Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we're suddenly on the topic of Otakon, I figure I'd hop in to it too. I've been discussing a lot of Otakon related activities on their boards for the past couple of months so I'm pretty up to speed for what's up. 

For me, this was my fifth Otakon. I have to say that this year was pretty lackluster in terms of things going on. I think the event I enjoyed the most obviously were the concerts which I doubt Otakon will be able to beat (until ONE OK ROCK ;) or if TM Revolution learns that his gig isn't so hot and goes back to doing Abingdon Boys School) for quite a while. The industry panels I hit up were boring and I hate myself for skipping Funimation because they actually announced all of those Bandai titles (I know Sentai did some too but half of people at the con missed due to the registration lines), none of the other panels seemed interesting, and TMR and Kanno had autograph lines that only had 100 tickets, and yes, pre-reg still sucked. I would of gotten some Funi VA's to sign my things, but i seemed to be the only guy in my group that even had a sight interest of getting autographs so I passed.

I didn't see Kenshin or Eva, but I already watched them both already. I would've seen the Gyo ova on Saturday but my friend forgot their ID once we got the front of 18+ bracelet line. To avoid bailing on my friend, we all opt'ed out. 

To wrap up, my time at Otakon last year was so much better. I did so much more, but this year my group and I just didn't feel it. Also, get roomies that you don't have to drag around. I'm still kind of surprised that my entire group opted out of the Saturday concert as I felt that HMK put up one hell of a show. TMR was just well, TMR (I never want to see his nipples again). Kanno's on the other hand was the best part of the con, pertaining you could even see her which was another cluster---- on it's own because you had to wait the entire morning to get her tickets or see the simulcast. I obviously opted for the simulcast. 

EDIT: I can't say much about waiting in line. For it being the 2nd biggest anime convention in the country, what do you expect? Plan ahead and get in line early. It's what they have the Guidebook app for as well so that it can remind you. I can't comment much on registration though. Last year's pre-reg line was worst though imo.

I had to wait outside for 2-3 hours for my prereg ticket at Anime-Expo, outside in the California heat... Then the wait to actually get in on opening day was nuts, and they opened about 30 minutes late. -.- If you want to go to a convention with any big news, events, or appearances... get used to lines.

Updated OP with Rightstufs weekly sale.

What are you guys planning on getting soon? I think my next purchase may be Lovely Complex, not sure yet though.

Does anyone know if the rest of the Aria series will be released in Liteboxes like Aria: The Animation will be in October? I'm interested in possibly getting that for $23.99 and some other thing(s) to get to free shipping, but not if only that series will be released in that format.

Also, could anyone recommend Giant Robo? It's ~$10 and I've read good things about it.

Lastly, I'll re-ask in case the Otakon talk buried my original question: Has anyone ever attended AnimeUSA, which is being held in Washington, D.C., this year?

Rightstuf are re-releasing many of their past titles into the liteboxes now, so definitely be ready to see the rest of the Aria series being released that way.  They did it for Maria Watches Over Us seasons, so you will see it for Aria too.  They probably don't have most of the dates up yet for the rest of Aria series, but it's almost guaranteed they'll all come out in the liteboxes down the line.

Really want that Black Butler Season 2, but $50 seems a bit much. It will drop like a rock sooner than later. Hopefully they put out a cheaper complete series Blu-ray with Season 1 and 2. 

I would day 1 purchase an Outlaw Star Blu-ray.

Is there any reason not to import the Blu-ray Bebop from UK? It has region protection, but that's easily bypassed. Was it stated if the Bebop will come in 2 sets like the UK? 

My NEXT 3 purchases are the other 3 SAO sets on bluray. After that, Persona 4 The Animation parts 1 and 2 on blu, and Elfen Lied on blu. After that.. meh. Don't really care. Kind of dropped out of anime but I want the P4 set due to the game, and I loved Elfen Lied.

Finally decided to order Evangelion 2.22 and Summer Wars, since it's a slow month for releases. Completely forgot that SW got a DVD/BR combo earlier this year that's cheaper than the standalone BR version.

Besides maybe Is this a Zombie? of the Dead, really don't know what to get next month. Might be due to seeing a lot of the shows streaming, but a lot of the stuff coming out in the next month or two seem kinda meh.

Is there any reason not to import the Blu-ray Bebop from UK? It has region protection, but that's easily bypassed. Was it stated if the Bebop will come in 2 sets like the UK?
There's been no details besides that Funimation is releasing it on DVD, BR and DD. For all we know, they could be doing one DVD/BR combo "Complete Series" set when they release it.

Same goes with Outlaw Star, besides that it's getting a DVD release, nothing. Still don't know if we're getting the old Bandai version or the new remastered version.

