Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, somebody posted pics of the Shangri-La goof a few pages back.

As for Girl's Bravo, it's still one of my favorite older ecchi anime. Story-wise, a lot of recent offerings are better, but Fukuyama is too hilarious.

I'm sitting on about $800 in Aniplex titles on my RS cart. Not sure if I should just buy it now, or wait. They're like 7 or 8 dvds. KLK included.

I'm sitting on about $800 in Aniplex titles on my RS cart. Not sure if I should just buy it now, or wait. They're like 7 or 8 dvds. KLK included.
You should totally wait, the sales will save you a whole $10! (on the whole purchase) ;P

Yea, somebody posted pics of the Shangri-La goof a few pages back.
As for Girl's Bravo, it's still one of my favorite older ecchi anime. Story-wise, a lot of recent offerings are better, but Fukuyama is too hilarious.
I didn't see a reason to suffer through the show for one good character. The best harem for me is still the Love Hina manga(the show is garbage).

you should wait... while I am usually all for supporting the anime industry when it comes to aniplex the choice is obvious... don't buy their stuff so they either lower their prices or get out of the market and let someone who will release things at reasonable prices have those shows again.

Bite the bullet bro! I did the exact same thing a few weeks back.

This right here is exactly why I hate Aniplex.
Yep same here but I've learn to just accept it. I think what I hate more is how limited they are.

you should wait... while I am usually all for supporting the anime industry when it comes to aniplex the choice is obvious... don't buy their stuff so they either lower their prices or get out of the market and let someone who will release things at reasonable prices have those shows again.
Lower their prices? HA! They always sell enough to make profit. Plus, the Madoka series showed them that people are willing to pay.

On another note, I think I am about to score the first Wagnaria LE for $45! :D

Lower their prices? HA! They always sell enough to make profit. Plus, the Madoka series showed them that people are willing to pay.

On another note, I think I am about to score the first Wagnaria LE for $45! :D
If people didn't buy their stuff, I'm sure they would drop their prices. I'd rather import from the UK than pay $600 for gurren lagann.

If people didn't buy their stuff, I'm sure they would drop their prices. I'd rather import from the UK than pay $600 for gurren lagann.
Probably not. Japanese companies have a different view on the anime market than other region companies do. They would most likely just pull out of the US market (a la Bandai). To them, they are already giving us the sets cheaper than what they would charge in Japan.

I didn't see a reason to suffer through the show for one good character. The best harem for me is still the Love Hina manga(the show is garbage).
Well, Fukuyama is in practically every episode and is arguably even more important to the series than Yukinari.

It's not my favorite (I like Tenchi Muyo, Sekirei, High School DxD, and especially Heaven's Lost Property [which is Girl's Bravo with Fukuyama as the main character]) but it's pretty much the only digitally-animated harem show made in the 2000's that I actually like.

I know Aniplex loves you guys. But yeah, seconded on the cheaper UK anime from Aniplex. Too bad scoring a region free player is becoming harder & harder, but at the end of the day, it's still way cheaper than buying just about any Aniplex USA release.

Gundam 00 season 1 on amazon for 6.99 fufilled by amazon only 17 left now, are they bootlegs is the real question though

Haven't heard of the Gundam 00 Bootlegs yet, other than the Malayasian ones.  But it does sound too good to be true. >

Well, none of the other products the seller has look bootleggy and he does have 100% feedback (albeit from only 59 ratings)

I know Aniplex loves you guys. But yeah, seconded on the cheaper UK anime from Aniplex. Too bad scoring a region free player is becoming harder & harder, but at the end of the day, it's still way cheaper than buying just about any Aniplex USA release.
A Region Free Blu Ray Player is a great investment
It is a great investment for some. Not for me though since I also think about resellability.

Gundam 00 season 1 on amazon for 6.99 fufilled by amazon only 17 left now, are they bootlegs is the real question though
Well its cheap enough to take a risk. You'll either get the correct set, S1 Part 1 LE, or a bootleg. But I want to believe the only bootlegs out there contain both season and maybe the movie, not just the first season.

I've got a couple of questions.

Where?
Why do you hate me? I never did anything to you.
Sorry melon :p I got it through a Facebook group. I've been finding alot of good deals there lately. Also got both Black Butler LEs for $25 each. Dunno how the show is (my friend says its crap) but it was in a box so yea lol.

On another note, I forgot how silly the Hellsing dub is (in a good way).

To be fair, Sentai's recent complete collections have had as many as 13 episodes per disc and Viz's Pokemon releases have had 10-12 episodes per dis before.

To be fair, Sentai's recent complete collections have had as many as 13 episodes per disc and Viz's Pokemon releases have had 10-12 episodes per dis before.
Not all their sets have;their Flowers of Evil Blu is a two disc set.I guess they do that more for shows they feel aren't close to breaking even on.

Yes that is a bootleg and when in doubt look to see if it has Chinese audio or at least subs, always a dead giveaway.
That begs the question. What anime is licensed for sale in China anyway?

