Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! Yes, very fitting description for Future Diary. That price isn't materially different than Amazon and Amazon Prime > Funimation. Thanks for making me check ;)
They were fairly different yesterday. XD

Only one that's a big difference this morning is Danganronpa still. :(

Half the antagonists in Brotherhood were just bad for the sake of being bad. Obviously their personalities stem from their sin, but beyond that, half the homunculi were Saturday morning cartoon villains.
You're mistaking "angst" for characterization. Simply being conflicted in some way doesn't make a character good. Sometimes an unambiguously evil character can be extremely appealing.

This was one of the failings of the original 03 series, and one of the biggest strengths of Brotherhood. While the villains of the 03 series were certainly more human and relatable, they also weren't nearly as consistent or well-formed. They also weren't always particularly likable. I never enjoyed the original iteration of Wrath. He was whiny, ineffective, and I never understood why he was even tolerated. Lust was better handled, but her origin story felt forced, and didn't contribute to the overall narrative. Sloth was one of the biggest disappointments, and served as little more than a transparent attempt to yank on the emotions of the Elric brothers. There was also the fact that her design had nothing to do with her namesake. Nothing about her ever actually seemed "slothful."

And then there was Kimbly. The original series made him little more than an unbalanced thug. Brotherhood made him suave, erudite, and considerably more intimidating than his original incarnation. He was a far more interesting villain in brotherhood, and a lot more fun to watch. In the same vein, Scar's story also made more sense in brotherhood, and he was given considerably more time to grow and change.

And for me, Bradly was one of the biggest differences. He felt like a bit of a waste in the original series. He was a potentially interesting character who got a very small amount of screen time, and died in a rather anti-climactic fashion. In brotherhood he was practically a force of nature, and I loved it every time he was on screen. Easily one of the most fascinating characters in the series, even if he was also one of the least conflicted. This is definitely the version of Wrath that I prefer.

The ultimate villain for each series was a serious sticking point for me. The original series main antagonist, and arguably its "mastermind" was very disappointing. Not only were they shoe-horned into the series much later, but I just felt that their motivation was petty. They were also more human and relatable, but that's not always what I'm looking for out of a villain. The "smallness" of what they were trying to achieve weakened the journey and struggles of the main protagonists. This might have also been a matter of adhering to the themes of the series, as it did make for a darker, grimmer story. But it also depressed me a little. I much preferred the inhuman nature and far more ambitious motivations of brotherhood's antagonist.

And again, I'm not looking to get into a major debate over this. These are just minor matters of personal preference. I don't dislike the original series. When they recently re-released that series on Blu-Ray, I was only too happy to pick up a copy for my collection, despite already owning brotherhood. I am a fan of both series, and believe they both have a lot to recommend them. If nothing else, they serve as a delightful case-study on how a series can be altered when it runs ahead of its source material.

And again, I'm not looking to get into a major debate over this. These are just minor matters of personal preference. I don't dislike the original series. When they recently re-released that series on Blu-Ray, I was only too happy to pick up a copy for my collection, despite already owning brotherhood. I am a fan of both series, and believe they both have a lot to recommend them. If nothing else, they serve as a delightful case-study on how a series can be altered when it runs ahead of its source material.
slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Spoiler tags, man.

And I agree about the '03 Sloth. Fit absolutely nothing. Was as random as Dexter S4 ending. But everyone loved that too.

It happens like someone came in the room the day they started writing those episodes and went, "We should do this to get people talking!"

To be fair, Kimblee's deeper characterization had not happened in the manga when the original anime was airing. I don't even think Olivia had been introduced yet in the manga.

As for the bad guys, I didn't mind Brotherhood's until the end when Father started his assault. Then the series decided to become Dragonball Bleach.

As for the bad guys, I didn't mind Brotherhood's until the end when Father started his assault. Then the series decided to become Dragonball Bleach.
Yeah, I honestly don't remember the Brotherhood ending very well. But I was disappointed with Father as a character, and his ending.

And we know what the author of Usagi Drop wanted. What's your point?
This made me actually go hunting for what you were talking about and I think I ended up spoiling the manga ending for myself >< lol I loved that anime and now I'm gonna go read the manga to find out what happens and pretend I never read what I read about the ending.

Edit: Oh and FMA is great - both of the series, though I liked the pacing of Brotherhood more. I found both endings intriguing.

The "twist" ending for the original FMA came a little out of nowhere. It was a very interesting idea, which I thought could have stood some further exploration. But it wasn't as integrated into the overall series as well as it could have been. It would have been much better if it had been threaded through the series up until that point, and hinted at subtely.