I wouldn't expect Funimation to deviate much from their norm, which means they'll likley do one of two things with Cowboy Bebop.  They'll either release it on two BD/DVD combo sets (part one having a LE version with a chipboad box) or they'll do one big "premium version" like they did with Serial Experiments Lain.  It's most likely that you'll see the two combo packs, as that gives them the most opportunities to make money on the show.  That way they can get people for two sets initially, and then later on they can get anyone holding out by combining the two into a single set.

As for whether or not you should get the UK sets (to anyone that can play that region's discs) it comes down to how much you like the show, and how long you're willing to wait for a blu ray copy.  If you just want the show on blu, and you can wait until 2014, then you should not order the UK sets now.  Wait until the Funimation sets are released and reviewed to figure out which is the better option (price and quality wise).  Any number of things could make one set better than the other, but there's no point in trying to make theoretical comparisons.

FUNi only does the half-sets for new shows. License recues get complete series/season sets. Bebop will likely get a big combo pack and then a year or so later an Anime Classics rerelease. They will probably package it like Black Lagoon or Shakugan no Shana Season 1. I also expect to see it before the end of the year.

Also, Giant Robo rocks, but it ends on a cliffhanger.
Hmm...is it an annoying kind of cliffhanger? If it's a blatant one that will get on my nerves after finishing the series, Giant Robo might not be for me since I like resolution in my storytelling.

Does anyone know the difference between the two releases of High School DxD? It looks like the more expensive one has an artbox, but since it's the "complete series", what else would go inside with this set? I know there's a sequel series, but wouldn't Funimation release that (assuming they license it) with its own artbox?

Hmm...is it an annoying kind of cliffhanger? If it's a blatant one that will get on my nerves after finishing the series, Giant Robo might not be for me since I like resolution in my storytelling.
The A Plot does get resolved, but near the end of the last episode the underlying Big Bads step up to the plate.

I am not sure if it ever continued in Super Robot Wars, but considering the original took, like, a decade to finish and I believe the original creator died, so don't expect a Season 2.

FUNi only does the half-sets for new shows. License recues get complete series/season sets. Bebop will likely get a big combo pack and then a year or so later an Anime Classics rerelease. They will probably package it like Black Lagoon or Shakugan no Shana Season 1. I also expect to see it before the end of the year.
My thought was that there's a significant difference between the amount of expected sales for those shows and the amount of expected sales for a blu ray release of Cowboy Bebop. People that own no other anime will buy Bebop due to its run on CN. You're right about that being closer to how they normally release series rescues, but I would not be surprised if they decided to split this release up.

Does anyone know the difference between the two releases of High School DxD? It looks like the more expensive one has an artbox, but since it's the "complete series", what else would go inside with this set? I know there's a sequel series, but wouldn't Funimation release that (assuming they license it) with its own artbox?
Yeah, it's more than likely an artbox to fit DxD New, if they eventually release it on DVD/BR. They already have the streaming rights for it(they're simulcasting it right now). They're more than likely waiting to see how well the sales are and how well the numbers for DXD New streaming are.

People thought the same thing when Heaven's Lost Property came out, since it came with an artbox & Forte wasn't licensed yet. But then they eventually licensed and released it.

Yeah, it's more than likely an artbox to fit DxD New, if they eventually release it on DVD/BR. They already have the streaming rights for it(they're simulcasting it right now). They're more than likely waiting to see how well the sales are and how well the numbers for DXD New streaming are.

People thought the same thing when Heaven's Lost Property came out, since it came with an artbox & Forte wasn't licensed yet. But then they eventually licensed and released it.
I think this set is just the two individual cases release on the inside, and not one of those with a filler box on the inside for a second set.

If the set is anything like Haganai, it will be in two cases that separates out the DVDs from the Blus.

The art box itself is enough for them to want to make it seem like a much better edition than it really is, so it doesn't necessarily stand for anything else that is to come in the future.

Heaven's Lost Property was a different story though because they actually had the licensing for it initially, but then it got canceled which is why it only came out on DVD at first. And the new release of Forte doesn't even fit properly into the box anyways, so I doubt they had anticipated that ahead of time really for the second LE box. The box was for the holding of post cards though for the show. Usually if it was a filler box in these sets, the box will actually have something noted on the side like, "Season 2 goes here" or something that tells the purchaser that directly.

Whether FUNi puts them in separate cases or not tends to be pretty random. The Baka and Test sets are probably the weirdest ones. The first half of the season is in its own case (both Blu-ray and DVD) while the second half and extras are in the 2nd case. Works for both seasons.

