Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
There's been a large amount of Gundam bootlegs for ages now. They've all been easily identifiable, though, as they have had a different design and haven't tried to look like the official releases. I've still got a couple of them sitting around haha.

You're right. Glad it hasn't happened to me yet, although I'm sure that the Gurren Lagann Set I have is bootleg. Although I'm fine with having bootlegs of the series that never came out stateside.

Just noticing now since with Bandai not making them anymore, a lot of high quality bootlegs have come out. They look like the real thing, much like with the Madoka sets.

I got burned a while back on an Amazon order of a bootleg "complete" collection of wolfs rain. Image on Amazon was the official see image sold through a seller was super cheap turned out to be bootleg in a slim case with all the discs no menus and all episodes transitioned together with reduced quality also dub only (assuming the lyrical was dual audio).

Then I would've contacted customer service telling them you were sold a bootleg when promised a commercial release, and gotten your money back.

I'm not sure about that. But I know they're doing it for the Anime Legends Sets, which includes other Bandai sets. Just found about it last week. And yes, I'm a bit slow on the uptake on these matters. :lol:
Yep, got burned back in January with a Anime Legends Gundam 0079 Set 1 that a seller listed on Amazon. It was supposed to be dual audio and 21 episodes. The one I got was 24 episodes(that looked like tv rips w/ 6 episodes on 4 DVDs) and were english subtitle only. So paid$29 for a bootleg, although Amazon refunded when I pointed out the seller was selling bootlegs.

Can't find the order at the moment(I'll update later), but I think it was something like "AnimeDVDGoods" or something like that and was located in WA. But the seller is no longer on Amazon, so he probably got a lot of complaints and was shut down. But who knows, he might still be on there with another name.

For Gundam sets, if the packaging looks legit, has both english and japanese audio options, and has a bunch of discs then it's probably legit. Otherwise a bootleg. I'm pretty confident the ones I bought on my Gundam-spree are all legit except one which has me a bit suspicious (everything about it seems legit, all the discs look real, menus and everything seem fine, multiple audio, etc.) however it has a single lone spelling mistake on the back of the box in the description of the series. 

We have a store here in Hagerstown called 2nd and Charles that I've probably mentioned here before... but they sell bootleg anime in their store. The irony is that the sticker will say "(Insert title here) Bootleg". I guess since some of these sellers package them really well, the store just doesn't give a crap.

I've never invested in a bootleg, but I've heard they are either direct rips of the actual localized release or they are just fansub rips. 

For Gundam sets, if the packaging looks legit, has both english and japanese audio options, and has a bunch of discs then it's probably legit. Otherwise a bootleg. I'm pretty confident the ones I bought on my Gundam-spree are all legit except one which has me a bit suspicious (everything about it seems legit, all the discs look real, menus and everything seem fine, multiple audio, etc.) however it has a single lone spelling mistake on the back of the box in the description of the series.
Some of the official sets do have spelling mistakes.

We have a store here in Hagerstown called 2nd and Charles that I've probably mentioned here before... but they sell bootleg anime in their store. The irony is that the sticker will say "(Insert title here) Bootleg". I guess since some of these sellers package them really well, the store just doesn't give a crap.

I've never invested in a bootleg, but I've heard they are either direct rips of the actual localized release or they are just fansub rips.
Ha! I visited that store once, though I didn't look at the anime section.

Ha! I visited that store once, though I didn't look at the anime section.
It's mostly filled with individual DVDs in the anime section. But near the manga section they have a few random animes displayed near them which is where I saw all of the bootlegs. Although oddly enough they have all of the anime on Blu Ray mixed in with the entire Blu Ray section.

Just came in today

RiMMDCz.jpg

This seems like the best place to ask, but what's going on with One Piece Season 6 Voyage 1? It has a release date of this past Tuesday, yet there's absolutely no information anywhere on it. I wanna see the awesomeness of the Thriller Bark Saga!!

This seems like the best place to ask, but what's going on with One Piece Season 6 Voyage 1? It has a release date of this past Tuesday, yet there's absolutely no information anywhere on it. I wanna see the awesomeness of the Thriller Bark Saga!!
It's coming out in September. It got delayed because they stopped working on the dub to work on dubbing Film Z. Both will come out at the same time in September.

For Film Z they also got the rights to the Avril Lavigne songs.

Also Collection 10 is confirmed to be released this year.

Hey jbug, where did you get your Haganai Next from? I'm curious b/c my Right Stuf order says "backordered" and they removed the LE from their site. I can link to the page from my order, but under quantity it says no longer available.

