Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe one final DVD sale (80-85% off?) to get rid of their stock once and for all?
Watch for this to happen either on Black Friday or Cyber Monday!

Also on death watch, NISA anime. NISA hasn't released any new anime titles in over a year and has quietly been selling out of their stock. Predicting a big Cyber Monday anime dump from them, though seriously doubtful it will be anywhere near as good as what Sentai is likely going to offer.

Watch for this to happen either on Black Friday or Cyber Monday!

Also on death watch, NISA anime. NISA hasn't released any new anime titles in over a year and has quietly been selling out of their stock. Predicting a big Cyber Monday anime dump from them, though seriously doubtful it will be anywhere near as good as what Sentai is likely going to offer.
I would. I only buy Blu Rays if they're cheap anyway.

Last time I bought anything from Rightstuf was probably Holiday 2015 and from one of their random Sentai sales. I honestly am itching to buy anime from RS. Just not enough deals for me.

Need more Amazon sales.. I remember that random Black Friday sale. And then we had that glitch happen earlier this year

If they're going to go out, they can at least release Yuru Yuri S3 before they do.
NISA's video game division is doing rather fantastic. Problem is they, like virtually every other Japanese company, have tried to apply the Japanese business model for anime publication to the U.S.A. & Canada, which has time and again been a failure for other JP publishers. Their most recent anime release was sixteen months ago, after which the anime division went dark and hasn't been heard from again since.

Got to figure NISA made a go of being a anime publisher here in North America for 5 3/4 years without ever really making to much of a splash in the market. Did they license and release some desirable titles? Absolutely! Did they study the North American market to learn successful practices from the competing publishers? Not at all. I hate to see publishers that actually do produce quality releases exit the market as much as anyone else does, but in business you have to be willing to make bold decisions for change when the strategy you're employing isn't working. NISA Apparently wasn't willing to make a change to their anime publishing dynamic and would rather continue to release at price points reminiscent of ten years ago than to remodel their release and pricing operation after successful competitors like Funimation and Viz. As far as their "Premium Edition" variants went, their is always a limited niche of the market for which such releases will appeal and one expects those to be priced at a "Premium", and as far as their price points for their premium editions went they were on par with their competitors. But then there were their Standard Editions, which are/were typically only priced at around 20% less than their Premium Edition counterparts. This slim pricing difference between editions coupled with rarity of pricing sales and apparent unwillingness on the part of NISA to reduce pricing of aging stock ultimately drove consumers to take their anime buying budget elsewhere.

So in short, they haven't officially exited the NA market as a publisher. They could still surprise everyone with a much needed reboot of the division and improved business model... just don't count on that happening.

What? NISA's premium pricing was barely more than other companies for a comparable episode count and no where near the pricing 10+ years ago or Aniplex today. The quality packaging and artbooks they included easily made up for the price difference.

I would have loved more sales on their releases too, but you can't expect the same deals from a smaller company like you get from Funi.

Their Premium Editions, as I said, are/were on par with competing publishers in the pricing department. It's the long term handling that has killed or is killing them. Any retailer still with merchandise on hand that was anticipated to sell out within a few months of the initial release date a year after that release date has passed tends to start looking at said merchandise as a problem and evaluates what they can do to make the product move. in a brick & mortar environment the product would either or both be moved to a different location to hopefully improve visibility to consumers and/or a price reduction would take place.

In the case of NISA, visibility could be a part of the issue. Their anime has had zero brick & mortar retail presence, relying heavily upon their existing video game consumer base to whom are subscribed to their newsletters. RACs & RightStuf seem to be their only additional sanctioned vending outlets, this despite the fact NIS America has a official market account with Amazon but chooses to only use it to list their video game inventory. All NISA anime on Amazon is listed by either RACS or third parties. Actual marketing seems to be exclusive to both the NISA E-mail Newsletter and direct in person at select big city anime conventions.

