Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of me remembers that even Funi’s offering last year was better than Rightstuf’s. Kind of regret not getting the Hellsing Ultimate bundle they had for $65 or so since I’m holding out on a possible complete set.

Nope...from the amazon description

Region: Region B/2
The only problem with that is those aren't always accurate. There are a lot of movies I have ordered from amazon UK that say they are region 2 locked but work on region 1 blu-ray players. A lot of the time I wait for blu-ray.com for someone to update the region coding.

So i don't have much experience with dvds anymore. but at 80%, how much of a difference qualitywise would it be vs a blu ray of the same anime? there's a bunch of anime i want to own but dont want to pay 40+ dollars for 12 episodes

So i don't have much experience with dvds anymore. but at 80%, how much of a difference qualitywise would it be vs a blu ray of the same anime? there's a bunch of anime i want to own but dont want to pay 40+ dollars for 12 episodes
Older, pre-HD, titles especially it has no bearing on. Newer titles, to me at least, it's negligible. Animated titles in general don't have the color and depth range of live-action and thus benefit much less from HD (1080p) resolution.

Also many of the older titles are only available on DVD as the Japanese production studious use not to retain the master film cells. And then you had a entire generation of animation that was literally produced to native DVD resolution (572/640x480 or 720x480). Really though, at 80% off, the savings will be so fantastic that the titles which are offered on either format are likely to be double or higher cost for the Blu-Ray version.

The only problem with that is those aren't always accurate. There are a lot of movies I have ordered from amazon UK that say they are region 2 locked but work on region 1 blu-ray players. A lot of the time I wait for blu-ray.com for someone to update the region coding.
Anime is a different story from movies. Basically anything Aniplex that gets picked up by All The Anime, MVM Entertainment, etc are region locked because Aniplex publishes them in the US, and they don't want us importing. I got a region free player for that reason, and I have saved an enormous amount of money vs Aniplex so far.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Older, pre-HD, titles especially it has no bearing on. Newer titles, to me at least, it's negligible. Animated titles in general don't have the color and depth range of live-action and thus benefit much less from HD (1080p) resolution.

Also many of the older titles are only available on DVD as the Japanese production studious use not to retain the master film cells. And then you had a entire generation of animation that was literally produced to native DVD resolution (572/640x480 or 720x480). Really though, at 80% off, the savings will be so fantastic that the titles which are offered on either format are likely to be double or higher cost for the Blu-Ray version.
Alright cool. One last question. The 80% off. You think it will be off the you pay price or the retail price? I see all their stuff has that but nothing is stated to be on sale. If its off the you pay price i might pick stuff up. I usually wait till i can get an anime for around 20 bucks blu ray wise.

Like already said, Aniplex stuff is pretty much always correct. TV series are almost always region locked. The ones you're talking about are usually the US movies from like Disney, Warner Bros., etc, which often end up being All Region. I can only think of one TV series from Europe that wasn't region locked, and it still wouldn't play because of the 50 Hz issue (Sherlock Blu-rays).

Who pays 40+? Sentai sales around the holidays have been like $20-27 a season. I usually don't buy them til they're $24 or less a season, unless it's something I really want.

As for the sale, it hasn't started yet.

If you are going to consider skimping on price by getting DVDs instead of Blu-Rays, it helps to have a player that has proper upscaling. Anime's visual style generally lends itself well to up-scaling, but you need a player that can handle that scaling properly. Allowing a television to handle scaling natively always goes badly. Most televisions just aren't up to the task, and television manufacturers never seem to put much of a priority on their scaling tech or software.

Sony is actually known for being one of the better companies for DVD and Blu-Ray upscaling. They put together some scaling tech that they integrated into their stand-alone movie players, as well as the PS4 Pro. It does a great job of taking low-resolution images and up-resing them to higher definitions with little to no loss of quality. It's still not as a good as having a native high-definition signal, but it the next best thing given a low-resolution source. (such as a DVD) I would recommend Sony's latest line of Blu-Ray players with the 4K upscaling option. Please note that you don't have to get the actual 4K Ultra-HD players. Just get one that has the 4K upscaling. They're very good.

