Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually...yes.

I emailed them to say "yo, not cool that my order was canceled for availability but yet they're available' and they wrote back saying 'the deal ended so that's why we canceled it'

The deal was listed on your website the entire time I was putting together my order... I'm calling false advertising and going off to sulk.
They told me the promotion end..... so dumb, got most my stuff at least

It sucks they decided to go with the Animax Dub/or whatever Eastern Company did it. Rather have an Ocean Group Dub or something similar.

But regardless, the Build Fighters dub is by far the worst English dub the franchise has ever had (and I'm including Doozy Bots), so it's a wash.
Yeah, that dub was pretty bad. It didn't help that Gundam Build Fighters was a lackluster show to begin with. I know the Gundam franchise was always trying to sell Gunpla, but never did it feel like an outright toy commercial as much as Build Fighters. Never mind that the premise was basically Yugioh with mobile suits.

Reconguista in G wasn't great either, but still found it more imaginative and interesting than Build Fighters. I haven't seen Iron Blooded Orphans yet, but I'm really hoping it's better than the last few Gundam shows.

Build Fighters made no qualms about it being a Merchandise Driven show. Which is why the writers never took things seriously (except for the 2nd quarter of Try) and at times made it a parody of merchandising driven shows. The awesome animation, characters, designs, and music helped.

Build Fighters is probably my #3 favorite Gundam show and I can't wait for the Try OAV next month.

After AGE and Reconguista G, I was glad Build Fighters came along. Just a fun show.

I prefer we get the Build Fighters OVA first. But it looks like we'll get it next year.

Gundam Build Fighters is the most popular of all the recent gundam series. Reconguista got alot of mixed reactions in japan an so did blood orphans. Build fighters season 1 was such a good series and very refreshing new take on the series that people wanted a season 2 very badly. I mean what's not to like seeing your gunpla you own or want to own, on tv battling it out like pokemon? Build fighters try wasn't so great in the beginning but it got better as it went along.

Any idea when we will see Gundam wing or 8th ms team or either of the 00 releases ? Also anyone hear if we might be getting a outlaw star blu ray release someday ? I am sitting on a old DVD set hoping to upgrade it someday. Just wish a lot of the old stuff I enjoyed was easier to get and not all out of print.

Other Gundam stuff will come eventually. Given how Nozomi has literally given us half the franchise this year alone, I expect everything to be released by the end of next year.

As for Outlaw Star, no news on that. It was picked up, but that was long ago.

Another question is rightstufs deal club worth paying for ? or am i better off waiting for sales on what i want to buy and get it then ? I am tempted to buy some anime after amazon screwed me over yesterday i canceled my orders with them.

The break-even point on RS's Got Anime membership is $150 worth of regular price / studio sale / non clearance merchandise.  If you think you'll spend more than that, then it's worth getting.

Other Gundam stuff will come eventually. Given how Nozomi has literally given us half the franchise this year alone, I expect everything to be released by the end of next year.
I won't say that it will all be out that soon. It is Gundam after all, and there is A LOT of it. But yes, patience would definitely be the best policy here. Nozomi has been really good about bringing these series out. They've even been getting us several previously unreleased installments. It has been a very good year for Gundam fans, and if the current trend continues, I would expect to see more next year.

I would really love to see a Nozomi-headed release of Gundam Unicorn. The import Blu-Rays were prohibitively expensive, and I never finished picking them all up. The graphical fidelity and animation quality in that series warrant a high-definition display. But yes, I too would love to see a Blu-Ray release of Gundam Wing, Gundam 08th MS Team, and even G-Gundam. Here's hoping.

Well, here's what Nozomi has released or will release since picking up the license, most of which is this year:

- Mobile Suit Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Movie Trilogy
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation
- Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Afterglow of Zeon
- Mobile Suit Gundam F91
- Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
- After War Gundam X
- Gundam Evolve
- Turn A Gundam
- Turn A Gundam: The Movies
- Reconguista in G
- Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
- Gundam Build Fighters
- Gundam Build Fighters Try

And I'm gonna go ahead and throw in Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 1, Gundam: The Origin, and Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt, even if the last two are technically not Nozomi.

Here's what hasn't been announced in any way, shape, or form just yet:

- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Movie Trilogy
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Movie Quadrilogy
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E.73: Stargazer
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00: A Wakening of a Trailblazer
- G-Savior
- SD Gundam Force
- SD Gundam
- Brave Battle Warriors
- MS IGLOO
- Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
- Mobile Suit Gundam-san
- Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G

Since we're getting the OYW sidestories early next year, of the major Gundam series left (Wing, G, SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, and AGE), I'm betting we'll see at least four of them released by next year's end.

