Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Figure this is as good a spot as any since no one goes to the lifestyle section, but I will be traveling to Japan in Sept for TGS. First time in the country. Yet I don't speak the language. Any advice? Places to visit?
First recommendation is to buy a JR rail pass before you go. You can't buy one once you are in Japan. It basically gives you free rides on the JR trains for wherever the hell you want to go. Wanna do a day trip to Kyoto? Go to the JR station office and get reserved seats, don't have to pay anything extra. There's a nice website that has all the train schedules and is in English (http://www.hyperdia.com/en/). I think there's an app too, but they may try to charge you money at some point. Once you're in Narita, I think you have to get your JR rail pass stamped. Just about all signs have an English translation so you shouldn't have trouble figuring it out. There'll probably be a dude asking folks if they want to take the Narita Express or whatever to Tokyo (which you should definitely take) and you can always ask that person how to get your shit stamped. The one thing the rail pass doesn't cover is the metro system within Tokyo (and other cities). However it's cheap as shit, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Once you get to Tokyo, the Yamanote line is the easiest JR line that will get you just about everywhere. It's a giant circle (ellipse?) around the city with major stops everywhere. All signs will be in English so you shouldn't have any problems here either. Really as long as you aren't trying to find an address and using maps, you should be safe. I have no idea how their address system works. If you are stuck and need to talk to someone in English, find someone young. Older people may straight up run away (and some younger people). Sometimes people will help you out if you look lost or want to chat with you, usually because they are curious about you or want to practice english. If you travel out to the country side or famous tourist locations outside of Tokyo, you may attract a lot of attention, which is usually positive. I personally bought a Lonely Planet guide when I did my own 2 week trip and planned out very basic stuff (visit Kamakura or Nikko) and figured out when I had to leave and return (using Hyperdia). I highly recommend Takayama (will be a really tough day trip, better to do over 2 days) and Matsumoto. Obviously everyone will recommend Kyoto. If you go to Kyoto, try to stay a couple days so you can hit up Nara and the crazy amount of temples. You'll be temple'd out. I could probably write several paragraphs of stuff to see, but the Lonely Planet guide can handle that. Anyways, have fun :D

First recommendation is to buy a JR rail pass before you go. You can't buy one once you are in Japan. It basically gives you free rides on the JR trains for wherever the hell you want to go. Wanna do a day trip to Kyoto? Go to the JR station office and get reserved seats, don't have to pay anything extra. There's a nice website that has all the train schedules and is in English (http://www.hyperdia.com/en/). I think there's an app too, but they may try to charge you money at some point. Once you're in Narita, I think you have to get your JR rail pass stamped. Just about all signs have an English translation so you shouldn't have trouble figuring it out. There'll probably be a dude asking folks if they want to take the Narita Express or whatever to Tokyo (which you should definitely take) and you can always ask that person how to get your shit stamped. The one thing the rail pass doesn't cover is the metro system within Tokyo (and other cities). However it's cheap as shit, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Once you get to Tokyo, the Yamanote line is the easiest JR line that will get you just about everywhere. It's a giant circle (ellipse?) around the city with major stops everywhere. All signs will be in English so you shouldn't have any problems here either. Really as long as you aren't trying to find an address and using maps, you should be safe. I have no idea how their address system works. If you are stuck and need to talk to someone in English, find someone young. Older people may straight up run away (and some younger people). Sometimes people will help you out if you look lost or want to chat with you, usually because they are curious about you or want to practice english. If you travel out to the country side or famous tourist locations outside of Tokyo, you may attract a lot of attention, which is usually positive. I personally bought a Lonely Planet guide when I did my own 2 week trip and planned out very basic stuff (visit Kamakura or Nikko) and figured out when I had to leave and return (using Hyperdia). I highly recommend Takayama (will be a really tough day trip, better to do over 2 days) and Matsumoto. Obviously everyone will recommend Kyoto. If you go to Kyoto, try to stay a couple days so you can hit up Nara and the crazy amount of temples. You'll be temple'd out. I could probably write several paragraphs of stuff to see, but the Lonely Planet guide can handle that. Anyways, have fun :D
Thank you for the tip about the rail pass. I really wouldn't have known about any of that.

