Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Rightstuf is running a St. Patrick's Day sale that goes through St. Patrick's Day,

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000006551

It's pretty underwhelming, and the only things that are of consideration on that list are probably the Honey and Clover sets, but other than that the prices on everything else is meh at best.
Hot damn, I didn't realize Viz finally got around to releasing those repriced Honey & Clover sets they promised. Bought!

I didnt realize that DD charged tax to CA. Ahhh! Now I gotta rethink my purchases.
I'm also in CA, but the 15% code basically sold it for me since the prices were pretty good before, but with tax they were just okay, so if anything the 15% code put me over.

The code is about to expire in about 20 minutes, so you should decide quick, or maybe condense down your cart to just the necessities if you're worried about the tax. ;P

ahhh I keep debating if I wanna keep CLANNAD in my cart or not >.<

EDIT: order placed. I took out RahXephon and Kids on the Slope (since they were the same price of the BB sale)

I hate GT's ending actually. The whole Goku flying away on the dragon to leave forever in some nebulous, unexplained situation is retarded. Him then being there--un-aged so he's immortal or something now--at the end made it all the worse. Z's ending left it open for the world to continue. After all the years that pass from the beginning of DB to the end of Z, it felt reasonable for the ending to be open. After all, time would continue and there would be new things happening. GT completely destroys that, though.
the dragonball shadow dragons or whatever they are called I can't remember was a great storyline....it also finally gave a con to all that obsessive dragonball wishing they do with no consequence whatsoever. it's also the one storyline in GT and really since cell that Goku was forced to rely on something other than brute strength and the return of the afterimage technique as a SSJ4 of all things was great. Goku riding off into the sunset was fitting and is something he should have done ages ago in the story.

Im not really sure where you get the there is no world continuing at the end of GT though....Goku just finally leaves permanently(THANK GOODNESS)....the earth is still there though. fittingly it all comes full circle by killing those forsaken dragonballs...seems fitting they are the final boss.

Ive never really found a dbz fan to actually like the dbz ending as it just sort of ends whereas GT wraps things up but knowing earth you have to know it's not really over. you are a first in that regard.

It seems RACS has extended their spring sale to March 28th, another two weeks. (10% off your order, with the code springbreak at checkout)

http://animecornerstore.com/

Definitely nice place and time to pick up some NIS America premium editions. Picked up some myself!

That code only applies to items in the March Buyers Catalogue, and so far I've tried a ton of anime, and it doesn't seem to be working on any of them, or at least not any of the ones in the sale right now.
It worked on Clannad After Story... which I didn't need to purchase right now... but I did anyway.

It worked on Clannad After Story... which I didn't need to purchase right now... but I did anyway.
That could be something listed in the March Buyers Catalogue.

I've tried it on GTO, Lovely Complex, Girls Und Panzer, and the OVA, but got nothing, and the error tells me to "Please add instock product from "March Catalog__01Mar14-31Mar14" to qualify for DVDP114".

I guess it'll be hit or miss, and I threw away the catalogue, so I don't quite remember what was in it, but I'm sure the selection is fairly random.

Saw funimation is releasing Eureka 7 next month. Heard of it, but haven't seen. Worth the money?

Saw funimation is releasing Eureka 7 next month. Heard of it, but haven't seen. Worth the money?
I have never seen the series myself though I would say it would be best to wait until the next Funimation sale. It was like 50 bucks for the LE1/part2 when I pre-ordered during the last sale w/ GotAnime discount. You may want to note that the series does have a 4:3 aspect ratio as well due to the age of the series. Though it doesn't bother me too much, it is a bit weird watching a blu-ray with bars on the side.

On another note I got in my Robotics;Notes Part 2 as well as the Ranma 1/2 LE today. The LE is very nice looking and super shiny!

Ranma is a pure comedy, and episodic at that. Aside from new characters, not much changes from the early episodes to the final ones. Not saying it doesn't stay funny, but Status Quo is God is in full effect.

How is Ranma 1/2? Will I like if I couldn't stand Inuyasha?
I like Ranma, but I can't really say it's worth watching past the first 3-4 seasons... after that they just rehash ideas over and over so it's basically the same 5 episodes over and over just with a different theme. I imagine the anime has a decent amount of filler and the manga might be better.

