Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone's on the fence about DVDPlanet's packaging quality, I just received my first order from them (been a while since I used DeepDiscount so I forgot what it's like), and it's OK at best. No items damaged, but at the same time, no additional materials like brown paper or padding in the box. I got three sets (Ranma 5+6 and Gargantia). Only Ranma 6 was damaged due to what looks like a boxcutter's doing. (There was a horizontal line carved in that goes the distance of the spine.) Going to see if I can get that exchanged, but take advantage of the low prices they have on Viz stuff while it lasts.

the worst part was blood lad didn't have any translations for a while, legal or otherwise so you couldn't even continue it that way unless you could read japanese >.<;
Was it completed?I followed the scans for awhile and gave up when it stalled.

Sorry for double posting. I can't figure out how to do it on my phone.

New email from Ann.

We relaunched the Skip Beat campaign on Kickstarter about 30 hours ago. Within a matter of hours we beat the funds raised on Indiegogo, and now the sky's the limit!

This message is going out to everyone who signed up to preview the Indiegogo campaign. Shawne Kleckner, all around awesome person and head of Righstuf, is on this list too, and he was like, "Ann, I didn't get a notice about the Kickstarter launch! What's up?!"

Here's the link:

https://goo.gl/i1QRI4

The $500 tier rewards are all gone, but I'll be talking with the dub team about opening up additional slots next week. And I'm working on some limited edition merch for the $200 to $400 range, so there is still more to come.

This Kickstarter campaign is for DVD only so I could skinny down the goal to $155K. Blu-ray is our first stretch goal at $185K.

We've had such a tremendous outpouring of generosity for Skip Beat - from our backers (I know many of you receiving this message have already joined the Kickstarter campaign - a huge thank you!!!), and also within the industry.

Shawne has included the campaign in Righstuf's newsletter - thank you!! And now I'm going to get on my soap box: folks, Righstuf is far more than an online retailer. Shawne has created a community with the ability to connect anime producers with fans, and that is golden. I know we all shop at Righstuf in search of good deals (and please keep those coming!), but money spent at Righstuf also keeps this industry healthy as a whole.

And, Funimation gave us a shout out in their update to Escaflowne backers. I reciprocate here and encourage everyone to support Funi's project - they are in the same boat as us, trying to create the best dub possible with fan support.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Let's make this our month of being as daring, gutsy and passionate as Kyoko herself!!!

Ann/Pied Piper, Inc.

Woke up to the Skip Beat kickstarter earlier today.  Glad to see they're off the indiegogo route.  I will admit I don't really know anything about the series other than what's been said on here.  I threw $60 bucks at it for the cause, will definitely upgrade to the $100 tier if the blu-ray goal is looking good.  Of course then that puts me into the dilemma of do I want to shell out more for the chipboard box...dam boxes taunt me so.

Since I have been talking to Ann since the Indiegogo I asked again if we meet the stretch goal will the slipbox be G2 or G1. And if we get the BD's she wants it to be G2, so I'm happy with that. I might go in for the patch later which is a $25 add on.

Since I have been talking to Ann since the Indiegogo I asked again if we meet the stretch goal will the slipbox be G2 or G1. And if we get the BD's she wants it to be G2, so I'm happy with that. I might go in for the patch later which is a $25 add on.
Now you're speaking true nerd-speak. Wth is G1 or G2?? lol

Omg! someone else is as upset as me about blood lad...

Was gonna throw some money at skip beat to help the community, but you're not selling me on it.
You can watch the show for free on Crunchyroll and probably somewhere else. Can see for yourself if you dislike the ending or not, but I immensely enjoyed the show and didn't feel let down at the end other than not having a season 2 to continue the story.

G1 is a DVD-sized case, G2 is Blu-ray-sized. The terms became really popular due to Steelbooks.

