Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
The Devil is a Part Time for $35. Not bad, I'll bite on that since it's (probably) the LE.
There's a separate listing for the LE, actually. $38.49

Some good deals for really recent releases. Thinking of picking up Maoyu and Henneko finally, since I passed on them before at higher prices. That, and Fairy Tail 11, since after that last Funimation sale I ended up picking up the whole series.

Will this sailor moon coin really sell for anything?
I never used to preorder stuff early enough for the TRSI exclusives.

By comparison, Deadman Wonderland was released in a SAVE set
It was released in the anime classics line, so I'm pretty sure that they treat that line with more dignity and respect than the save line.

I just hate that Funimation aren't going to print out more bluray versions of Baka and test for now. I guess that they're cheap. I just hope that they release a bluray only save or something... I don't care if it's a combo pack.

Yeah, that is weird. First the 2 seasons & OVAs of Baka & Test S.A.V.E. sets are DVD only, now Princess Jellyfish. It's probably a cost cutting method they're doing. But really annoying when you know the previous OOP sets were combo packs.

Also noticed something that was rumored for October is missing on the list. So I guess they still haven't got the right materials for Sankarea yet.
I'm actually ok with this. Make the normal editions bluray/dvd, and the SAVEs dvd only. That way, people who want anime for cheap legally can still own it, and people who want the bluray will have to pay a little more.

I mean, as long as they don't charge Aniplex prices.

Just to clarify things Eva 1.11 did get a limited run that saw a foldout cover with Shinji and Rei with a purple inside and a holographic box. However, like the 2.22 slip cover it was discontinued. The DVD version saw 2 discs and the Blu Ray 1. Amazon had a pic of 2 disc blu ray but that doesn't exist. Nonetheless, I found one on Amazon for 15 bucks and was able to get a 10 dollar refund for the original so I paid 5 out of pocket. My 2.22 should be here tomorrow if not my Eva cel will be and i will share pics with all.

Last is Ranma 1/2 blu ray a limited thing or will it come down in price. I want to get into the series but the blu rays are a little pricey and may come down if they aren't limited.

Also guys wait for the complete Hellsing collection before picking up the October release and previous release. Amazon has been heavily trying to get the first two releases off the shelves by discounting them more and more which only leads me to believe we'll have a Hellisng Ultimate collection to compliment my original tv series collection.
hmmm...i wouldn't consider $40 for a full season of remastered content to be pricey. i haven't heard of them being 'limited' but on the other hand, i'm not sure how many they're planning on printing. it's a great series and well worth the set prices.
They're more than full seasons. Set 1+2 is the first 3 seasons, I believe. I assume there will be 6 volumes for the 7 seasons, but I haven't kept up with the plans for it, really.

I'm actually ok with this. Make the normal editions bluray/dvd, and the SAVEs dvd only. That way, people who want anime for cheap legally can still own it, and people who want the bluray will have to pay a little more.

I mean, as long as they don't charge Aniplex prices.
You're ok with this? :whistle2:k That is just bad, you are aware that Season 2 of Baka & Test came only in a LE correct? That means that the price of that thing will only go up. And you know that the price of the LE of Season one is around $200? So there you go there is your aniplex prices right there. :) ;)

I would rather had Baka and Test go the Classic route but since it has gone S.A.V.E., I don't see the blu's being re released anytime soon. Shame that they didn't make them combo packs like most of the other blu ray S.A.V.E. let alone release it.
Same thing for Princess Jellyfish. That thing has skyrocketed as well. Dumb of Funi to only release these as DVD only.

At least Railgun is getting a blu ray release.

I have both of those. I know that the slipcover for the second one pretty much is oop but the first one housed in a slipbox as well? Hmm did it get repackaged in a standard amaray case then?
yeah the first one is a slip cover also. Not sure if they released it in a standard case though.

You are technically correct about Deadman Wonderland, which is the best kind of correct.  :D  I've changed my original post to reflect that.  That being said, the only real difference between a save set and an Anime Classics set is the cover Funimation puts on the case.

