Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling anyone out, I just don't want a mod to swing by and see the word "bootlegs" and "fansubs".
Understandable.

The issue gets a lot murkier with a series like Macross. That series has a large fan following in Japan and the U.S. But licensing disputes have prevented it from being localized overseas from Japan for decades. I believe there was a single DVD set release of the original TV series in the U.S. (not counting the Robotech re-purposing, which is part of the whole licensing curfluffle) That particular set, being long-since out of print, is prohibitively expensive in the after-market.

As such, the only real legal solution for foreign fans of the Macross series is to import Japanese copies. But those copies aren't designed with a Western market in mind, so the subtitles are considerably more difficult to understand and parse. Even the versions that have English subtitles have not been "localized," as they were only ever intended for a Japanese audience.

Situations like this make people look more favorably on fan-subbing efforts. Under such circumstances fan-subbers appear less like media thieves and more like people providing a valuable service to beleaguered fans with little to no alternatives.

Of course, studios in question could easily change the situation by actually releasing the show over here...

Just saying... that's a viable strategy, and I don't think anyone would object to it.

Hint, hint. We would all be thrilled if you guys sorted this licensing crap out and just gave us a decent version of these shows to spend money on. Rightstuf and Bandai/Sunrise are managing to pull it off with most of the older, unreleased Gundam series. Maybe knock on their door and ask for some pointers on how they did it.

MoonPhase is moe trash. It had potential for a great story, but was too concerned on making it's main character cute.
you know I typically dislike Moe stuff, but moonphase I kind of enjoyed.

there is plenty of nice art in it (I mean it is a Shaft show), and it gets dark at times.

I won't disagree there are plenty of dumb moe moments though, but I give it a pass because it came out years before the moe craze.

and I mean just watch the first 2 minutes of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ldZipnME8

and tell me if you can name another show with such a drastic mood change in the first 2 minutes lulz.

but in general it's a cute series, with an okay story, and a opening that will haunt you for years (which changes every time in a certain spot)

you know I typically dislike Moe stuff, but moonphase I kind of enjoyed.

there is plenty of nice art in it (I mean it is a Shaft show), and it gets dark at times.

I won't disagree there are plenty of dumb moe moments though, but I give it a pass because it came out years before the moe craze.

and I mean just watch the first 2 minutes of this

and tell me if you can name another show with such a drastic mood change in the first 2 minutes lulz.

but in general it's a cute series, with an okay story, and a opening that will haunt you for years (which changes every time in a certain spot)
Oh dear god. Someone was doing shrooms when they came up with that opening. I mean really WTF is that lol! DNukem, that turtle thing blew my mind too. Really most of it was retarded. I'm starting to think $5 for shipping may not be a bad idea vs putting garbage on my shelf.

Edit: Ok I forgot I had a $5 off coupon from the DB Movie Bundle shipping/backorder debacle. Went and got Trinity Blood since I remember that while dysfunctional it had some interesting moments. Avoiding the $5 shipping means I paid $10 for it. I don't mind that.

Japan could actually fight for the return of the Macross thing and win. But they are simply too lazy and won't bother to take it to court.

Ugh, MoonPhase. I watched the whole series when it was on Netflix and I still can't explain why. It's not a particularly good show, but there's something about it that makes you keep watching until the very end.

I always tried to skip that opening song though...you hear it once and it's stuck in your mind for days on end. Never want to hear the words "Neko Mini Mode" ever again. 

Ugh, MoonPhase. I watched the whole series when it was on Netflix and I still can't explain why. It's not a particularly good show, but there's something about it that makes you keep watching until the very end.

I always tried to skip that opening song though...you hear it once and it's stuck in your mind for days on end. Never want to hear the words "Neko Mini Mode" ever again.
it's actually neko mimi mode.

neko = cat

mimi = ear

mode = mode

thus why she is almost always wearing cat ears because she is in cat ear mode :p

Gonna have to watch this show asap.

Has anyone used RAC's trade-in program? If so, how did it go? Thinking about using it to dump this big box of anime DVD volumes that I can't get rid of. $2 a pop seems like a great deal.

Best Buy deal of the day has Dragon Ball Z 1-9 Blu-Ray for $148. Is that a good deal or have it been cheaper before?
About $19.80 per season. Not the best deal but not too bad either.

Sentai clearance titles are back!

Back with more new titles added to the list.

