Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
The US PS3 is region A so it should not work. What software are you using for blu ray playpack on your PC? Does it let you choose regions?

If you can find it, usually at Sears or Kmart, the SR212s blu ray player lets you change regions with the correct code which can be found online and it's $60.
Yeah, I didn't think it would. I use PowerDVD for Blu Rays on PC. Pretty sure that would play just about anything.

If you don't mind older anime, there is a booth that usually collects anime parts (Part 1, Part 2, etc.) and old singles and sells them as a bundle. You can get some great deals there.

You'll never get a good deal on anime at cons. Manga is a bit of a stretch. If you're gonna buy something, buy figs cuz you can actually manage a good price if you know what you're looking for.
This. Went to Anime-Expo, I picked up some H titles for about $3-5 less than online, but any normal anime was higher than RightStuf at all of the booths. Picked up a lot of figures/statues for as good/cheaper than online, and no bootleg ones at that.

In other news, I have too much SAO stuff thanks to AX.

Yeah, I didn't think it would. I use PowerDVD for Blu Rays on PC. Pretty sure that would play just about anything.
You might want to confirm that before you purchase. Most PC BD players I've seen have a limit on the region changes you can make. My current player locks you at 5 for example.

You might want to confirm that before you purchase. Most PC BD players I've seen have a limit on the region changes you can make. My current player locks you at 5 for example.
You can use programs like AnyDVD or some firmware hacks to get rid of that.

I could take the five seconds required to look up who it was that first mentioned the Seiki SR212S, but instead I'll just say a generic thank you to whomever that was. :D  I was unaware of its existence, and was able to find the last one in my area.  I'd been looking for a region-free player for some time, and had even considered ordering one from canada.

Here's two 48 Hour All Access codes for Crunchyroll:

6NYGRM7UVLM4 Expires Sep 14, 2013
JTKYX7BCKV9      Expires Oct 14, 2013

If you grab one please post to let everyone know.

If anybody still needs or wants one, I have 3 of the crunchyroll 48 hour passes available. If you want one, shoot me a pm and I can hook you up!

If I manage to get decent internet at Otakon this weekend, I might ask you for another.  Also, nice avatar.  Just finished Beck not that long ago.  Such a great anime.  :p

Is $22 a good price for  the Mobile Suit Gundam 08: 08th Ms Team Complete collection?  I picked that up during this buy 4, get 40% off sale at gohastings.com.  I also picked up the individual volumes of Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex season 1 for about a $1 a piece.  It looks like the GITS blu-rays are limited to Japan right now.  I would have liked to get this series on blu-ray, but I got tired of waiting.

Some of you have been mentioning importing some of these cheap UK anime blu-ray sets.  Have any of you tried an INSIGNIA blu-ray player with region free firmware?  I got one for $6, so it would likely be the cheapest region free option for me.  I haven't found a good deal on a blu-ray drive plus software to do this on my computer.

Is $22 a good price for the Mobile Suit Gundam 08: 08th Ms Team Complete collection? I picked that up during this buy 4, get 40% off sale at gohastings.com. I also picked up the individual volumes of Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex season 1 for about a $1 a piece.
Yeah, that's a good price for the Gundam 08th Team collection. The Gundam collections seem to be the ones that are the most expensive of Bandai's OOP stuff(the 0083 & dual audio Gundam 0079 sets are the most expensive of the franchise right now).

Did they mix up on the GitS: SAC volumes for you? I ordered a couple in the past from them and got the 2-disc special editions instead of the regular editions.

Yeah, that's a good price for the Gundam 08th Team collection. The Gundam collections seem to be the ones that are the most expensive of Bandai's OOP stuff(the 0083 & dual audio Gundam 0079 sets are the most expensive of the franchise right now).

Did they mix up on the GitS: SAC volumes for you? I ordered a couple in the past from them and got the 2-disc special editions instead of the regular editions.
That's good to know that I got a decent price. I got the 0083 set due to a mistake and they said to keep it. I lucked out there. I still need the last chapter of Zeta Gundam and the second half of G Gundam.