I'll be in Beijing for 5 days, then a week in Tokyo. Any places that you would recommend visiting?

Thank you for the tip about the rail pass. I really wouldn't have known about any of that.

I'll be in Beijing for 5 days, then a week in Tokyo. Any places that you would recommend visiting?
While in Beijng be sure to check out some of the sweat shops that manufacture Wal*Mart's, and other major retailers, cheap low quality merchandise. No, better yet don't do that, they'd probably riot thinking you were a Wal*Mart overlord responsible for causing their unending 70+ work hours a week misery.

If you're just staying in Tokyo, you don't need a rail pass though. If you're going anywhere by bullet train/shinkansen (like Kyoto), then it is very much worth it. I'd also recommend a Suica (or similar card) that you can use at all the train & subway stations so that you don't have to buy a ticket each time. You won't need a Suica for the JR train stations if you get a rail pass, however it won't cover you for the subway, so you may still want to get a Suica.

Starkillr made some great suggestions, but if you don't already know, while in Tokyo, you'll of course want to hit up Akihabara.

If you have a phone that works there, be sure to rent a sim card (if you don't have service there already for less). I've had no issues with http://japan-wireless.com/ It definitely helps getting around having a map, though it's not as exact as I'd like.

Speaking of phones, don't forget to download google translate and the offline Japanese language pack :)

I also recommend https://www.timeout.com/tokyo if you're looking for something to do while you're there. If you need tickets to things, try here: https://www.govoyagin.com/things_to_do/japan

Beijing? Art district, Great Wall, Tienanmen Square, Forbidden City. 5 days tho...long time. Great Wall can take a whole day, rest you can probably cram into 1 day or split into two depending on how much time you want to spend there. There's also I think a man-made lake with cool restaurants around it. Also a bunch of karaoke shops more or less too where people straight up have guitars and are singing. It's pretty cool. I don't know of anything outside of Beijing tho that you can really do. Oh bring toilet paper...don't be like me and have to use chinese money as wipes! Also...don't do that either cuz if someone sees you, you might go to jail haha

I would just say get a guidebook for Tokyo. There's a ton to see and do there...too much to list. If you go to Akihabara, find a maid cafe.

realistically it's 4 days in Beijing since I lose a day flying. Plus I'll be exhausted after a 13 hour flight.

Does anyone know if hotels would hold their bags for a day or two? Example would be check in day 1, then check out day 2 but leave my luggage, and take the train to Kyoto for 2 days, then come back to the original hotel to check back in?

Any hotel recommendations?

realistically it's 4 days in Beijing since I lose a day flying. Plus I'll be exhausted after a 13 hour flight.

Does anyone know if hotels would hold their bags for a day or two? Example would be check in day 1, then check out day 2 but leave my luggage, and take the train to Kyoto for 2 days, then come back to the original hotel to check back in?

Any hotel recommendations?
They should...my tour guide made fun of me for staying at the same hotel as the first time I went to Japan, but I like it. It's cheap, nice room and has a lot of really random amenities (bowling alley, cafeteria, movie theater, I think even a dolphin show?? lol). It's called the Shinagawa Prince Hotel. He told me to stay at a hotel near Tokyo station next time. Since I can just hop on the Yamanote and go wherever I didn't see the difference, but you can probably find more fun little things to do right around your hotel if you're around Tokyo Station I guess. Maybe if you get hammered you don't have to go far to get home around there? shrug. Oh, other benefit of being at the Shinagawa hotel is: 1) Right next to JR station (really close) and 2) this JR station also has the bullet train to Kyoto or wherever you want to go. Not every station is also a bullet train station. Tokyo is also a bullet train station if you wanted to go to a "cooler" stop. Shinagawa Prince has like....3 or 4 buildings, so be sure to know which one you're booking your room in. Each one has it's own reception.

Oh, I stayed at the Shinagawa Prince as well a few years ago. Very convenient being right near the Shinagawa station as I was taking the shinkansen to tour the southern parts of Japan. They held my bag for at least a week or so while I was in Kyoto, Osaka etc.