Alright cool. One last question. The 80% off. You think it will be off the you pay price or the retail price? I see all their stuff has that but nothing is stated to be on sale. If its off the you pay price i might pick stuff up. I usually wait till i can get an anime for around 20 bucks blu ray wise.
It will be 80% off of the MSRP. Which will make the DVD title prices anywhere from $3.99 to $19.99, with only one title I made note of possibly being $19.99 and that was the Golgo 13 collection... which I kinda want.

If you are going to consider skimping on price by getting DVDs instead of Blu-Rays, it helps to have a player that has proper upscaling. Anime's visual style generally lends itself well to up-scaling, but you need a player that can handle that scaling properly. Allowing a television to handle scaling natively always goes badly. Most televisions just aren't up to the task, and television manufacturers never seem to put much of a priority on their scaling tech or software.

Sony is actually known for being one of the better companies for DVD and Blu-Ray upscaling. They put together some scaling tech that they integrated into their stand-alone movie players, as well as the PS4 Pro. It does a great job of taking low-resolution images and up-resing them to higher definitions with little to no loss of quality. It's still not as a good as having a native high-definition signal, but it the next best thing given a low-resolution source. (such as a DVD) I would recommend Sony's latest line of Blu-Ray players with the 4K upscaling option. Please note that you don't have to get the actual 4K Ultra-HD players. Just get one that has the 4K upscaling. They're very good.
If you're playing DVDs in a laptop or desktop computer the software player you use will auto-upscale to whatever your screen resolution is set to. And for a cheap older player with good hardware upscaling, Toshiba HD-DVD players with the "SHARC Processor" logo on them do a fantastic job.

It will be 80% off of the MSRP. Which will make the DVD title prices anywhere from $3.99 to $19.99, with only one title I made note of possibly being $19.99 and that was the Golgo 13 collection... which I kinda want.
Ah that's too bad. guess i'll keep an eye out for the DVD only releases like psychic squad.

Anime is a different story from movies. Basically anything Aniplex that gets picked up by All The Anime, MVM Entertainment, etc are region locked because Aniplex publishes them in the US, and they don't want us importing. I got a region free player for that reason, and I have saved an enormous amount of money vs Aniplex so far.
While I don’t mind some Aniplex of America releases based on artbox (less logos on certain ones) and the physical extras they include, I kick myself over some of their releases. Charlotte and Persona 3 are significantly cheaper through Anime Limited and are near identical to AOA’s for half the price. I only own one UK release, however, and that’s Outlaw Star because it replicates the Japanese release. I’m very tempted to get Lucky Star as well because of the chipboard box used.

Definitely need to invest in a region free player. I’ll probanly get the cheapest of cheap Sony players from 220 one of these days since the crappy Toshiba player my dad bought from Costco is driving me insane.

While I don’t mind some Aniplex of America releases based on artbox (less logos on certain ones) and the physical extras they include, I kick myself over some of their releases. Charlotte and Persona 3 are significantly cheaper through Anime Limited and are near identical to AOA’s for half the price. I only own one UK release, however, and that’s Outlaw Star because it replicates the Japanese release. I’m very tempted to get Lucky Star as well because of the chipboard box used.

Definitely need to invest in a region free player. I’ll probanly get the cheapest of cheap Sony players from 220 one of these days since the crappy Toshiba player my dad bought from Costco is driving me insane.
I personally own a large chunk of Australian releases. Madman Entertainment has some great sales from time to time and their shipping to the US is well priced. I have a few UK ones as well.

as for a region free blu ray player, I just use my desktop with an external blu ray drive :p

I personally own a large chunk of Australian releases. Madman Entertainment has some great sales from time to time and their shipping to the US is well priced. I have a few UK ones as well.

as for a region free blu ray player, I just use my desktop with an external blu ray drive :p
What software do you use on your PC though? That's always been the most difficult things to make blu-ray on PC work from what I've tried.