I would prefer to get more of this Gundam content in juicy, high-definition Blu-Rays. But I content myself with the DVD releases when they are for series that have never before been localized. (such as Gundam X, or Turn-A) I might have to go ahead and pull the trigger on the original Gundam movie trilogy, as well. I've heard it's actually pretty good, despite being a re-cap of the events of the series.

As someone with a background in graphic design, I also sincerely appreciate Nozomi's efforts on the packaging, disc menus, etc... While they aren't trying to win any awards, they are also not messing up in that department. The general quality of all of that work on their Gundam releases has been quite high. For a collector like me, it is appreciated.

Most of those Gundam titles I am not familiar with. What are some of the better ones? I have seen original mobile suit and chars along with war in the pocket and 0083 stardust.

Well, Zeta and Double Zeta (Gundam Z and Gundam ZZ) are direct sequels to the original mobile suit series and even have some recurring characters. Zeta is the better of the two, and is worth seeing. Double Zeta isn't bad, but just doesn't quite live up to its two predecessors. You can give it a pass if you don't have the time. If you want the complete history of the Universal Century, go ahead and give it a try.

I'm a very big fan of Gundam 08th MS team. It is a smaller-scale side-story of the initial Universal Century conflict set on Earth. It is primarily set in a jungle environment, and kind of feels like Gundams in a guerrilla war. (kind of like the US-Vietnam war) By taking a more narrow view of the conflict, and keep the locale isolated to a smaller area, they are able to focus more on individual characters in their small ensemble cast.

For the more modern non-Universal Century series, one of my favorites is Gundam 00. It had some neat science fiction conceits that it was willing to incorporate into the story, as well as some fairly appealing characters. They also managed to avoid some of the character interaction clichés that many of the other Gundam series fall into.

Gundam Wing is a popular choice, mainly as it served as an initial introduction for many to the series. It was one of the first series to get wide distribution in the U.S. thanks to its run on Cartoon Network. In hindsight, I don't feel it is as strong as many of the series I have seen since, but it is still a solid entry.

The Gundam SEED series are decent as well. But be warned, they lean heavily into cliché. While they sport a good art style and higher production values than some of the other entries, they are also awash in TEEN ANGST. That capitalization is not a mistake. You could easily rename "Gundam SEED" as "Gundam TEEN ANGST." This does not spoil the series, which has plenty of other reasons to recommend it. I especially enjoyed the colorful and varied mecha designs in Gundam SEED. It just helps to be prepared going in for all of the angst, from all of the numerous teenage characters.

G Gundam can be polarizing. It's a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it series. Personally, I rather like it. Part of this stems from the fact that it is FAR more ridiculous than most other Gundam series. Most Gundam series revolve around war. They tend to be about military conflict, and how those conflicts affect people. G Gundam is a silly, crazy series about a bizarre fighting tournament. It helps going in if you are expecting something a little less serious. If you are prepared to ride with G Gundam's craziness, it can actually be fun ride. Also, it sports some of the most ridiculous national stereotypes I've seen in an anime. It might be worth watching just to chuckle at some of the stereotypical characters, and they Gundams they pilot.

Which Gundam has burning finger? DNuken when you mention Unicorn being released, is it the OVAs or the recent series? I only care about the series personally. I'm keen on MSG 00 coming out on blu-ray here. That was my first introduction to Gundam (which is funny considering most is within the UC) and I loved it. That, Iron Blooded Orphans and the Unicorn series are on my future blu-ray buy list.

As someone with a background in graphic design, I also sincerely appreciate Nozomi's efforts on the packaging, disc menus, etc...
This is actually a pretty big deal for me. I hate when companies don't put any effort into the packaging or disc menus, and Nozomi has really been doing a commendable job thus far.

For the more modern non-Universal Century series, one of my favorites is Gundam 00. It had some neat science fiction conceits that it was willing to incorporate into the story, as well as some fairly appealing characters. They also managed to avoid some of the character interaction clichés that many of the other Gundam series fall into.
I've been re-watching Gundam 00. The first time I watched it a few years ago I really liked it. But now, seeing a second time, I'm loving it. In truth, there's no Gundam series that I flat-out hate. Though Gundam Seed was difficult to get through.