But that is just more evidence of a series spinning off from its source material. With this approach, you can get strange ideas that are thrown in at the last minute. While I did feel the "twist" for the ending was a little un-earned, it did directly lead into the "Conqueror of Shambala" movie. And that film fully embraced and explored that twist, making for a thouroughly enjoyable experience. It is much easier to forgive the somewhat cluttered ending to the original FMA thanks to the movie that came afterward. In some ways the movie feels like the "proper" ending to the series. This is a prime example of the creative team of the original series doing the best with what they had. While it didn't all work, it was actually rather impressive what they were able to achieve on their own.

The greatest success of the original series was in its consistency of tone. While its plot and characters had a tendency to meander, its tone and theming was always spot-on. This could turn some people off, as the tone they were going for was one of tragedy. The original FMA is consistently tragic. At the end of the day, everyone loses to one degree or another. And they stuck with this, reinforcing it over and over again.

Brotherhood had tragic elements, but was ultimately a more hopeful and optimistic series. This makes it more structurally sound, and more of a fun romp. But you do lose something by excising some of the more pronounced tragic themes of the original series. This clear division is why I feel both series are worth having on my shelf.

(I'm getting really tired of the autocorrect on my phone. It's making me look like an idiot.)

A few of those points I completely agree with. As I said, I love both series; own both shows, both movies, and both OVA's. But blindly overlooking the flaws of either one of them is not a good thing.

One small thing to keep in mind is that the story in Brotherhood had much longer to develop. FMA is 50 episodes; Brotherhood had 64 IIRC - and that's after condensing much of the beginning. FMA could have done better by some of the later villains, but it still couldn't match the quality that Brotherhood reached because it just didn't have the time.

This made me actually go hunting for what you were talking about and I think I ended up spoiling the manga ending for myself >< lol I loved that anime and now I'm gonna go read the manga to find out what happens and pretend I never read what I read about the ending.
You have my condolences.

Brotherhood is absolutely one of those colorful and vibrant animes I have ever watched.  That was probably my favorite aspect.  The show just looks amazing on blu ray. 

The "twist" ending for the original FMA came a little out of nowhere.

The greatest success of the original series was in its consistency of tone.
Pretty much agree with all of this.

The parts that felt off to me in the '03 version was always

1) Sloth's/Wrath's/Pride's origins made no sense. The rest did.

2) Rose's reappearance.

3) The parallel worlds contradicted something they said in the first episodes.

The parts that felt off in FMA:B:

1) Eastern alchemy being used as deux ex machina.

2) The last fight.

3) Yoki literally just appeared.

FMA could have done better by some of the later villains, but it still couldn't match the quality that Brotherhood reached because it just didn't have the time.
This is very true. In some ways, Brotherhood had a leg up on the original series specifically because the original series existed first. The creators of Brotherhood already had an extremely solid example to work from in crafting Brotherhood. They would never have been able to make the beginning of the series as truncated as they did without that template. And the extra breathing room that Brotherhood's run time gave it also significantly contributed to the strength of some of its characters. Pair that with the tightened pacing and it is easy to see that Brotherhood started off with numerous advantages that the original series didn't enjoy.

Added to all of that is the fact that Brotherhood was based off of a completed story. It is WAY easier to get pacing for a series correct when you are working off of a finished product. When taking all of this into account, it makes you appreciate the effort and creativity that the original series' team put into that project. Though not perfect, they managed to make something unique and compelling.

I'm not sure how much of the ending to the original series was planned out since Arakawa told them right from the start to make an original ending,

In other news, I stopped in to Best Buy today to take advantage of the Anime Mystery promo. There wasn't much anime DVDs, but Naruto Shippuden Set 25 and DBZ Blu-rays were $20. For whatever reason, my Best Buy never got the figures in so they gave away $10 Gift Cards instead. I don't even think the figures cost $10.

Also, for some reason Shovel Knight was one of the games spotlighted. No idea why.

for crying out loud.

if you want to discuss anime (including FMA) there is an anime discussion thread.

I am getting really sick and tired of wading through all this discussion making sure I don't miss any deals :/

not that anime deals are a thing anymore.... but still @_@.

I mean some quick thoughts are fine, but this has been going on for pages now.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the way the two series differ in structure.   I use the Ghost in the Shell example to describe this structure when describing television shows.  Some episodes are "stand alone" episodes that stand apart from the main plot line and tell their individual stories, whereas as others are "complex" episodes that are part of the overarching main storyline  (anybody know a better set of descriptors? lol).  I prefer anime series that have this "stand alone" episodic content which both complements and deviates from the main story.  Which is not to be confused with filler.   The stand alone content helps with world building and enriching this world.  It also allows casual watchers to jump in and enjoy a single self-contained episode.  On the other hand, lots of modern anime series suffer from series of garbage filler episodes as they wait for the manga to catch up. Or else they are simply used as a device to artificially lengthen the series. 