Still some stuff from the previous clearances, but I guess that's to be expected.

Nice price on Familiar of Zero S1 BR. I think S1 works well as a standalone series if you don't want to invest in the rest of the show.

If they had both collections of Ghost Hound, then I would say to pick that one up. Really interesting series.

This sentai sale is practically the same as last time. Why would they do it again. nothing worthwhile imo
I don't see any overlap from the previous sale, unless you count F/sn blu-ray this time vs F/sn dvd last time.

I'm going to see if I can get my girl who leapt through time/boy and the beast order modified to add some of these instead of the $10 blind box.

I'm gonna endorse Colorful; that thing is absolutely hilarious.

The original premise - a bunch of random guys trying to see panties all the time, often with disastrous results - would be nice at first but get old quickly. BUT, the dub keeps things fresh with ridiculous ad-libs and jokes that weren't in the original. It's absolutely worth $5.

End up picked up 5 Blu-ray set for $50  "Good sale"

Amnesia

Casshan

Fantasista Doll

Gingitsune

Night Raid 1931
Kinda sad i already owed both  Fate/stay night collection 1 & 2 :(

I was wondering if Captain Earth was any good?  I was tempted to pick that up, but I try to only pick up blu-rays at this point.  I did pick up the Fate/stay night collection.  Where's the best place to start in that series?

Every new show is its own continuity. Aside from the base set of characters (and Fate/Zero being a prequel to all of them) the stories are all different.

Any opinions on this? I've never heard of this one.
If you like fun/cool anime about fighting ghosts that slowly at first then quickly devolve into a tournament anime, while still being mostly enjoyable, it's the show for you

Does anyone have any info on this new Berserk Golden Age Movie Collection Blu Ray release: http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Golden-Movie-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B01F8DJCDO?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_g74_i1_r

I found a few old reddit threads comparing screens between the old and the blu, with the blu ray version looking much better. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard/read anything. I absolutely love the manga and depending on the quality of this release, might grab it.

Any opinions on this? I've never heard of this one.
O_O.

you must be young. it was a staple of toonami.

anyways. if you have ever heard of a series called hunter x hunter, yu yu hakusho is the series the creator did before HxH.

but yeah as long as you don't mind shonen you should love yu yu. the dub is pretty good as well (and has some great one liners such as "ooh look a basement" randomly in there from time to time :p)

The creator's also married to the creator of Sailor Moon, not that it's really relevant.

But it was a popular shounen show. Not quite Bleach, Naruto, or Dragon Ball, but still up there.

I was wondering if Captain Earth was any good? I was tempted to pick that up, but I try to only pick up blu-rays at this point. I did pick up the Fate/stay night collection. Where's the best place to start in that series?
Captain Earth is good, I enjoyed it. I think it was made by the same people who created Star Driver (though someone here more knowledgeable than I will correct me if I'm wrong). I'm also a blu-ray snob and I passed on the DVD to wait for the BD to get cheap.

For F/S, try to watch Zero before Night since it's the prequel. Though I guess it may ruin one of the surprises in Night since you'll know from the prequel. Of course, the prequel will get spoiled more by watching Night first I think. So yeah, start with F/S Zero if you can.

For F/S, try to watch Zero before Night since it's the prequel. Though I guess it may ruin one of the surprises in Night since you'll know from the prequel. Of course, the prequel will get spoiled more by watching Night first I think. So yeah, start with F/S Zero if you can.
it's a damned if you do either way really :p

you get told the results of zero in night, and in zero most of the main secrets for night are covered lol.

I personally would watch night first, but that is mostly because A. it came first, and B. zero is in general considered better and I like to start with the lesser show first.

much easier to watch a decent show with flaws and then a good one than a good one followed by a decent one with flaws :p

I was wondering if Captain Earth was any good? I was tempted to pick that up, but I try to only pick up blu-rays at this point. I did pick up the Fate/stay night collection. Where's the best place to start in that series?
Captain Earth is terrible. It was almost universally loathed when it aired. Quite possibly the worst thing Studio Bones and Enokido have ever made.

Out of curiosity what the legal situation on torrenting macross since it cant be purchased here in the states. On top of that all the Japanese imports i have seen are Japanese only audio and subtitles not to mention $400.

What YYH has going for it is that it stopped before it got really bad, unlike most other long shounen. Towards the end, it got iffy, but it was like 1/10 of the show.

bread's done
Back