Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you remove promo credit from the advanced payment option window during checkout? I can't remember if that's the case, or if you can only remove Gift Card credit.
Yes but if you return an item you cannot get the promo credit back unless you start a chat with an amazon operative and explain your situation and then maybe they will. They did for me

Don't really have a preference on the genre. My favorites are probably:

Berserk

Steins;Gate

FMA: Brotherhood

Clannad

Darker Than Black

Monster

Cowboy Bebop

I've seen a bunch of the more mainstream stuff though.
I'll go with a few of my action favs then: Trigun, Gungrave, Hellsing Ultimate, Psycho Pass (skip the new "Extended" version that's airing now), Baccano, and if you dug Darker than Black, the OVA isn't bad. I'd suggest skipping the second season though.

are they ever going to re release berserk anime. it's a little hard to find and a tad bit expensive for only 6 volumes
It's currently unlicensed so your only hope now is Viz re-licensing it. They are currently doing the movies that are coming out.

I'll go with a few of my action favs then: Trigun, Gungrave, Hellsing Ultimate, Psycho Pass (skip the new "Extended" version that's airing now), Baccano, and if you dug Darker than Black, the OVA isn't bad. I'd suggest skipping the second season though.

It's currently unlicensed so your only hope now is Viz re-licensing it. They are currently doing the movies that are coming out.
darn.....i might as well try and pick up the individual volumes. the movies are ok. heard anime was better.

Sket Dance is pretty damn hilarious.
I do not agree with this person >.>;

You must have missed the part where he said he signed up for crunchyroll as I know trigun isn't on there and I am thinking gungrave isn't and likely hullsing ultimate isn't... psycho pass has a chance but it most likely is just on the funimation stuff.

anyways given the genres you mentioned, Attack on titan, Sword art online, angel beats, no game no life, the irregular at magic high school, and kids on the slope would all be great starting points... there are plenty more but those were the first that I remembered that were on crunchyroll lol

darn.....i might as well try and pick up the individual volumes. the movies are ok. heard anime was better.
Skip the individual volumes and just pick up the remastered set. Getting the individual volumes will probably cost the same, not taking into account the cost of the artbox. I REALLY wanted to like the movies but the style they chose turns me off so much. I hope we get the blurays over here one of these days. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat!

What's the verdict on Hunter x Hunter and Psychopass?
Hunter X Hunter from the episode I watched didn't appeal to me at all. Psycho Pass on the other hand is a lot like the movie, Minority Report. It starts slow but I liked it a lot.

And yes, I forgot that most of my suggestions aren't on Crunchyroll. I'm sure Psycho Pass was on CR at one time, but knowing Funimation, it may not be on there anymore. I know Trigun and Attack on Titan were on Netflix at one time so if you got that, you might want check on there too.

Loved Psycho Pass. Nice break from normal stuff and is a little dark.Written by Gen Urobuchi who also worked on Fate/zero, Madoka, and Phantom Requiem (and oversaw first few episodes of Aldnoah Zero going on right now)

No comment on HxH. I hear good things but I can't do long anime anymore lol.

Loved Psycho Pass. Nice break from normal stuff and is a little dark.Written by Gen Urobuchi who also worked on Fate/zero, Madoka, and Phantom Requiem (and oversaw first few episodes of Aldnoah Zero going on right now)

No comment on HxH. I hear good things but I can't do long anime anymore lol.
Well, that basically rules out every SJ series. :p

Hunter X Hunter is from the same guy who did YuYu Hakusho.

I have seen only a few bits and pieces, but it is one of those SJ that all the cool kids love, like One Piece.

I would highly recommend hunter x hunter. If you watch it from beginning to end you would know why. Also, york shin is one of the best arcs in anime, hands down. I love the series and it is definitely worth it especially if you want some epics arcs. It is not your typical shonen like naruto/bleach, it is a bit more mature and throws a few twists at you along with great action.

Skip the individual volumes and just pick up the remastered set. Getting the individual volumes will probably cost the same, not taking into account the cost of the artbox. I REALLY wanted to like the movies but the style they chose turns me off so much. I hope we get the blurays over here one of these days. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat!
Well the remastered set is hard to find but I guess I could agree with that notion. Might as well buy the whole thing in one shot and pay it off later then be searching hours on end for the little volumes especially 4. I don't know what the art box is but I doubt anyone is selling it.

just like i expected remastered set is very hard to find however someone is selling all 6 volumes for 29.99 starting bid. tons of watchers no bidders. may or may not go for it. probs not since someone has this sniped

Well I didn't like One Piece, also tried and really don't care for Fairy Tail. Watched Attack on Titan, it was ok. I'm on the free trial of Crunchyroll right now, I'm not super impressed so far really, not sure I'll stick with it.
Just started a free trial as well, not super impressed with their video player (fairly buggy). I would throw black lagoon in as a suggestion (for bl I personally prefer the dub over the sub)

I finished Psycho Pass recently and liked it a lot. The dub was quite good as well (if that matters to you). Some good Philip K Dick-style sci-fi that you don't get enough of in anime these days. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a darker show to watch.

