Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the thing I don't like. I don't want instant gratification and plot points to be resolved next chapter or episode but I also don't want to be waiting 50 episodes for something to be resolved or introduced and in between then have nothing but crap.

We can all agree that bleach is the king of filler. About a good 60 episodes deal with the story and the rest other things and we're talking over a hundred episodes of pure shite. Not to mention if you did actually enjoy the show collecting it is a complete pain.

I honestly think the worst thing about a lot of these long running shonen animes is that once you actually start to collect them, they release them in a better format or set. I know well that for a few years the latter episodes of Naruto Shippuden and Bleach were in HD. You know they could probably be put on Blu, but Viz is too cheap and nobody will buy them unless it's in a massive set (I'm really wondering who is still buying those DVD sets). 

As for One Piece, we have the voyages then the collections hit a little later. I believe Fairy Tail is the only ongoing shonen series that has had a Blu release since the very beginning (and we already had the discussion on the collections so I won't restart it).

All I can say is when Naruto/Bleach/One Piece sets start over and get remastered in HD, I'll be here with my bucket of popcorn. 

One Piece doesn't look to be ending any time soon. But I still enjoy it, and it seems Oda has a good plan for everything. I've grown so attached to the characters he has created. Buying all the episodes is going to get expensive down the line though. 

Got this from Amazon for $50. Box Set 2 case is torn but for the price it's great. I have to test out the discs now but looks good so far.

t0339ld.jpg
OJxaa4X.jpg

I can understand how people may be intimidated by One Piece's length; however, I feel that it is one of the most comprehensive, well-detailed series with very little holes. A lot of events left open are usually touched upon later on and closed. I think Oda does a great job in what he does. I've been reading and watching One Piece since 2003 and it's my favorite long-running series. I was really into Naruto when the manga came out in 1999, but it's been just so drawn out to the point where I really don't care what happens in the end already. Considering that Kishimoto must have made his millions already, he needs to bring it to a conclusion. Unlike Oda who already knows how he wants to end One Piece, I think Kishimoto never expected Naruto to get as big as it was (past-tense because it's not the powerhouse it used to be about a decade ago when people would be wearing the headbands as fashion and doesn't know what kind of ending he'd be satisfied with.
You are talking solely about the manga and not the anime, right? Because I agree, the manga is awesome (though I think it reads much better collected). The anime, however, not only has a lot of filler but takes a lot of time to sit through. Will even the most diehard fan watch it in it's entirety more than a couple of times in their lifetime? Whereas I probably re-read the entirety of the manga every couple of years.

Of course, the same is true about Dragon Ball Z and I keep getting sucked into buying it again and again.

On a manga note, if Bleach and Naruto both end soonish, what's going to step up in SJ? I can understand if the editors are the ones who are prolonging these series (not sure if they are) because of that.

Got this from Amazon for $50. Box Set 2 case is torn but for the price it's great. I have to test out the discs now but looks good so far.

t0339ld.jpg
OJxaa4X.jpg
Hmm, those look kinda like bootlegs imo

Thank you very much for posting this, I was able to get the last one they had in stock for $26. I had more or less given up on getting the blu rays (and ultimately the series). :bouncy:
Booo, I was too late! Blasted melon!

I can also attest to those being legit.  They're the economy box from years ago, I also own them.

Funimation launch their Cowboy Bebop Limited Edition and it's $5 cheaper than Amazon.

http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=96276&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Cowboy_Bebop&utm_source=Blog&utm_content=FUNimation_Exclusive&utm_nooverride=1

The extras listed:

• Exclusive tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
  • Display easel
  • Four exclusive art cards
  • One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe
  • On-disc extras TBA

Both editions sound pretty lackluster to me,but I'll probably go with the Funi one since I could see that having some good disc extras to it.

Both editions sound pretty lackluster to me,but I'll probably go with the Funi one since I could see that having some good disc extras to it.
Does that listing mean there will be extra on-disc extras, or just that the extras for all sets are tba still?

On their blog post, they say they made an edition for those who want a display piece (Funimation) or extra content (Amazon), so I don't think it would make sense to have the Funimation one have extra on-disc stuff.

As far as Kenshin goes, that release is much, much better than the bento boxes I have...

Does that listing mean there will be extra on-disc extras, or just that the extras for all sets are tba still?

On their blog post, they say they made an edition for those who want a display piece (Funimation) or extra content (Amazon), so I don't think it would make sense to have the Funimation one have extra on-disc stuff.

As far as Kenshin goes, that release is much, much better than the bento boxes I have...
Am pretty sure they mean on disc extras exclusive for that set. Also for people interested in the Amazon set it jumped up to $89 :cry:

Decided to finally check out the Crackle app for Sports Jeopardy and they have a lot of anime on there. Durarara, Rurouni Kenshin, Blue Exorcist, Fate/Zero, Oriemo, Occult Academy, etc. Sadly, it's On Demand-ish so it only has a certain amount of episodes available at once

Disappointed to hear about the bebop le's not being as top notch as we were hoping. Lucky for me my perfect sessions box set came in. No cd but the seller decided to throw in the movie special edition to compensate.