Ranma 1/2 is one of my favorite series, but can't say it'll appeal to everyone. Hulu has the episodes available for streaming though. Speaking of Ranma... my order for the blu-ray set came in today. I'm incredibly excited to watch it remastered instead of resorting to bootleg vhs. 

I actually had to call RS about my Ramna order since I just got a new debit card in the mail. I really wish you could just zip in online and update your credit card info. I kept missing them since last week because I have evening classes. =S Anyway, I'm giving Ramna a shot. I dug Inuyasha when I was like 13 (lol) but I'm about due for a more comedic series. Part of me wants to get back into Gintama but I've been meaning to watch Ramna for years. 

Also, I think another guy in this thread had a Wal-mart.com order and I just wanted to say that I got an update. A customer service rep via e-mail since they listed the anime (Robotic;Notes Part 1) for pretty much no reason and thought they were going to have it in stock but then learned that they weren't. The listing still remains but it seems they are making zero effort to order any copies even though all they have to do is pick up the phone/e-mail them. Keep up the good work, Wal-Mart! =/

I might leave the order up since I missed the Amazon price match but I'll probably end up cancelling in a few weeks. And I really wanted to use that Wal Mart credit. Oh well...

I actually had to call RS about my Ramna order since I just got a new debit card in the mail. I really wish you could just zip in online and update your credit card info. I kept missing them since last week because I have evening classes. =S Anyway, I'm giving Ramna a shot. I dug Inuyasha when I was like 13 (lol) but I'm about due for a more comedic series. Part of me wants to get back into Gintama but I've been meaning to watch Ramna for years.
The first three-ish seasons of Ranma are fun stuff. Hope you like it!

The first three-ish seasons of Ranma are fun stuff. Hope you like it!
Yeah, a friend of my mentioned the filler but that isn't nearly as bad as Inuyasha filler so I'll probably keep on buying it. My older friends and my oldest brother praise the series and since it was so hard to find it in the past, I'm glad that Viz is releasing it for cheaper and on Blu. But anyway, yeah. I'm looking forward to it.

Filler is really the bane of existence for anime. I wish they'd just follow the "seasons" idea that we do in the States. They need to find a way to negotiate for their old time slot when they come back. As long as it's a popular series, I don't see why they can't do that.

Edit: Oh and I'd pay extra for box sets minus filler if anyone from the anime industry reads this :p I'm sure they won't do that for a number of reasons, but hey, I can try.

They do follow the "seasons" idea we do in the States. Haganai for example, has two seasona, each stopping when the source material ran out. And it -should- have a third season eventually, if not more. (Gawd, I hope so.)

But I can see why they do it. If they stopped, people will probably lose interest anyways. But in the US, we do have a lot of lulls with lots of reruns too, since we don't ever have 52 episodes a year of anything (not counting talk shows and news, of course).

Well, a lot of Ranma (the manga) is fairly episodic, which is why the filler stuff isn't so bad, because it doesn't stand out as much (and when I watched it as a kid, I kinda liked a lot of it). 

For something like One Piece or Ranma or Dragonball Z, it's kept on the air constantly precisely because it's so popular.  Of course, fans of British series wonder why American series are so long when you can have tight, concise seasons of less than a dozen episodes. 

At least filler is skippable.  Worse is when they have to change the ending of a series to something completely different. 

[quote name="kayne2000" post="11611837" timestamp="1394842856"]the dragonball shadow dragons or whatever they are called I can't remember was a great storyline....it also finally gave a con to all that obsessive dragonball wishing they do with no consequence whatsoever. it's also the one storyline in GT and really since cell that Goku was forced to rely on something other than brute strength and the return of the afterimage technique as a SSJ4 of all things was great. Goku riding off into the sunset was fitting and is something he should have done ages ago in the story.

Im not really sure where you get the there is no world continuing at the end of GT though....Goku just finally leaves permanently(THANK GOODNESS)....the earth is still there though. fittingly it all comes full circle by killing those forsaken dragonballs...seems fitting they are the final boss.

