Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Occult Academy continues to impress with episode three. Episode three focuses more on Fumiaki, the other lead character, but the show does great things with him. Not only does the show continue to have phenomenal facial expressions, but it's also really great at being funny. Fumiaki's interactions with Mikaze, the girl he falls for at first sight, are genuine and funny, which provides some diversity to an already interesting show. I'm looking forward to episode four when it airs next Monday.

Alright, Soul Eater was extremely amusing but after continuing past episode 24, I'm not really in the mood for things to slow down again or for new characters to enter. I think I'm going to put it down. Episode 25 was terrible.

i'm on ep 38 of soul eater and will probably hit 51 by week's end.

with how many groups are working on various tactics right now i'm skeptical of this show having a satisfying ending in the eps left. still i'm interested to see what they decide to do next and look forward to seeing more. i hope to hear about a Soul Eater NEXT or something that picks up the series again.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Alright, Soul Eater was extremely amusing but after continuing past episode 24, I'm not really in the mood for things to slow down again or for new characters to enter. I think I'm going to put it down. Episode 25 was terrible.[/QUOTE]

That's where I'm at now. I'm stuck at epi 30, it's not that the show is bad, but it feels like this entire arc (which will probably last for another 12 or so episodes) isn't necessary.

Amazon had each season of yu yu hakusho for $14 so I picked it all up. I'll probably skip right to season 3 since that is where Cartoon Network stopped airing it. I kinda miss the days when companies would also dub the op/ed credits.

I'm somewhat new to Anime... first time posting in this thread.

Amazon's deals on the Case Closed box sets were really good, so I picked up seasons 1-5 along with the blu ray of Samurai Champloo. I read that some of the details for things like woodgrain were a little washed out in the bluray, but the audio quality on the bluray was better.. so I went with it anyway.

I thought about what I've seen and what I own for Anime, and realize that I'm not as much of a dabbler in it as I thought.. but even so, if anyone can suggest some good stuff I'd love some suggestions. I'm not opposed to things with Adult content, so long as there is a compelling story to go along with it.

I've really enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell SAC & 2nd Gig, Fullmetal Alchemist, Azumanga Daioh(sp) and Pani Poni Dash. There are probably a number of others, but I can't think of them right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
does Samurai Champloo get any better deper into the series? I'm about 6 episodes in and frankly, it's kind of boring.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Amazon had each season of yu yu hakusho for $14 so I picked it all up. I'll probably skip right to season 3 since that is where Cartoon Network stopped airing it. I kinda miss the days when companies would also dub the op/ed credits.[/QUOTE]
CN went way past the Dark Tournament when the series goes crazy and turns into DBZ.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I kinda miss the days when companies would also dub the op/ed credits.[/QUOTE]

Funimation still dubs some of their shows' opening and ending songs.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I thought about what I've seen and what I own for Anime, and realize that I'm not as much of a dabbler in it as I thought.. but even so, if anyone can suggest some good stuff I'd love some suggestions. I'm not opposed to things with Adult content, so long as there is a compelling story to go along with it.[/QUOTE]

You just said the magic words! First and foremost, you should buy Kurau Phantom Memory!. Also, you should purchase Full Metal Panic (all three seasons), Ghost Hunt, and Moribito.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I'm somewhat new to Anime... first time posting in this thread.[/QUOTE]
There's one thing you need to know, and it may just save your life one day, so listen up: Don't pay attention to Raz. :lol:

[quote name='ChibiJosh']There's one thing you need to know, and it may just save your life one day, so listen up: Don't pay attention to Raz. :lol:[/QUOTE]

And under no circumstances should you watch Kurau. ;)

[quote name='thelonepig']And under no circumstances should you watch Kurau. ;)[/QUOTE]
It'll cause your eyes to bleed, you'll have an aneurysm, and you'll die. Do you want that? Didn't think so.

On a separate note, I just finished episode 4 of Gunbuster.

[quote name='the_punisher']That's where I'm at now. I'm stuck at epi 30, it's not that the show is bad, but it feels like this entire arc (which will probably last for another 12 or so episodes) isn't necessary.[/QUOTE]

well mildest spoiler ever. a few eps later things erupt and move pretty quickly. basically around ep 34 or so. i'm guessing with 51 eps there's not a lot of downtime.

27 introduces a new antagonist if you stopped at 25.

still i wouldn't call this series excellent by any stretch but i'll finish it for sure.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It'll cause your eyes to bleed, you'll have an aneurysm, and you'll die. Do you want that? Didn't think so.

On a separate note, I just finished episode 4 of Gunbuster.[/QUOTE]

I really can't compete with responses that are that great; I guess I'm not witty enough, unfortunately, though it does help that I leave things open enough to facilitate these responses.

Anyway, how are you liking Gunbuster?

