Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, My Hero Academia and Spice and Wolf. Welcome to my home. (I already got Stein; Gate)

Edit: Free Same Day Shipping? Just my luck.

Got the email and ordered Spice & Wolf. The extra $2 off was a nice surprise. Do we know what the promotion is that is adding the promotional discount?

The sentai sale seems like a joke at least with the collectors editions compared to recent sales. Maybe there are some good priced reg bluray in the mix though. I didn't look.

wait. so it's the manga and not the light novel?
the spice and wolf thing I linked was the light novels.

all of the books (that were released at the time since spice and wolf actually recently restarted lol) in one giant book with a faux leather cover.

honestly it looks like a pain to read but seems like an awesome collectors item and given it was a limited print run and won't be reprinted should hold its value quite well.

Yeah infact I picked up
My love story
Amagi brilliant park
Is it wrong to pick up girls...
For ~$50+ ea

(I really like the box set for is it wrong... It's actually pretty cool and the height is still with all the other sets creativity points while still not being so rediculess you cant put it on your shelf, cowboy Bebop funi exclusive I'm looking at you cool concept bad for the shelf)

The next premium on my list has to be flying witch I enjoyed that show on crunchyroll.

In more anime related things with summer break I have finally had some time to catch up on some back log.
Pumped through all of the following
One punch man
My love story
Amagi brilliant park
Is it wrong to...
Parasyte
Akame ga kill

Also I ended up picking up the spice wolf collectors thingy from Amazon.ca couldn't pass up that price did the quickest shipping with the hopes of less time in transit means less time for it to be destroyed.

Uh...does anyone know where the old rightstuf holiday sale threads went? I always like looking at them to see how low a show has gone for in the past.

Btw, I ordered the spice and wolf and steins gate but I waited too long and didn't get the $2 discount. Bummer.

I wonder what the extra $2 was even for.

Kind of disappointing first day but I'm not expecting the titles I want the most to even be eligible for deep discounts at this point in time. Really want Amagi PBS but I'll have to wait for another Sentai sale. Even if I don't qualify for free shipping from them, it was a few bucks cheaper in the end when marked down to ~$50.

Does it look good? I've read anything and everything about it online and I worry it's gonna have those black bars on each side because the picture won't be completely filled.
That's what full screen means. 4:3 aspect ratio. It will have black bars on the sides (same with Cowboy Bebop) because that's how it was created. To make it widescreen would require cropping or stretching the image, both of which you can do with your television remote.

Does it look good? I've read anything and everything about it online and I worry it's gonna have those black bars on each side because the picture won't be completely filled.
Yes, it is a common misconception that cropping for wide-screen automatically makes things better. I know some people just don't like having bars on their screen. But the best way to view any video is in its original aspect ratio. Frequently, widescreen "conversions" are just a matter of viewing the original movie with a portion of the original image cut off. (removed) A scenario like that squeezes the image into a widescreen format, but you also lose a significant amount of the original picture to do it. Not exactly an ideal solution.

When a Blu-ray series shows up in full-screen, it's usually because it was released back when the wide-screen aspect ratio was not standard. While this can create black bars, it is actually the best way to watch these series, as you don't lose any of the original picture. If the black bars are just intolerable for you, go ahead and use your TV's settings to adjust the scaling, and crop off the top and bottom of the image.

Yes, it is a common misconception that cropping for wide-screen automatically makes things better. I know some people just don't like having bars on their screen. But the best way to view any video is in its original aspect ratio. Frequently, widescreen "conversions" are just a matter of viewing the original movie with a portion of the original image cut off. (removed) A scenario like that squeezes the image into a widescreen format, but you also lose a significant amount of the original picture to do it. Not exactly an ideal solution.

When a Blu-ray series shows up in full-screen, it's usually because it was released back when the wide-screen aspect ratio was not standard. While this can create black bars, it is actually the best way to watch these series, as you don't lose any of the original picture. If the black bars are just intolerable for you, go ahead and use your TV's settings to adjust the scaling, and crop off the top and bottom of the image.
Or buy the orange box Funimation releases of DragonBallZ and enjoy a mix of pre-cropped and streched imagery... </sarcasm>

Widescreen has only become the standard about ten years ago, prior to that widescreen was somewhat of a premium that animation studios rarely messed around with due to the majority of homes still only having standard (4:3) form factor display TVs.

Yes, most animated programming was designed for broadcast television. And that didn't switch over to adopting a native widescreen format until it was a very much established standard for most households. It wasn't until the flat-panel televisions became cheap and common-place that the television stations switched over. And this was just as true in Japan as it was in the United States. So a sizable amount of classic anime series are originally in a (4:3) aspect ratio. If it wasn't originally made for release in a movie theater, it is probably (4:3). Most films, and some OVAs were targeted at widescreen, but the majority of standard to long-running series are all (4:3). Even if you intend to watch the content in a scaled or cropped format, you want the video you have to be in its original, native aspect ratio. That way you will always have all of the original video at your disposal.

Thanks. I left my membership expire and was debating on whether to renew now if it did work on sale items or wait.
They really should make the member's price and non-member's price both visible to everyone. It would be a good way to drum up new memberships if they look at a sale like this and go "Hey, I can already get most of my money back."

Got all Spice-Wolf/Hero Acadima and Steins Gate. Sadly Steins Gate blur ray case got cracked good on top of the casing so guessing got to call up Amazon Support on this one. 

Got all Spice-Wolf/Hero Acadima and Steins Gate. Sadly Steins Gate blur ray case got cracked good on top of the casing so guessing got to call up Amazon Support on this one.
Nah unless they changed something go to return damage/defective and choose replacement they will send a new one free of charge and you will need to print free lable to get sent back within 30 days to avoid being charged for 2nd copy

Wonder what took so long for HxH vol 3. First 2 sets were only 4 months apart, so following that trend it should have been out around now, instead of almost 4 more months from now. The dvdplanet listing says 4pc set though... maybe they increased the episode count? But it's the same price as the 2-disc 13 episode sets, maybe I should preorder before it gets updated?

http://www.dvdplanet.com/hunter-x-hunter-set-3-standard-edition/782009244738

Debating on ordering that Spice and Wolf collector's set from Amazon.ca...anyone have it and have an opinion on the quality?

bread's done
Back