Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always a good day when I open the mailbox and find a RightStuf catalog.

Last scratch off I got was for a 10% discount. This time around ...

10%. Woohoo.

Good timing because I might pick up some My Hero Academia merchandise. From what I saw on Toonami so far, I liked it.
Oh it's that scratch off thing? Yeah mine was 10% too. Not sure if I'll ever get to use it on a good deal on their site though given the exclusion language.

Kenichi Sonoda’s Bean Bandit New Anime Project - Kickstarter
f43e298882c25c4529205fd9be7fd6f4_original.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beanbandit/kenichi-sonodas-bean-bandit-new-anime-project?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=kenichi

That is the Riding Bean/Bean Bandit version of Rally Vincent.

I don't remember all the details, but Sonoda made GSC after leaving the studio where RB was made. So when he created the series, he needed to make some changes to the characters so they weren't exactly the same.

I haven't actually seen Riding Bean (been meaning to for a long time), but I'm a big fan of Gunsmith Cats. I guess if anything I should be upset that she was so different there..

In any case, I'll be backing this.

A lot of good prices and quality titles in the RS DVD sale.

I noticed you could pick up all 4 seasons of Hidamari Sketch for $50, but you can't get the final two episodes for the graduation arc. Apparently they were never released in NA :(

I need a manga store that I can buy new releases at the best price. It seems like Amazon stopped pulling cheap pre-order price for manga, not sure why, so I need a new place to shop. Any suggestion?

I need a manga store that I can buy new releases at the best price. It seems like Amazon stopped pulling cheap pre-order price for manga, not sure why, so I need a new place to shop. Any suggestion?
wait for the barns and noble b2g1 sales?

or just order from publisher sales on rightstuf?

Maybe your local comic book store will make a deal if manga qualifies for a subscription service?

I personally stick with Rightstuf since it's an easy way to reach $50 and get free shipping if I order DVD's and Blu Ray's (they do pre-orders too). And since I read Case Closed, I never have to worry about finding something.

Man, the princess principal premium box is $117 and that's supposedly after discounts. I don't know, sentai LE's rarely sell out so I guess I'll hold off on it.

Any standouts in the sale for things that are only available on DVD?
The following are DVD only (at least in NA):

Recommended:

Azumanga Daioh - $12.50 ($8 in Sentai sale) (Enjoyable and funny high school sol. I rewatch every so often. Previous lowest price during last holiday Sentai sale was like $16.)

Ai Yori Aoshi - $20 (A bit sappy. Enjoyable if you like this genre. I've rewatched a few times. Good price but pretty sure has been this low before)

Red Data Girl - $12.50 (Worth a watch if you enjoy spiritual stories. Available on BR in Australia, but only DVD in NA)

Decent:

Someday's Dreamers and Someday's Dreamers II - $12.50 ea ($8 ea in Sentai Sale) (Worth a watch but not necessarily worth a buy)

El Cazador de la Bruja - $12.50 (Nothing special, but good price)

Suzuka - $10 (An ok watch if you like high school drama. I've never rewatched it)

There are many other good series with good prices in the sale, but they have BR versions available.

Been over a year that I've bought me some anime and with this sentai sale I think I may spend over $200 to complete some collections.I feel like a little kid in a candy store adding titles to my cart.

Edit: Any thoughts on Ushio and Tora complete collection and Cross Ange complete collection?

Thanks for those recommendations.

Would anyone recommend these titles:

Black Cat

Blassreiter

Tokyo Majin

Utawarerumono
Black Cat - You could do worse.

Blassreiter - Garbage, absolutely terrible.

Tokyo Majin - Own it, but have yet to watch it.

Utawarerumono - Excellent!

The sale at Sentai seems pretty cheap. Some of new ones are hitting $20. I’ll keep checking.

Space Brothers: $8.99 each! You’re all mine!!

El Cazador de la Bruja is definitely enjoyable - but the thing is, if I hadn't watched that before watching Noir, there's a good chance I wouldn't have liked it as much. No spoilers, but the plot of El Cazador bites a fair bit off of Noir.

It still feels distinctly different though, to be sure. Cazador is noticeably more lighthearted for one.

Some titles I recommend from the RightStuf DVD sale:

$2.50 - Patlabor Movie 3 WXIII DVD
Great stand alone movie that doesn't require knowing much, if anythhing, about the Patlabor franchise.