[quote name='Razzuel']I really can't compete with responses that are that great; I guess I'm not witty enough, unfortunately, though it does help that I leave things open enough to facilitate these responses.

Anyway, how are you liking Gunbuster?[/QUOTE]
I just finished it. I enjoyed it a lot. Although, the last episode being black and white was a little off-putting at first. I was happy that they portrayed the time dilation consequences of light speed. You don't really see sci-fi shows do that often.

I think tomorrow I'm going to check out the beginning of Toradora to make sure I don't hate it and pre-order volume 2.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just finished it. I enjoyed it a lot. Although, the last episode being black and white was a little off-putting at first. I was happy that they portrayed the time dilation consequences of light speed. You don't really see sci-fi shows do that often. [/QUOTE]

I absolutely adore the time dilation consequences of light speed. You don't see it often. The only other science fiction that I can remember, off of the top of my head, having it were the Ender's Game books. There's probably a lot more that I haven't experienced, though. The last episode being black and white was weird at first, but I think it's great in its own right; after watching it, I don't think I'd want it in color. Also, the ending is so damn amazing, and seeing
"Welcome Back" lit up on Earth was really powerful.

Also, spaceships that are powered by
pure mathematics through espers and space dolphins is brilliant.

Anyone seen My Bride is a Mermaid? I think my wife and I will like it. It looks really sappy, but I think we'll like it anyway.

Okay finished Soul Eater last night.

Things were interesting up until the final ep where
fuggin courage killled Kishin?!? COURAGE?!? Maka turns into some sort of super weapon, is instantly defeated, and then wins via COURAGE?!? BULLLLLLSHIIIIIITTTTTTTT

That was a serious letdown.

Oh well time for my semi-annual Shonen Sekai where I catch up on Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/Reborn anime. Then maybe the Kino's Journey movie and Honey & Clover.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']There's one thing you need to know, and it may just save your life one day, so listen up: Don't pay attention to Raz. :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thelonepig']And under no circumstances should you watch Kurau. ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It'll cause your eyes to bleed, you'll have an aneurysm, and you'll die. Do you want that? Didn't think so.

On a separate note, I just finished episode 4 of Gunbuster.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:
:rofl:

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']well mildest spoiler ever. a few eps later things erupt and move pretty quickly. basically around ep 34 or so. i'm guessing with 51 eps there's not a lot of downtime.

27 introduces a new antagonist if you stopped at 25.

still i wouldn't call this series excellent by any stretch but i'll finish it for sure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got to the new protagonist, and I think it was a pretty stupid move tbh.
And Medusa is still alive after all that? Really?
I'll move past 34 this weekend and see if it gets better again, the show definitely switches between on/off a lot.

Also, for those who didn't see, Avatar (The Last Airbender Avatar) is getting a spin-off. Shrug, never saw it.
http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1107556p1.html

I finished watching Black Lagoon season 1 and 2 today. I have to say that I enjoyed it.

Yeah, it makes no sense that Rock took the path that he did, and Revy can be annoying, but I just couldn't get enough of the awesome action and silly characters coming in and out throughout the series.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not there are more seasons and if they'll be coming stateside? Just wanted to know if the box set is worth keeping around and waiting for future seasons to come along and continue the story.

Whelp...fucking Onemanga is no longer allowed to show manga starting next week so it looks like I gotta find someplace new to get my weekly Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Reborn and fairy tale. :|

Also, School Rumble is pretty awesome.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']
I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not there are more seasons and if they'll be coming stateside? Just wanted to know if the box set is worth keeping around and waiting for future seasons to come along and continue the story.[/QUOTE]
There is a 5 episode OVA currently being released, and Funi already announced they licensed it, so it will eventually be getting a release here, though it is unknown if they are gonna have the same English VAs.

[quote name='GhostShark']Whelp...fucking Onemanga is no longer allowed to show manga starting next week so it looks like I gotta find someplace new to get my weekly Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Reborn and fairy tale.[/QUOTE]

You could, I don't know, buy the manga? It sounds crazy, I know, but trust me with this one.

Damn, I don't think I like any one anime enough to drop money on a set. The Amazon deal is almost over and I can't pull the trigger on anything.

Was considering getting Samurai Champloo complete for my 12 year old brother as a christmas gift, but as he doesn't really show any interest in anything on TV I don't think it'd be a risk worth taking. I just think having a great show, book series or video game franchise to play at that age is good for growing up. I had Cowboy Bebop, Diablo II, Final Fantasy X and the LOTR books -- those were the fucking days.

[quote name='Razzuel']You could, I don't know, buy the manga? It sounds crazy, I know, but trust me with this one.[/QUOTE]
I buy Reborn, but I still read the scans online because it's so much farther ahead.

