Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I won't be buying code geass until they fix the audio. Funimation has been getting reckless
I just won't be buying Funimation products much if at all, because of their incompetence with almost ever release they put out. Crooked or offset chipboard boxes, bad discs, subpar video quality full of banding and blocking artifacts from jamming too many episodes on a disc, and total ignorance of proper packing for shipping their products without damage - not to mention big cutbacks on titles that get LE releases... I'm tired of all their crap.

I've switched over to buying UK releases for many of those titles; at least Anime Limited is starting to put out some really nice chipboard box sets with digipaks over there. At least 90% of my anime purchases are now JP imports, UK imports, and Aniplex of America releases - from checking my spreadsheets, over the past six months I've purchased 62 anime titles, and only 3 were domestic Funimation releases. They have already lost the majority of my business.

This December, I plan on buying either the Gurren Lagann blu-ray volumes or one of the two Fate Stay/Night UBW sets. My question to you guys is, which do you think run a higher chance of becoming OOP first? I would hate for any of them to go OOP before I get a chance to buy them at retail price. I'm asking because when I first began collecting, I put off buying the Fate Zero sets and they ended going OOP. For a long time they were more than double the retail price. I feel pretty fortunate that I could get the Fate Zero reprints this past October but I'm not sure about these sets. Gurren Lagann already got a complete series collector's release so I'm leaning towards getting the volumes first but I'd like to here your opinions. Thanks. O:)
When something from Aniplex goes out of print, it is more expensive than an out of print Funimation product. It was a miracle that Fate/Zero got a reprint.

Turn A already has a pretty high picture quality and comes in a clear case.
Screw upgrading, I'll just buy the Blu-Ray sets, and keep the original DVDs. The packaging on those original Turn-A sets was high enough quality that I don't mind hanging onto them, as well as grabbing the Blu-Rays for higher-resolution visuals.

When something from Aniplex goes out of print, it is more expensive than an out of print Funimation product. It was a miracle that Fate/Zero got a reprint.
Yeah that's why I'd like to buy those Aniplex releases before they become OOP but it wouldn't be responsible of me to spend a whole $610 on anime in one month. I need to space out the purchases to fit my free-spending budget. My wallet is already hurting on account of the Fate/ Zero, Code geass, Escaflowne, and Haruhi collector's sets that just came out.

The price for the set is crazy but I've seen it go for somewhat cheap on eBay for half of what it's worth with slightly damaged boxes and even the casing missing. If you're not OCD like a bunch of us collectors then it's OK. I personally intend to scour Japan when I go next year in hopes of finding it for a decent price (decent being around $350). There are also sellers on Yahoo and Amazon JP if you're willing to go through a site with services that'll bid for you.

Stupid question, did Ladies vs butlers go out of print? I ordered it from Amazon when they had it on sale for $20 a few months ago and they are still waiting for stock.

Yes, I know it's a terrible show. I like Crap.

The price for the set is crazy but I've seen it go for somewhat cheap on eBay for half of what it's worth with slightly damaged boxes and even the casing missing. If you're not OCD like a bunch of us collectors then it's OK. I personally intend to scour Japan when I go next year in hopes of finding it for a decent price (decent being around $350). There are also sellers on Yahoo and Amazon JP if you're willing to go through a site with services that'll bid for you.
I think the set sold for like $550. I wouldn't pay half that for damaged boxes, I think the only reason someone would get this would be to have a mint copy to show off. So I wouldn't buy the individual releases for 50 bucks a pop either without a box or something. But maybe that's just me. Lord knows I've spent a fortune on anime in tape, DVD, and blu-ray formats.

Yeah that's why I'd like to buy those Aniplex releases before they become OOP but it wouldn't be responsible of me to spend a whole $610 on anime in one month. I need to space out the purchases to fit my free-spending budget. My wallet is already hurting on account of the Fate/ Zero, Code geass, Escaflowne, and Haruhi collector's sets that just came out.
I just realized your question was regarding whether or not to buy Gurren Lagann or Fate/Stay Night. Sorry thought that you were deciding between Code Geass or Fate/Stay. Must of had a brain fart when typing my first response to your post. I would assume whatever is the older release has a higher chance of going OOP first.