And the Spice and Wolf one was a disaster too where Season One doesn't even fit properly in the LE set for Season Two even though the slot was made for it, lol.  They definitely didn't think that one through.

That's surprising that the street date for that is so far out, as I bought that on bluray at Otakon for I think $7.
Right Stuf just shipped my copy of the bluray. Crazy considering it's suppose to be out at the end of November.

Also this is the cheapest I seen Kids on the Slope bluray. I'm not sure if this the fixed version because the first print of the bluray had audio problems on the 2nd disc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Kids-on-the-Slope-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/ref=%26%2574%2561g%3d%2562l%2575r%2561y%252d034%252d20?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-034-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00B6DTGLO&ASIN=B00B6DTGLO&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Right Stuf just shipped my copy of the bluray. Crazy considering it's suppose to be out at the end of November.

Also this is the cheapest I seen Kids on the Slope bluray. I'm not sure if this the fixed version because the first print of the bluray had audio problems on the 2nd disc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Kids-on-the-Slope-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/ref=%26%2574%2561g%3d%2562l%2575r%2561y%252d034%252d20?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-034-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00B6DTGLO&ASIN=B00B6DTGLO&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Rightstuf is still running their promo on it I think for $34.99.

Promo code is CP34-03

with shipping it is over 37.99 :(
What? The price in the cart is $52.49, so it already qualifies for free shipping as long as you're in the United States. The coupon gets applied after you select your shipping method, so this deal doesn't prevent you from getting free shipping.

What? The price in the cart is $52.49, so it already qualifies for free shipping as long as you're in the United States. The coupon gets applied after you select your shipping method, so this deal doesn't prevent you from getting free shipping.
Are there any video quality issues? I'm hesitant to pick this up after hearing about their audio screw up and just general crappy blus from Sentai. Would love to pick it up on Blu if it's a solid release.

They shipped mine as well, it must not have taken them as long as they thought to ship one episode.

Are there any video quality issues? I'm hesitant to pick this up after hearing about their audio screw up and just general crappy blus from Sentai. Would love to pick it up on Blu if it's a solid release.
The only problem with it was the audio issue, which has already been fixed.

Anyone here own the blu ray LE of blue exorcist? If so was it money well spent or did u regret buying it. Am on the fence of buying it but am still unsure because its just too much

Anyone here own the blu ray LE of blue exorcist? If so was it money well spent or did u regret buying it. Am on the fence of buying it but am still unsure because its just too much
I own the first half of the set and I think it's worth it. The show looks a lot better on Blu-ray and it's how it should have been released in the first place. The set itself is pretty nice too; it's got a nice box, a bunch of on disc extras, a soundtrack, and an illustration booklet.

As for the quality of the show itself, I think it's pretty good until they start making shit up. I haven't read the manga yet, but you can tell when it starts deviating from the manga's storyline. By the end, they just say fuck it and ruin any chances for a sequel that continues adapting the manga.

I have a hard time justifying $140 for 12 episodes. If I am paying that much it had better be better than Bebop, Zeta Gundam, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Ghost in the Shell combined.

I can say fully that i won't be using Deepdiscount anytime soon unless they offer an unbeatable deal.

An order I placed during their summer sale over a month ago still wasn't sent out because one of the three items was on backorder. I know how it works, and patiently waited. Come about two ago, I checked in on it and it still said it was on backorder. BUT, I checked the store itself and it said all of the three items I ordered were in stock. So I contacted them.

That's where the fun begins. Their first response is "Oh, it was a glitch in the system and you're order got cancelled. Please order again." But if I did, I would have paid around $40 more then what I would have from previous order because the sale wasn't in place anymore. So I emailed them again about it.

Second response says there was an issue with paypal, and that they will let me reorder at the same prices and I would get a refund from paypal. They just said to wait a week for it to process. Okay. So I waited. a week passes an no refund. So I email them again.

This time they say, oh, sorry. We checked with our accounting department and paypal never processed it. Okay, so I go check and it actually never did. Note this was after they themselves told me prior it did and that they would give me a refund. Nothing lost there, it's just that the one rep who emailed me basically lied. But afterwards, I email yet again, asking them if I were still able to order at the same price I did prior.

Low and behold, all they keep on giving me now is essentially an automated answer saying "We checked with our department, and you're payment method wasn't processed." Okay, but nothing from them saying I could order at the same price. So now they've been basically avoiding the question I've been asking now and refuse to give me a straight answer while outright ignoring half of my emails.

Sorry for the rant, but had to get that out. But to anybody wanting to shop there, never order backordered items haha. Deepdiscount and their customer servive is absolutely horrendous.

I can say fully that i won't be using Deepdiscount anytime soon unless they offer an unbeatable deal.

