Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have much expertise with image quality, so I don't think I can help you much. Refresh rate isn't an immediate indication of a display with good display lag. Matters for gaming, but not for watching things.

If you're sensitive to lag, I suggest checking something like http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

For that, you can't trust "response time" and "refresh rate" to give you a meaningful metric.

Not sure about motion blur. Many sets advertised higher than 60 Hz are using software to interpolate / add frames to cut down on motion blur, I believe. Some are "true" 120 Hz while others are 60 Hz with software that gets them a picture "similar to" 120 Hz so they slap 120 Hz in the title.

If you find a set you're interested in, you might want to see if TFTCentral has a review for it. They have a section usually showing some high motion benchmarks of sorts.

You can give me a crappy picture, but a responsive display and I'm happy though. After all, that's what "game mode" is designed for anyway. :D

I don't have much expertise with image quality, so I don't think I can help you much. Refresh rate isn't an immediate indication of a display with good display lag. Matters for gaming, but not for watching things.

If you're sensitive to lag, I suggest checking something like http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

For that, you can't trust "response time" and "refresh rate" to give you a meaningful metric.

Not sure about motion blur. Many sets advertised higher than 60 Hz are using software to interpolate / add frames to cut down on motion blur, I believe. Some are "true" 120 Hz while others are 60 Hz with software that gets them a picture "similar to" 120 Hz so they slap 120 Hz in the title.

If you find a set you're interested in, you might want to see if TFTCentral has a review for it. They have a section usually showing some high motion benchmarks of sorts.

You can give me a crappy picture, but a responsive display and I'm happy though. After all, that's what "game mode" is designed for anyway. :D
I bought one on BF last year and went 120 hz for games. 120 hz can look weird for some animes. A notable example was the drummer character from Kids on the Slope for when he would swing his drumsticks up and down, it would slow them down so I could see them in motion and it just looked really, really weird. However, it works great with games and movies. Anime with a lot of movement and action it would probably work nice with too. Oh, and you can turn off the feature just in case it really bugs you.

I got a Samsung 40 inch last year just in case you wanted to compare or whatever,

I'm not here to say that Highschool of the Dead is bad, but I will say that it is not good enough to spend $75 on.  The series is $24.49, and the OVA is (a waste of money even at) $3.49.  Both of those blu ray prices are available at RS right now. 

That leaves you paying $47.01 for the series on dvd, a chipboard box, a thin looking art/story booklet, a window decal, 4 postcards and a bandanna. 

If you look at it as paying $47.01 for a show you already own and some extras, would you still buy the collector's edition?

crosspostin'

Tempted to bite on that High School of the Dead sale. For me, it was one of my top ten anime titles in recent years. I'll take a combination of horror, zombies and ecchi any day over some of the other recent anime cliches that are stifling the medium. Nice to see a show that doesn't rely on cutesy moe, the ever present weak-willed male and female characters which seem to now permeate the genre, or worst yet... the ultimate atrocity... a show that drags slower than a snail in mud (looking at you, Naruto).
It is considerably cheaper to buy the Highschool of the dead bluray/dvds separately. Even if you want both bluray and dvd.

HotD Bluray - $24.49

HotD DVD - $20.99

OVA Bluray - $3.49

OVA DVD - $2.44

Total - $51.41

Cheaper than the megadeal at $74.99

Not at all familiar with the store, so might I ask why? I see some not bad deals on there that I am tempted to take care of. The store looks like a make-your-own website from the '90s, though.
The owner is a douche. And a liar.

It's a 'button' for me, and it's been slowly annoying me more and more lately. It's really a problem for all Japanese media--in-so-much as games, anime, manga, etc. I'm going to do a video or write a blog post--or both--on it at some point. I'm a red blooded male like any other, but there are places for everything... and that doesn't mean that nonsense belongs in everything. Lol
I don't mind ecchi that much. I'll still watch it. It's not like I live with my parents and they can walk in or something, and I roll my eyes as much as my fiancee. If it's pure ecchi though, I get bored of it before the first episode ends. I'm in the camp that's very confused why violence is so well tolerated in the US compared to bouncy boobs.

Not to be off topic but I want to guage my fellow otaku. I might get a new TV, beside getting a slightly larger one(still only a max of 32 inches though) and uping the resolution, would it be worth shelling out the extra bucks for a up in frame rate to 120hz over 60hz? It's just I tend to notice the motion blur some on my current 60hz, especially when watching anime and it just irks my ocd. Do you think a upgrade would help calm my nerves? :lol:
Eh. There are two types of 120 hz. Either 60 hz with the black frames put in between, or true 120 hz. But honestly, I don't know how much it'll help the motion blur as long as you got a quality 60 Hz.

Edit: For the record, I have a 120 Hz 3D TV where half the frames are black frames, with the motion processing off. The black frames work by putting a black frame between each frame, because LCDs change from black to other colors consistently faster. So it should, in theory, help with motion blur. I don't witness any motion blur on my TV.