Edit:

Since it was on my mind at the time, I found this on Amazon UK.  I think sales would have been a lot higher in the US if they had given us a plush jellyfish.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Princess-Jellyfish-Deluxe-Collectors-Edition/dp/B0087DTGKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405707904&sr=8-1&keywords=princess+jellyfish

is senran kagura any good or should i wait for a better price
you know that one gif... where the girl starts taking off her clothes and when the boobs show up it says PLOT.... yeah.... if that is the type of plot you are into I imagine senran kagura is fine, if not... then it most likely isn't lol.

Will this sailor moon coin really sell for anything?
I never used to preorder stuff early enough for the TRSI exclusives.
It's hard to tell with something like this... but if I had to guess I would guess that the coin would end up selling for $10-$20 dollars after a few months...

this is of course assuming rightstuf doesn't have a crap ton of these things and they don't start selling them for cheap themselves or including them with random other purchases.

You're ok with this? :whistle2:k That is just bad, you are aware that Season 2 of Baka & Test came only in a LE correct? That means that the price of that thing will only go up. And you know that the price of the LE of Season one is around $200? So there you go there is your aniplex prices right there. :) ;)

I would rather had Baka and Test go the Classic route but since it has gone S.A.V.E., I don't see the blu's being re released anytime soon. Shame that they didn't make them combo packs like most of the other blu ray S.A.V.E. let alone release it.
Same thing for Princess Jellyfish. That thing has skyrocketed as well. Dumb of Funi to only release these as DVD only.

They probably bombed in sales so much they didn't want to pay the BD costs

In addition aren't Anime Classics series that Funi renewed their licensing for and the SAVE sets are series that they didn't?

They probably bombed in sales so much they didn't want to pay the BD costs

In addition aren't Anime Classics series that Funi renewed their licensing for and the SAVE sets are series that they didn't?
The renewing the licensing not sure. But sounds about right.

As far as I know, the Classic Line is the titles that sold decently well, well enough to be put into the Classics.

While the SAVE sets are the ones that pretty much were failures one could say. Although, why release Cat Planet Cuties and Strike Witches are blu ray combo packs and not Baka & Test as well. I know that all of those were pretty popular but didn't sell well.

The renewing the licensing not sure. But sounds about right.

As far as I know, the Classic Line is the titles that sold decently well, well enough to be put into the Classics.

While the SAVE sets are the ones that pretty much were failures one could say. Although, why release Cat Planet Cuties and Strike Witches are blu ray combo packs and not Baka & Test as well. I know that all of those were pretty popular but didn't sell well.
The only reasoning that I can come up with is that, with CPC and SW they released them as an LE and regular editions. So, to make a cheap SAVE release, they just recalled some of the older regular editions and just repackage them and let the LEs go OOP. Since PJ was only released in a LE, they just let it go OOP and just repressed the DVDs.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'll gladly put up with their idiosyncrasies in order to get US releases of the shows that they provide ;)

Edit

But I'm still pissed about Railgun.  You can't take that away from me.

The only reasoning that I can come up with is that, with CPC and SW they released them as an LE and regular editions. So, to make a cheap SAVE release, they just recalled some of the older regular editions and just repackage them and let the LEs go OOP. Since PJ was only released in a LE, they just let it go OOP and just repressed the DVDs.
I can believe that. It is Funi we are talking about haha.

See but B&T S1 was released as a regular and a LE. But your theory about them just calling them back and gutting them is probably correct.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'll gladly put up with their idiosyncrasies in order to get US releases of the shows that they provide ;)
+1, I'll take whatever I can get. Granted, I don't like paying the prices but better to have it here then not to have it at all.

The Anime Classics line are usually titles that 2+ years old but are still licensed by Funi or are sometimes just considered classics right off the bat (Hellsing was re-licensed by Funi and was instantly put into the Anime Classics line when they released the original anime). The SAVE titles were always rumored to be titles that had a license that was expiring or it simply sold poorly to the point that Funimation wasn't going to bother in renewing the license for it and the SAVE release was the final release for that particular title.

But in all honesty, all we're doing is guessing. That sounds like a good question to ask Funimation directly to see what they consider it all to be.

As for the new DVD only releases that have had Blus is probably just showing us that DVDs are still selling more than Blus. I accidentally ordered Baka & Test then cancelled it when I saw it was DVD only as I thought it was a combo pack at first.

EDIT: Someone on the Right Stuf forums has a fairly believable explanation of Funimation's product lines:

Complete Collection = First release or two previous sets combined into one (price range $50-$70).