[quote name='Razzuel']You could, I don't know, buy the manga? It sounds crazy, I know, but trust me with this one.[/QUOTE]
Depends on the manga. I love Tenjou Tenge, unfortunately the CMX translations suck, badly. So I read the scanlations of the series where ever I can find it. Some series and companies are worth dropping money on (Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service from Dark Horse for example) and some are not worth dropping the money because of lazy ass quality control.

I was thinking about pre-ordering Canaan, but outside a strong recommendation from a friend, I don't know much about it. I don't get many things on release so is it good enough to buy asap?

[quote name='Razzuel']Psst, you should buy Kurau Phantom Memory.

Also, what about Mushi-shi, Beck, Baccano, or When They Cry?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Beck and Baccano but hated Mushi-shi. I still remember sitting in the Mushi-shi U.S. English dub screening with my friend at Anime Expo 2007 and walking out because he too thought it was boring. I let out a bit "I told you so" as we left. fuck that series.

Baccano is legend-tier awesome. Violent, engaging, different.
You can fearlessly purchase it.

Started trying to catch up on Bleach last night. Even though it's been a long while since I saw it they had an entire filler arc in the middle of the story so skipping that it's like there's only been 10 new eps since I watched it last.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']There is a 5 episode OVA currently being released, and Funi already announced they licensed it, so it will eventually be getting a release here, though it is unknown if they are gonna have the same English VAs.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be keeping the box set so I can watch it again once the OVA is released.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I buy Reborn, but I still read the scans online because it's so much farther ahead.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is just me, but I've never really followed this logic. I mean, I have lots of series, anime and manga, that are 'farther ahead' in Japan and I could track down fan translations to 'catch up'. Except... I decided to do other things. I bet if I stacked up all the games and DVDs and manga I haven't finished yet, the pile would go through my roof (hit the ceiling, at least.) Even if I was caught up, there's so much stuff released here already to go hunt down- and I very much enjoy 'the hunt' for an OOP title.

I don't know, I just don't see much reason to put effort into finding a site to get illegal fan translations when the legit product will be readily available later anyway.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Maybe this is just me, but I've never really followed this logic. I mean, I have lots of series, anime and manga, that are 'farther ahead' in Japan and I could track down fan translations to 'catch up'. Except... I decided to do other things. I bet if I stacked up all the games and DVDs and manga I haven't finished yet, the pile would go through my roof (hit the ceiling, at least.) Even if I was caught up, there's so much stuff released here already to go hunt down- and I very much enjoy 'the hunt' for an OOP title.

I don't know, I just don't see much reason to put effort into finding a site to get illegal fan translations when the legit product will be readily available later anyway.[/QUOTE]
There's not really much tracking down involved. I take 10 minutes out of my week to read the latest chapter and then I'm done until the following week. It doesn't really interfere with any of the other manga or anime or videogames I'm currently into. It and Ushio and Tora are the only two scans I read and the latter is from the 90s and was never released in English.

[quote name='GhostShark']Whelp...fucking Onemanga is no longer allowed to show manga starting next week so it looks like I gotta find someplace new to get my weekly Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Reborn and fairy tale. :|[/QUOTE]
It will be sad to see Onemanga go since they hosted fansubs of series that aren't licensed in the US (I understand not hosting licensed manga though, even if the licensed series is way behind what is available in Japan), but hopefully the manga industry sees the interest in digital manga and starts developing the market. I saw Square Enix is opening an online manga shop this Fall, and you can already browse some first issues free: http://www.square-enix.com/na/manga/

[quote name='GhostShark']Also, School Rumble is pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]
Yes, yes it is :)

Maybe it's just my general interest in manga, but I'd rather follow fan/prosub versions of the anime I'm interested in than the fansub manga. Especially for action/shonen shows. Death Note is the only manga I wanted to finish before I paid any attention to the anime.

Most shonen anime gets tons of filler though. I'd rather just read the manga and then maybe check out my favorite fights from the anime.

Another reason I read the scans is Viz's translation is just weird sometimes. Tsuna yells things out like "Holy hat!" and they changed "dying will" to "deathperation". Though, I normally just read it 死ぬ気 in my mind anyway.

Also, the High School of the Dead manga has been licensed by Yen Press, so I'll be picking that up when it comes out.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's easy to not watch filler. Just don't buy the volumes with filler in them or skip past them in collections.[/QUOTE]
True, but if you're trying to watch it as it's airing the Japan, that's means possibly going months without watching it.

Crunchyroll picked up Mitsudomoe, which is another one of the Summer shows. I thought the art looked interesting, so I decided to check it out, though I wasn't expecting it to be any good. It's a fucked up show; it's a gag comedy based on incredibly crass humor. Normally I hate crass humor, but there's something about this show, like Desert Punk, that makes me laugh. The first two episodes were hilarious; episodes three and four weren't as funny, but they were enjoyable enough. I doubt many people will like this show, but if you liked Desert Punk's humor, then you might like Mitsudomoe. Also, if you're wondering what the show's premise is, it's basically about a middle school teacher and his three problematic students, the three Marui sisters.