This is actually a pretty big deal for me. I hate when companies don't put any effort into the packaging or disc menus, and Nozomi has really been doing a commendable job thus far.

I've been re-watching Gundam 00. The first time I watched it a few years ago I really liked it. But now, seeing a second time, I'm loving it. In truth, there's no Gundam series that I flat-out hate. Though Gundam Seed was difficult to get through.
The gold-standard for high-quality production packages was always Pioneer. They went above and beyond on their design and extras. One of my most prized anime releases was the steel-book special edition of Akira. That was Pioneer, and they clearly put a ton of effort into that release. I've always felt it was a shame that they got out of the anime localization business.

But yes, Nozomi is one of the more solid players in that regard. One of the all-time worst was Funimation in the early days. I still have some of their earlier DragonBall Z DVD releases, but I don't keep them on any shelf. They look terrible, and reek of laziness. Funimation thankfully stepped up their game in that regard, and most of their modern releases are at least acceptable, if not exceptional. But man, those early days. (shudder)

For Gundam SEED, it's just all the angst. It has its place, but in SEED they apply it with a firehose.

Well, Zeta and Double Zeta (Gundam Z and Gundam ZZ) are direct sequels to the original mobile suit series and even have some recurring characters. Zeta is the better of the two, and is worth seeing. Double Zeta isn't bad, but just doesn't quite live up to its two predecessors. You can give it a pass if you don't have the time. If you want the complete history of the Universal Century, go ahead and give it a try.

I'm a very big fan of Gundam 08th MS team. It is a smaller-scale side-story of the initial Universal Century conflict set on Earth. It is primarily set in a jungle environment, and kind of feels like Gundams in a guerrilla war. (kind of like the US-Vietnam war) By taking a more narrow view of the conflict, and keep the locale isolated to a smaller area, they are able to focus more on individual characters in their small ensemble cast.

Gundam Wing is a popular choice, mainly as it served as an initial introduction for many to the series. It was one of the first series to get wide distribution in the U.S. thanks to its run on Cartoon Network. In hindsight, I don't feel it is as strong as many of the series I have seen since, but it is still a solid entry.

The Gundam SEED series are decent as well. But be warned, they lean heavily into cliché. While they sport a good art style and higher production values than some of the other entries, they are also awash in TEEN ANGST. That capitalization is not a mistake. You could easily rename "Gundam SEED" as "Gundam TEEN ANGST." This does not spoil the series, which has plenty of other reasons to recommend it. I especially enjoyed the colorful and varied mecha designs in Gundam SEED. It just helps to be prepared going in for all of the angst, from all of the numerous teenage characters.

G Gundam can be polarizing. It's a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it series. Personally, I rather like it. Part of this stems from the fact that it is FAR more ridiculous than most other Gundam series. Most Gundam series revolve around war. They tend to be about military conflict, and how those conflicts affect people. G Gundam is a silly, crazy series about a bizarre fighting tournament. It helps going in if you are expecting something a little less serious. If you are prepared to ride with G Gundam's craziness, it can actually be fun ride. Also, it sports some of the most ridiculous national stereotypes I've seen in an anime. It might be worth watching just to chuckle at some of the stereotypical characters, and they Gundams they pilot.
8th ms and Gundam wing are prob my 2 favorites I was just referring to the ones the have been released on blu ray recently like f91 and victory for example.

8th ms and Gundam wing are prob my 2 favorites I was just referring to the ones the have been released on blu ray recently like f91 and victory for example.
Has F91 been announced for Blu-Ray release? I'm not seeing it for sale anywhere. I know that Victory is on the docket for release coming up.

F91 was announced at the same time as Victory and 0083. I forget if Blu-rays are included, but they're not up for pre-order because no date has been announced.

DNuken when you mention Unicorn being released, is it the OVAs or the recent series? I only care about the series personally.
The OVAs. The series has the Re: 0096 subtitle.

So far, though, the series hasn't changed or added anything from the OAVs.

As for recommendations from stuff already released....it's all actually good. The original, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, and Unicorn are all in one continuity. Gundam X is an alternate future from UC while Turn A connects all 20th Century Gundams together. But both Turn A and X are more or less standalone.

The only outright bad Gundam series are SEED Destiny and AGE, with G-Reco being meh. I believe you can still find both SEED and Destiny on GundamInfo's YouTube Channel.

Do note that if you want dubs, of the series already released only the original series, Zeta (and only the series for those two, the movies have no dub), CCA, and Unicorn have dubs. Build Fighters technically has a dub, but it's trash.