Viridian Collection = Re-release of previous collection with slightly cheaper price and new packaging. (Price range $35-$50)

Classics Line = Titles that have sold really well in the previous releases or have done well with the previous company for license rescues. (Price range $30-$60.)

SAVE Edition = Titles that have sold poorly and they are trying to make a little extra money off of them. (Price range $10-$35.)
[$10 for movies and $35 for Blu-rays. Most titles with 12-13 episodes are priced for $20 and most titles with 24-26 episodes are priced for $30.]

It has been noted by Funimation, that a title will end up in either the Classics line or in the SAVE line in the end.
PS. The Viridian collection no longer exists so I went ahead and crossed it out.

Since I'm at work and bored:

Something just occurred to me.  Princess Jellyfish not selling well doesn't surprise me (not because the show is bad, but rather seeing the cover and how it was promoted) but Baka and Test didn't do well?  I thought there was buzz about that show, plus it had all of the right ingredients to catch the random person's eye.  I wonder why it didn't pan out like they thought it would.

Edit

But I'm still pissed about Railgun. You can't take that away from me.
Yea, sad but true. Funi is pretty much the best anime distributor at the moment even with all their blunders.

PS. The Viridian collection no longer exists so I went ahead and crossed it out.
I'm glad. The packaging for those were terrible *hugs his ugly Spiral collection*

Something just occurred to me. Princess Jellyfish not selling well doesn't surprise me (not because the show is bad, but rather seeing the cover and how it was promoted) but Baka and Test didn't do well? I thought there was buzz about that show, plus it had all of the right ingredients to catch the random person's eye. I wonder why it didn't pan out like they thought it would.
There have been quite a few shows that have had alot of buzz but their performance was either underwhelming or bad. Heaven's Lost Property is a good example. There was alot of buzz for it but it did poor when it first released. After awhile though, sales started to pick up as the hype for it increased.

speaking of funimation they are running a new sale on their site.

but 3 get 1 free cake3

buy 6 get 2 free cake 6

buy 9 get 3 free... cake 9

given their prices though I doubt there are really any good deals there. thus since I am supposed to be cleaning I am to lazy to look :p
Terrible prices, especially for the old LEs

Something just occurred to me. Princess Jellyfish not selling well doesn't surprise me (not because the show is bad, but rather seeing the cover and how it was promoted) but Baka and Test didn't do well? I thought there was buzz about that show, plus it had all of the right ingredients to catch the random person's eye. I wonder why it didn't pan out like they thought it would.
B&T season 2 wasn't very good although it was advertised better than PJ (due to the hype from season 1). Both sold pretty bad as well noted by them not even getting standard releases (back when the standards came later) also the price drop like PJ selling for 20$ In the funi store. Dvd version is a lot cheaper even though it sucks for the fans.

I'm just sad that I missed Princess Jellyfish's price drop.  Not just because it's oop now, but I always wanted the series for $20 and could never find it at that price.

On blu ray that is ;)

I'm just sad that I missed Princess Jellyfish's price drop. Not just because it's oop now, but I always wanted the series for $20 and could never find it at that price.

On blu ray that is ;)
I would have bought it for $20, but alas I will just buy it for $18 in the SAVE version... blu ray doesn't matter much to me, I am just buying it in general because it's a good series

If all of the seasons of DBZ on Blu Ray were available, I'd buy the 9 and use the 3 freebies to try out new shows/movies. I wonder if Season 9 will be available before the year ends.

Bob of AnimeCorner inadvertently causes a twitter freak out... www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?22437-FUNimation-Adds-Ghost-in-the-Shell-Arise/page22

hmmm...i wouldn't consider $40 for a full season of remastered content to be pricey. i haven't heard of them being 'limited' but on the other hand, i'm not sure how many they're planning on printing. it's a great series and well worth the set prices.
It's not cheap either. Maybe it'll go on sale

So my package came in today! Yay!

Eva 2.22 brand new with the orange slipcover. it is a little dinged on the side but who cares.

Also the eva cel from the limited celluclub. basically a real thing but just reproduced since adv never released them. 

I also picked up soul eater from bestbuy today for 27.99 price matched from amazon with my 10 dollar reward certificate it went down to 17.99 which isn't that bad. still debating on whether to keep or return it. they didn't have much anime there and attack on titan will eventually get a full season release in the winter instead of the two part collections. 

