Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
O.O

good lord. Now that is a collector's item. That's going to take a lot of willpower to not double-dip and buy this set, imagine how left out you're going to feel when it's sold out. They got us again. Right after many of us just finished up buying most of those 11 releases LOL.

Gotta love the pitfalls of being an early adopter of movies and video games.
Lucky i got 2 out of 11. I don't mind spend $200 or less. Forget disney club deal for now :)

Lucky i got 2 out of 11. I don't mind spend $200 or less. Forget disney club deal for now :)
Yep then you're sitting pretty. :cool: That's a no-brainer purchase for you, Masterkyo.

It's hard to see what the set comes with but it appears to be nothing besides one of those cardboard paged books with a sleeve on each page for each movie. Maybe Disney sees themselves being able to charge full MRSP for each movie and it's something like $275.

Guesses on how much this set is going to cost? I'll toss $195 out there.

Fun fact: The first anime movie I've ever watched was Princess Mononoke. It was also the very first anime I purchased on DVD.

I've only seen 3 other Miyazaki movies: Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa (the only one I didn't like), and Spirited Away.  3 great movies out of 4 with another 7 movies to look forward to??!!  Sign me up.

Now let's get a Satoshi Kon collection next.

I think my first anime film was Little Nemo, my first uncut anime film was Ranma 1/2 Big Trouble in Little Nekonlon China

(what the hell did I just say Finding Nemo, instead of Little Nemo)

I think my first anime film was Little Nemo, my first uncut anime film was Ranma 1/2 Big Trouble in Little Nekonlon China
(what the hell did I just say Finding Nemo, instead of Little Nemo)
My 1st anime is samurai shodown & 2nd is Ninja Scroll. I bought SS CE VHS version at local bestbuy for $25. Watched few times, mine little sis really like the anime and took to her high school on movie day. After lunch break someone stolen it from her pack back. Really sad back on the day you flipping burger & get pay around $7.50 per hour, LOL

I also have to say what a polar opposite this is from my cag mentality, but very rarely an exception comes along.

Who thinks this may sell out fairly quickly or will this one be extremely mass produced? The Japanese version is going for over $500 on amazon.

I also have to say what a polar opposite this is from my cag mentality, but very rarely an exception comes along.

Who thinks this may sell out fairly quickly or will this one be extremely mass produced? The Japanese version is going for over $500 on amazon.
Because the Japanese MSRP is over $500. Their media just cost more.

Edit:

I don't know how I actually feel about this. I already bought every Blu-ray release, so I'll probably pass.

A similar set has also been out in Japan for ~66,000 yen (~$530).

I'm assuming this will be in the $300 range for us. Which I might have bitten on had I had none of the movies.

If the Bebop set was any indicator, and if you're after value over actually opening it up to watch, then you should probably pick this up considering Amazon is the only distributor currently of such a set.

There's also a small risk that Miyazaki could unretire again down the line, and then this set will be an incomplete set, and not hold its value in the long run since it could be missing works from his post recent retirement.

Decisions, decisions...

This is nothing like the Bebop set. The Bebop set was the first time the US got a Blu-ray version, so no one had it.

This version is for fans of Miyazaki, who more than likely has multiple copies of what's included in this set.

I'd grab the set if it didn't come out like two weeks before Black Friday. Don't get me wrong, I want the set and it looks great but it's just bad timing. Now if it hit after my tax returns came in then it would be a different story. 

Yep then you're sitting pretty. :cool: That's a no-brainer purchase for you, Masterkyo.

It's hard to see what the set comes with but it appears to be nothing besides one of those cardboard paged books with a sleeve on each page for each movie. Maybe Disney sees themselves being able to charge full MRSP for each movie and it's something like $275.

Guesses on how much this set is going to cost? I'll toss $195 out there.
You might be right about the package which in my opinion would be a little better than what I was assuming but still not to the visual quality that the Japanese or UK version was

Ordered one.  Huge waste of money since I already bought nine of these blu-rays.  But might as well order it now and then consider it later. 

If the Bebop set was any indicator, and if you're after value over actually opening it up to watch, then you should probably pick this up considering Amazon is the only distributor currently of such a set.

There's also a small risk that Miyazaki could unretire again down the line, and then this set will be an incomplete set, and not hold its value in the long run since it could be missing works from his post recent retirement.

