Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thrilled they kept the "Detective Conan" name and revealed the DVD covers.

Movie cover:
11222581_1150142148348211_6722093562930035617_n.jpg

TV Special cover:

11887926_1150141415014951_1144641639390701007_n.jpg

:whee:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes

I can't actually tell what you're referring to from that pic. @_@

Edit:
Just took a look at my Shiki set, and it's the same thing, so probably just manufactured that way on certain sets.

^^^ above the guys head there is a line/crease running across the chipboard box.Do you have this problem square or anyone else?
I think they're all like this because the way they have to put the art onto the art box.

Because the art isn't printed on the cardboard itself, they have to wrap the art around it, and glue it on, and there is probably overlap at those points on the box to make sure they won't just easily peel off.

If you take a closer look they're are usually at the bottom of the box too on the back.

I posted this is the niche game thread too. But it looks like there is going to be a kickstarter to bring over the Muv Luv visual novels to the west. I'm totally gonna back this.

http://prefundia.com...ckstarter/6004/

Edit:
Just took a look at my Shiki set, and it's the same thing, so probably just manufactured that way on certain sets.
I don't mind that defect. It is the splitting that I hate there is no way to fix that sadly beside having to get a new slipbox. :(

Edit:
I don't mind that defect. It is the splitting that I hate there is no way to fix that sadly beside having to get a new slipbox. :(

I posted this is the niche game thread too. But it looks like there is going to be a kickstarter to bring over the Muv Luv visual novels to the west. I'm totally gonna back this.

http://prefundia.com...ckstarter/6004/
Yea they were promoting this at Anime Expo this year. Im sure it will get funded really fast. My wallet is ready.

Splitting? I don't think I've come across this problem can you post a post so I can see this splitting problem?
I don't think I've got one. Usually when they arrive like that I just return/replace them because it's such a huge eyesore. :p

Basically it's just a tear on the artwork along the top or bottom part of the spine.

I get them all the time on FUNi LEs, especially when I buy used.
Yea I only get that when I buy used mainly from Gohastings and I'm like how can these ppl treat there stuff with very little care.Like if to play catch with there sibling with it.
Yeah it reall sucks. As once it starts it is pretty much no stopping it haha. I think it would probably help if they glued the edges but that would take to much time.The only thing that holds the slipboxes together is the sticker so once that tears you can't do much. :(

The problem isn't that people treat them that way.

Typically that happens when pressure is applied on the box somewhere, and that splits the thin paper that's on the cardboard in those areas.

Because there's a hollow space on those edges where the cardboard parts are glued together, if there's any type of pressure on it, it'll start to tear the paper.  If you actually laid one flat down on the cover side, and then applied pressure on it, the spines, and other parts of the edges will start to tear.

I used to mess with the boxes when hastings was still giving refunds and not requiring anything to be shipped back, so I had fun trying to make something else out of the outer boxes, and sometimes I would try to fix them, but end up making them worse because I pressed on the cover too hard, and it splits the art elsewhere.

It's pretty much just a shitty design to allow that much hollow space on the edges by the manufacturers that allows them to easily split if it's not shipped in anything else besides a fully padded box.

And the edges are glued, but only on the inside corners of the box.  The cardboard itself is so thick that it's basically the reason why the edges on the outside are slanted.  That slant basically is just wrapped around the two cardboard pieces.

Not the best design, but other publishers like Viz does this too with their LE sets because the cardboard is so thick.

Wish the Persona 4 CE had more extras like the other CE Sentai released.

CNwV0X9VAAAj1Uw.jpg

AWD is like rolling a dye. You never know if you'll luck out or not. Just like with any item from Deep Discount. lol

---

Just got Persona in the mail along with Kenshin, DVD sized cases for the Persona release. =/

https://twitter.com/ssj_chris/status/638518605815095297

All Sentai Limited Edition thus far have been DVD sized. Another company who releases DVD sized Limited Edition NIS America.

I actually prefer DVD-sized LE or CE box sets, even for Blu-ray - I import a lot of anime and the majority of Japanese LE combos and Blu-ray-only box sets are DVD height, so any US LE releases in DVD-sized boxes will be a matching size, then. Another thing to consider is the art on a DVD box will be larger than on a Blu-ray-sized box, and if the LE has an art book or other booklets or cards included, they also can be larger-sized. Plus, I like to frankenstein standard Blu-ray releases into existing DVD art box sets of select series, creating an attractive BD/DVD combo set in a dvd-height box, and then I'll move these sets into the Blu-ray section of my shelves - so those will also match up nicely with any DVD-height LE boxes from NIS and Sentai... 

All Sentai Limited Edition thus far have been DVD sized. Another company who releases DVD sized Limited Edition NIS America.
HotD isn't.

It's only a little bit taller than a blu-ray case because of the cardboard box, and definitely shorter than a regular DVD case.

boo

the DB series and DBZ movies arent here yet.

surprised so many havent gotten all of these yet that they are so backordered.

I did get the DBZ seasons on blu ray in already though.

Went and tore right into my Steins;Gate Movie today without realizing the plastic bag had a sticky latch where you could put it back on later. Oh well, I guess it was the will of Stein's gate. :<

Went and tore right into my Steins;Gate Movie today without realizing the plastic bag had a sticky latch where you could put it back on later. Oh well, I guess it was the will of Stein's gate. :&lt;
Doh! Most Japanese anime releases come in resealable bags, so your box always stays minty-fresh on the shelf... That's one of the big reasons I like to import so much. I wish US domestic anime came with resealable bags. I have to buy my own bags online and use a heat-sealer to re-size the bags to the proper fit for each of my domestic titles on my shelf.