Disappointed to hear about the bebop le's not being as top notch as we were hoping. Lucky for me my perfect sessions box set came in. No cd but the seller decided to throw in the movie special edition to compensate.
I think you were the only one upset about it, but okay.

Eh, I would rather not pay $24 for 6 songs. Especially when I would just rip it to my computer and never touch the CD again.

If both LEs had soundtracks, I would probably get both and try to resell them. Ah well.

What would be smart, and cost-effective would be for funi to just include a flash drive with high quality Mp3s, or Mp4s, or whatevers of the songs from the show.

Eh, I would rather not pay $24 for 6 songs. Especially when I would just rip it to my computer and never touch the CD again.

If both LEs had soundtracks, I would probably get both and try to resell them. Ah well.
So you're mad that the LE does not include soundtracks so you could resell them? Lel

What would be smart, and cost-effective would be for funi to just include a flash drive with high quality Mp3s, or Mp4s, or whatevers of the songs from the show.
That would be pretty expensive actually (think in volume amounts). A download card would probably be what route they would go to.

That would also make perfect sense, I just know that it would all easily fit on a 4 gig card, and those don't cost that much.

Really, that's not what I'm seeing online. Looks like a lot of people are disappointed. This is certainly not the end-all be-all of Bebop sets. Kill La Kill just received a better box set and that show's not half of Bebop. Sentai releases Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and a mediocre show like Queen's Blade with multiple soundtrack CDs for the bluray releases, but a show like Bebop, renowned for Yoko Kanno's soundtrack doesn't get one included? But hey, if two artbooks float anyone's boat, enjoy it (I don't see why there couldn't be one artbook and the soundtrack) or better, enjoy funimation's "display easel".

Really, that's not what I'm seeing online. Looks like a lot of people are disappointed. This is certainly not the end-all be-all of Bebop sets. Kill La Kill just received a better box set and that show's not half of Bebop. Sentai releases Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and a mediocre show like Queen's Blade with multiple soundtrack CDs for the bluray releases, but a show like Bebop, renowned for Yoko Kanno's soundtrack doesn't get one included? But hey, if two artbooks float anyone's boat, enjoy it (I don't see why there couldn't be one artbook and the soundtrack) or better, enjoy funimation's "display easel".
That's just people getting on the hate bandwagon. What did people REALLY expect from Funimation when their limited editions nowadays are just chipboard boxes and a extra bluray case. Come on people. "But its CB!", yea but its still Funimation.

If the KLK boxset you are referring to is the US one...you know that is only one volume right?

I would rip them so I can put the songs on my MP3 Player (once I get a good one, anyway) and then resell it.
Might as well just torrent them then. Same effect.
Yep. Fair use only applies if you keep the CDs after ripping. Once you sell the CDs, you are supposed to delete your back-ups. So you might as well just torrent it.

Also, Amazon raised Princess Mononoke listing to $35. Of course, I hadn't ordered it. Now I have to wait for a price drop again.

That's just people getting on the hate bandwagon. What did people REALLY expect from Funimation when their limited editions nowadays are just chipboard boxes and a extra bluray case. Come on people. "But its CB!", yea but its still Funimation.

If the KLK boxset you are referring to is the US one...you know that is only one volume right?
Yeah, I know KLK is just one volume, which makes it worst, when just a single volume includes better special features than the whole of the new Cowboy Bebop set. KLK came with a soundtrack CD, a postcard set, and a double-sided poster.

I know it's cool nowadays to say that people are riding a trendy 'hate bandwagon' (which in itself is a ridiculous concept, because it's a term that tries to invalidate legitimate concerns fans have with a release by bunching them into some amorphous collective) but that's really a two-way street. One could say the same about people who blindly accept every latest sub-par release by riding the so-called 'fanboy bandwagon'.

As far as Funimation goes, they were the ones who promised "big" things with not one but two exclusive sets -- which was surely the first sign of trouble. Again, two artbooks in the same set? A bit of redundancy there. I'd wager a single 140 page artbook could get the job done. No excuse for the OST to not be included, especially when it was in the DVD set.

Yeah, I know KLK is just one volume, which makes it worst, when just a single volume includes better special features than the whole of the new Cowboy Bebop set. KLK came with a soundtrack CD, a postcard set, and a double-sided poster.

I know it's cool nowadays to say that people are riding a trendy 'hate bandwagon' (which in itself is a ridiculous concept, because it's a term that tries to invalidate legitimate concerns fans have with a release by bunching them into some amorphous collective) but that's really a two-way street. One could say the same about people who blindly accept every latest sub-par release by riding the so-called 'fanboy bandwagon'.

As far as Funimation goes, they were the ones who promised "big" things with not one but two exclusive sets -- which was surely the first sign of trouble. Again, two artbooks in the same set? A bit of redundancy there. I'd wager a single 140 page artbook could get the job done. No excuse for the OST to not be included, especially when it was in the DVD set.
Uh, dood the one volume is $60 (for 4 eps), I would hope it would at least have extra goodies like that for the price. Also, we haven't even seen the final packaging yet. There is still time for things to change (and get delayed lol).

