Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel lame for not buying the Eureka 7 film now, I have seen 3 unboxing photos today each with the film in it lol. Still waiting on my Nekomonogatari and Eureka Black set myself.

I feel lame for not buying the Eureka 7 film now, I have seen 3 unboxing photos today each with the film in it lol. Still waiting on my Nekomonogatari and Eureka Black set myself.
Don't feel lame. I had mine ordered, but ended up cancelling when everyone collectively decided that the movie was pretty bad. Looking forward to getting my series in though! Haven't watched Eureka before and I always wanted to give it a shot!

EDIT: If you decide that you do want it, Amazon has it with prime for $16.96. Cheaper than what I had it pre-ordered for on RS with the 10% off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00HXEWG0S/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Well at least the movie wasn't too good though I may pick it up later just to have. On another note I recently started watching my Ranma 1/2 BD. I wasn't too sure what to expect since it had been so long since I have seen the series but it did not feel too dated like some other older anime and is pretty enjoyable to watch.

They also did some really nice work making the series look awesome on BD. Thinks are pretty bright and colorful and it does not feel lazily done like some other "remasters". I am looking forward to Set 2 for sure now. 

That's because it is!! :D
I am just waiting for the next sale. After hearing it be recommended so many times in this thread, it is on my list.

Edit: never mind, kirin's recommendations have never let me down, so i went ahead and ordered.

BTOOOM! was a bit of a blind buy for me. I've been watching it for the past two nights. It was a little more than I expected it to be... not the best, but damn talk about crazy. It seems to borrow almost everything from Battle Royale with the exception of this being like an online game. On episode 8 now and I can already tell that this probably will end on some sort of cliffhanger (the series I mean). 

Poor Himiko never gets a break does she? Jesus half of the crap involving her was flat out disturbing.

Got my Anohana PE from a random ebay seller today. My heart skipped a beat when I saw it crammed in a flat rate envelope. Luckily it wasn't damaged. Also got my Eureka 7 BD's in as well. 

I personally enjoyed BTOOOM a lot and felt it it was fine. It is definitely worth the recent $30 sale prices. 

Haven't posted here in a while.

Anyways, I'm pretty drunk, but can someone recommend an anime....now bear with me..where the main character is just a complete bad ass (preferably a ninja or samurai). I just finished playing Metal Gear Rising and Raiden was so damn awesome that it made me wanna watch some anime that had a bad ass main character.

I'm ready! Oh yeah I remember Tekkaman (sp?) from when i was like 5 and it was bad as hell...back then.

Anyways, I'm pretty drunk, but can someone recommend an anime....now bear with me..where the main character is just a complete bad ass (preferably a ninja or samurai). I just finished playing Metal Gear Rising and Raiden was so damn awesome that it made me wanna watch some anime that had a bad ass main character.

I'm ready! Oh yeah I remember Tekkaman (sp?) from when i was like 5 and it was bad as hell...back then.
Evangelion's Shinji should be your go-to.

I believe that was sarcasm, as Shinji is a whiny little bitch, though Evangelion is a pretty decent watch overall. If you've got Netflix, Samurai Champloo is definitely worth a watch. It has three main characters, two of them are the badass samurai you're looking for. The complete series is available on streaming right now.
Well...then much obliged to you and fuck that other guy lol.

Thanks, I meant to watch Smaurai Champloo at some point, now i'll do it sooner rather than later.

Hey now, Shinji does eventually become a badass.

It just takes a few episodes, going berserk, and being erased a few times. And...it kind of gets undone in End of Eva.

Rebuild and manga Shinji, though, eventually learns to stop taking crap from people.

1377175_574553579320110_4326803191597135136_n.jpg

Well, Gendo DID abandon Shinji after Yui "died" and the first thing Shinji asked him upon their reunion in Episode 1 was:

Shinji: Why did you call me here?
Gendo: Because I have a use for you now.

Plus, everybody else either scolded or shunned the kid. Misato tried to be nice, but the plot got in the way. Asuka couldn't decide if she wanted to be friends with Shinji or not, while Rei was...Rei.

And with all that, Shinji was actually becoming a good person until the Angels decide to introduce the term Mind Rape to the world.

AFRO SAMURAI

Ninja Scroll (the movie, I've never seen the show)

Samurai Champloo

Bastard!!

s-CRY-ed

Berserk

Fist of the North Star

Just a few off the top of my head.

Samurai Champloo

Bastard!!

s-CRY-ed

Berserk

Fist of the North Star

The original Ninja Scroll is good, but there's an OVA, Ninja Resurrection, which is non-canon and pretty bad IMO.

Rurouni Kenshin is bad-ass. Samurai Champloo sort of has two bad-asses, despite the series ending like it does. The thing with most anime is that the show starts out strong to catch your attention, then falters in its bad-assery to make way for plot and other characters. Darker than Black and Durarara are the same way.

