but then they fix the glitch, it doesn't work.

The discounts are super tricky through because they don't even give you a full 10% off discount on the retail price since they discount the discounted price, so there is never really a "10%" extra discount, which kinda blows, but aw well.

Also, I do remember a time when DD actually shipped things not in plastic bags, but that was many moons ago, so it's certainly been a huge decline in that part quality wise. The main complaint in the past wasn't really that the shipping method was garbage, but you had to wait 5 months to get anything to actually ship from the site. As the years progressed they have gotten better at shipping it relatively sooner, but the thing that has gotten much worse is their shipping methods. Just can't seem to have both on the same level. ~_~

In a nutshell, sadface. ~_~
Thanks! :)

The discounts aren't a true 10% off and it does blow, but outside of the waves and 12+ sales, I pretty much don't buy much anime from them unless it's a preorder or it's a volume in a series (16+ DVD cases of Rurouni Kenshin, 10 for Crest of the Stars and 8 for Escaflowne takes up too much room though). It would be mostly manga and visual novels now so in theory it should be great.

The really sad thing is that any anime I bought right now I could effortlessly wait 6+ months for, so I couldn't complain about that even if I wanted to XD. Still, as long as its shipped in a box then it seems to come out well enough from DD for now.

I do kind of miss the large weekly sales though.

EDIT: The digital manga bundles that DNukem170 brought up on Viz Media are still there. I may not be able to pass up on that DBZ bundle.

Most of the stuff I buy from RightStuf are their own Nozomi titles, as their base price is usually a few bucks cheaper than other places plus no tax, or if the title has some special extra gift (a la their Sailor Moon releases). 

They used to be my main manga supplier, but I have bought extremely little manga in the past year and outside of Weekly Shonen Jump I don't really read any of them. I still have about 5 volumes of Negima, 6 volumes of Rosario + Vampire Season 2, and entire arcs of Pokemon Adventures I haven't read.

Hmm good to know, I do typically preorder every LE title bc I hate dealing with thing randomly going oop. Eh I guess I'll get it thanks for the responses.

Damn, that's looks really good. I wish I knew some friends that baked cool things like this. I've always been tempted to buy dumb cookie cutters from licensed things but never went through with it. I'm the kind of guy that can follow instructions but hate when others are around to experience my cooking blunders. 

it depends what you want from a manga. My Hero Academia is a great new shonen series involving a class of super heroes with some bigger things going on in the background. The main character is done in a very interesting way, and there is a ton of creativity in the series. That being said it's far more of a fun romp than an intricate story like full metal alchemist.

if you like shonen shows though I'd easily recommend checking out hero academia though. At the same time you should check out one punch man (getting an anime this fall) as it's also just a fun romp.

it depends what you want from a manga. My Hero Academia is a great new shonen series involving a class of super heroes with some bigger things going on in the background. The main character is done in a very interesting way, and there is a ton of creativity in the series. That being said it's far more of a fun romp than an intricate story like full metal alchemist.

if you like shonen shows though I'd easily recommend checking out hero academia though. At the same time you should check out one punch man (getting an anime this fall) as it's also just a fun romp.
Thanks. I definitely plan on getting One-Punch Man because it sounds like a great time, but I'm waiting for Amazon to drop the price a bit first.

Thanks. I definitely plan on getting One-Punch Man because it sounds like a great time, but I'm waiting for Amazon to drop the price a bit first.
Just get One-Punch Man from the current Rightstuf sale.Each volume comes out to $6.67.

Also JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1--Phantom Blood, Vol. 1 is on sale for $11.26 on Amazon for those interested.

Claymore and Rosario+Vampire complete box sets are mine!
I would like to point out that these are also available for preorder on amazon for a few dollars more if you prefer to get them there for $8 or $9 more.

Was just at Books-a-Million and they had a handful of manga at B2G1 Free. A bunch of Viz manga on one of their rotating tower things, Assassination Classroom Vume 1-4, Big Hero 6 Volume 1, Zelda: A Link to the Past, and the hardcover version of the Wolf's Children novel.

Sentai releases for November:

Glasslip (DVD and Bluray)
He is my Master (Sentai Select DVD)
Hidamari Sketch: Honeycomb Season 4 (DVD)
Blue Spring Ride aka Ao Haru Ride (DVD and Bluray)
La Corda D’Oro: Blue Sky Season 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Gatchaman: Movie (DVD and Bluray includes English Dub)
Angelic Layers (Sentai Select DVD)
Dramatical Murder (DVD and Bluray includes English Dub)
Invaders of the Rokujyoma!? (DVD and Bluray)

Went to Costco today for lunch and saw Ghibli DVDs for $13, Blu Rays for $17. Titles included: Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa, Ponyo, Castle in the Sky, Whisper of the Heart, and a few more. Didn't see Totoro though.

bread's done
Back