My stance isn't even being a fanboy. I know Funimation is shit. I have a problem with people bitching for the sake of bitching. Nobody is forcing you to buy the Limited Editions, if the extras don't mean anything to you then just go buy the standard edition then. Want the soundtrack? Go buy it then. Pissed about this being a the REMIXED edition of the series instead of the original? Go buy the Perfect Session set then. Everyone has options.

Again, the release of Psycho Pass should of gave you a hint of how things were going to be done. Besides PP, what other series has Funimation included the soundtrack to? I really don't get what people were expecting.

Though there's nothing wrong with an LP inspired package, it doesn't really fit with the actual show. Yes the music in the show is fantastic, but it's not a show about music (like say Beck would be for example). I'm sure it will look great and I will decide what to do then. It just feels like a survey told them that people liked the music so hey, LP packaging.

I think the packaging on the UK blus were a lot more appropriate, though they missed the mark a little bit as well. They made the packaging look like the sets were videocassettes (and the discs were reels). Unfortunately, they made them look like VHS tapes instead of Betamax. :)

Lol I'm pretty sure everyone was hoping for a really cool collectors edition. I mean we've been waiting for bebop blu ray and re release for ages. It's one of the most popular anime of all time often number one on lists.

As you can see people do agree about the set not being as good for the price. Cool an art book that will be on eBay soon after. Music is key in bebop. Many tracks aren't used more than once how cool it would've have been to have a cd of the best songs.

I think you should just stick to DBZ

Music is key in bebop. Many tracks aren't used more than once how cool it would've have been to have a cd of the best songs.

Sure CB has a good soundtrack but the music isn't the KEY in it. TBH, the only song I hear people bring up is the OP. Like many have said, if they wanted the soundtrack, they could have boughten it ages ago. I mean, clearly it didn't mean much to you when you were picking up your single volumes. Would it be cool? Yea of course. Is it a deal breaker? Not even.

If this was a musical anime then I would agree with most of the bitching going on, but its not.

Um, music IS key in Bebop. Where do you think the name "Bebop" comes from? Every episode title was named after a different song. It was the title that launched Yoko Kanno in America. Many people still consider it one of the best soundtracks ever. It is also one of the few anime that had a different musical score every episode. In all honesty, the soundtrack was important to the show than the actual script itself.

I personally liked Yoko Kanno's work done for Escaflowne, another title I'd like to see brought over stateside on Blu-ray. I think interest in the show has waned, though, or its license is too expensive without enough demand. Maybe we can all thank FOX for ruining its run in America over a decade and a half ago. The FOX theme haunts me to this day. I think they also put it up against Pokemon in the same time slot as well.

lol, seriously?

I meant about the Blu Ray in general. I'm not bugged about these minor changes in the release. And as for the soundtrack, you got YouTube. You can download it on your favorite music site. And I'm sure it's been out on iTunes (or at least iTunes Japan) for years. And "just stick to DBZ", are you really that mad over what I said? I would apologize but I'm not sorry.

Dem butthurts.

If you don't like it, get the standard edition.  Buy the soundtrack like everyone else has said, or download it in the case of someone wanting to resell.  I just hate how people keep saying "funimation promised" or "funimation hyped".  Funimation is funimation people. They put up news saying they are doing 2 LEs with great stuff on them.  They never said they would come to your house and give you a cowboy bepop themed blowjob from Faye, or anything that you think is the end all be all.  I'm sure in a year or two they will do a new re-release with something else added, maybe a soundtrack, maybe not.  No reason to get your panties in a wad cause you think they owe you something in a set that you don't have to buy.

Am a little disappointed in the sets,but am not throwing a hissy fit over it like a lot of fans are doing in general. Now I do think Funi has to step their game up when it come to these sets; just going off of Sentai's upcoming PE sets they seem to have the idea on to do these sets better than Funi.

All this fussing over the soundtrack makes me chuckle a little, as it reminded me that it's been about 11 years ago now when I purchased the 4-disc boxed set Cowboy Bebop soundtrack from a local import shop. Still have it on my shelf, actually. I should give it another listen (the live tracks were great). I guess I just figured that anyone who really wanted a physical copy of the soundtrack would've had it by now, considering how old the show is. Many of the tracks are available to legally purchase on iTunes, and as many others have said there's always YouTube. A lot of the discussion here makes it sound like the soundtrack has been lost to posterity, with all of the ridiculous hyperbole being bandied about. lol

A music selection CD being included with the set would've been a more realistic expectation, given that we're talking about Funimation here. Expecting a full-blown soundtrack to be included was always wishful thinking.

I personally liked Yoko Kanno's work done for Escaflowne, another title I'd like to see brought over stateside on Blu-ray. I think interest in the show has waned, though, or its license is too expensive without enough demand. Maybe we can all thank FOX for ruining its run in America over a decade and a half ago. The FOX theme haunts me to this day. I think they also put it up against Pokemon in the same time slot as well.
Escaflowne was picked up. I believe Sentai has it.

bread's done
Back