Curious BB has Hellsing Ultimate 1-4 for 22 and DBZ BOG for 17. Should i hold off on a better deal from anyone else or should i jump on these prices? Prices are good till the 29th at BB. 

Curious BB has Hellsing Ultimate 1-4 for 22 and DBZ BOG for 17. Should i hold off on a better deal from anyone else or should i jump on these prices? Prices are good till the 29th at BB.
Any discount you'd get past that would only be a couple of bucks, so how important is that to you? They also have Hellsing Ultimate Collection 2 for $15, which is damn fine.

Not to be off topic but I want to guage my fellow otaku. I might get a new TV, beside getting a slightly larger one(still only a max of 32 inches though) and uping the resolution, would it be worth shelling out the extra bucks for a up in frame rate to 120hz over 60hz? It's just I tend to notice the motion blur some on my current 60hz, especially when watching anime and it just irks my ocd. Do you think a upgrade would help calm my nerves? :lol:
It's mostly marketing. Here's a good rundown on refresh rate.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-refresh-rate

Smooth/Motion processing doesn't really work with Anime. I have a LG 55" and if I have Smooth Motion on it will have weird artifacting and feels like the frames are sped up.

The owner is a douche. And a liar.
He lurks the thread here and makes all sorts of looney remarks. And yes, the website is in desperate need of a redesign as his retro layout isn't impressing anyone. RS beats them in every way possible in terms of sales and customer support.

Smooth/Motion processing doesn't really work with Anime. I have a LG 55" and if I have Smooth Motion on it will have weird artifacting and feels like the frames are sped up.
I have a Sony 55", and with their motion processing, movement is smoother, but looks very unnatural. So I leave it off.

He lurks the thread here and makes all sorts of looney remarks. And yes, the website is in desperate need of a redesign as his retro layout isn't impressing anyone. RS beats them in every way possible in terms of sales and customer support.
I could care less how old his website looks. But when the owner is that big of a douche, I don't want anything to do with it.

I don't mind ecchi that much. I'll still watch it. It's not like I live with my parents and they can walk in or something, and I roll my eyes as much as my fiancee. If it's pure ecchi though, I get bored of it before the first episode ends. I'm in the camp that's very confused why violence is so well tolerated in the US compared to bouncy boobs.
I only like ecchi if there is more to it or they do it in a creative or absurd way. Back in the day, the only series I liked were Tenchi, Girls Bravo, and Godannar (and that one was a bit too gratuitous). I do like recent series like HOTD, Sekirei, Yamada's First Time, High School DxD, and especially Heaven's Lost Property. Even the more generic stuff like Cat Planet Cuties and Kämpher is better than the crappy stuff ADV put out in the 00's

Any discount you'd get past that would only be a couple of bucks, so how important is that to you? They also have Hellsing Ultimate Collection 2 for $15, which is damn fine.
Did snag Vol 2 when they had it for like 8 bucks awhile back and finally got around on watching it dubbed. Damn fine dub and now need to get the rest of it. Also DBZ BOG would diff be a worthwhile buy. I might just bite on them and enjoy the slight savings down the road. thanks again!

I have a Sony 55", and with their motion processing, movement is smoother, but looks very unnatural. So I leave it off.

I could care less how old his website looks. But when the owner is that big of a douche, I don't want anything to do with it.
Ya, think that's what I meant. It just looks off basically. I just have my connection set to PC. It turns off all the processing the TV do.

so will the current deals be through the 12 days of xmas or end soon?
there is a 95% chance that the current waves will be on sale through the 12 days...

a 4.9% chance they won't

a .05% chance that rightstuf's site explodes and the sale is cancelled

and various other factors such as the world exploding make up the last .05% :p

there is a 95% chance that the current waves will be on sale through the 12 days...

a 4.9% chance they won't

a .05% chance that rightstuf's site explodes and the sale is cancelled

and various other factors such as the world exploding make up the last .05% :p
thanks for the info. i think ill place my order in the event that the 4.9% does occur

MovieStop comes through again! Among other purchases, I got Trinity Blood on Blu-ray for $5 and Fairy Tail 12 and 13 for $20 each before discount.

Hey guys, is the amazon price for the Digimon dvd collection a good deal or should I wait for it to go lower?
I can see it going as low as 100, however, at 139 for all the seasons and episodes its a good deal. Not a huge Digimon fan but if I was I'd be all over it. I was always more of a Pokemon kind of guy during the craze of pocket monsters kid trainers.

As someone who liked the first three seasons of Digimon (especially the 3rd), it really depends if you ask me.  On a tight budget, I wouldn't suggest it now unless the sale price is really worth it or if you don't plan on buying too much else in the movie/anime department during these holiday sales.

I already answered my own question on Special A, but I was looking up a bit of Bodacious Space Pirates and I REALLY like what I saw.  Is it a pretty consistent anime for the space opera/sci-fi genre outside of a few episodes or is it a "meh" experience overall?

Quick question: What is the item you guys were saying to get if we were short of free shipping on Right Stuf? I'm about 4-5 shy and I need something cheap. 