So I recently purchased one piece collection box set 1-3 off eBay. The amazon exclusive. They are pretty nice and the extras are cool but the box design is awful and can make pulling out the 4 sets difficult. They also used cheeper DVD cases than the normal releases which is just stupid. I have heard they are also missing extra features but can't confirm this. I got them new for about ~$40 a box so I can't complain. I also already own the split volumes and earlier sets I just regretting not getting these limited edition amazon ones earlier.

I find myself more than ever not willing to pay the prices that Aniplex asks for their properties. I recently purchased a region free blu ray player  just so that I could afford some of my favorite shows. In fact, I bought Gurren Lagaan on blu-ray,shipped, for around $60. It's also nice to be able to pick up some of the UK LE's and stuff not released in North America.

The region-free player will pay for itself pretty quickly. :)  Mine is one of the best purchases I've made in recent years.

Seiki Upscaling Blu Ray player

I just bought one of these, and it is supposedly like the Seiki products before it. It was at a good price for me, so hopefully it works well!
I have this exact player and can vouch for it as well. No hard modifications required, just punch some buttons and you can make it DVD region free/Blu-ray Region B. It's cheap and obviously not built to last, but for occasional use it's a great buy.

I have this exact player and can vouch for it as well. No hard modifications required, just punch some buttons and you can make it DVD region free/Blu-ray Region B. It's cheap and obviously not built to last, but for occasional use it's a great buy.
Glad to hear that! Looking forward to building upon my collection with some affordable UK imports.

Thanks! Considering they were still taking orders for Escaflowne just a couple days ago and it's still available on Amazon, the new lower price surprised me. Definitely jumped on this one.

Code Geass was slightly cheaper during pre-order. Interested to know if they will wait to re-issue until the R2 audio issue is fixed.

Thanking of taking advantage of Rightstuf yenpress sale and buying overlord light novel and manga. might get couple others so I'll have free shipping.

Anyone read or watched overlord thoughts? Worth reading?  With got anime and the coupon it's decent price.

Planning of getting the dvd of overlord if I like the books.

Can someone explain to me why I would want to spend $40 extra for the CE of Escaflowne over the component pieces? Art book and necklace seem to be the only additional things. Yeah, you get the chip board box, but whoopity doo?

The reprint does not have the necklace at least that what rightstuf has on their site.

I'm not sure if it's worth getting or not. I still have the complete set from ages ago so not interested in the new one.

Only added benefit I can see is it includes a artbook and the movie, but can always buy that separately too if you just get the part one and two of it.

This has a pictures and info on it.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/07/03/escaflowne-home-video-date-announcement-preview-the-packaging/

As much as I absolutely love Escaflowne, it's hard to justify $130 for the set, especially since the movie is bad. If it included the soundtrack, maybe then, but otherwise I'll try and get the regular parts for under $30 sometime.

As much as I absolutely love Escaflowne, it's hard to justify $130 for the set, especially since the movie is bad. If it included the soundtrack, maybe then, but otherwise I'll try and get the regular parts for under $30 sometime.
Oh the movie sucks to boot? Then I'm in your camp. $30 or less for each part works for me. It was easy to justify $95 for Code Geass CE (dem art cards are amazing) when the total episode count is 50ish. Escaflowne only has 26. Thanks for the info and thoughts.

The movie has amazing animation and the typical amazing soundtrack from the Goddess of Music, but the actual plot is basically a retelling of the series except everybody's more Mononoke-esque. All the side characters are just there to fill space and Van isn't anywhere near as nuanced (or polite) as his TV version. Also, Folken and Van have super psychic laser beam powers, Escaflowne is organic instead of a giant suit of armor, and Hitomi is a goddess instead of just a normal schoolgirl with precog powers. 

It's worth a rental because, as I said, the animation and music are OUTSTANDING. But it's not worth owning. If you must own it, find the Bandai LE DVD set, since that includes the soundtrack.

The best scene in the movie is probably the cold open. A shame the rest of the movie wasn't anywhere near this awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daiZS3aq2G0

The UK Escaflowne CE comes with THREE soundtrack CDs, plus a huge hardcover art book - if you really want the soundtrack music, that would be the set to get. 