Ive never really found a dbz fan to actually like the dbz ending as it just sort of ends whereas GT wraps things up but knowing earth you have to know it's not really over. you are a first in that regard.[/quote]

Maybe it's because I tend to mainly be a fan of non-shonen shows, so my perspective may be different. To me, an extremely open ending is always favorable to a more definitive ending that doesn't make sense, is unfullfilling, poorly explained, etc. GT's ending really falls into those categories. I get the feeling that Goku really should be 'gone' in some way, but that was not an elegant way of doing it.

For those that were curious which anime titles could be used on DVD Planet's catalog sale (code DVDP114), these are the titles.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Season 1-2
Dragonball Season 1-3
Dragonball Z Season 1-9 (DVD)
Dragonball GT Complete Series
Digimon Tamers Complete Set
Angel Beats (DVD/Blu-ray)
Black Lagoon TV Series and OAV
Bodacious Space Pirates Collection 1-2 (Blu-ray)
Another (Blu-ray)
Battle Girls Time Paradox (Blu-ray)
Clannad Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Clannad After Story Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Broken Blade (Blu-ray)
Canaan (Blu-ray)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (Blu-ray)
Ef: A Tale of Memories (Blu-ray)
Ef: A Tale of Melodies (Blu-ray)
Fate/Stay Night (Blu-ray/DVD)
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (Blu-ray)
Elfen Lied (Blu-ray/DVD)
Evangelion 1.11 (Blu-ray/DVD)
Evangelion 2.22 (Blu-ray/DVD)
FLCL (Blu-ray/DVD)
Freezing (Regular)
From Up on Poppy Hill (DVD/Blu-ray Combo Pack)
Garden of Words (Blu-ray)
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
Haganai Season 1 (Regular/Limited)
Heaven's Memo Pad (Blu-ray)
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere Season 1-2 (Blu-ray)
High School DxD (Regular)
Highschool of the Dead (Blu-ray/DVD)
Infinite Stratos (Blu-ray)
Inu x Boku SS (Blu-ray)
Kamisama Dolls (Blu-ray)
Kids on the Slope (Blu-ray)
K-On Season 2/Movie (Blu-ray)
Kill Me Baby (DVD)
Majiko-Oh (Blu-ray/DVD)
Mysterious Girlfriend X (Blu-ray)
Ninja Scroll (Blu-ray)
Queen's Blade Rebellion (Blu-ray)
One Piece Collection 1-8 (DVD)
Quaser of Stigmata Seasons 1-2 (DVD)
Patlabor OAV/TV Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
Penguindrum Collection 1-2 (Blu-ray)
Samurai Champloo (Blu-ray/DVD)
Shining Hearts (Blu-ray)
Samurai Girls (DVD/Blu-ray)
Sekirei Season 1-2 Complete Set
Persona 4 Collection 1 (DVD)
Persona 4 Collection 2 (Blu-ray/DVD)
World God Only Knows Seasons 1-2 (Blu-ray)
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (Blu-ray)
Waiting in the Summer (DVD)
Spice and Wolf Complete Set
Xam'd Complete Series (DVD/Blu-ray)
Steins;Gate Part 1-2

I've always been a fan of the filler for some anime, but DBZ especially. I think the term also gets thrown around too much. Why in the world would I want to watch Kai and miss half of the dialogue between characters, or other small tidbits from the story? I want to see and know everything. That's why I can't take Kai serious. I feel it just skips over a lot of stuff. You can't possibly condense a 300ep anime into 150 episodes just like you can't condense a television series, say Game of Thrones for example into a 5 episode season.

Speaking of, I'm not sure if I should buy DBZ Season 1 Blu from Amazon for $25 or wait for an inevitable under $20 sale. And why is season 2 still marked at $16.96? It's been out for over a month. Leads me to believe they aren't selling well, but at the same time I hope all future seasons release at that price. I'm waiting for Amazon to list season 4. EDIT: Season 4 is listed lol. Must have just put it up the past day or so. It's at $24.99 but I think it'll go down before the May release.