Hunter X Hunter takes a while to get going (the entire first arc isn't all that interesting aka like the first 20-30 eps)

after you get done with that the next 60 or so eps are rather fun....

then you hit a huge arc that lasted like 60 eps on it's own... and while I imagine it would have been a fun arc to read.... the anime adaption was very very very very very slowly paced with tons of eps that felt like barely anything happened and it was really hard to watch week by week (if you marathoned them it wasn't to bad though) Over all I enjoyed the series, but I have dropped it until it stops airing in a few months in order to just watch the rest in one go due to pacing fears (most shonen shows eventually hit this)

As for psychopass... fair warning... there are a crap ton of cliches for the setting.... plus side, most of them are resolved in interesting ways which overall makes for a very enjoyable watch. The second half of the series is some of the more gripping stuff out there that has been released in the last 5 years (at least to me)

^ Welp, that explains on why I couldn't get into Hunter X Hunter at first. In fact, I think just about every shonen I've ever watched had a bad first batch of episodes -- Naruto, Fairy Tail, One Piece, and this. DBZ would be included but I think "the saiyan saga" is probably the best part of the anime (excluding the first episode of nothing and the bit of filler). Then it's funny that Yu Yu Hakusho, D.Gray-Man, Bleach, and Blue Exorcist all get into it immediately because they are about the supernatural in some way, lol. :p

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the Geneon and Funimation releases of Tenchi Universe? I'm about to order Ranma 1/2 season 3 on Rightstuf, but need something else to get free shipping. Noticed that the Geneon version of the set is only $15.

Never watched Berserk and saw an ad for it on a random BD I was watching. Is the original series needed in order to fully enjoy the Golden Age sets?

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the Geneon and Funimation releases of Tenchi Universe? I'm about to order Ranma 1/2 season 3 on Rightstuf, but need something else to get free shipping. Noticed that the Geneon version of the set is only $15.
No big difference as far as I know, especially since the Geneon sets have been reprinted for some odd reason after being oop for years, so it makes sense the cost has gone way down for those sets. Might be some minor extras differences, but nothing hugely different I can remember that I'd have to have the Geneon sets.

It also depends on how you feel about convenience when popping the DVDs in and out. The Geneon set is basically a repacked set with Vol.1-8 discs inside, so there's basically 3-4 episodes per disc. The Funimation set is half that amount, and all the episodes are on 4 discs. It might get irritating having to switch the discs out after 3-4 episodes, but at the same time right now it's also half the price.

No big difference as far as I know, especially since the Geneon sets have been reprinted for some odd reason after being oop for years, so it makes sense the cost has gone way down for those sets. Might be some minor extras differences, but nothing hugely different I can remember that I'd have to have the Geneon sets.

It also depends on how you feel about convenience when popping the DVDs in and out. The Geneon set is basically a repacked set with Vol.1-8 discs inside, so there's basically 3-4 episodes per disc. The Funimation set is half that amount, and all the episodes are on 4 discs. It might get irritating having to switch the discs out after 3-4 episodes, but at the same time right now it's also half the price.
I was wondering how he saw a complete Universe Geneon set for $15. I remember when you were hard pressed to find the individual discs for under $100.

Are their any other Geneon shows floating around from a reprint?

Thanks for your input. Looks like I'll go with the Geneon release.

I was wondering how he saw a complete Universe Geneon set for $15. I remember when you were hard pressed to find the individual discs for under $100.

Are their any other Geneon shows floating around from a reprint?
I'm looking at this. http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=pd13022

The only reason I can think of to buy the Funimation set over that one would be if you wanted to have all of the releases match. I can't imagine why anyone would do that though, and certainly don't own multiple copies of the first season of Shana :whistle2: (my Geneon one isn't even open : / )

Oh, and to answer my own question about other Geneon titles on their site, no. :)

Here are some more anime recommendations

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Rurouni Kenshin

Guilty Crown (Hit or miss for most people)

The Devil is a Part-timer

GTO

The only reason I can think of to buy the Funimation set over that one would be if you wanted to have all of the releases match. I can't imagine why anyone would do that though, and certainly don't own multiple copies of the first season of Shana :whistle2: (my Geneon one isn't even open : / )

Oh, and to answer my own question about other Geneon titles on their site, no. :)
Oh I can definitely relate. I have three different copies of Evangelion vol 1. And I already own the original season 3 & 4 of Ranma 1/2, but plan on getting the Viz blu-rays for them.