This is another reason why I like the original as I prefer this kind of structure.  It just feels more episodic. I also feel like it makes the eventual climax more rewarding.  A culmination of short stories, tidbits, and flashbacks reach their eventual conclusion; all roads leading to the same place.  However, I can also understand why people would prefer one long continuous story instead.

I literally just laughed out loud.

But yea, aside from Best Buy's Anime Mystery sale, the only anime deals are RightStuf, GoHastings, and the occasional Amazon price drop.

for crying out loud.

if you want to discuss anime (including FMA) there is an anime discussion thread.

I am getting really sick and tired of wading through all this discussion making sure I don't miss any deals :/

not that anime deals are a thing anymore.... but still @_@.

I mean some quick thoughts are fine, but this has been going on for pages now.
I'll agree that the FMA vs FMAB has gone on pretty long. But I don't agree with the thought of "you can't discuss anime quality in the anime deals thread."

Every thread on CAG (ex: Splatoon is x% off) is going to have a discussion not just on the price but also quality and interest. ("How is Splatoon? how much content, was it fun?") and I think that's fine. i think it's relevant in anime as well, especialy since the experience is more linear and arguably easier to quantify the relative quality (image quality, animation, VA, special features) even if the story/characters might be more subjective.

TL;DR FMA v FMAB who cares but i dont think its off topic by default.

Speaking of FMA: Brotherhood, I got both collections for free from funimation as they previously sent me my original copies and the cases were smashed so I emailed them and they sent me another copy of each, so I sold my originals and made back the money and a little bit extra

Macross got a good game, its called Macross 30 and it came out in 2013

What are the many more other reasons besides the "8" listed? Pls dont be like a Garage Sale Sign that advertises a huge sale and it ended up being a table of brick a brack :p

All this FMA Brotherhood talk reminded me that Borders was still in business back when those initial blu ray sets were released, as I got all five new from them for 40-60% off.

I miss Borders.
They also used to have a $1 (hidden) clearance sale. That is how I got my Bleach Plushies, designer toys, DVDs, Books, etc.

I spent around $1,780 on that sale the one year.

Lets get this all out of the way, Subs > dubs, Robotech > Macross, and the only good Full Metal series is the Full Metal Panic series. Hopefully that stirs up and/or calms everyone down lol

On an unrelated note, is anyone going to see Kizumonogatari? I just bought my tickets for the Chicago Music Box. Hopefully its good, I've been waiting years for this.

An unprovoked cheapshot at Star Blazers and 3 points that have nothing to do with the actual shows?
In his defense, only one of those points was sufficient enough to prove his point. He probably felt he didn't need to try...

Macross got a good game, its called Macross 30 and it came out in 2013

What are the many more other reasons besides the "8" listed?
I'm not going to list pages of reasons (though I can), but, for starters, the whole concept of protoculture is utilized better in Robotech. A story about an interstellar war over a powerful energy source (Robotech) is more interesting than one waged because of obscure knowledge of some ancient alien race and fear of cultural contamination (Macross).

Ulpio Minucci's Robotech score trumps the orignal Macross. And, without Robotech, we wouldn't have seen the McKinney novels which feature a much richer story and universe than what we see in the combined Macross titles.

But hey, I'm likely in the minority. It's far more "cool" and geek-cred worthy to hate on Harmony Gold and Carl Macek, and to praise the "untainted" Macross.

One of the Korra art books I got during the RS holiday sale has page defects:
Q8kxzrN.jpg

Sending it back to RS for replacement. Double-check your books if you ordered any. Of the three I got (Books 2, 3, 4), only Book 2 had defects.

Also I received the Animate lucky bag today. There's a lot of stuff in there. I'll post the loot when I can.

One of the Korra art books I got during the RS holiday sale has page defects:
Q8kxzrN.jpg

Sending it back to RS for replacement. Double-check your books if you ordered any. Of the three I got (Books 2, 3, 4), only Book 2 had defects.

Also I received the Animate lucky bag today. There's a lot of stuff in there. I'll post the loot when I can.
i didn't get my animate bag.. despite being charged for 4 day shipping and originally it was supposed to get here today it now won't get here until tuesday -_-

Just noticed my loot is pretty much everything in the sample image (plus more):
zHuS125.jpg

i didn't get my animate bag.. despite being charged for 4 day shipping and originally it was supposed to get here today it now won't get here until tuesday -_-
Weird, I used cheapest shipping and it had to travel from CA to FL.

Lets get this all out of the way, Subs > dubs, Robotech > Macross, and the only good Full Metal series is the Full Metal Panic series. Hopefully that stirs up and/or calms everyone down lol

On an unrelated note, is anyone going to see Kizumonogatari? I just bought my tickets for the Chicago Music Box. Hopefully its good, I've been waiting years for this.
Yup catching it on my off day, in Chicago as well. I've read the recently translated books, kinda wanna see how it plays out on the big screen.

bread's done
Back