Speaking of, I'm not sure if I should buy DBZ Season 1 Blu from Amazon for $25 or wait for an inevitable under $20 sale. And why is season 2 still marked at $16.96? It's been out for over a month. Leads me to believe they aren't selling well, but at the same time I hope all future seasons release at that price. I'm waiting for Amazon to list season 4.
It's because those are the prices that Walmart put out, and Walmart still has them at that price, so Amazon is still matching them.

Those weren't the prices Amazon had initially, but when Walmart put out their prices then Amazon matched them, and it's just been that way for awhile now.

It's happened with other randomly low priced anime titles that Walmart has put out in the past, so it's basically gauged by Walmart on these types of titles.

I don't know what to get with my $5 off a $25 purchase Coupon at DvDplanet. >.> I'm leaning towards Love, Election, and Chocolate though. 

I got love,election and chocolate with gto from dvd planet last week but don't know if I should watch love election n chocolate or oniai.
I would do love, election and chocolate first myself. I had to push myself through OniAi even though I generally like that type of anime. The LE box is nice though~ lol

Got my DVD Panet order in today.

Girls und Panzer

Girls und Panzer OVA

High School of the Dead OVA

And then they had a copy of Godannar the complete series. Oddly enough I didn't even order it. So I called about it and I'm sending it back. Yes I probabyl could have keep it but I would have felt bad.

Also my copy of Is This a Zombie? blu should be in tomorrow from Amazon. The release date is the 25th everywhere else but on amazon it was the 18th. Not sure what that is about though.

I've always been a fan of the filler for some anime, but DBZ especially. I think the term also gets thrown around too much. Why in the world would I want to watch Kai and miss half of the dialogue between characters, or other small tidbits from the story? I want to see and know everything. That's why I can't take Kai serious. I feel it just skips over a lot of stuff. You can't possibly condense a 300ep anime into 150 episodes just like you can't condense a television series, say Game of Thrones for example into a 5 episode season.

Speaking of, I'm not sure if I should buy DBZ Season 1 Blu from Amazon for $25 or wait for an inevitable under $20 sale. And why is season 2 still marked at $16.96? It's been out for over a month. Leads me to believe they aren't selling well, but at the same time I hope all future seasons release at that price. I'm waiting for Amazon to list season 4. EDIT: Season 4 is listed lol. Must have just put it up the past day or so. It's at $24.99 but I think it'll go down before the May release.
Perhaps what you don't realize, is that filler = unofficial content that they just cooked up to prolong the show and is not really part of the "official" story as described in the manga. So your analogy above isn't quite accurate as DBZ should never have been 300 episodes to begin with. Game of Thrones is actually strongly connected to the books with some creative decision-making thrown in that IS sanctioned by the author, so I wouldn't consider any changes from the books filler. The most hated and egregious examples of filler (asides from DBZ) are Bleach and Naruto, Naruto being the more ridiculous.

I think Bleach's is worse. Naruto's are all concentrated together and most can be skipped easily on the DVDs, while Shippuden's often tie into canon and expand some plot points not otherwise shown in the manga. Except for the Bount arc, all the other arcs just start in the middle of a story arc and it interrupts the flow of the story.

So after watching the first ep of oniai I was like wtf is wrong with akiko?!? Why does she feel like that towards her brother. It has a lil bit of humor so far so hopefully it picks up .

At least Bleach's Filler Arcs were a Seasons Worth instead of Randomness like Naruto (Something serious just happened, and it skips to an episode of Rock Lee and his quest to find the Ultimate Curry lol). And it just allowed Kubo pump out more of his Chapters. Even then, the Anime caught up to the Manga and now there is no more Bleach as of right now.  

I did like the Zanpakuto Spirit and Reigai Fillers. I thought they were a bit interesting. 

I was referring more to Naruto's pre-shippuuden filler. Just have someone singing troll-olololooooo with Naruto yelling rasengan every minute and you have the Naruto filler.

A lot of DBZ's filler is fun. You get to see a lighter side of things. It may not actually be canon, but it's a fairly good time, at least.

DBZ's Cell Saga filler was decent. Saiyan saga filler was good back in the Saban days, but a chore uncut. Freeza saga's us horrible. Buu saga's was decent, but heavily clashed with the tone DBZ had gone in by that point.

bread's done
Back