I think i'll keep it. I only payed a few bucks out of pocket since I traded in some games to a local dealer for 15 bucks. So 2-3 bucks give or take.

Any thoughts 

God dammit, Bob. It's like he has nothing to do except ramble on in his newsletters.
dude is so clueless and bad. i hate racs with a passion. i ask for an item before i make a purchase just so i don't have to go through the refund process and it's always out of stock or on the way. not to mention when something is in stock it is always damaged. he also rambles on and is just overall a bad dealer

The poor guy is just trying to run a business, I mean he only makes "$5" for each anime set he sells, so you can see why he is so stressed out, and has to vent in a newsletter.  I mean come on guys.  Give him a break.  It's not like he's writing cancellation emails to his customer, and then passively insults them on their intelligence as to how a business works, and then sends out another email to notify there was a mistake, but it was still not his fault to begin with since their normal customers were already accustomed to their constant screw ups, so new customers can just eat it.  Nope, not like that at all guys.  GIVE HIM A BREAK!

The poor guy is just trying to run a business, I mean he only makes "$5" for each anime set he sells, so you can see why he is so stressed out, and has to vent in a newsletter. I mean come on guys. Give him a break. It's not like he's writing cancellation emails to his customer, and then passively insults them on their intelligence as to how a business works, and then sends out another email to notify there was a mistake, but it was still not his fault to begin with since their normal customers were already accustomed to their constant screw ups, so new customers can just eat it. Nope, not like that at all guys. GIVE HIM A BREAK!
i suppose but he really could improve on his stuff and his merch if he really wants those 5 bucks. he's at a loss everytime he sends something thats all jacked up and sends another or gives a refund.

The poor guy is just trying to run a business, I mean he only makes "$5" for each anime set he sells, so you can see why he is so stressed out, and has to vent in a newsletter. I mean come on guys. Give him a break. It's not like he's writing cancellation emails to his customer, and then passively insults them on their intelligence as to how a business works, and then sends out another email to notify there was a mistake, but it was still not his fault to begin with since their normal customers were already accustomed to their constant screw ups, so new customers can just eat it. Nope, not like that at all guys. GIVE HIM A BREAK!
fouad-fg-pic1_160_1243454678.jpg

Baka & Test S1 bluray still exists. You can still buy it for under $30. The LE being that much is a completely different matter. Plus, it was available for over two years at around $38 most times. And after market prices obviously don't count.

Baka & Test S2 was available for 18 months.

At what point are limited editions no longer limited? You want them to be available forever?

It's still available in DVD form for those who want it.

you might be in the wrong hobby.
i don't think i am. i can find the original sets a lot cheaper on half, amazon or eBay. i'd rather have the blu ray though and since there will be 7 sets from what i'm taking away 40-50 x 7 is more or less 280-350 plus shipping. therefore, if it's a limited thing i won't mind biting or buying the series off of ebay but if it's not i don't mind waiting either.

Baka & Test S1 bluray still exists. You can still buy it for under $30. The LE being that much is a completely different matter. Plus, it was available for over two years at around $38 most times. And after market prices obviously don't count.

Baka & Test S2 was available for 18 months.

At what point are limited editions no longer limited? You want them to be available forever?

It's still available in DVD form for those who want it.
Yes most people are aware that S1 standard combo pack still exist. But if your like me then you want to get the LE's if you can.
And yes, I understand why they are limited and if they could be around for everyone then that would be great. But this isn't how the anime world works. I have learned this the hard way.
And no one wants DVD. I only buy DVD as a last choice. That is why I'm kind of upset that I have to rebuy Railgun. But I'm ok with it now because at least it is coming to blu ray. Same can't be said for Bamboo Blade, Vividred Operation, and many other titles.

And no one wants DVD. I only buy DVD as a last choice. That is why I'm kind of upset that I have to rebuy Railgun. But I'm ok with it now because at least it is coming to blu ray. Same can't be said for Bamboo Blade, Vividred Operation, and many other titles.
I've been burned by it too. Magical Index, Tari Tari, K-On!, MM!, Mayo Chiki, Strike Witches....

Maybe people would be happier if they just laid out their plans earlier.

bread's done
Back