That requires a region-free Blu-ray player, and from what I understand, the most affordable ones were not made for heavy use and I certainly use my Blu-ray Player a LOT.

Excuses, excuses... any true anime fan would already own at least one region-free player...  And you don't need a region-free player to play the soundtrack CDs...

I absolutely need to be region free, just so I'm not forced to buy any more pitifully screwed-up Funimation releases.  :roll:

I think I'm leaning to getting the UK Escaflowne CE.  It having the soundtrack makes me interested.    The US CE reprint isn't worth it for the box alone.   It also gives me an excuse for looking into a region free player.

One question: are these full soundtracks or just best of CDs like come with game collector editions?

I believe they're the soundtracks for each of the two parts and the movie, but how complete each one is, they haven't really said. It's a single CD for each of them. 

Rightstuf sale started around this time last year. Anyone have any idea when it might be this year? It was the one I followed and people seem to agree last year was a departure from previous sales and sucked compared to what they had done before. Hopefully they've got some better deals this year.

Rightstuf sale started around this time last year. Anyone have any idea when it might be this year? It was the one I followed and people seem to agree last year was a departure from previous sales and sucked compared to what they had done before. Hopefully they've got some better deals this year.
it should start around thanksgiving week.

ideally we go back to the 12+ days of christmas where there is usually at least 1 good item a day instead of 40 days of mediocre with limited stock items that sell out of cheap price but stay in stock in general :/

Well, I briefly got excited, then reality set in. No way it'll be playing near me. Still pissed the nearest Shin Godzilla screening was 7 hours away.
I'm sure Arundel Mills here will be showing it since they usually show anime releases. Though I could have seen the film subbed theatrically twice this week and completely forgot about it. Would have probably been the Geneon sub, but same difference.

Hunter x Hunter steelbook is on sale at Best Buy for $30 (normal retails for 60). I'm tempted to buy it, never seen the anime. I heard the series is long and IDK if BBY will continue the steelbook trend with it. Ends 3pm CT

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hunter-x-hunter-set-1-blu-ray-steelbook-only--best-buy/5582010.p?skuId=5582010
thanks, I decided to pick it up despite the fact that it will likely never result in a full steelbook collection of the series.

Looks like im too late, comin up 59.99
yeah it ended at 3pm central time.

I will likely regret buying it at some point, but I am a sucker for steelbooks even when they contain medicore episodes :p

on the plus side I really only need them to release steel books of the first 5 parts or so... I can't remember where the ant arc starts episode number wise... but that arc is totally fine to just get on a budget release :/

Amazon Warehouse Deals has a few copies of Code Geass R1 Blu-ray for $31.99. The description says "factory sealed, but medium mark on item case." That's usually the sign of a dinger. I know a lot of people like their things to be in pristine condition, so this may not be for you. But for others who simply want the set with some imperfections on the casing, this is definitely down your alley.

I put in an order for one since that ~$30 price point was what I was wanting these sets at.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/j2d7unt

Amazon Warehouse Deals has a few copies of Code Geass R1 Blu-ray for $31.99. The description says "factory sealed, but medium mark on item case." That's usually the sign of a dinger. I know a lot of people like their things to be in pristine condition, so this may not be for you. But for others who simply want the set with some imperfections on the casing, this is definitely down your alley.

I put in an order for one since that ~$30 price point was what I was wanting these sets at.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/j2d7unt
Thanks for the link. Might look into this.

I received my Fullmetal Alchemist Ultimate Blu Ray set from Anime Limited and it's literally the coolest collectible I own. It's an actual replica of the gate and it's heavy as hell. It has a cool aged look. The artbook is huge, hardcover and heavy as well. I got it in the mail and it was so heavy for such a medium sized box. This is such high quality. I want to post pics but trying to clear all the styrofoam that came off. It was shipped in a specially made to fix box. I was regretting spending so much especially since I since don't have a region free Blu Ray player yet (plus I stupidly thought it was Brotherhood (missed out before it went OOP) and I already own the original series on DVD). But I have no regrets now. So amazing. Plus when I ordered it was actually cheaper than the US version shipped and it seems so much nicer. They also gave me a $5 (British pound) coupon because it was delayed). No idea if I'll use it though.

bread's done
Back