I only just ordered the GitS: SAC volumes today. I'll have to let you know if they make any mistakes. I think I ordered the first three as the special editions. The other three special editions were out of stock.

Sentai announced their December line up and I think it's pretty good.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?23850-Section23-Films-Dec-13-slate-preview

BTOOOM!
- Dubbed on DVD & BD
- Includes “Digests”

Di Gi Charat OVA (Specials)
- SUBTITLED ONLY on DVD
- Includes:
Summer Special (4 eps @ 10-min ea)
Christmas Special (1 eps @ 23-min)
Flower Viewing Special (4 eps @ 10-min ea) [Ohanami]
Summer Vacation Special (4 eps @ 11-min ea) [Natsuyasumi]
Rainy Season Special [not exactly sure what this is]

Girls und Panzer TV Collection
- Dubbed on DVD & BD
- Episodes 5.5 & 10.5 will be included, but not dubbed
- Sentai DOES have the OVAs, but they will be released separately

Humanity Has Declined
- SUBTITLED ONLY but on DVD & BD
- Shorts are included

Kokoro Connect OVA
- Dubbed on DVD & BD

Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Collection 1

Say “I Love You”
- Dubbed on DVD & BD

So, I Can’t Play H

Yeah, but it's Sentai. I'm going to assume if you buy their stuff that you're doing it only to own the series and not watch it, since they're bottom of the barrel when it comes to visual quality.

Yeah, but it's Sentai. I'm going to assume if you buy their stuff that you're doing it only to own the series and not watch it, since they're bottom of the barrel when it comes to visual quality.
I do have to agree on the video quality, since it looks like they're using the same equipment that ADV used in 2005 for most of their releases(how can releases now have pixelation?) compared to Funimation. Even their Blu-rays don't look as good as some of the ones Media Blasters put out.

I know that they mentioned that Pet Girl of Sakurasou, So I Can't Play H & Humanity Has Declined releases are experimental. As this is the first time that they're doing sub-only blu-rays and they want to see how well they sell.

Also people are confused as to why they haven't released Chu2 yet. Although I'm guessing that's due to them holding off and trying to get that christmas themed OVA to include in the set. That way they don't have to do what they did with High School of the Dead's OVA.

I do have to agree on the video quality, since it looks like they're using the same equipment that ADV used in 2005 for most of their releases(how can releases now have pixelation?) compared to Funimation. Even their Blu-rays don't look as good as some of the ones Media Blasters put out.

I know that they mentioned that Pet Girl of Sakurasou, So I Can't Play H & Humanity Has Declined releases are experimental. As this is the first time that they're doing sub-only blu-rays and they want to see how well they sell.

Also people are confused as to why they haven't released Chu2 yet. Although I'm guessing that's due to them holding off and trying to get that christmas themed OVA to include in the set. That way they don't have to do what they did with High School of the Dead's OVA.
That's too bad to hear about the visuals, but if it's possibly the only release of Pet Girl of Sakurasou, then I will grab that one.

Waiting impatiently on Sword Art Online Aincrad Part 1... -.-
Well, if you ordered the DVD version, you're going to have a long wait. Because apparently Aniplex botched the first pressing of Part 1. Apparently they screwed up and mislabeled the discs. So disc 1 has disc 2's episodes & disc 2 has disc 1's episodes on it. Some have already received it, but Aniplex is requesting anyone that received it to send it back for a corrected copy whenever they get them.

Link to the story: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-13/aniplex-usa-stops-shipping-sword-art-online-dvd-set-1

Sentai also announced Medaka Box is being delayed until Sept. 24th(was supposed to be released in a couple weeks) and Nyan Koi dubbed DVD/BR sets are delayed from Sept. to now Dec. 31. WTF?

Well, if you ordered the DVD version, you're going to have a long wait. Because apparently Aniplex botched the first pressing of Part 1. Apparently they screwed up and mislabeled the discs. So disc 1 has disc 2's episodes & disc 2 has disc 1's episodes on it. Some have already received it, but Aniplex is requesting anyone that received it to send it back for a corrected copy whenever they get them.