This is the first time I've seen something like this from RS.

Hey jbug, where did you get your Haganai Next from? I'm curious b/c my Right Stuf order says "backordered" and they removed the LE from their site. I can link to the page from my order, but under quantity it says no longer available.

I got it from Right Stuf but I had it preordered since it was announced.

Don't you remember OniAi?

It's coming out in September. It got delayed because they stopped working on the dub to work on dubbing Film Z. Both will come out at the same time in September.

For Film Z they also got the rights to the Avril Lavigne songs.

Also Collection 10 is confirmed to be released this year.
Please be lying. Would you mind providing a link (not calling you a liar)? I only watch the newer episodes subbed and have been waiting for this as soon as the CP9 saga ended.

Mine will be here Monday. I was worried about mine as well since I ordered the LE and it wasn't showing up at all on the site. Even though my order page was showing reserved. I would contact RS Customer Service and ask for a partial shipment if you have anything else bundled with it. If you don't have anything bundled I would still ask them if they received more in and if so then can you have yours shipped ASAP.

Don't you remember OniAi?
Nope, didn't have any interest in that one. Were there orders that didn't get filled for that show?

Edit: Well, I guess I'm not that worried about it anymore. It was changed to "reserved for your order" sometime after I had looked at it this morning. I was concerned though, because it would have annoyed me to have an LE version of set 1 and a standard version of set 2.

Please be lying. Would you mind providing a link (not calling you a liar). I only watch the newer episodes subbed and have been waiting for this as soon as the CP9 saga ended.
I looked at ANN and Funimation's blog/twitter and have seen no source of this. Speaking of collections, I still demand more Fairy Tail collection sets. I actually caught up with all of the dub thanks to the Funimation Elite easter promo and now I'm just watching it all subbed on Crunchyroll.

On a somewhat unrelated note...

I know DBZ seems to always come up in this thread but does anyone know what's going with The Battle of the Gods DBZ movie? I heard that Fox having some ownership over it has made it hard for Funimation to pick it up or they have to wait a certain amount of time for Fox here to decide what they want to do with it, etc.

I know Warner Bros distributes all of Bleach here along with the Gintama movie so I'm kind of confused on what the exact issue is.

That info was revealed during The Unofficial One Piece Podcast this week. They had the One Piece brand manager from Funimation on and he talked about it. It was during the Q&A section starting at around 1:24:34

http://onepiecepodcast.com/podcast-episodes/2014/05/episode-317-the-doflamingo-show-josh-kocurek/

Also they are working on bringing the other movies over and if they are able to get the license they would do a multi-film release like they did for the Dragon Ball Z Movies.

I looked at ANN and Funimation's blog/twitter and have seen no source of this. Speaking of collections, I still demand more Fairy Tail collection sets. I actually caught up with all of the dub thanks to the Funimation Elite easter promo and now I'm just watching it all subbed on Crunchyroll.

On a somewhat unrelated note...

I know DBZ seems to always come up in this thread but does anyone know what's going with The Battle of the Gods DBZ movie? I heard that Fox having some ownership over it has made it hard for Funimation to pick it up or they have to wait a certain amount of time for Fox here to decide what they want to do with it, etc.

I know Warner Bros distributes all of Bleach here along with the Gintama movie so I'm kind of confused on what the exact issue is.
I absolutely hate Fairy Tail subbed. Perhaps because I started the series dubbed? BTW jbug I didn't hear a single thing about the release getting delayed ( I painfully listened to the last 10 minutes of that horrible podcast). A September release date seems extremely off. They usually release these dvd sets every 2 months give or take. Hopefully by June, Funi has everything set.

Warner's deal with anime is mainly through Viz, hence why you see Bleach, Naruto, and Vampire Knight at Walmart all the time.

Got all of y Funi sale stuff in today as well as Haganai/Henneko. Was just running out of BD's to watch between weeklies and this recharges my stash!

Warner's deal with anime is mainly through Viz, hence why you see Bleach, Naruto, and Vampire Knight at Walmart all the time.
Right. I was just using them as an example as I doubt big studios care much about anime or anything that won't make them a ton of money.

That info was revealed during The Unofficial One Piece Podcast this week.
You should of said that in the first place, lol. It just seemed like a pretty big announcement to me.

I absolutely hate Fairy Tail subbed. Perhaps because I started the series dubbed? BTW jbug I didn't hear a single thing about the release getting delayed ( I painfully listened to the last 10 minutes of that horrible podcast). A September release date seems extremely off. They usually release these dvd sets every 2 months give or take. Hopefully by June, Funi has everything set.
I started it out dub too but I think both versions are fine. I just sort of want to catch up on Fairy Tail as its been my "time killer" anime between my full time work/school schedule.