Also, I forgot to include G-Savior on the Unlicensed list.

Also, I forgot to include G-Savior on the Unlicensed list.
I wouldn't bother watching that one. I picked the dvd up from a garage sale and it was bad. The dated special effects and sets reminded me a bit of Babylon 5. The special effects of the early seasons have not aged well. G-Savior has that dated look. The story was pretty bad too.

I'm glad they're releasing so much of the gundam series on blu-ray. I'm trying to upgrade all my sets to blu-ray and pick up the ones I hadn't seen. I'm just trying to decide which of my dvd collections I should sell before I upgrade. I'll probably sell Gundam Wing and 00. Those series I have the individual volumes.

I wouldn't bother watching that one. I picked the dvd up from a garage sale and it was bad. The dated special effects and sets reminded me a bit of Babylon 5. The special effects of the early seasons have not aged well. G-Savior has that dated look. The story was pretty bad too.

I'm glad they're releasing so much of the gundam series on blu-ray. I'm trying to upgrade all my sets to blu-ray and pick up the ones I hadn't seen. I'm just trying to decide which of my dvd collections I should sell before I upgrade. I'll probably sell Gundam Wing and 00. Those series I have the individual volumes.
Except Babylon 5 is awesome ;)

I'll admit that G-Savior is MST3K fodder at its best, but one thing the film gets right is the sheer scale of the colonies. Very few Gundam series actually show just how massive these colonies would have to be, but G-Savior does that well.

Except Babylon 5 is awesome ;)
Yea, it is. I have the whole series, minus the movies. I was just comparing the special effects and look of the sets of the first season to G-Savior.

I have to admit watching G-Savior on MST3K would be amusing. Are those guys still around?

Looks like RS running another sale where the majority of the titles are already out of print/stock, lol.

Hopefully this doesn't become a pattern.

That being said, if people were interested in some RS titles, the pre-orders might be a pretty good use of the code.

Gundam titles for example for those who are waiting to pick those up.  Not much of a discount, but better than nothing.

Yea, it's doubtful the Gundam titles will  be significantly cheaper anywhere else. Already had everything else pre-ordered, so I picked up Victory and G-Reco.

Awwwww yisssss, my manga orders from B&N are here:

zRelfXC.jpg
NRbcooq.jpg
OctIZrN.jpg

Gundam titles for example for those who are waiting to pick those up. Not much of a discount, but better than nothing.
Hmm thanks for your post. Could get the entirety of Zeta for merely 44 bucks.

I would probably pull the trigger on nadesco or utena if I wasn't 100% sure those are getting blu-ray releases soon.

Really hoping we get a re-release of Gundam 00: A Wakening of a Trailblazer sometime next year. I kept passing it up on Amazon, back when it was $25 on bluray. Then it went out of print and now it's going for insane prices, as expected. Heard the movie wasn't very good but, just to complete my 00 collection, I'd still like to own a copy.

I forgot all about G-Savior. The local Best Buy had a single copy of that in stock for years and it just sat on the shelf. I wonder if anyone ever bought it, or if they shipped it somewhere else. I recall reading that there were some Japanese G-Savior audio dramas that fleshed out the story more. Shame they weren't included on the DVD. 

Really hoping we get a re-release of Gundam 00: A Wakening of a Trailblazer sometime next year. I kept passing it up on Amazon, back when it was $25 on bluray. Then it went out of print and now it's going for insane prices, as expected. Heard the movie wasn't very good but, just to complete my 00 collection, I'd still like to own a copy.

I forgot all about G-Savior. The local Best Buy had a single copy of that in stock for years and it just sat on the shelf. I wonder if anyone ever bought it, or if they shipped it somewhere else. I recall reading that there were some Japanese G-Savior audio dramas that fleshed out the story more. Shame they weren't included on the DVD.
The movie is ok....it's a bit on the non-sensical side, even for Gundam. It does kind of tie up the whole Innovator plot gimmick though. The end made me lol quite a bit....really that whole relationship. wtf.

Code Geass preorders are supposed to go live today. Anyone have any idea from previous experiences when Funimation will open the listings?

Looks like us Kickstarter backers got screwed by FUNi in regards to Escaflowne. The CE is $134.99 and contains pretty much everything the KS backers are getting minus the cards and some kind of fancier packaging. I don't know if $15 justifies those extras, but knowing the price also makes me assume that it will be even lower on RS when they put it up for sale. Never again, FUNi... Never again.

bread's done
Back