What software do you use on your PC though? That's always been the most difficult things to make blu-ray on PC work from what I've tried.
Technically you could rip them but I think that’s a topic we shouldn’t be discussing here since people are touchy about promoting piracy even if you literally own the discs.

Also would like to know what people use for BD software on HTPC. I use PowerDVD 15 right now. It suddenly stopped working like a month ago and I have had to resort to using my PS4. Am thinking about paying the money to get their new version, but I really don't even like the software and it annoys me that disc playing software is becoming a weird SASS service. My understanding is that they have to pay fees to get the keys to play the discs, it's just... frustrating as a consumer to pay each year, when I _don't_ have to do that with a set top box.

I liked TotalMedia Theater more, but they suddenly dropped their player, almost right after I bought it, and then it eventually stopped working as well.

Instead of the "thought police", we get the "blu ray police". It's kind of insane honestly. I'm just glad I can get region free blu-ray players!

I still use Cyberlink PowerDVD 10, for DVDs only obviously. Blu-Rays it stopped playing a couple years ago after it kept giving me notices that the decryption key registration for said version was going to expire on a specific date. All the more reason I really don't care for the Blu-Ray format. Presently thee are no one time buy applications which are immune to the rotating Sony decryption key paywall licensing. So in that regard a stand alone player really is the best and most reasonably priced option.

DVD Wise, VLC Media Player is free and does a fine job of playing DVDs. I've not really used it much myself as I do have PowerDVD 10, and Cyberlink PowerDVD does have a couple of nice features, namely screenshot capture and resume playback. Resume playback is a very nice option to resume from the last point in DVD you were at when the application was closed, and it literally remembers that spot for every DVD you pop in and play, super convenient. Does it warrant spending the $80+ on PowerDVD, not really, but if you're going to buy software for Blu-Ray playback anyways then it is a solid option.

And I will touch on the Blu-Ray ripping matter as I have a co-worker heavily into such (piracy type) things who talks about them frequently. The issue with ripping Blu-Rays is quite complex, Sony issues a unique set of algorithm keys to every licensed publisher, and new sets as quickly as every four months. If a hacker group manages to unlock one of those keys, it literally may only end up being a workable algorithm for just one or two titles from that one publisher. And according to him (mind I do not research this stuff myself as just not that interested) anime publisher keys are the least researched of all keys because the hacker groups claim it is far easier to hack Crunchy Roll streams to obtain 1080p anime.

sentai sale is up, seems like some of the series are actually sold out on dvd now such as girls in a dungeon.

the shows that weren't included that I could remember still aren't included :/

bundle seems to be some merch + limited edition

90DgR4J.png

actually I take it back chihayaruru is actually on sale now

there seems to be some decent blu ray prices as well, but I don't know how they compare to previous sales on the blu rays

a number of the clothing seem to be back down to $5 as well.

Dont know what to buy. It loos good but not sub $10 good. 

Great price for Shokugeki no Soma S1. 

Definitely recommend Guardian Ninja Mamoru

Dont know what to buy. It loos good but not sub $10 good.

Great price for Shokugeki no Soma S1.

Definitely recommend Guardian Ninja Mamoru
chihayafuru is good for $16 :p

food wars is good for the price

himoto is a new release as well

princess tutu is only $8

nadia is like $16

ushio and toro was like $20

ect :p

Is it weird I'd rather pay 3x as much for the bluray? I feel like that's crazy since the visual difference probably isn't huge.
I mean it's all about what makes you happy.

personally I am a cheap ass.

thus unless I really love a series DVD is fine lol.

there are plenty of blu rays on sale as well, but yeah the dvd is way cheaper in most cases here :p

I am hesitent to go completely crazy though, it clearly said in the email this is the last time they will be this cheap on the sentai store.

rightstuf is the one that ships their product anyways, so I imagine what doesn't sell here will likely show up in the holiday sale. especially since the holiday sale starts right after this.