Decisions, decisions...
he already has unretired. he work on his first CG animated short film and has been working on a samurai manga for quite some time

he already has unretired. he work on his first CG animated short film and has been working on a samurai manga for quite some time
I knew about the samurai manga, but didn't know about the animated short since that was fairly recent news. Being trapped in classrooms the entire summer until two days ago put me a bit behind. T___T

I'm probably just going to pass on the set since as many have noted that I own most of his films already, so not really worth it to double dip for that price, although may consider in the future if it ever goes down in price, and is still in stock by Amazon.

I forgot about the Mononoke dubtitles. That's why the Japanese version was in my amazon.co.jp cart!
castle in the sky and kiki also have dubtitles. and i hear ponyo has a lossless japanese audio or something. the bluray versions of these movies didn't fix any of this.

I went ahead and took advantage of Funi's Dragon Ball sale and grabbed all the DB DVDs and the blu-ray movies. Really didn't want the movies, buuuuuuuuuuuut my DB collection is now complete, minus Resurrection F and GT (but GT is garbage so we'll pretend it never existed).

The primary difference is that Kai removed most of the filler. It did other things, but thats was its main selling point.
Yup this ^^^ and the voices/ music, that's how they completed most of the arcs in only 4 sets. Also a bit less blood and it's supposed to be closer to the manga. I went ahead and picked em up it came out to about 85 after shipping if anyone was wondering.

**Also Funi sent out an email with some DB bundles for anyone who didn't get it:

Battle of God's for 18$
All of DB for 70$
All of the movies on blu-ray (minus BOG) for 90$
&
All of DBZ on blu-ray for 160$

Yeah I saw the sale on the Dragonball DVDs and it comes out to $14 a season, I'm tempted to buy them.
That is the only reason I jumped on it lol. I haven't seen them lower than $20 for a while now so it was definitely worth grabbing.

The thing I loved most about Kai was how the dub was taken serious this time. Rewatching early DBZ dub was cringe inducing, which I never noticed as a kid.

The Freiza fight is still about 20 episodes, so there's still plenty of .  I just checked, and I was close, it was 18 episodes.

So I just snagged the DBZ movie collection on Blu-ray ($90) and it said it included BoG. The other funny thing is that it said it was out of stock after I placed the order, so I guess either I got the last one (unlikely) or it's on back order (likely). Either way, great deal for 14 movies! Haven't seen some of these in forever. Look forward to Blu-Ray quality Kamehameha madness.

Thanks for the responses! Debating on the set I want to buy.
If you'd like to know a bit more about each set, in detail i can also help with that. Funimation has almost never released a perfect set of the dragonball series - each has its own flaws. Just let me know, I'll tell you what I know.

That price for the Dragon Ball bundle is really great. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a Blu-ray something for it someday, but they haven't up until now, so who knows.

The DBZ movie set shows OOS on my order but I can still place one, fingers crossed it goes through cause that's a helluva deal on those movies!

I just had a conversation with Right Stuf that turned out most unfortunate.  I figured I'd share it here with you guys, since it might impact you as well.

I was looking through my list of Manga and what volumes I had preordered, and I noticed that there were a few preorders on my list that had been released, but I still didn't have them.  I contacted C/S after seeing that My Neighbor Seki volume 3 was listed as "Pending shipment" and also as "out of stock."  What they told me was that it would not ship until the remaining items from that order were in stock.  I asked her if this meant that they were no longer combining items from multiple orders in their shipments, and she told me that they are unable to do so.  She also indicated that they would no longer be able to send partial shipments of an order.

This will bring my non-holiday sale shopping at RS to a complete stop (well, outside of the Gundam BDs, I guess).  I've preordered graphic novels with a 6 month release span between books in the same order.  I'm not waiting 6 months to read the next volume of series A because I ordered it with series B, even if it does save me $3-4 per book.

I actually found that out about a week ago since people starting complaining about it on their Facebook page, but I didn't even feel like mentioning it since it was going to be inevitable everyone would find out about their new asshat shipping methods.

Luckily for me I only have one pre-order currently that has one single volume left in the order, so they won't be screwing me on that one when it comes out.