[quote name='Razzuel']Crunchyroll picked up Mitsudomoe, which is another one of the Summer shows. I thought the art looked interesting, so I decided to check it out, though I wasn't expecting it to be any good. It's a fucked up show; it's a gag comedy based on incredibly crass humor. Normally I hate crass humor, but there's something about this show, like Desert Punk, that makes me laugh. The first two episodes were hilarious; episodes three and four weren't as funny, but they were enjoyable enough. I doubt many people will like this show, but if you liked Desert Punk's humor, then you might like Mitsudomoe. Also, if you're wondering what the show's premise is, it's basically about a middle school teacher and his three problematic students, the three Marui sisters.[/QUOTE]

From previews I wasn't interested, but you're comparing it to Desert Punk? Now that time has passed, I've realized how much I liked Desert Punk. It was definitely boring at times, but the overall feel of the show was always enjoyable, and once in awhile there were those episodes that made me want to keep watching. There were some very funny and enjoyable arcs in DP, and I finished it pretty quickly. An overall great show, despite more than a few "off" moments.

Sorry, what were you saying again?

so i'm fairly caught up on bleach now. skipped like a 40+ eps of filler. feels good man.

now its on to shippuden.

Watched Baccano yesterday and today. It was pretty amazing. At first I had absolutely no idea what was going on (and still didn't really for most of the series). I'm sad that it ended.

I might be getting back into anime after a several-year hiatus.

After seeing The Last Airbender movie, I had to sit down and watch the original Avatar: The Last Airbender series from beginning to end since I owned the whole series yet only saw maybe 10 episodes on TV.

After finishing that up, I also decided to go through The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1 since I also owned the DVDs and hadn't watched them. I did download the series in fansub format back when the series originally aired, and I rewatched them a billion times, so it was some decent nostalgia. Easily my favorite anime series.

I never caught the second season that aired last year, but I saw it was coming out next month on DVD, so I preordered it. Yes, I've heard about the whole Endless Eight thing, so don't warn me. I'll have to see what I think about it when the set ships.

I have a decent backlog of DVDs I got a few years ago, so I'm going through them first before getting into anything new, but I will still gladly take any recommendations!

On my backlog list:

R.O.D. the TV
Haibane Renmei
Paranoia Agent
RahXephon
Tenchi Muyo! (Ryo-Ohki)
And a bunch of movies/OVAs

I'm starting with R.O.D. as I tried watching it a few years ago, but only got about a quarter of the way through it. Someone on here was singing its praises during a Geneon sale, so I picked it up. I didn't hate it, but I also wasn't crazy about it. Maybe it gets better?

Anyway, all that was just to say I haven't watched any anime, new or old, since Haruhi and Ergo Proxy were brand new (Summer of '06). So, what have I missed? :lol:

Enough rambling. This is why I don't post much anymore.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I said some things.[/QUOTE]

Here we go again, guys! You most certainly need to purchase Kurau Phantom Memory!

Also, after you finish watching R.O.D. the TV — which is really awesome, by the way — you should watch Haibane Renmei, since it is fantastic.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I might be getting back into anime after a several-year hiatus.

After seeing The Last Airbender movie, I had to sit down and watch the original Avatar: The Last Airbender series from beginning to end since I owned the whole series yet only saw maybe 10 episodes on TV.

After finishing that up, I also decided to go through The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1 since I also owned the DVDs and hadn't watched them. I did download the series in fansub format back when the series originally aired, and I rewatched them a billion times, so it was some decent nostalgia. Easily my favorite anime series.

I never caught the second season that aired last year, but I saw it was coming out next month on DVD, so I preordered it. Yes, I've heard about the whole Endless Eight thing, so don't warn me. I'll have to see what I think about it when the set ships.

I have a decent backlog of DVDs I got a few years ago, so I'm going through them first before getting into anything new, but I will still gladly take any recommendations!

On my backlog list:

R.O.D. the TV
Haibane Renmei
Paranoia Agent
RahXephon
Tenchi Muyo! (Ryo-Ohki)
And a bunch of movies/OVAs

I'm starting with R.O.D. as I tried watching it a few years ago, but only got about a quarter of the way through it. Someone on here was singing its praises during a Geneon sale, so I picked it up. I didn't hate it, but I also wasn't crazy about it. Maybe it gets better?

Anyway, all that was just to say I haven't watched any anime, new or old, since Haruhi and Ergo Proxy were brand new (Summer of '06). So, what have I missed? :lol:

Enough rambling. This is why I don't post much anymore.[/QUOTE]

Watch the Read or Die OVA before the TV series. The TV series will make MUCH more sense if you do.

bread's done
Back