The last two times though I've stayed at two different APA hotels. Even cheaper than the Prince and this last time I stayed at one that was basically across the street from the Akihabara JR station, it was very convenient and I didn't have to worry about staying out too late and missing the last train or something :)

That's the most important thing imo, make sure the hotel is close to a train or subway station as that's how you'll be getting around Tokyo.

I haven't left my bags there more than a few hours, so I can't say how long they would hold it. Most hotels of a certain level would, but it probably depends on how large they are. The Prince was huge compared to APA, so they might not have had much space.

Worse comes to worse, you can always try a coin locker, just make sure you find out how long you can leave your stuff in there. I never did look in to how often they get cleared out.

Coincidentally I am also going to be visiting Tokyo this September for 9 days. (It'll be my first time going back to Japan in 13 years since I studied abroad in Kobe for college.) The whole rail pass thing confuses me. I figure it would be much easier to just get a rechargeable card, but I did read online that effective as of around March 2016, Japan introduced a 3-day pass for Tokyo eligible only to out-of-country and prefecture visitors. It was like $40 and would be good for practically all lines. These passes could only be purchased at the airport kiosks. If anyone has gone recently, could this be confirmed since it seems like the best deal?

Just look for an airbnb with wifi hotspot. You

Coincidentally I am also going to be visiting Tokyo this September for 9 days. (It'll be my first time going back to Japan in 13 years since I studied abroad in Kobe for college.) The whole rail pass thing confuses me. I figure it would be much easier to just get a rechargeable card, but I did read online that effective as of around March 2016, Japan introduced a 3-day pass for Tokyo eligible only to out-of-country and prefecture visitors. It was like $40 and would be good for practically all lines. These passes could only be purchased at the airport kiosks. If anyone has gone recently, could this be confirmed since it seems like the best deal?
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html#anc03

You will need your passport, and it is only for Subway and not JR

Dang, and here I thought it was a deal too good to be true. So would it be recommended to just buy a reloadable card or get a 7-day pass for the $257 if I'm just in the Tokyo area?

Dang, and here I thought it was a deal too good to be true. So would it be recommended to just buy a reloadable card or get a 7-day pass for the $257 if I'm just in the Tokyo area?
Buy the reloadable card. The more expensive passes are meant for using the shinkansen to travel all around the country.

What date will in Japan. I'll be there from the 20th to 26th.

My Gundam 8th MS Team just shipped from Amazon! I know what i'm doing this week thats for sure and liking the talk for japan. Planning to go in a few years depending how things shape up with saving. How much do you guys think someone should save? Maybe 3 adults and a kid. 

My Gundam 8th MS Team just shipped from Amazon! I know what i'm doing this week thats for sure and liking the talk for japan. Planning to go in a few years depending how things shape up with saving. How much do you guys think someone should save? Maybe 3 adults and a kid.
Every time I visit Japan, $1,500 has been enough to fully enjoy the experience (not counting the price for the flight; didn't have to spend money on lodging because I stayed with friends).

Since you're going with 2 other adults, all of you could split lodging costs so it wouldn't be too expensive.

I was shopping around for some hotels and I'm not sure how you would fit a 4 people a room. The average room size is about as big as my bathroom lol

Airbnb might be a good alternative for you.

I was shopping around for some hotels and I'm not sure how you would fit a 4 people a room. The average room size is about as big as my bathroom lol

Airbnb might be a good alternative for you.
I think we were going for that as well with some Airbnb locations we looked into. s always seems a lay over in Bejing China is possible as well.

I was able to book a direct flight into Beijing as a 4 day stopover, then fly into Tokyo for 7 days. Total was about $700 with traveler insurance. Way cheaper than flying directly into Tokyo
Woah...that's really cheap. I may do that next time I visit myself haha. I want to hit up the art district again anyways.

Dang, all this talk of international travel and me feeling like I'm on a vacation if I can just travel beyond the county line. Someday I intend to make it as far west as Fry's Electronics... which is apparently on the eastside of Atlanta, that will be a day to remember... if or when that ever happens. :whistle2:?

Noticed I got a e-mail from F.Y.E. early in the week advertising that they've got the "Buy 2, Get 1 for $1" used sale going on again through Saturday, May 6th! Shall have to try and get over there Saturday and see if they've put out anything else since this sale last transpired a couple weeks ago.

