Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I also recommend Kamisama Dolls. It'll probably never get the second season it deserves, but I loved that show. Can also watch it on Crunchyroll.

Darn it, Sentai -- such a good deal, had to pull the trigger on a few shows I had been eying.  Honestly glad that sales like this only come about 1-2 times a year.  

Spent a lot (on me!) this past holiday - plan to tighten up quite a bit this year.  I have a LOT in my backlog to go through.

Anyone have thoughts on From The New World? Is it just good or is it both good and worth rewatching?
It's a really weird show and frankly I disliked it greatly. The story just wasn't that good, characters were meh and I wasn't sure what kind of ride I was being taken on. I would avoid like the plague personally.

From the new world is love or hate. It's definitely in my top 5. Loved it so much.. World building was amazing, characterization was great (they did spend the first 12 episodes setting up just like Steins Gate), and I loved the ending. I watched it in three days.

It's rated in the top 100 on MAL so I think more people like it then hate it, but you should watch a episode or two before you buy it. After the 4th episode things get insanely interesting, but if you don't dig the general tone and feel of episode 1 show probably isn't for you.

Yeah about that B&N deal. I'd think it over carefully. I went ahead and bought Your lie in April manga set. Books didn't arrive in great condition. One of the spines got twisted, and there are minor rips throughout the front and back cover of my other two books. They packed it in a huge carboard envelope even though it was just one or two tiny books.

I calculated it out. For approximately 70 bucks including tax i got your lie in April vol 1-11+ The god lies. If I bought it during the kodansha sale on rightstuf with membership vol 1-11 comes out to be 70 bucks or so. So basically you just get a free manga book from the deal, but you're playing with the RNG gods whether or not the book will come in good shape. I've been happy with all of my rightstuf purchases. They know how to pack their stuff. Don't think I'll be buying from B&N softcover books agian.

I did get the Emma manga hardcovers. Those were a fantastic deal, and arrived in great shape...

From the New World is a great show, reinvigorated my interest in anime. Don't let the covers or first couple episodes fool you, it's most definitely not a school life anime, more of a dark adventure/mystery show, and unlike the creepy manga covers the anime tones down the fanservice for the better. Rewatching it there were so many things I hadn't noticed the first time and I actually enjoyed it more.

apparently. I'm waiting on Gits s3 myself
There's a season 3? I thought there was only 2nd Gig?

EDIT: Is Season 3 Solid State Society? I have that on DVD - I think that one is already on bluray.

Anyone have thoughts on From The New World? Is it just good or is it both good and worth rewatching?
I loved it. It has a very interesting story that spends a lot of time focusing on world building. It also progresses through time, which I quite like, and its visuals and soundtrack are both quite impressive.

Solid State Society is a movie/OVA that takes place after the two seasons. I don't believe there has been anything in the works for a season 3.

Also, that B&N sale with coupon is a fantastic deal. I got 30 volumes for $6.40 each. The bulk of that was Yenpress, so that was even cheaper than Rightstuf + membership.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Since someone mentioned it, The Gods Lie is a great short story. It's not exactly a coming of age story, since they were kind of forced to come of age pretty quickly. But it'll take you on a Feels trip.

Didn't know they were releasing Stand Alone Complex on blu-ray.
Yes, there hasn't been very much marketing buzz around these releases yet, despite the fact that they are only a month and a half away. It's obvious that we are finally getting these releases as a means of piggy-backing off of the marketing of the upcoming film. But whatever, I'll accept that excuse as long as we get a decent high-definition release of Stand Alone Complex. It's still one of the best anime I've seen over the course of the past few decades. Second Gig is decent, but pales somewhat thanks to the obvious comparison to it's preceding season.

One of the tidbits of release news that I'm really excited about is that they are finally releasing Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence (the movie) on Blu-Ray. While it does not have nearly as much of a following as the original film, it is a movie with some stunning visuals and artistry, and would benefit significantly from a 1080p release. This has only been available on DVD for some time, with terrible box-art. The art for the Blu-Ray is stunning, and I can't wait to have this film in a proper high-definition format. I own multiple Blu-Ray copies and versions of Ghost In the Shell, so having Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence, is going to fill a sizable hole in my collection.

Yes, there hasn't been very much marketing buzz around these releases yet, despite the fact that they are only a month and a half away. It's obvious that we are finally getting these releases as a means of piggy-backing off of the marketing of the upcoming film. But whatever, I'll accept that excuse as long as we get a decent high-definition release of Stand Alone Complex. It's still one of the best anime I've seen over the course of the past few decades. Second Gig is decent, but pales somewhat thanks to the obvious comparison to it's preceding season.

One of the tidbits of release news that I'm really excited about is that they are finally releasing Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence (the movie) on Blu-Ray. While it does not have nearly as much of a following as the original film, it is a movie with some stunning visuals and artistry, and would benefit significantly from a 1080p release. This has only been available on DVD for some time, with terrible box-art. The art for the Blu-Ray is stunning, and I can't wait to have this film in a proper high-definition format. I own multiple Blu-Ray copies and versions of Ghost In the Shell, so having Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence, is going to fill a sizable hole in my collection.
There was actually an older Bluray release; it's just OOP and very expensive. The UK Blu-ray release is region free and cheap, though, so there's been that option for a long time. The movie is absolutely gorgeous on Blu-ray, and I consider it to be a far better film than the first!

Also, while not quite the place for this, would anyone be interested in my Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition from the UK? There were only 2000 made, and it's an awesome set. I'd much rather sell it to a cag at a lower price than I'm going to put it on ebay for. After all, no fees for me this way, so might as well pass the savings on.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using TapaTalk.