Quick question: What is the item you guys were saying to get if we were short of free shipping on Right Stuf? I'm about 4-5 shy and I need something cheap.
I would go with a Blind Box item or Hi-Chews candy. There is an entire section in Money Savers called "Cart Toppers" too.

Only done it once recently and got the Nozomi version of Gasaraki.
that's pretty good. worst case scenario i scour the website and pick up a cheap single volume of something as much as i don't want to i will. solely because the cheap single volumes are the ones in abundance which makes finding the other volumes ridiculously hard and expensive when you could just buy the complete series.

i'm at 44 so 5 off. now on to searching

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Crunchyroll is offering 30% off all weekend to premium members that use the code BF2014

Not a huge selection as far as actually buying anime goes on their store, but there is some.

I think it's probably most useful if you want an expensive figure. Knocks Rage of Bahamut Dark Angel Olivia down from $140 to $91, etc.

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Crunchyroll is offering 30% off all weekend to premium members that use the code BF2014

Not a huge selection as far as actually buying anime goes on their store, but there is some.

I think it's probably most useful if you want an expensive figure. Knocks Rage of Bahamut Dark Angel Olivia down from $140 to $91, etc.
I want that figure but I don't know what Rage of Bahamut is.

Posted it earlier but its all good. ;)

Kind of wished they had Crunchyroll subscriptions on their store but nope. =(

Posted it earlier but its all good. ;)

Kind of wished they had Crunchyroll subscriptions on their store but nope. =(
ideally the subs will be on sale on cyrber monday other wise my sub is going to lapse.

edit: actually looking it up I apparently renewed in april... must have had an easter sale.

ideally the subs will be on sale on cyrber monday other wise my sub is going to lapse.

edit: actually looking it up I apparently renewed in april... must have had an easter sale.
Are they now? Where did you hear this? Not that I don't believe you but I like to see sources so I don't get my hopes up too much, lol.

Are they now? Where did you hear this? Not that I don't believe you but I like to see sources so I don't get my hopes up too much, lol.
I said ideally (as in hoping they will be) I know last year funimation did their sub sale on cyber monday instead of black friday... I can't remember when the last time crunchy put theirs on sale.

Crunchy had subscriptions on sale last year during Black Friday. It was when I got my subscription. If they don't have the same kind of sale again this year I won't be renewing.

Most of us on this forum picked up A-Channel at that price. Never heard of it before. Just saw it dirt cheap for being Sentai and it was a preorder. I think it was Froz who told us about it so naturally we blind preordered. It's an ecchi and the trailer was pretty funny seeing as I can't stand Ecchi

As for Space Dandy. If you're a huge fan then pick it up. If not its just a rip off. Short series very expensive. I personally didn't like it very much. Up to you. But 90 bucks on one series or multiple series on RightStuf

Most of us on this forum picked up A-Channel at that price. Never heard of it before. Just saw it dirt cheap for being Sentai and it was a preorder. I think it was Froz who told us about it so naturally we blind preordered. It's an ecchi and the trailer was pretty funny seeing as I can't stand Ecchi

As for Space Dandy. If you're a huge fan then pick it up. If not its just a rip off. Short series very expensive. I personally didn't like it very much. Up to you. But 90 bucks on one series or multiple series on RightStuf
Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it! I'm gonna grab the A-Channel. As for Space Dandy, the wife and I are huge fans so that's a given, I had the limited edition pre-ordered at Rightstuf (much cheaper price too) and then I saw the Amazon one. You got a good point given the $90 tag. Thanks again.

Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it! I'm gonna grab the A-Channel. As for Space Dandy, the wife and I are huge fans so that's a given, I had the limited edition pre-ordered at Rightstuf (much cheaper price too) and then I saw the Amazon one. You got a good point given the $90 tag. Thanks again.
For sure. That's what this thread is intended for. Searching for deals and giving out advice and recommendations. If you're a huge fan of something than nothing should stop you from buying what you love. I'm sure you and the wife will enjoy the limited edition goodies

MovieStop comes through again! Among other purchases, I got Trinity Blood on Blu-ray for $5 and Fairy Tail 12 and 13 for $20 each before discount.
Even better than I thought. Bought what I thought was Shiki Part 2 for $19.99 before discount. Opened it up and found that somebody replaced the two DVDs with Part 1's Blu-rays! Woo!

[quote name="Panda Wizardry" post="12285328" timestamp="1417307661"]Crunchy had subscriptions on sale last year during Black Friday. It was when I got my subscription. If they don't have the same kind of sale again this year I won't be renewing.[/quote]

Did you cancel already? If not you've already been renewed because their sub is a little less than a year.

Did you cancel already? If not you've already been renewed because their sub is a little less than a year.
I turned off the auto-renew feature. Had to e-mail customer service to get it done, though.

This year has been a big bust for deals in comparison to past years. Hopefully Cyber Monday brings something good, if not then 12 days is all we have left. All I'm really looking for is AoT part 1 and 2 for $20 each.

bread's done
Back