$2.50 - Agent Aika DVD Anime Legends
Action packed and heavily laden with fan service.

$5.00 - New Dominion Tank Police DVD
Sadly it's the sub-titled only version, but the dub release from fifteen years ago is scarce.

$5.00 - AD Police Files DVD
$5.00 - Bubblegum Crash DVD
$5.00 - Parasite Dolls DVD
These three titles are all part of the Bubblegum Crisis franchise. Must haves for any fan of said franchise.

$5.00 - Toward the Terra Movie Remastered DVD
Japanese sci-fi spin on Peter Pan.

$5.00 - Darkside Blues DVD
Dark, ecchi, with very mature themes, and very much a classic.

$7.50 - Mezzo DVD (TV Series)
Action packed, fun to watch direct sequel to the OVA Mezzo Forte.

There's a lot of good stuff in that Sentai Sale. I had to pare down my original cart, but there were a few things I couldn't pass up. I ordered Space Brothers 1-8, When They Cry Season 3, and Squid Girl (regular edition).

Here's three (likely) less common suggestions if people are looking for stuff to add, put in a spoiler due to size:
Tonari no Seki Kun-$6/$13 A show that reminds me a bit of Azumanga Daioh. Seki sits in the back of the class, and does elaborate things to kill time rather than listen to the lecture. Yokoi sits next to him, and gets distracted by all of the things Seki does. An example from the manga; he puts on a bunch of finger puppets and has them play a Rugby match, complete with field and cheerleader finger puppets at halftime.

She, The Ultimate Weapon-$6 Saikano to people like me. Though the show is often a downer, it's a good romantic drama with a lot of great character work.

Sabagebu-$8/$15 A club of girls shooting each other with nerf-type guns where the action is shown as though it was real over-the-top action. This is probably the least exciting gif I could find, but it also spoils nothing.
e46f98634edbbe6ac1b35c43d33a251c.gif

Tonari no Seki-kun is very funny & Sabagebu is simply hilarious

This sentai sale looks to be as good or better than their holiday sale. Lots of tempting deals...

The sentai film works memorial day sale sale has the lowest the lowest sale prices now. Most of those premium boxes are cheaper than they've ever been. I bought amagi brilliant park for 49.99 and that was its last cheapest price. The big O collection is also cheaper than last time I think.

Ushio tora is also a good deal, either regular or box set. Log horizon is a decently priced too. All those 650min series are at decent prices now lol. Very tempted to get To love RU collection cause it has everything in one.

To be fair, it's been half a year ago, so the sales will be "cheaper" in compare. Who knows. Maybe by the end of the year, it will be even cheaper. Like Soma Season 1 could be $23.99. Wishful thinking, but we shall see.

Welp, that was $175 that I had no intention of spending. Haha. Those prices are so good!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

I don't suppose anyone has seen Princess Nine or Taisho Baseball Girls? I've been putting off trying the former for a long time, but the latter seems like it might be better quality.

I don't suppose anyone has seen Princess Nine or Taisho Baseball Girls? I've been putting off trying the former for a long time, but the latter seems like it might be better quality.
I've seen both actually, but it's been quite a while. I'd go with Princess Nine over Taisho, though that's mainly on remembering which I enjoyed more at the time, but I couldn't give you any specifics.

Seen and enjoyed both. They're both sports series, obviously, and both have feminist themes, but Princess Nine is heavy on 90's shoujo melodrama (love triangles! dramatic still shots!) whereas Taisho Baseball has more of an early moe, cute-girls-doing-cute things vibe (but with more substance than usual for CGDCT). I preferred Taisho overall, though Princess Nine could have won me over if it hadn't ended so poorly.

Is there a phone number I can call for Funimation Support regarding a damaged item they sent me? I ordered Blood Blockade Battlefront and it arrived with what sounds like loose plastic shards rattling around inside, so I put in a support ticket. 20 days later (this past Tuesday), I received a response asking that I send a "picture of the damage"; I responded as calmly as possible that this isn't a problem you can see since the case is sealed but the plastic pieces are distinctly heard when I shift the case from side to side. I haven't gotten a response back yet.

I didn't expect Funimation to suck this badly when it comes to customer service.

bread's done
Back