Link to the story: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-13/aniplex-usa-stops-shipping-sword-art-online-dvd-set-1

Sentai also announced Medaka Box is being delayed until Sept. 24th(was supposed to be released in a couple weeks) and Nyan Koi dubbed DVD/BR sets are delayed from Sept. to now Dec. 31. WTF?
Nope, DVDs are for ugly people, I'm too good looking for that, got the blu-ray set. Waiting on it to ship and the other 3 to be released. *twitches*

If anybody is interested in Irresponsible Captain Tylor, the Remastered thinpak sets (both TV and OVA) are $14.99 each at RightStuf.

If anybody is interested in Irresponsible Captain Tylor, the Remastered thinpak sets (both TV and OVA) are $14.99 each at RightStuf.
Thanks! I bought the TV series set a while ago to replace the original box set of the initial release I had and this price is too good to pass up for the OAV set.

Hmm, must have raised the price from a few days ago. It was 70% off.

Still, $19.99 isn't bad at all and both are cheaper than their Litebox counterparts.

Thanks! I bought the TV series set a while ago to replace the original box set of the initial release I had and this price is too good to pass up for the OAV set.
the TV show is ROCK. The OVA is very good Kinda sad no Ending! Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a MovieStop near you, they have a promo going on where you can get 20% off all Used DVDs and Blu-rays with a Director's Club membership. It DOES stack with the Buy 2 Get 1 Free on all Anime DVDs, but the B2G1 does not work on Blu-rays.

The MovieStop near me has a tendency to get older OOP boxsets, usually from ADV, in usually $10 or under. Also, a lot of the Blu-ray sets are $28-$35, so you can take an additional $5-$7 off of that. Got Highschool of the Dead for $22 and Cat Planet Cuties LE for $27. They also have a tendency to take in half-sets from FUNimation's LEs (i.e. just the Blu-rays or just the DVDs) and heavily discounting them.

I don't have a movie stop near me but I do have a movie trading company and thats where I picked up Code Geass season 1 in mint condition for $20 and Hell Girl the complete first season for $24 also in mint condition.

I'm thinking about selling some of my Bandai titles, some which were re-licensed, but I just saw that Eureka Seven Complete vol 2 skyrocketed in value. I'm really hurting for some extra $$ before my semester starts so that my monthly payments aren't as absurd. I'm only posting this because I can sell some of my titles directly to you guys rather than eBay or Amazon. 

I'll post here hopefully by Monday after I speak to the uni on about how much financial aid I'm expecting. A certain scholarship of my likes to wait to the last second to tell me that I got it (they already called last month to re-confirm my information and I had the same one last year) so I have no idea if I should wait, or if I need to sell some stuff now in order to have some money on time.

Anyway, yeah, wish me luck. :(

I would sell a lot of the stuff ASAP. Eureka Seven will likely be re-licensed by this time next year which will drop the Bandai sets value a ton.

So when I saw the list of things that Funimation picked up, I completely missed that they picked up Code Geass and Code Geass R2.

:bow:

I don't see much of an advantage to selling either Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star right now, unless you don't plan on repurchasing them. Outlaw Star would probably get you about $40, meaning that if everything aligns just right you might make $20 after buying it again.

As for Cowboy Bebop, assuming Funi uses the same BD masters as Japan and the UK, their sets will be worth every penny. Again though, selling them now might make the funi set(s) cheaper; but it won't pay for them outright.

I own both series on dvd, I've ordered the Bebop blus from the UK, and will likely buy the US blus as well. I don't plan on selling any of the dvds.

Problem is I do need the money, and I doubt Outlaw Star will go above $40 when it's resold again. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit the anime classics line once it's released or they might do what they did with Trigun and give it a $30 release, and then put it in the anime classics line. That aside, I wonder if a better master of OS exists as the current one I noticed isn't the greatest.  Average, yes, but I got the feeling that it wasn't the best version of the anime (hoping Funi can find a better master).

Bebop on the other hand I can see being sold in two parts, or maybe just one $40-50 set.  I'm looking forward to seeing the BD masters whenever Funi releases it. 

Either way, I'm in no hurry to get both animes again. 

Can't wait for the eventual Bebop and Outlaw Star blu-ray releases...I only hope that they really nail out an awesome audio master for Cowboy Bebop.

