Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
not really. care to elaborate?
He once took orders on product at a lower price than everyone, cancelled the orders. Then he called out the purchasers as people who tried to take advantage of him.

Bottom line is that he is a dick whose website is stuck in the 90s, but despite shady business practices, he does well enough to stay in business.

I know that I'm going to take some crap for this, but as a business owner, he is allowed to charge whatever he wants. Then again, I am "evil ebay flipper".
He is a distributor, he is not supposed to be doing that lol. Publishers really frown on that, which is why he always uses that BS "it is from muh personal collection" excuse. Is he really that lazy not to just make a new user id for himself? lol

Fair enough. I read the earlier comments as "he's not allowed to do that" type of fanboy butthurt.
Lol why would you do that? Robert is the worst. We've had many issues with him in the past. I just love how he lurks here and blasts us in passive aggressive ways in his newsletters.

I've never shopped at RACS, are there any benefits to their store compared to Rightstuf?  

It always seems like their prices are much higher, but they've been around a long time, so they must get a fair amount of business.

I've never shopped at RACS, are there any benefits to their store compared to Rightstuf?

It always seems like their prices are much higher, but they've been around a long time, so they must get a fair amount of business.
The one time there was a chance for a deal was the canceled order debacle mentioned above.

Go figure, right? :p

They are really only useful to grab something that has gone OOP. But you have to do it quick and 9/10 they will cancel it and list it again for double the price.

It had less to do with cancelled orders and more to do with him trying to charge more than the purchase price, didn't it?
He canceled the orders and gave the excuse that people were unfairly taking advantage of the "special" pre-order pricing, and it was because of the people on the forum that he had to do what he did in cancelling those orders.

He then proceeded to justify his actions by saying that it was unfair to his regulars they wouldn't be able to get a copy because of all those "forum" people.

So then he relists it at the higher price, as a sign of solidarity, and charging more for the sets to his loyal customers so they can get a copy.

I mean, the guy is just a douchebag, period. Whether it's cancelled orders, whether it's trying to charge more than the regular price, he's just a complete an utter asshat, and that's really the point in the end. ;D

Apparently rightstuf just lowered the price on the Code Geass collectors edition without bothering to modify the cost of my pre-order. Members can now get it for 88 instead of 98.

RightStuf has a new Blind Box: One based entirely around Yu-Gi-Oh.

I guess they needed to clear out all those figures and trinkets from the early 2000's somehow.

Apparently rightstuf just lowered the price on the Code Geass collectors edition without bothering to modify the cost of my pre-order. Members can now get it for 88 instead of 98.
Rightstuf has never automatically adjusted prices on pre-orders if they go lower, at least not in the four years I've been dealing with them - you always have to contact them to get any price adjustments made. Sometimes they'll simply do a price adjustment on your existing order, and sometimes they tell you they have to cancel your order and create a new order for the price change - which then places your new order at the end of the shipping queue... Seems to change every time I do it, or maybe depends on which CSR you get on the phone. I just called in to RS on Thursday to get the lower prices on Death Parade LE and Code Geass CE, and they made the price adjustments on my existing orders this time around... I did save myself $15 for the effort.

It's only the Collector's Edition of Escaflowne that is sold out everywhere, you can still by the Standard releases with slipcovers for Parts 1 & 2 anywhere - you don't have to wait years for a Classics or S.A.V.E. edition... 

Rightstuf has never automatically adjusted prices on pre-orders if they go lower, at least not in the four years I've been dealing with them - you always have to contact them to get any price adjustments made. Sometimes they'll simply do a price adjustment on your existing order, and sometimes they tell you they have to cancel your order and create a new order for the price change - which then places your new order at the end of the shipping queue... Seems to change every time I do it, or maybe depends on which CSR you get on the phone. I just called in to RS on Thursday to get the lower prices on Death Parade LE and Code Geass CE, and they made the price adjustments on my existing orders this time around... I did save myself $15 for the effort.
Ya, I didnt think they did. This seems to be an unwise strategy on their part. Sure, they make a couple extra bucks from non-cag customers. However, they discourage people from preordering and lose some goodwill when people find out. Not an even tradeoff in my mind, especially when competitors (i.e. Amazon) do it automatically.

Sold...I'll pre-order at sub-100. I'm sure it will go lower over time, but for <$2 / episode for my favorite anime of all time, no brainer.