And thank god that hellish school schedule ends forever next week thanks to me graduating.

Just got an email that Shiki S.A.V.E. set is getting pushed back to June 17th. So there's another pre-order I have to wait for in June.

Nope, didn't have any interest in that one. Were there orders that didn't get filled for that show?
If it's like OniAi, Funimation didn't print enough to even fill pre-orders and had to quickly print more. Which IIRC, it took them around a month at that time to get more to retailers.

Got my order earlier today of the S.A.V.E set for Cat Planet Cuties. All I can say is to wait until you can get it under $20, even if it is a combo pack. As there are better fanservice shows out there like To Love-ru or Sekirei than it.

They already made us wait SO long to get Shiki at a reasonable price. They need to stop pushing it back! Will that push my whole Rightstuf order that far back?

Secondspin is having one of their 20% off and free shipping if you spend $25 or more deals again until the 18th.

Code:  FSMAY20S

I'm about $10 short of making an order as the used prices on most animes I see except for Kimikiss Collection Part 1 or Clannad Collection 2 doesn't seem worth it compared to the RightStuf or bigger sales (keep in mind my tastes are like Clannad/Kanon/Ghost in the Shell/Gundam of course) if that helps anyone.

Can someone tell me if theres a difference of video quality on the berserk arcs on dvd and blu ray.
Here's a review from blu-ray.com for vol 1. The things they say about it can also apply to discs 2 and 3.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Berserk-The-Golden-Age-Arc-I-The-Egg-of-the-King-Blu-ray/52442/#Review

If you're asking for opinions on which format you should buy it on, I will say that the only reason I bought these movies were because they were in high definition. I already have the series on dvd. If I had to choose between buying the movies on dvd, or paying more for the original series on dvd, I would buy the series.

The only reason I can see buying the movies on DVD instead of blu ray is if you don't want to spend ~$60.

Pretty big news. Viz Media has license the entire Sailor Moon franchise

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-16/viz-licenses-original-sailor-moon-anime-franchise

North American anime distributor Viz Media announced after its Anime Central panel on Friday that it licensed the original Sailor Moon magical girl anime franchise. The streaming, digital, and home video licenses include all 200 episodes from the five television series, the three feature films, and the assorted tie-in specials. This will include the first North American release of the final television series, Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.

Viz is offering the franchise without edits in its original uncropped 4:3 aspect ratio, with the original Japanese names, story elements, and relationships. It is also producing an uncut English dub with a new voice cast.

Viz aims to release the franchise digitally with English subtitles starting this summer, followed by the English dub starting in late 2014. It also plans DVD and Blu-ray/DVD combo releases in half-season sets starting this fall.

The first four television anime episodes will stream with English subtitles on Viz Media's NeonAlley.com service and the Hulu Plus service on Monday. Two more episodes will then debut every Monday ("Moon-day," as Viz's representatives deemed it).

At least it's coming from Viz and not NIS

With that I look forward to the Sailor Moon Re Release. 

At least it's coming from Viz and not NIS

With that I look forward to the Sailor Moon Re Release.
Yeah, if NIS would've gotten ahold of it, we wouldn't see those half season sets for under $50 ever. At least Viz is reasonable, just look at the Ranma 1/2 sets.

Also glad that they're redubbing it, as that original dub was horrid. But it also makes sense, because Sailor Stars will be coming out to with the license grab(meaning first time for an english dub).

RACS commented that Funimation said that retailers won't get more Haganai Next LE sets in until early June at the earliest.

Speaking of Funimation, they announced their August release schedule. There still is no Evangelion 3.33 release date yet. But the releases include:

- Freezing DVD/BR combo (Anime Classics)

- Heaven's Lost Property: Forte DVD/BR Combo (Anime Classics)

- Dragon Ball Z Season 6 BR

- Certain Scientific Railgun Season 2, Part 2 DVD

- Toriko Collection 1 DVD

Seems like slim pickings at this point for August.

Dub predictions:

Kari Wahlgren will be either Usagi or Minako. Colleen O'Shaugenessey will play whoever Wahlgren does not.

Mary McGlynn will be either Haruka or Setsuna.

Mamoru will be played by JYB or Yuri Lowenthal.

Kate Higgins will play Rei.

Tara Platt will play Ami. Though if Yuri plays Mamoru, I can see Platt playing Usagi.

Laura Bailey will play Michiru.