As far as them being a "small publisher", there are even smaller publishers out there right now, some with actual issues, that still persist inspite of the problems they face. Media Blasters being the most prime of examples. But the key is they recognized ages ago that it's easier to make money selling 10,000 of something at a price point the majority of consumers are willing to pay than it is to sell 1,000 of something at a price point only a minority is willing to pay. NISA Actually does know this to a degree and it apparently hasn't dawned on them this is how they move video games.

so angel beats is cheap on the sentai store on blu ray

https://www.resetera.com/threads/angel-beats-blu-ray-is-going-out-of-print-heavily-discounted-on-sentai-store.3671/

$18.40 after discount using code FAREWELL since it is going out of print.
Highly advisable for anyone that wants to own Angel Beats, to buy it now while you still have a chance. Rights are likely going back to Aniplex. And they generally do not re-release catalog titles, nor will the price be as cheap as Sentai.

My copy of Skip Beat showed up today. It’s so exciting to actually be holding it.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my copy too. Loved re-watching the show, it's such an amazingly well done show. It calls itself shoujo, but when you compare it to other ones out there it just blows them away. Great mix of character depth, plot twists, and pacing. So sad we only have 25 episodes. Glad the manga is still there to be read though. As unlikely as it is, I hope they someday do more episodes.

I would definitely buy a re-release of a premium edition of Angel Beats if AOA released one. I was tempted to get the box set in Japan at Mandarake but there was slight damage to the art box corner so I convinced myself otherwise. If it had English subs, though, I would have been on it.

Just realized what happened.

The package arrived really tightly packed, which in a normal circumstance would be fine since it was tightly packed with padding on the top and the bottom.

However, the keychain they put in without padding in between the set and the keychain.

The box was so tight that something must've put pressure on it, and it indented into the face of the box, and now theres a dent, and also a scuff.

Needless to say, this is so incredibly disappointing after waiting all this time for this. ~_~

After reading many of the other comments on the KS page, apparently the keychain indent issue is a common occurrence for a lot of people, which really blows.

Can't believe somebody decided it was a good idea to ship the items that way, without any padding between those two items.

Ugh....

My Skip Beat! set arrived OK, without any dents - the keychain was lying on top of the face-down box set, and my folded-up Love Me jacket was lying on top of that - so the jacket held the key chain from sliding around but also kept anything from pressing down on it to dent the box.  

It seems the dent was mainly for people who had the box sit on top of it.

I guess it also doesn't hurt to have an extra layer to protect it too.

But yeah, pretty bummed out, but aw well.

At least they're sending me a replacement box, but man, that still sucks. ~_~

I'm wishing I hadn't cheaped out by only getting the basic Skip Beat package. It felt kind of underwhelming opening the package and getting just the show itself.

I think my box was damaged too because I noticed some scuffs, but I just wanted to watch the show before I had to travel for the week, so I didn't focus on it. I'll check it again when I get home and see how bad it is. If it's really annoying I'll get a replacement.

I think my box was damaged too because I noticed some scuffs, but I just wanted to watch the show before I had to travel for the week, so I didn't focus on it. I'll check it again when I get home and see how bad it is. If it's really annoying I'll get a replacement.
closer look and mine has minor damage, but nothing I can't live with. I know Pied Pipper barely got the thing released on the budget they had, so I am not going to sweat some minor damage.

closer look and mine has minor damage, but nothing I can't live with. I know Pied Pipper barely got the thing released on the budget they had, so I am not going to sweat some minor damage.
If you want the box replace, RS is doing the replacement, so they won't really be taking much of a hit from Pied Piper's perspective.

Plus, this is the fault of RS, and not Pied Piper, so you're more than entitled to getting that replacement if needed.

not a deal yet... but sentai has been teasing for a while that they are doing a big black friday sale

they just posted this as well

https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/928450835335581696

The your name outer sleeve thing is pretty nice. It's all shiny.

The dub seems passable but doesn't really stand out after seeing Silent Voice's dub which I consider to be fantastic.