Ya, I didnt think they did. This seems to be an unwise strategy on their part. Sure, they make a couple extra bucks from non-cag customers. However, they discourage people from preordering and lose some goodwill when people find out. Not an even tradeoff in my mind, especially when competitors (i.e. Amazon) do it automatically.
Rightstuf is a tiny company compared to Amazon - they don't even have the ability to get all the major website issues from their last upgrade fixed in over a year's time, let alone introduce another automation project like that to their system. At least they're way better than RACS - RACS doesn't even have a User Account or Order History capability on their site - if you don't keep your receipts and/or emails, you have no way of knowing what or when anything was ever purchased from them, or what you paid for it. And, they don't raise up their prices like scalpers on remaining inventory when product goes OOP... :roll:

Rightstuf is a tiny company compared to Amazon - they don't even have the ability to get all the major website issues from their last upgrade fixed in over a year's time, let alone introduce another huge automation project like that to their system. At least they're way better than RACS - RACS doesn't even have a User Account or Order History capability on their site - if you don't keep your receipts and/or emails, you have no way of knowing what or when anything was ever purchased from them, or what you paid for it.
I'm well aware. Everything has a cost including "major" automation systems. Righstuf has clearly done a cost/benefit analysis and decided against it. I'm just arguing that may have been a poor choice.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I found the vision of escaflowne ce at 134 still at the animecornerstore
Don't worry, he would have charged $180 no matter what his site said.

He once took orders on product at a lower price than everyone, cancelled the orders. Then he called out the purchasers as people who tried to take advantage of him.

Bottom line is that he is a dick whose website is stuck in the 90s, but despite shady business practices, he does well enough to stay in business.
No. He didn't just cancel orders. He charged people more than what his shop and emails said it would, without any notice. I gladly reported him to Visa for being the only person I've encountered to ever do that.

Don't worry, he would have charged $180 no matter what his site said.

No. He didn't just cancel orders. He charged people more than what his shop and emails said it would, without any notice. I gladly reported him to Visa for being the only person I've encountered to ever do that.
Bingo, there's the sort of thing I was looking for, instead of all the vague "he's a douche" stuff. Which is so obviously half of people just bandwagoning.

Is escaflowne that good? I've never seen it before.
Escaflowne is one of the best fantasy series ever.

It's written by Shoji Kawamori, who created Macross (and is involved in every series aside from Macross II), Aquarion, AKB0048, and Nobunaga the Fool, and is a brilliant mecha designer (who did this series, Macross, Patlabor, Gundam 0083, Aquarion, the Armored Core series, Eureka Seven, Space Battleship Yamato, and Outlaw Star).

Oh, and the soundtrack is composed by the Goddess of Music, Yoko Kanno and the theme song was the debut performance of frequent collaborator and amazing singer herself Maaya Sakamoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KoL7__Bmyg

And, as I said before, the soundtrack is amazing. Still one of Kanno-sama's best to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

If the Escaflowne CE actually included a soundtrack, I'd pre-order it at MSRP.

Fox Kids even bought the airing rights to this series just so Cartoon Network couldn't air it on Toonami.

Oh, and the soundtrack is composed by the Goddess of Music, Yoko Kanno and the theme song was the debut performance of frequent collaborator and amazing singer herself Maaya Sakamoto.

And, as I said before, the soundtrack is amazing. Still one of Kanno-sama's best to this day.

If the Escaflowne CE actually included a soundtrack, I'd pre-order it at MSRP.
A copy of the Japanese "The Vision of Escaflowne: Lover's Only" soundtrack CD was included at the $200 pledge level for the Escaflowne Kickstarter CE. Also, the UK Collector's Edition comes with 3 Soundtrack CDs, but then of course you need a Region B capable Blu-ray player to view the series and movie discs. I'm actually getting both the Funimation Kickstarter CE and the UK CE sets, so I'll have quite a few soundtracks to listen to...

It was for the first Love Live PE right? I remember ordering that and waking up to that surprise overcharge. He was even an asshat in the cancellation email.

Just an FYI, Amazon finally dropped both seasons of Code Geass to $49.99 each, if anyone was interested at grabbing them at this price. I'm still waiting for it to get cheaper (I hope).

On an unrelated note, I know that the FMA: Brotherhood blus are out of print since Funi doesn't have the license anymore, but holy cow! Those prices shot up insanely high these days! Glad I have my copies. 

Just an FYI, Amazon finally dropped both seasons of Code Geass to $49.99 each, if anyone was interested at grabbing them at this price. I'm still waiting for it to get cheaper (I hope).
If you're picking up Code Geass on release, Rightstuf has the Collector's Edition Set for $97.99/$88.19. I had them adjust my pre-order to the FUNimation sale price yesterday.

It was for the first Love Live PE right? I remember ordering that and waking up to that surprise overcharge. He was even an asshat in the cancellation email.
No, it was for Tora Dora. But not surprised he did it on Love Live also. His last copy from his personal collection. Then he somehow has like 2 boxes full.

You know, Right Stuf, I was already disappointed that the Funi sale didn't include any new releases or preorders.  You could have at least made it so that the first 6 pages weren't filled with nothing but excluded items.

Yeah, initially it was the new Toradora Complete Series PE that he sent out his state of the union address about being taken advantage of, and then he did that with Love Live too, but with Love Live, he delisted the stock on his own site, and then he put a bunch of them up on the Amazon storefront for a ridiculous amount, while claiming buying from the website directly was "Out of stock".

bread's done
Back