Bastards... ~_~

I've got a confession to make:  I've never actually watched any Dragonball Z.  But I'm going to pick up one of those two sets on sale this week at the Funimation shop. 

Which set would you recommend?  The Dragonball Z series 1-9 BD bundle?  Or Dragonball Z Kai series 1-4 BD?  I was leaning towards Kai since I heard it was the streamlined version minus lots of filler.  thanks in advance for the advice.

I just had a conversation with Right Stuf that turned out most unfortunate. I figured I'd share it here with you guys, since it might impact you as well.

I was looking through my list of Manga and what volumes I had preordered, and I noticed that there were a few preorders on my list that had been released, but I still didn't have them. I contacted C/S after seeing that My Neighbor Seki volume 3 was listed as "Pending shipment" and also as "out of stock." What they told me was that it would not ship until the remaining items from that order were in stock. I asked her if this meant that they were no longer combining items from multiple orders in their shipments, and she told me that they are unable to do so. She also indicated that they would no longer be able to send partial shipments of an order.

This will bring my non-holiday sale shopping at RS to a complete stop (well, outside of the Gundam BDs, I guess). I've preordered graphic novels with a 6 month release span between books in the same order. I'm not waiting 6 months to read the next volume of series A because I ordered it with series B, even if it does save me $3-4 per book.
I guess they were losing to much money on doing this. Sucks since I have I have an order that won't shipped now till November because of 1 book not releasing until then :bomb:

Edit: Ended canceling the One-Punch Man volumes from that order. Definitely not mixing preorder items together with in-stock stuff now.

I've got a confession to make: I've never actually watched any Dragonball Z. But I'm going to pick up one of those two sets on sale this week at the Funimation shop.

Which set would you recommend? The Dragonball Z series 1-9 BD bundle? Or Dragonball Z Kai series 1-4 BD? I was leaning towards Kai since I heard it was the streamlined version minus lots of filler. thanks in advance for the advice.
The other advantage of buying Kai over the Z BDs is that it would cost $80 instead of $160, and that it would not be as large of a time investment to watch. I'm not the best person to ask which would be better, because I watched DBZ when it aired on CN and there was very little else available. I can't imagine myself choosing to sit down and watch DBZ for the first time in 2015. There's simply too many other options.

I guess they were losing to much money on doing this. Sucks since I have I have an order that won't shipped now till November because of 1 book not releasing until then :bomb:
That's pretty lame to make you wait that long on something. It wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that I've received multiple shipments from them where they could have easily included these items. I'm contemplating cancelling the things that haven't released yet and just ordering them elsewhere. That should free up all of the items I have in stasis, but I have to see how much money I'd lose by doing this before I decide.

Did their policy just change? I got a partial order shipment from Rightstuf less than two weeks ago. Order placed 7/13, shipped 7/17. What they shipped was a $5 novel all by itself, too, which was surprising. The other item in the order was Sailor Moon R part 2, which doesn't ship 'til October.

I've got a confession to make: I've never actually watched any Dragonball Z. But I'm going to pick up one of those two sets on sale this week at the Funimation shop.

Which set would you recommend? The Dragonball Z series 1-9 BD bundle? Or Dragonball Z Kai series 1-4 BD? I was leaning towards Kai since I heard it was the streamlined version minus lots of filler. thanks in advance for the advice.
I know a bit about the releases and quite a lot more about DB itself so I'll try to help you out.

Simply do not get the DBZ BD sets. They are cropped to all hell. Here is a review of the first set

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-Ball-Z-Season-1-Blu-ray/85277/#Review

Funimation has only released one good version of Z, and that's the dragon box sets but those are no longer available. The level sets were good (from what I know), but for some inexplicable reason that stopped releasing them. Also, avoind the orange brick sets - they are an abortion, I know this because I own all of them. Everything that went wrong with that release did go wrong and funimation didn't learn from its mistakes from that release.

So that pretty much leaves you with Kai as your last option. Kai has a very small amount of censorship but it is there. Kai also has the most accurate dub. Most of the filler has been removed but not all of the show has been released in the west yet, as the buu sage was only just completed in japan. Also, they redid the music with a new score for kai - but this probably won't mean much to you since you've never seen the original series.

So I would suggest Kai or, if you're willing to drop a loda of money, the dragon box sets.

bread's done
Back