Anyone have any insight into whether Viz Media is going to blu-ify or do anything meaningful with it's portfolio of anime? The Death Note redo was a really nice one, but I wonder if they only did that to promote the new Death Note movie? There are a lot of series I want to buy, but don't want to grab like 4 or 5 DVD boxes when it could all be done in one Blu package (with better audio/video hopefully).

rightstuf is running another anime sale only thing of interest I saw was from the new world at $10 per part which is not only supposed to be a good series, but trades in for slightly more than the cost at amazon (not a great flip especially given it's not for sure it will get here in time to keep the trade in price)

some other series that seemed like good prices

Majestic Prince collection 1

Hiiro No Kakera season 1

rightstuf is running another anime sale only thing of interest I saw was from the new world at $10 per part which is not only supposed to be a good series, but trades in for slightly more than the cost at amazon (not a great flip especially given it's not for sure it will get here in time to keep the trade in price)

Hiiro No Kakera season 1
Only anime I'd recommend from that sale is Moribito. It's actually really good. I wish they had made more of that series

Anyone have any insight into whether Viz Media is going to blu-ify or do anything meaningful with it's portfolio of anime? The Death Note redo was a really nice one, but I wonder if they only did that to promote the new Death Note movie? There are a lot of series I want to buy, but don't want to grab like 4 or 5 DVD boxes when it could all be done in one Blu package (with better audio/video hopefully).
It'll be a long while before Bleach and Naruto go on Blu-ray. I don't even think Japan has them on Blu-ray yet.

Viz is in one of their "We don't wanna release any new anime" moods, so the only things on the docket is Naruto Shippuden Set 26.

EDIT: Speaking of Viz, GoHastings has all 4 DVD-only sets of Sailor Moon for $19.99 new.

rightstuf is running another anime sale only thing of interest I saw was from the new world at $10 per part which is not only supposed to be a good series, but trades in for slightly more than the cost at amazon (not a great flip especially given it's not for sure it will get here in time to keep the trade in price)

Hiiro No Kakera season 1
I hated From the New World. Weird, non-sensical junkfest. One thing folks should think about is Kobato. For some odd reason they only have 1 of 2 collections on sale, but buying them together is pretty cheap. Around $23.50 for the whole shebang, which is about 50% savings from their price for the combined set. I liked that one, another CLAMP anime, so expect some random cross-over with Tsubasa or other CLAMP properties.

Pulled the trigger on When They Cry blu ray part 1 and Ranma 1/2 blu ray season 2 from dvdplanet.com with the 10% they got going on right now. Finally i can watch when they cry without the eye gouging price it was commanding.

Pulled the trigger on When They Cry blu ray part 1 and Ranma 1/2 blu ray season 2 from dvdplanet.com with the 10% they got going on right now. Finally i can watch when they cry without the eye gouging price it was commanding.
OMG, I can't believe they did this like four days after I placed my order... Worst of all, I had to pay for expedited shipping since I live in Hawaii.

Edit: OK, I don't feel too bad since the Ranma sets are on back order. No wonder why the customer service rep told me I can't do an exchange right now.

Not sure where to ask this, but do you guys know any good place to buy Vocaloid cds? I'm mainly looking for IA stuff. Amazon does have the option to buy the mp3 version, but those are incomplete. 

My NIS America loot arrived today. Have to say, not super impressed with the packaging of the discs etc for what I paid, but man they shipped it fast.

Not sure where to ask this, but do you guys know any good place to buy Vocaloid cds? I'm mainly looking for IA stuff. Amazon does have the option to buy the mp3 version, but those are incomplete.
From my (albeit limited) experience, CDJapan, Amazon Japan and YesAsia are all reliable places to buy Japanese music CDs from. I've also heard that Otaku.com and Play-Asia are good as well, though I don't have personal experience buying CDs from them.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time The Movie - Collector's Edition - $49.98 - 6/7/2016

Oh this is a rude post. :p I kid, people need to get thicker skin. And I wasn't shaming people. I was stating a fact about the whole situation.