Out of curiosity, is anyone interested in picking up the Akira manga box set that will be released later this year by Kodansha? Despite my decision to stop purchasing manga and sell off practically my entire collection in favor of space for Blu-rays, I really want to get this. It'll be the first time the manga will be released in the U.S. unflipped and in hardcover to boot. I love the Akira film but many say the manga is better since it obviously completes the story. I never did read it just because of the whole flipped controversy. Any opinions?

^ Flipped controversy?
Akira has been released in the U.S. several times but each iteration features flipped images so that it read from left to right for Western audiences. It's an old practice that publishers used since reading from right to left was unconventional at the time. The upcoming release by Kodansha will feature unflipped images for the first time outside of Japan.

The Shit people care about. People should just be happy that it was translated and is uncensored.
I'm more excited that it'll be hardcover so that means better paper quality (I hope) and it'll come in a box. The sale price seems fair considering how the original release by Dark Horse was priced.

Wow, so Darkhorse was the only licensor that doesn't flip images when they change them from right to left to left to right? (they physically moved the images instead of mirroring them, at least for oh my goddess)

Only buy manga I would collect. Really dont want to have those long series anymore. I sold all my Naruto manga a year so ago.

Love my hardcover color volumes of HOTD. It looks so nice

Wow, so Darkhorse was the only licensor that doesn't flip images when they change them from right to left to left to right? (they physically moved the images instead of mirroring them, at least for oh my goddess)
I always thought Dark Horse's original Ghost in the Shell release was flipped. Never heard of them physically moving the images. I was always more annoyed with the censoring of manga in the US as opposed to the flipping. GitS being a prime example (even the latest edition is censored).

Dark Horse mirrored images early on with some of their releases as well. In a particularly groan-worthy panel of their original GSC release they had the dialog "Well Rally, your right arm IS broken"; while her left arm is the one in the cast.

I finished space brothers 99 episodes and I still want more now onto the manga I guess,
From what I understand ep 99= chapter 187 so still lot of content left which is cool

The 35th anniversary edition boxset of the Akira manga is down to $120 on Amazon.  

Camel3 is now blocked at my work (?!) so I have no idea whether or not this is the lowest price it's ever been.  I broke down and pre-ordered one; we'll see if I cancel it between now and October. 

I pre-orderd the Akira manga set as soon as I heard about it. I never managed to complete my original manga collection of Akira. Now that I actually have some disposable income, I'm not missing out on a hardback-collectors edition with some decent print quality.

and in case I missed any other from this list.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10138488-animes-blu-ray-movies-sale-overlord-the-complete-series-25-99-wolf-s-rain-the-complete-series-19-99-claymore-the-complete-series-13-49-many-more-via-amazon?utm_source=rss&utm_content=def&utm_medium=RSS2

and digging around

High School Dxd Born: Season Three $22.99

Dance in the Vampire Bund: The Complete Series S.A.V.E. $8.99 (DVD)

im so in on code geass blu ray even knowing I am going to have to contact funimation about replacement disks. though does anyone have a link for that, as I can't seem to find a link to request such things.

They fixed Code Geass CE otherwise I would've also picked up a second one. Got Wolf's Rain instead :) Most of that stuff I have already, looks like they may have fixed other errors as well. Wish I had seen this earlier and checked my wish list...maybe some of it may have been on "sale"

seriously, buy this stuff now. some of these prices are obvious gliches / flash sales

CODE GEASS COMPLETE CE - $21.99
Dayum. It's back to full price now. Must have been a price glitch.

Nevermind. Click on New to choose to buy from Amazon. Gonna have to pick up at this price.

Can someone tell me how the audio in the bluray was resolved? Did funi just say tough luck? Did they issue replacements? Or a recall?

There were some pretty good deals on that list. A few of them have dried up, or been reverted to their original prices. I wasn't able to get in on Wolf's Rain. But I was still able to acquire several series for significantly less.

Ugh, to get the full Eureka Seven collection on Blu-ray or not? I own the whole series on DVD (Bandai's Anime Legends sets) already, though I haven't watched it yet.

bread's done
Back