I am still buying some stuff I want though like chihayaruru though, even though I will likely eventually rebuy it via the premium edition lol.

I mean it's all about what makes you happy.

personally I am a cheap ass.

thus unless I really love a series DVD is fine lol.

there are plenty of blu rays on sale as well, but yeah the dvd is way cheaper in most cases here :p

I am hesitent to go completely crazy though, it clearly said in the email this is the last time they will be this cheap on the sentai store.

rightstuf is the one that ships their product anyways, so I imagine what doesn't sell here will likely show up in the holiday sale. especially since the holiday sale starts right after this.

I am still buying some stuff I want though like chihayaruru though, even though I will likely eventually rebuy it via the premium edition lol.
Yeah, I mostly buy anime for collection reasons so it probably makes more sense to get bluray for me.

Always go for the blu ray. Sure the DVD's are tempting at that price but it is better to future proof your collection. Also there is a huge difference in BD qual over DVD qual both in PQ and AQ. If you are hurting to watch the show and want to see it bad then go for the DVD but imo it is better to hold out for the BD. Not only that, as you can see they are pretty much going to phase out DVD's. 10+ years has passed which is more then enough time to have gotten a BD player by now.

Is it weird I'd rather pay 3x as much for the bluray? I feel like that's crazy since the visual difference probably isn't huge.
I have literally hundreds of unwatched/ unopened anime sitting in boxes and I would still buy the 3x more expensive Blus over the dvds. I really need to downsize my collection of merchandise too.

i think its interesting that all the blu ray counterparts are on sale as well. and some are really good prices. i would rather pay 22 for a bluray over 10-12 for dvd.

curse you sentai for dragging us back to the blu ray vs dvd debate!
ended up going in for dvd: Kokoro, Food wars, penguindrum 1 +2, canaan, bodacious space pirates, tokyo mag 8.0. and a few movies on bluray

There's some really nice deals in there.

If only I wasn't so immersed with my games obsession phase again, I'd probably could've easily dropped a thousand on this sale alone.

Oh Vita, how you make my life enjoyable, and miserable...

There are too many pages to tab through and it seems like it's predominantly a continuation of their DVD sale. Anyone see any stand out blu ray deals?

If sentai is getting rid of all their dvds. Will their blu rays get rid of the dvd combo packs and be cheaper blu rays in general?

There are too many pages to tab through and it seems like it's predominantly a continuation of their DVD sale. Anyone see any stand out blu ray deals?
I wouldn't say standout, but the majority of them are lower or the same than previous year's sales, and seemingly going to be better or at least the same as RS at this point, so I'd definitely take a browse.

The only ones that aren't significantly discounted are just the pre-orders, and titles that were recently released, but they're still at 50%, which is not bad.

I'd recommend sifting through it when you have time as you may find some things that peaks your interest through all those pages.

I hate how the re did the site. It makes is a pain the find anything. Irrc the old site let you sort just BD's and DVD's. Not it is all messed up. :( I asked them to fix it on FB but yeah they probably don't care. I wonder how long the bundle deals will last as well.

Oh well at least my New Game BD has shipped. :) I'll be putting it next to these...

23130703_10155619593995056_2481030745592902904_n.jpg

I hate how the re did the site. It makes is a pain the find anything. Irrc the old site let you sort just BD's and DVD's. Not it is all messed up. :( I asked them to fix it on FB but yeah they probably don't care. I wonder how long the bundle deals will last as well.
Agreed.

They don't have an actual sorting system based on purchasing convenience. :*(

There's some really nice deals in there.

If only I wasn't so immersed with my games obsession phase again, I'd probably could've easily dropped a thousand on this sale alone.

Oh Vita, how you make my life enjoyable, and miserable...
You're like me. You need new carpet but you buy video games instead.

bread's done
Back