Here are some more anime recommendations

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Rurouni Kenshin

Guilty Crown (Hit or miss for most people)

The Devil is a Part-timer

GTO
I think you're making the same mistake I did earlier. A lot of those titles with the exception of Rurouni Kenshin are all Funimation licensed animes and are likely not on Crunchyroll. Don't quote me on that though.

Got this for $5 on Amazon. The case was bad so had to replace it but everything else is perfect. It even had the poster still in the case. I just need The End of Evangelion to complete the set but that's going to be a hard find for a reasonable price.

2IYrLV7.jpg

MkFZ8MO.jpg

Got this for $5 on Amazon. The case was bad so had to replace it but everything else is perfect. It even had the poster still in the case. I just need The End of Evangelion to complete the set but that's going to be a hard find for a reasonable price.
I ruined those posters as a kid by putting thumb tacks through each corner. Oh well, still looks pretty awesome on my wall.

^ I think the poster is well worth $5 alone. I watched all of the movies when I was a teen but aren't they just retellings or alternate versions of the anime? I just remember them being just as weird as the latter half of the anime.

^ I think the poster is well worth $5 alone. I watched all of the movies when I was a teen but aren't they just retellings or alternate versions of the anime? I just remember them being just as weird as the latter half of the anime.
Death and Rebirth seems to just be a simple recap of the main series, with little extra scenes added in. End of Evangelion is the true ending to the main series, if Gainax hadn't run out of money during the original production.

2IYrLV7.jpg

MkFZ8MO.jpg
Death and Rebirth is pretty useless. It recaps the series and gives you a quarter of what End of Eva is like. End of Eva is beautiful if you can get your mitts on one. I got both this and End of Eva for 30 on eBay so look around and don't give up. Trust me its worth it. End of Eva will blow your mind. After that you can go on a hunting spree for the Orange Slipcover of Evangelion 2.22 and the Foil Pull Out Box of 1.11. CAG on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Movie-The-End-of-Evangelion-DVD-2002-with-poster-/301252583162?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item46240d9efa

45 bucks for end of eva with art and poster. as good as it will get for a while.

just as i suspected no 7-10 near frozdragon. i may just bite and buy the whole series and then trade it back to fye. i missed out on the first auction which ended at 47 bucks. new one starts at 9 but with 15 dollar shipping. 5 days left. other starts at 30 with 6 shipping still quite some time. berserk ends in 4 hours. can't decide if im going to pick it up

I think you're making the same mistake I did earlier. A lot of those titles with the exception of Rurouni Kenshin are all Funimation licensed animes and are likely not on Crunchyroll. Don't quote me on that though.
GTO is not Funimation and Chrunchyroll is going to stream the original anime sometime this summer.

It's also probably one of my favorite animes.

Also is the 2.22 orange cover that rare? That's the one I have.

Berserk Collection (6 Volumes) ended at 54 dollars. Not worth it in the end considering the discs were heavily scratched. Guess I'll start from scratch and collect. Then again I did just buy all of the Eva Rebuild and Soul Eater so I may hold off on anime. Pay day is tonight at midnight. Wii U or Anime? The world will never know 

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. I have the orange slipcover, so cool...cool cool cool.
Reference to Community I see...Cool, cool, cool cool.

If you bought it when it first came out or in the first months then you got the Orange slip. It was super popular for a while on the Amazon charts and still is. Supply and demand and cost/effect and they discontinued the orange slip like the pull out box from Eva 1.11.

Reference to Community I see...Cool, cool, cool cool.

If you bought it when it first came out or in the first months then you got the Orange slip. It was super popular for a while on the Amazon charts and still is. Supply and demand and cost/effect and they discontinued the orange slip like the pull out box from Eva 1.11.
I was wondering what you meant by pull out box for 1.11. After some Google searches, I'm now a little disappointed I don't have that version of 1.11. At least mine has a slipcase, so it doesn't look odd next to my 2.22 with the orange slip.

Man, I hated the orange cover for 2.22. Picked it up when it first came out at BB, though I did thoroughly enjoy the movie. Why can't Funi keep consistency for the movie releases? Sigh.

So Yesterday the prices of Nekomongatari Black and Patema Inverted on Amazon UK jumped up by 4 pounds each.  Today they're back to normal, but now The Wind Rises has gone up a couple of pounds.  It's like they look at my saved items and go "We'll show this American Chap, eh wot?" 

bread's done
Back