The your name outer sleeve thing is pretty nice. It's all shiny.

The dub seems passable but doesn't really stand out after seeing Silent Voice's dub which I consider to be fantastic.
Slipcover :) And yeah it is very nice. Holofoil and metallic. Still bummed that mine hasn't shipped because it is paired with Rosario BD.

I'm not seeing a way to finalize your signup for that newsletter. Please

Edit: don't know why my keyboard added "please" to the end of that..

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but FYE is closing a bunch of stores. I went to the one in my mall the other day, and everything was 30 percent off. Might be able to find something nice even with the FYE prices.

SAO season 1 from Amazon UK shipped! Yippy! Hopefully it will arrive in time for turkey day. Now we just need season 2 to get bundled up.

sentai just detailed their black friday sale (Starting on the 17th)

dvds will be 80% off

gift cards on large purchases

ldb3nom.png

and black friday bundles

33klydB.png

I picked up two of the shows in those bundles when they were 70 percent off..

I always feel bad around this time of year, because if the sales are good enough then my loved ones are gonna have a cheap Christmas.

Straight up 80 or up to 80?
I imagine straight up given their last sales.

though some exclusions will likely still happen such as chihiyafuru

they also claim this is the cheapest they will go

PgXugDH.png

I suppose I should get motivated and see what series I am missing before the sale goes live.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but FYE is closing a bunch of stores. I went to the one in my mall the other day, and everything was 30 percent off. Might be able to find something nice even with the FYE prices.
This is rather sad news. The people who work at the location in my area mall have always been friendly and provided excellent customer service. Hoping for their sake it isn't one of the locations closing.

I picked up two of the shows in those bundles when they were 70 percent off..

I always feel bad around this time of year, because if the sales are good enough then my loved ones are gonna have a cheap Christmas.
And this is why I have already done my Christmas shopping. Well technically I still have one person left to get something for, but still that's just one person with the other eleven peeps gifts already bought.

Straight up 80 or up to 80?
If like the previous two rounds of the DVD blowout sale it will be up to 80% off, with the more recent releases
not being quite that deeply discounted.

Wondering if Sentai will roll out deals. I really, really want the Amagi premium set. Kicking myself for not biting when it was $56 or so but figured I wait and see if I can pick up more since I can’t qualify for free shipping.

I received the Akira 35th manga set today. The box is so large I can’t even find a place to put it. It’ll be my first time reading it, so if I don’t like it I’ll have to sell it. If I do like it, I’ll see if I can unload the box.

Saw that email from Sentai. What wasn't clear to me is whether those Black Friday bundles were DVD only as well, which doesn't interest me. Esp. Food Wars since it's still on-going I would prefer to wait for a complete bundle since I'm watching it on CR. No strong need to have it physically right now. Flying Witch, Danmachi, and My Love Story are high on my list though, so if those are blu-rays I'm there.

Saw that email from Sentai. What wasn't clear to me is whether those Black Friday bundles were DVD only as well, which doesn't interest me. Esp. Food Wars since it's still on-going I would prefer to wait for a complete bundle since I'm watching it on CR. No strong need to have it physically right now. Flying Witch, Danmachi, and My Love Story are high on my list though, so if those are blu-rays I'm there.
I imagine the bundles are the limited editions, which are all dvd+blu ray.

as I mean... most of those shows don't have multiple releases by sentai at this point, so there really isn't anything to bundle aside from the dvd+blu ray in the collectors :p

I imagine the bundles are the limited editions, which are all dvd+blu ray.

as I mean... most of those shows don't have multiple releases by sentai at this point, so there really isn't anything to bundle aside from the dvd+blu ray in the collectors :p
Those "Bundles" might end up being the LE of the titles shown plus related merchandise that they otherwise seem to have a hard time selling separately.

Also, I was kinda bored two weekends ago, tired of reading subtitles on anime, and typed up a article of sorts.:

http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/other/s/2017_review.html

bread's done
Back