Can't wait for the eventual Bebop and Outlaw Star blu-ray releases...I only hope that they really nail out an awesome audio master for Cowboy Bebop.
The only anime that Funi announced with a Blu Ray release was Cowboy Bebop. They only licensed Outlaw Star so far. I believe no Blu Ray version exists but according the interwebs, the anime was remastered on DVD not too long ago (in the UK I believe?). I'm sure Funimation will release that version and use the old dub. Or at least we hope so.

The only anime that Funi announced with a Blu Ray release was Cowboy Bebop. They only licensed Outlaw Star so far. I believe no Blu Ray version exists but according the interwebs, the anime was remastered on DVD not too long ago (in the UK I believe?). I'm sure Funimation will release that version and use the old dub. Or at least we hope so.
I really hope that they include the old dub on Outlaw Star, even if it is just on DVD. I remember those early Toonami promos for the show before it premiered. Awesome stuff. And if any anime deserves a Blu Ray release, it's Bebop. Surprised they've been holding off on that one for so long.

As long as there are no legal snafus, any previous dub a series has had will be used by FUNimation. The Bandai series will be treated pretty much the exact same as their Geneon rescues.

I am more concerned with FUNimation keeping all the Remix extras.

Semi-OT, but has anyone ever attended the Anime USA convention that's being held this year in D.C.? If so, how would you describe the environment (hectic, calm, etc.)?

Otakon was such a lackluster experience for me and my family that I swore off conventions for life, but I stumbled across this one and noticed that it's run by a nonprofit organization, which immediately places it above greedy Otakorp in my eyes.

o_O What was so lackluster about Otakon? Been going for over a decade and love each year.
1. I wasn't a fan of the hustle-and-bustle this year (even more insane than last year), and I definitely didn't appreciate having to wait longer (nearly 1.5 hours) to get my badge because I pre-registered compared to those registering on-site at the convention. My dad summed it up pretty well: Since Otakorp already had our money from pre-registering, they didn't need to prioritize getting us our badges, so they focused on getting more money from the at-convention registrations. I probably wouldn't have minded paying the $10 extra to register at the convention if it meant I wouldn't have had to wait so much longer to get my badge.

2. I was stunned to discover that arriving early for getting a signature constituted arriving nearly 2-3 hours before the scheduled time, as my plan to arrive 1-1.5 hours early resulted in my being unable to get in line due to them running out of "tickets" (which I don't remember being enforced last year). I was disappointed that I couldn't get my FMA:B sets signed by Vic Mignogna, Mike McFarland, Todd Haberkorn, and Kyle Hebert, which was one of the things I was looking forward to.

3. I don't really want to get into the reasons why (they're kind of personal), but Wolf Children was a huge disappointment IMO, nowhere near as excellent as Summer Wars. At least the good news is that I can avoid buying it when it releases.

It wasn't all bad, though--I thoroughly enjoyed Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Re-Do and the live-action Rurouni Kenshin film, and I got to watch the first four episodes of AKB0048 (which I liked enough to want to buy it when it reaches an attractive price point). Needless to say, though, I'll be staying away from Otakon in the future.

Another CAG put it succinctly when he said that Otakon was more enjoyable when you went with friends who could "help you push and shove your way around", but not so much with a smaller group. :whistle2:|

1) Don't wait 1.5 hours. I went down around 4:30 or so to get my badge and while going around the entire BCC was a little annoying, I only waited in line about 10 minutes.

2) Heavy cons are all about waiting in line. There's only a little bit of space at the Autograph table, so the bigger stars need some kind of crowd control or they will sign autographs all day. I remember when I got in line for Scott McNeil's autograph about 7-8 years ago the line was crazy long. When I did JDF's autograph last year I got there around 9:20 and had to wait until later in the day to get the autograph because the session had already taken an hour and a half.

3) Can't comment on Wolf's Children as I picked the concert instead, but you're the first person I have heard say negative things about it.

I have been going by myself for years and the only real bad years were last year (JDF), a few years ago when Eva 1.01 was glitchy, and 2001. Just...2001.

bread's done
Back