Lol. JYB or Yuri Lowenthal. It's like a given. Either way, I'm fine with the predicted cast. 

Though, I'm inclined to add in Michelle Ruff as a potential cast member as well.

I knew I was forgetting somebody.

Michelle Ruff as Makoto or Setsuna.

I also predict that whichever male does not voice Mamoru will voice Artemis.

I predict Steve Blum will voice Wiseman and/or Professor Tomoe.

Wendee Lee is also a candidate for Rei.

NIS hit my wallet's weak spot, now Viz is hitting it with an all-out-attack...

...sorry, that was a bad joke.

Super hyped to buy the Blu-ray sets when they get released. Kinda cool that there will be episodes on Hulu so soon, gotta capitalize on the hype quickly.

FUNIMATION 20 Anniversery sale! On their website. Can't post links until I post 3 posts... :(

6 months Streaming Anime for $20 • Take $20 off any order over $100, use promocode FUN20

Code: FUN20

*It WORKS! on the AOT Collectors Edition!*

- the last sale from Funimation excluded the CE. Who knows if they're going to exclude it soon by changing it.

I got the Attack on Titan Collectors Editions--Funimation Exclusive-- for only $86.73. All I needed to do was add Origins bluray ($9.99) to reach the $100 mark. Free shipping at $50 for U.S.

It's like paying for the Pyscho-Pass premium edition w/ a GotAnime membership, without having the membership. It's a fantastic deal as you get the AOT CE for a cheaper price and it's like getting Origin (or any other title under $20) for free.

Note: Funimation's site is crap in a way. When I logged in through the check out, it sent me to the store page. No matter what I did to log in, I kept getting sent back, so I ended up ordering through a guest account. Also! The discount doens't show when you apply the code in the cart. Once you checkout (with the code) and recieve the order recepit, is when you can see if the discount happened.

---

On another note... I preordered a just in case if Rightstuf doesn't get anymore L.E of Haganai Next from AnimeCorner... and I found out that preordering from them puts a hold on my debit card... I thought that they didn't charge until shipping like Rightstuf. With the AOT CE order and the Haganai, I hope my card doesn't go negative.

I knew I was forgetting somebody.

Michelle Ruff as Makoto or Setsuna.

I also predict that whichever male does not voice Mamoru will voice Artemis.

I predict Steve Blum will voice Wiseman and/or Professor Tomoe.

Wendee Lee is also a candidate for Rei.
NO WAY, John Dimaggio as Artemis ftw! I can just see the outtakes now, "Luna, want to go kill all humans?" And, I'm sorry, but Wendee Lee has gotten really lazy with her voices, lately, they all sound the same. I think Luci Christian could do it better. (if they could drag her away from Funi). And, I'd definitely back Yuri Lowenthal as Mamoru (or at least Eiru, and maybe one of the generals, or one of the amazon trio)

NO WAY, John Dimaggio as Artemis ftw! I can just see the outtakes now, "Luna, want to go kill all humans?" And, I'm sorry, but Wendee Lee has gotten really lazy with her voices, lately, they all sound the same. I think Luci Christian could do it better. (if they could drag her away from Funi). And, I'd definitely back Yuri Lowenthal as Mamoru (or at least Eiru, and maybe one of the generals, or one of the amazon trio)
Assuming DiMaggio would even do an anime, he would probably be too expensive.

Luci Christian would probably have to move to LA to record for the series, outside of a character of the day.

Oh, and I forget his name, but the guy who runs the arcade will probably be voiced by Vic Mignonga. Or he could do Rei's Grandpa. Crispin Freeman would probably voice Wiseman and/or Tomoe if Blum doesn't and voice Chad (the rock star pupil/love interest at Rei's shrine) if nothing else.

In other news, my Ikkitousen Season 4 and Jourmungard Season 2 order came in. Neither had slipcovers, but were both the official releases. Yay for cheap anime from DVD Empire!

FUNIMATION 20 Anniversary sale! On their website. Can't post links until I post 3 posts... :(
Nice. I'm not entirely convinced on the AoT CE yet but it sure is tempting. I'll check it out in a bit. And yeah, I never use Robert's Anime Corner except for the one time to pre-order Toradora on Blu for that exact reason. I think someone said there was a way around it but I forgot.

Oh, and welcome to CAG and thanks for checking out the thread!

Please tell me that all of you watched the sailor moon video until the very end where we heard her new english voice say "moon prism power make up!"  Obviously, it's too early to make judgements, but she doesn't sound like she has much emotion in her voice.  (the part of the video where she actually says it is about 3:05, or so.

bread's done
Back