Side note these are up on RS as well. And anyone else think that the Girl CE art is ugly? I mean I figured they would give it more love since this is such a well deserving movie.
If they release all of the other Hosoda works in this edition, I'll rebuy them all.

per Asuras

Funimation June 2016 Solicitations

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time The Movie - $34.98 - 6/7/2016

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time The Movie - Collector's Edition - $49.98 - 6/7/2016

The Boy and the Beast The Movie - BD/DVD Combo + UV - $34.98 - 6/7/2016

Yona of the Dawn Part One - $64.98 - 6/7/2016

PSYCHO-PASS - The Movie - BD/DVD Combo + UV - $34.98 - 6/7/2016

Gonna be the Twin-Tail - The Complete Series - $64.98 - 6/7/2016

Yurikuma Arashi The Complete Series - $64.98 - 6/28/2016

Fairy Tail Part 20 - $54.98 - 6/7/2016

Selector Season Two - $64.98 - 6/28/2016

Shonen Hollywood - Season One DVD Only - $44.98 - 6/7/2016

One Piece Collection 16 DVD - $34.98 - 6/28/2016

Oh this is a rude post. :p I kid, people need to get thicker skin. And I wasn't shaming people. I was stating a fact about the whole situation.

Side note these are up on RS as well. And anyone else think that the Girl CE art is ugly? I mean I figured they would give it more love since this is such a well deserving movie.
I totally Agreed! The art work is TOO Ugly & So DEAD when you look at it. They should do different art work on 3 Discs as well instead cut & paste. Horror & Lazy work for High Price CE version on good movie.

Hiiro No Kakera season 1
Where's $5 and $10 Blu-ray sale? Hope Rightstuf bring back the deal ;)

well they need to finish the Escaflowne kickstarter, give it a few weeks in between and then they can do the code geass kickstarter to prove there is demand to release the series on blu ray :p
If they need to prove there is demand for one of the best anime of all time, then someone over there needs to be beaten. Badly.

All they need to do is just release the UK Blu-ray sets that already exist with a new publisher logo and different region coding. This should be so quick and easy!

Isn't outlaw star getting a BD release or am I dreaming? I watched snippets of it long ago on either toonami or adult swim and would love to watch the whole thing in HD
An Outlaw Star release is long overdue. I vividly remember the first time I saw the awesome promo for it on Toonami. Fantastic show from the '90s--a time when anime had more variety to it, and not every other show centered on high school kids.

Japan has already released Outlaw Star on Blu, so the US release should be inevitable -- at least one would hope. I'm not going to hold my breath, though. Considering how long the Code Geass DVDs have been OOP, it's like Funi is sitting on the Sunrise licenses and trying to push out another iteration of Dragon Ball for home media than the older titles we want.

Looking around Rightstuf shows vol 2 of Madoka Magica as OOP. I'm assuming all volumes are out of print now? I don't know much about how rereleases work for these shows. Any chance of future editions or would this be a buy it before it disappears situation? Seems like a pretty popular show to go out of print.

Looking around Rightstuf shows vol 2 of Madoka Magica as OOP. I'm assuming all volumes are out of print now? I don't know much about how rereleases work for these shows. Any chance of future editions or would this be a buy it before it disappears situation? Seems like a pretty popular show to go out of print.
Well, Aniplex's track record for re-releases is next to nil, especially for an already existing Standard release. So it's probably more of a get 'em now, or don't get 'em at all - who knows, you may be waiting another 10-15 years for a re-release from them... Fortunately I own the three AoA Limited Edition box sets, and I also imported the Japanese movie 1&2 Blu-ray Box and Rebellion, so I'm good on Madoka for the forseeable future.

I'm just hoping with Aniplex slowly pulling back all their licenses that other NA distributors had, that maybe in the future they will become more prone to re-releases through AoA... but of course, those would all be at Aniplex prices, too...

bread's done
Back