Already have Second Gig on DVD and just picked up Stand Alone Complex on DVD a few months back, so I have absolutely zero interest in the blurays, but I'll definitely be picking up GitS 2: Innocence on bluray when it comes out. Never got around to buying it years ago and it's been OOP for a while.

And just read that all the GitS manga is getting re-released too.

Did anyone get their "StuffBucks" $5 gift certificate from the Rightstuf Sentai sale in December? I'm waiting to make an order, but wanted to see if anybody had gotten anything before I opened a new case with Rightstuf.

Nichijou and Wolf's Rain are getting bluray releases in February too, just like Gits. Had no idea so many shows were finally getting blus this year.

Curious, did anyone order from sentai's shop and got the preorder bonus for the sakurako bones anime? I just wanna know what was that $60 value mystery gift was... Tried to see if anyone took pictures or unboxed it but no results found... I thought I saw it in stock at rightstuf so I think it was released but idk...

You'd never know it from their front page but comixology had a 50% off sale on most Kodansha titles using code "manga" at checkout. I know it's only digital but some volumes are only 6.99 digitally so that's 3.50 a volume for stuff like Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail.

Had no idea so many shows were finally getting blus this year.
Yeah, January is largely dead for me in terms of film releases. There's going to be a few Disney animated film re-prints in late January, but that's going to be about it. But in February things really start to pick up, with initial blu ray releases of several classic anime series. Ghost in the Shell, Gundam, and Wolf's Rain are all landing around the same time. January is giving me a little break, but February has it in for my wallet.

Curious, did anyone order from sentai's shop and got the preorder bonus for the sakurako bones anime? I just wanna know what was that $60 value mystery gift was... Tried to see if anyone took pictures or unboxed it but no results found... I thought I saw it in stock at rightstuf so I think it was released but idk...
Yes, I got the Mystery Gift item with my Beautiful Bones order, and I contacted Sentai the same day I received the Blu-ray a month ago (Rightstuf shipped it out early, as usual), and Sentai told me then that the Bonus Item wouldn't ship until January 10th, which is tomorrow, and the actual release day for the Blu-ray. So we should be finding out what our Mystery Gift is in just a few more days - hopefully by Saturday or Monday. I'm also curious as to what kind of Item we will actually receive that is supposedly a $60 value, lol...

Anime-on-line is having a New Years 20% Off All Blu-ray Sale this week, so I put in a big order today for 8 UK Collector's sets, I needs me some more of that awesome chipboard and digipak goodness, with the CE releases Anime Limited have been putting out on a regular basis now. I've switched to importing UK CE releases since Funimation pretty much dropped LE chipboard box sets for most all of their releases any more.

Any coupon code for RS that works on aniplexs items, I have got anime but doesn't seem to apply. I want to get fate zero and ubw but it's gonna cost 649 awfully pricy

Any coupon code for RS that works on aniplexs items, I have got anime but doesn't seem to apply. I want to get fate zero and ubw but it's gonna cost 649 awfully pricy
my recommendation. import.

fate zero is 50 euro for the whole series on amazon uk.

120 euro for unlimited on blu or 45 for dvd.

well plus shipping but shipping for all of that would be like 10 euro.

so even if you went with blu ray it would be 180 euro shipped which is $170 USD.

so with the rest of the money you can buy yourself a cheap blu ray player to play it, or get a region free one, or a blu ray drive for a pc ect and sitll have lots left over.

Nope. RS coupons never work for Aniplex titles. Ever. The only time RS discounts Aniplex titles is during their Holiday sale, on select titles. The 2016 Sale had the most Aniplex titles on sale for the biggest discounts ever, out of any previous year's sale i've seen. I was kind of shocked at that.  But, they never include recent or the very popular releases in the sale... There is one anime retailer that has an annual coupon code sale that does incude Aniplex titles - is it Crunchyroll? I forget... 

Hunter x Hunter Set 1 is on sale for $27.49 at RS. Is this good pickup? I don't mean the show quality, but is it worth it for the price?

best buy did have HxH set 1 blu-ray steelbook for 27.99 for quite a while. For 13 episodes it's not a bad deal, but personally I'm only going to keep collecting them as it releases if they continue to release SBs. Otherwise there'll probably be a deal for the whole set somewhere down the line.

I just got an email from Rightstuf about some changes about Stuf Bucks. At first I was angry because I felt like they were just rubbing it in that I didn't use the coupon code properly and they wouldn't edit my order. But I actually did get a $5 code.

I guess since I didn't put a Blind Box into my cart but I did actually use the coupon code, they gave me the certificate anyway. But I don't shop there too often so I doubt I'll use it anyway. If I haven't used it near the end of the month I'll give it to someone here.

my recommendation. import.

fate zero is 50 euro for the whole series on amazon uk.

120 euro for unlimited on blu or 45 for dvd.

well plus shipping but shipping for all of that would be like 10 euro.

so even if you went with blu ray it would be 180 euro shipped which is $170 USD.

so with the rest of the money you can buy yourself a cheap blu ray player to play it, or get a region free one, or a blu ray drive for a pc ect and sitll have lots left over.
Definitely going to second hopping in the import game. There are a ton of Aniplex titles with much cheaper (and very high quality) UK releases. Grab a cheap region free player or use your computer and off you go.

Some of the best sites are:
Amazon UK: The cheapest, but shit packaging
Zavvi: Prices can be good, have promo codes sometimes, mediocre packaging.
Base: prices on par with zavvi but with by far the best packaging.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

I'd say stick to Amazon UK. Zavvi doesn't even remove the VAT and their packaging is atrocious. Amazon removes the VAT at checkout and charges only 3 GBP for shipping. Use a no forex fee card like the 5% amazon chase visa that just got released and you're good to go.

bread's done
Back