Gintama would probably be a good one, although it's not exactly a short series, and it would be better suited if you are a fan of SJ stuff, although not a requirement, but would definitely get more out of it/be less irritated by some of its antics.

Fist of the Northstar is another good one, and lots of gore.

A couple of others that aren't really as action related, but the main characters are badasses, GTO and Salaryman Kintaro, but those are definitely not as actiony.

And one more suggestion is City Hunter.

There are a lot more, but just a few suggestions.

Off the top of my head, you should watch Baccano. It's got quite a few bad asses, but there's also one character that's pretty much the ultimate bad ass.

Samurai Champloo

Bastard!!

s-CRY-ed

Berserk

Fist of the North Star

Fist of the North Star is probably my #1 on that list with Samurai Champloo's Mugen making that #2. I've been meaning to see Bastard and Berserk for years and I have Ninja Scroll in the plastic still, lol. S-Cry-Ed I saw on Adult Swim ages ago and I didn't like it at the time, but my older self may appreciate it now if I watch it again.

Your list aside, Joseph Joestar from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 2 is pretty badass but his grandson (in part 3), Jotaro Joestar is even more badass. Part 1 is short but has a calmer protagonist.

I'm sure the Wind Rises will be coming out this year.  But, I hope it's not like last year where we go ONLY Up On Poppy Hill on Blu-Ray

If anyone here is into older shoujo anime, please see if you'd be interested into contributing to the crowd funding for the final DVD set of 3 for Dear Brother (Oniisame e) at animesols.com. It's a 39 episode anime from '91/'92 based off a manga by Riyoka Ikeda (The Rose of Versailles). Some of the themes like suicide, lesbianism, violence, incest, drug addiction, disease are quite a bit darker than standard shoujo fare.

I'd given up hope on this show ever coming out on DVD until a couple weeks ago I found that 2 of 3 DVD sets had already been funded at animesols. A pledge of $30 or more gets a copy of the 3rd DVD set, and at the final section of the pledge, you can add on the first 2 DVD sets for $30 a piece.

Animesols has apparantly successfully funded some other older anime like Black Jack and Creamy Mami, and although it looks like they have started selling the first volumes of those shows at Rightstuf, they are selling for $60 for 13 episodes as opposed to $30 for those who helped fund their production.

There's only 6 days to go to fund the remaining $3140 needed for the final DVD box to be made.

I can't recommend Cat Planet Cuties. There is fan service. The story's concept was interesting but it lacked substance. It basically just a standard harem anime with a wimpy main character who has to deal with 3 hot girls. The action scenes were decent though. I own it because of recommendation from a friend. I rarely go back to it though. I know the SAVE version is pretty cheap on Amazon if you want to give it a shot. Depending what you were looking for from this anime; there are better ones out there.

Cat Planet Cuties is similar to the harem romcoms ADV kept churning out in the mid-00's. The actual plot goes on the back burner until the last few episodes.

It's decent, but nowhere near Sekirei, Yamada's First Time, High School DxD, or Heaven's Lost Property.

Thanks, I'll throw $3.50 at it. Worst case scenario; I just bought a two pack of coasters.
It'll arrive with the case...relatively speaking.

If memory serves me correctly, that set is the outer cardboard set with the two thinpaks on the inside, and the last time I ordered one of these Funi type sets previously viewed from Hastings they cut the cardboard box so it will fit inside the plastic cover of a rental case, and then pop the discs inside the case, so when you receive the item it will be in a rental case with the cardboard box cut into pieces and stuffed in as the cover art.

Knowing you that will probably drive you nuts though once you receive it, so good luck. XD

$2.26 previously viewed RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne - The Complete Series is listed in stock.

Of course it may not have original cover art.

http://www.gohastings.com/product/MOVIE/RIN-Daughters-of-Mnemosyne-The-Complete-Series/sku/279965953.uts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! why didn't I check earlier I would have jumped on that so hard. I really enjoyed the series but I have always been hard pressed to spend more than $25 on it since it's so short :(

Thanks, I'll throw $3.50 at it. Worst case scenario; I just bought a two pack of coasters.
worst case you could sell it to me for $10 or so :p

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! why didn't I check earlier I would have jumped on that so hard. I really enjoyed the series but I have always been hard pressed to spend more than $25 on it since it's so short :(

worst case you could sell it to me for $10 or so :p
Maybe you can have my cut-up cardboard copy :D

Edit: Awesome. That last line wasn't there when I quoted it, but it added it to my post. I was sitting here going "What the ...oh"

Maybe you can have my cut-up cardboard copy :D

Edit: Awesome. That last line wasn't there when I quoted it, but it added it to my post. I was sitting here going "What the ...oh"
well if you get it and don't like it (or if you like it and it is cut up and want a better copy) let me know. The show isn't a favorite of mine, but I enjoyed it for what it is and at the very least it's a fairly unique experience. It's a show I constantly look for when a funimation sale springs up though... *refreshes the gohastings page a few more times hoping it will come back lol*

bread's done
Back