Never looked it up but I can't say I've heard of a company bothering.

You guys are the experts and since I only have the English versions I wanted to ask, is this a bootleg?
I want to start off by saying that I'm not being a jerk, so please don't take this post that way. I saw that pic this morning and thought that it might help a few people if I go over the signs on that release that point to it being a bootleg, because it has many (if not all) of the signs of one.

- Languages/spelling mistakes

Though Funi has recently shown that screwing this up isn't impossible, any time you see several or gross examples of misspelled words or bad English it should be a red flag. MEPG2 is the obvious one, but that warning section at the bottom looks it was written with a bowl of alphabet soup (Oil rigs don't count as homes? Thanks for clearing that up).

Chinese subtitles, are a big one too. Now clearly with no English on the back it isn't trying to pass as a US release, but those subs mean it's coming out of China.

- Strange numbering/disc count

Large Number of episodes per disc is a small warning. Though not found here, anything saying 1-End is a huge one. I've never seen a retail release use the numbering 1-end.

- No barcodes, or missing/inappropriate company logos.

Who put this set out? How did they know what it cost? Also, although there are a variety of DVD logos used, I've never seen a retail release use the one that is used here. Sometimes bootlegs will try and use a company logo, but there's usually something off about them when you compare it to the actual one.

- Too much disc information

I think this one gets overlooked a lot. During the early days of DVDs disc stats may have been important, but that was a long time ago. This set tells you it's in color, has some nonsensical dvd code, is on DVD9s, in MPEG2 format, and has a copy protected logo that doesn't match the norm. Retail customers do not care about any of these things, and you will rarely find one or two of these things on a case let alone all of them.

- Unreasonably low price (obvious one, but it gets a bit more difficult when you buy secondhand like this)

- Faded cover images

It might be the camera/lighting, but if the cover images are pale or not very sharp it was probably taken from a low res image. Unless it seems like it should fit the style of show, crisp vibrant colors sell things better than pale soft ones.

- All region coding (minor tell, but if you see it you should pay attention to the other things)

- Cheap Cardboard and plastic sandwich style case or has a clear plastic slipcover.

This is another minor tell as well because there are retail releases that use this too (like the UK Spider Man animated collection). However, there's a feel that many of them have that once you know it you can tell it right away. There could also be cheap plastic cases with a very bad oil smell when you open them. This second one is less useful though, since you would need to be able to open it to know (and again, sometimes cheap retail releases also have that same smell though usually not as strong) Finally, a common sight among bootlegs like this is that they fit inside of a clear or slightly frosted plastic slipcover.

- If you have access to the discs and a PC, check the data itself

One of the things I found out about while checking into a movie is that you can also find bootlegs by checking the data files on the disc itself. Open up the files on your PC, and take a look at the creation date for those files. If you have a disc that was copyright 2000 and the disc information was created in 2010 then you have a disc that was copied. Though you may find certain exceptions (like when Funi used all of the case art that Geneon already produced and the packaging dates didn't match the release dates) this is a strong indicator that something is amiss.

The disc memory itself can also be a good indicator. A surprisingly low amount of disc memory should raise some concerns. This also goes back to the number of episodes issue, as you can check to see how compressed the data is.

Thanks for all the info. This was at HPB and the art box is what caught my eye. I thought it may have been something special. Glad I left it on the shelf.

For everyone that ordered the Mobile Suit Gundam 00, It seems like it might be legit. The company just relisted it and looks like someone forgot to put a 3 after the 6 and ended up being listed at $6.99 instead if the new price of $63.99 which is what they are selling it for now.

I want to start off by saying that I'm not being a jerk, so please don't take this post that way. I saw that pic this morning and thought that it might help a few people if I go over the signs on that release that point to it being a bootleg, because it has many (if not all) of the signs of one.

Though Funi has recently shown that screwing this up isn't impossible, any time you see several or gross examples of misspelled words or bad English it should be a red flag. MEPG2 is the obvious one, but that warning section at the bottom looks it was written with a bowl of alphabet soup (Oil rigs don't count as homes? Thanks for clearing that up).

Chinese subtitles, are a big one too. Now clearly with no English on the back it isn't trying to pass as a US release, but those subs mean it's coming out of China.

Large Number of episodes per disc is a small warning. Though not found here, anything saying 1-End is a huge one. I've never seen a retail release use the numbering 1-end.

Who put this set out? How did they know what it cost? Also, although there are a variety of DVD logos used, I've never seen a retail release use the one that is used here. Sometimes bootlegs will try and use a company logo, but there's usually something off about them when you compare it to the actual one.

I think this one gets overlooked a lot. During the early days of DVDs disc stats may have been important, but that was a long time ago. This set tells you it's in color, has some nonsensical dvd code, is on DVD9s, in MPEG2 format, and has a copy protected logo that doesn't match the norm. Retail customers do not care about any of these things, and you will rarely find one or two of these things on a case let alone all of them.