Doh! Most Japanese anime releases come in resealable bags, so your box always stays minty-fresh on the shelf... That's one of the big reasons I like to import so much. I wish US domestic anime came with resealable bags. I have to buy my own bags online and use a heat-sealer to re-size the bags to the proper fit for each of my domestic titles on my shelf.
I always bought domestic and European releases... I'm imaging these Japanese LE's being put in a bags are kind of like comic books, lol. Kind of curious on what they are like.

The Book Off store here puts used movies and games in resealable bags. I even bought like a GBA game in box in a bag.

Yes, but Japanese anime are shipped from the manufacturer to the retailer with form-fitting resealable bags on them, that's pretty much standard packaging... Here in the US they just use that crappy, thin shrinkwrap on everything - use once, tear it off, and it's gone. I do actually slit the shrinkwrap on my domestic LE box sets with a razor blade, cutting a flap/door on the open side of the slipbox just wide enough to allow sliding the cases out one at a time, without removing the shrink wrap - that way I have protection on the box until I can make proper-sized resealable bags for them.  Only thing is, the aftermarket resealable bags you buy online are much thinner than the bags on most Japanese anime, so they don't last very long... everything has to be made so dang cheap over here... 

If possible, could you guys post pics or vids of these bags? Definitely piqued my interest.
Not sure if you mean the bags on Japanese LE releases, or the bags you can buy online...

Here's what the bags on JP Blu-ray Box releases look like, you can see the adhesive strip on the back side of this Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Blu-ray box... these are form-fitting plastic bags with neatly-folded corners and flaps on the open top, kind of like a cereal box (you can see the small flaps through the plastic on the top of the box) and then a longer flap folds over and adheres with a resealable sticky strip to the back side of the bag.

http://freytheater.com/forum/anime/gits/gitsbag1.jpg

http://freytheater.com/forum/anime/gits/gitsbag2.jpg

If you're wanting to see what the aftermarket bags look like, just do a search on "resealable OPP bags." They come in different standard sizes, and there are some specifically sized to DVD and Blu-ray cases (without slips, though), but for LE boxes you have to get a bag sized bigger than the box and then resize the bags if you can, I use a manual heat-sealer made for OPP to size the bags correctly for each box, but it is a bit of a PITA... and those bags are pretty flimsy compared to the JP sets...

Are there spoiler tags for posting pics on this forum? These are the first images I've tried to post on this forum, so sorry for the big photos, I would normally spoiler them... OK, I linked them instead of posting the photos directly, guess that will be better.

Hi. I was wondering. How does ordering from amazon japan work? I want to buy the Love Live movie with the box asap... But im not really sure how to calculate how much it will cost and how it works (like how to pay and if they charge now or ehen it ships). Thanks for the help.
In the USA.

Hi. I was wondering. How does ordering from amazon japan work? I want to buy the Love Live movie with the box asap... But im not really sure how to calculate how much it will cost and how it works (like how to pay and if they charge now or ehen it ships). Thanks for the help.
In the USA.
When it ships.

You can use Google to get a good estimate on the conversion. For example, google "7400 yen = ? usd".

Your credit card might charge you foreign transaction fees. Typically about 3%.

Shipping from Amazon.co.jp is like 2000 1200 yen for the first item or somewhere around there.

Edit: It's 14,578 JPY shipped, which is about $121 before conversion fees.

When it ships.

You can use Google to get a good estimate on the conversion. For example, google "7400 yen = ? usd".

Your credit card might charge you foreign transaction fees. Typically about 3%.

Shipping from Amazon.co.jp is like 2000 yen for the first item or somewhere around there.
Well, first thing you do right off the bat is deduct 8% from whatever the listed price is showing on Amazon.co.jp, as their pricing includes the 8% Japanese domestic Tax - which us foreigners don't pay. When you put an item into your cart and go to check out, you'll see it automatically deducts that 8% for you. Currently Amazon's conversion rate is around .0085 dollars to the yen, but that can change daily. Items shipping directly from an Amazon warehouse (and not a marketplace seller) will cost 800 yen for the package, plus 300 Yen for each item in the package.

So, If you want to buy one item on Amazon.co,jp and it's listed as say, 6800¥, you first deduct 8%, which makes it 6256¥. Multiplying by the exchange rate .0085 comes to $53.18. Shipping is 800¥ for the box plus 300¥ for the one item inside, so that's 1100¥ x .0084 = $9.35, for a grand total of $62.53. And yes, if your credit card charges a conversion fee, that will be a couple more dollars added on your monthly statement.

Nice thing about Amazon JP is, you get your item on your doorstep in 3 days or less. From the time my item leaves the Amazon Warehouse in Japan to the time it is delivered on my front porch, it's always taken less than 40 hours. Plus with DHL, if you can't be there to sign for the package when they deliver it, you can post a note on the front door with the tracking number and your signature, and they will leave the package on the porch if that works for you.

I'd like to pre-order the DBZ: RF CE on RightStuf, but is the $3 discount for Got Anime members still active?

I let my membership run out, but I might as well re-up if the discount is still going; I'm sure I'll buy something else within the next 365 days, after all. :p

If I add both to the cart and check-out, I just have to e-mail them to reflect the discount, right?

Thanks!

bread's done
Back