An order I placed during their summer sale over a month ago still wasn't sent out because one of the three items was on backorder. I know how it works, and patiently waited. Come about two ago, I checked in on it and it still said it was on backorder. BUT, I checked the store itself and it said all of the three items I ordered were in stock. So I contacted them.

That's where the fun begins. Their first response is "Oh, it was a glitch in the system and you're order got cancelled. Please order again." But if I did, I would have paid around $40 more then what I would have from previous order because the sale wasn't in place anymore. So I emailed them again about it.

Second response says there was an issue with paypal, and that they will let me reorder at the same prices and I would get a refund from paypal. They just said to wait a week for it to process. Okay. So I waited. a week passes an no refund. So I email them again.

This time they say, oh, sorry. We checked with our accounting department and paypal never processed it. Okay, so I go check and it actually never did. Note this was after they themselves told me prior it did and that they would give me a refund. Nothing lost there, it's just that the one rep who emailed me basically lied. But afterwards, I email yet again, asking them if I were still able to order at the same price I did prior.

Low and behold, all they keep on giving me now is essentially an automated answer saying "We checked with our department, and you're payment method wasn't processed." Okay, but nothing from them saying I could order at the same price. So now they've been basically avoiding the question I've been asking now and refuse to give me a straight answer while outright ignoring half of my emails.

Sorry for the rant, but had to get that out. But to anybody wanting to shop there, never order backordered items haha. Deepdiscount and their customer servive is absolutely horrendous.
From what I've heard, you might have better success calling their CS instead of emailing them: 800-264-5076.

They still do that bs... I stopped using them 4 or so years ago cause multi issues like that. Sad

I have a hard time justifying $140 for 12 episodes. If I am paying that much it had better be better than Bebop, Zeta Gundam, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Ghost in the Shell combined.
That's Aniplex. Seems like more popular the show the more expensive it is. Blast of Tempest isn't that popular and it will cost around $120 just for DVD only.

Just got my order of Fate/Stay Night Complete Collection, Summer Wars DVD/BR Combo & Evangelion 2.22.  Kinda weird how cheap they went on the 3-disc BR case for Summer Wars(it's one of those "eco-friendly" cases), since the case feels flimsy.

But when did Funimation stop putting the slip covers on Evangelion 2.22?  The one I got is just the case w/ Mari on the front, with no orange slip cover.  Now that I'm searching, even Rightstuf & Amazon updated the product image to the case's cover.

But when did Funimation stop putting the slip covers on Evangelion 2.22? The one I got is just the case w/ Mari on the front, with no orange slip cover. Now that I'm searching, even Rightstuf & Amazon updated the product image to the case's cover.
They haven't had those slipcovers for a very long time now.

That's Aniplex. Seems like more popular the show the more expensive it is. Blast of Tempest isn't that popular and it will cost around $120 just for DVD only.
It has nothing to do with the popularity of the show; Aniplex doesn't have standard pricing. The only reason Blast of Tempest isn't a comparable price to Blue Exorcist is because Blast of Tempest is DVD only. Being on Blu-ray changes things, since Japan and North America share the same region for Blu-rays.

Hence why I don't buy Aniplex stuff. I was surprised to find OreImo Season 1 DVD for "only" $45 at Otakon. Only other thing of theirs I have bought was the bare bones Madoka Magica Blu-rays, mainly because an Amazon seller had all three for around $35 each with free shipping. While it was very good, I couldn't justify the $100+ and resold them on eBay.

We had the Blue Exorcist discussion a few weeks ago when I considered picking it up at Otakon. You can see our posts here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/315734-general-anime-deals-amazon-rightstuf-ddetc/page-12#entry10964991

I learned from another user here that the UK has the same releases, just cheaper, "bare bones" (just the blu), and it's probably what 90% of us here actually want. I know a vast majority of us like saving space on our shelves and the UK version fits within my budget ($38 shipped at the time of that post). Aniplex USA does make some great looking releases but the prices are always too high, and they still charge too much for split releases and standard versions.

Yes, the UK is in a different blu region which is why they get a ton of anime blus months or even years before we do. You will need a region free blu ray player to watch them or have a PC with a blu ray player (with the support of 3rd party programs, you can make PowerDVD region free from what I've seen).  Needless to say, I haven't done any testing on all of this yet but it is worth putting into consideration.

Don't go back even if it's a killer deal. It's just not worth the hassle. I walked away years ago, best thing I could have done.

They still do that bs... I stopped using them 4 or so years ago cause multi issues like that. Sad
Been even longer for me. Between stuff like that and the constant utterly destoryed crap they kept trying to pawn off, I swear their CS operated out of a prison.

bread's done
Back