- Unreasonably low price (obvious one, but it gets a bit more difficult when you buy secondhand like this)

- Faded cover images

It might be the camera/lighting, but if the cover images are pale or not very sharp it was probably taken from a low res image. Unless it seems like it should fit the style of show, crisp vibrant colors sell things better than pale soft ones.

- All region coding (minor tell, but if you see it you should pay attention to the other things)

- Cheap Cardboard and plastic sandwich style case.

This is another minor tell as well because there are retail releases that use this too (like the UK Spider Man animated collection). However, there's a feel that many of them have that once you know it you can tell it right away. There could also be cheap plastic cases with a very bad oil smell when you open them. This second one is less useful though, since you would need to be able to open it to know (and again, sometimes cheap retail releases also have that same smell though usually not as strong)
I don't see the cheap clear slipcover in there anywhere. :*(

That begs the question. What anime is licensed for sale in China anyway?

Never looked it up but I can't say I've heard of a company bothering.
Anime are licensed for Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China release. I mean you can get Hong Kong version in Chinese from HMV Hong Kong, and those are official release.

Good call guys, that is fairly common. I'll add that to the cheap packaging section when I'm in front of a PC again (don't feel like navigating through spoilers on my phone) ;)

- Faded cover images

- Cheap Cardboard and plastic sandwich style case.

This is another minor tell as well because there are retail releases that use this too (like the UK Spider Man animated collection). However, there's a feel that many of them have that once you know it you can tell it right away. There could also be cheap plastic cases with a very bad oil smell when you open them. This second one is less useful though, since you would need to be able to open it to know (and again, sometimes cheap retail releases also have that same smell though usually not as strong)
Don't forget the disc memory itself. If you go check them on the computer, you can see that Official Disks run at about 6+ gigs while bootleg memory is fairly lower than that.

somehow this is the fault of someone in this thread, this thread Ive been avoiding because its too damn tempting to buy anime(I can half way resist the video game deals section when I roam it). but apparently I preordered deadman wonderland blu ray/dvd combo for 21 dollars on amazon at some point and forgot about it and now its being shipped to me.

I have actually seen a few bootlegs at FYE. Saw Kodocha, Fruits Basket, and One Piece (starring Roofy).
Bootlegs are very prevalent nowadays and while they are easy to spot for people like us, other people get gipped all the time. If the price is too good to be true or the packaging looks well a little more unusual don't get it. One time I did get fooled but without good reasoning. Some dude on eBay was selling Trigun and he had pics of the limited edition packaging, the collector's box that has the cool artwork and all the volumes inside. I jumped on it and bought it the minute I saw it go up for 40 bucks. As soon as it came i noticed the package was a little small and it was a cheap bootleg with english subtitles. Went straight to the eBay police and got my refund and a ban on his part since he used false imagery and went ahead and bought the true trigun collector's edition.

Oh and people who like Gundam if it looks and feels to be to good to be true don't buy it. There are so many bootlegs of Gundam Wing and 00 out there that it is sickening. But they're made to look like legit things especially the Wing ones. If it doesn't have Bandai on it then don't jump on it. Bandai released only general volumes and 2 collections per series, one with half and the other with the last half. 

somehow this is the fault of someone in this thread, this thread Ive been avoiding because its too damn tempting to buy anime(I can half way resist the video game deals section when I roam it). but apparently I preordered deadman wonderland blu ray/dvd combo for 21 dollars on amazon at some point and forgot about it and now its being shipped to me.
Sounds more like a personal problem. But it's all about holding yourself back. I usually only buy anime new if I really, really want it. Anything that's a part 1/2 from Funimation or is DVD only is usually a no go for me unless I know what it is. Not to mention the LE's with crap that I'll only look at once (sorry i know everyone loves them lol). I don't think I've ever bought a Sentai anime new except for maybe Persona. Same with all of the other companies. :D

Since I added a section about checking the data on the disc, I also added something that I discovered awhile back that I found useful.

I ordered a movie secondhand that had a very small print run in the US.  This thing passed every discernible test; it had the appropriate plastic shell, the cover insert matched and was on an appropriate paper thickness, the disc art was present.  There just seemed to be something slightly off about it, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was.  So, after some research I put the disc into my PC and checked the creation date on one of the datafiles.  I found that the disc had been created 10 years after they had stopped making them.

This thread needs more deals.  And unfortunately, these are the best I can offer you:

Robotics; Notes part 1, VG, $16.40 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00GS1JRPY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

FLCL, A, $14.84 (if you can figure out how something can be repackaged and factory sealed at the same time)  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004DMIIPA/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

DBZ Kai 5 and 6 for $7 and $11

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004O724UO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Kai-Part-Blu-ray/dp/B0053O8AZU/ref=sr_1_33?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1405350187&sr=1-33

And won't somebody please adopt these poor lonely copies of Phantom?  They've been in the warehouse for so long, waiting for someone to take them home. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BLQRFQO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

bread's done
Back