Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

New trailer for Pokemon Movie 16. A squad of Genesect terrorize the land and are about to kill Ash & company until Mewtwo shows up all pissed-off. Best part? Ash recognizes him, meaning it is, in fact, the same Mewtwo from 15 years ago.

Oh, and Team Rocket appear and once again act like their old selves instead of the fake-badass selves in the series.

Just finished up Fate Stay Night, and am about to finish Samurai 7.

The ending of Fate Stay Night left a bit of bitterness in my mind
as I am used to the ending wrapping up with everybody getting their wishes and all
. But after it sat for a bit, I generally did enjoy it nonetheless. Certainly got me intrigued in the series. Enough so where I am now even playing through the PSP game and eventually going to watch Fate Zero!

[quote name='3GSid']Just finished up Fate Stay Night, and am about to finish Samurai 7.

The ending of Fate Stay Night left a bit of bitterness in my mind
as I am used to the ending wrapping up with everybody getting their wishes and all
. But after it sat for a bit, I generally did enjoy it nonetheless. Certainly got me intrigued in the series. Enough so where I am now even playing through the PSP game and eventually going to watch Fate Zero![/QUOTE]

Check out the F/SN movie Unlimited Bladeworks. You may not understand what the heck is going on, unless you read up on it to have it explained, but if you couldn't stand Shirou in the tv series he'll be redeemed here.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Wow! Media Blasters no longer has rights to Bakuman, Rurouni Kenshin, and Berserk animes.

Other undisclosed titles have also expired. And even though they have the rights to Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei and Moyashimon, they have no intentions of releasing them and may license them out to other companies.[/QUOTE]

Not really a surprise considering all the problems Media Blasters has had of late.

Now it is surprising that their going to focus mainly on the Kitty Media stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PimpLimp']Wow! Media Blasters no longer has rights to Bakuman, Rurouni Kenshin, and Berserk animes.

Other undisclosed titles have also expired. And even though they have the rights to Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei and Moyashimon, they have no intentions of releasing them and may license them out to other companies.[/QUOTE]

They've also confirmed that they let the licenses for Midori Days & Grenadier expire. So those are 2 new titles to add to Media Blasters' OOP list.

I depend on Toonami/Adult Swim for most of my anime viewing so this is a treat.

Evangelion was a pleasant surprise. How does it hold up to the original series?

I thought 4Kids One Piece was so bad it was funny. I hear the redub is better so I'll be sure to check it out.

I think as long as they don't reair Samurai 7 (or "Samurice" as I call it), I'll be happy with whatever Toonami decides to air.

[quote name='tangytangerine']I wonder if One Piece is what will be replacing Tenchi Muyo GXP once it finishes up(has about 8 episodes left).[/QUOTE]They haven't announced when they plan to air One Piece other than that it will be sometime this year. It's a possibility though.

[quote name='Cage017']Evangelion was a pleasant surprise. How does it hold up to the original series? [/QUOTE]

If you mean 1.11, unless you haven't watched the tv series, there's not much reason to watch it besides updated animation. 1.11 is essentially a condensed version of the first 6 tv episodes with very little difference. 2.22 is where the movie version starts to separate story-wise from the tv series.

1.11 may just be a glorified compilation movie, but it is a BEAUTIFUL compilation movie. Everything has much more depth, the palette pops out way more, and the fight against the 5th Angel is way more exciting.

Plus, the amount of detail that went into the backgrounds and computer screens is amazing. I wish more animated movies and series had that much detail.

[quote name='Cage017']I think as long as they don't reair Samurai 7 (or "Samurice" as I call it), I'll be happy with whatever Toonami decides to air.[/QUOTE]
Samurai 7 was so bad imo.

[quote name='moon_knight']Samurai 7 was so bad imo.[/QUOTE]

Bah, Samurai 7 was awesome. Easily Gonzo's best series ever. I still miss Kiku :'-(

I watched about 6 episodes of Samurai 7 and gave up on it. Then again, it should be noted that I can't stomach watching any of Netflix's horrid array of anime they have on Instant.

[quote name='DNukem170']Bah, Samurai 7 was awesome. Easily Gonzo's best series ever. I still miss Kiku :'-([/QUOTE]

What about Gankutsuou or Welcome to the NHK (even though it's overrated as hell)

If anyone wants to see a better version of Samurai 7, I suggest watching the classic Japanese film it's based on.

[quote name='moon_knight']The movie is too old. fuck that.[/QUOTE]No, fuck you for not being able to appreciate a movie just based on the fact that it's old. I could understand the argument that the movie might be too long, coming in at over 3 hours, but too old? You're obviously just narrow-minded.

[quote name='PimpLimp']If anyone wants to see a better version of Samurai 7, I suggest watching the classic Japanese film it's based on.[/QUOTE]

The western remake The Magnificent Seven is also worth a watch.

[quote name='moon_knight']:rofl: :rofl: I was kidding. I love movies and watch all kinds, I've been meaning to get into Kurosawa's films for a while.[/QUOTE]Hahaha well you got me then, ya bastard!

[quote name='themaster20000']The western remake The Magnificent Seven is also worth a watch.[/QUOTE]And I totally forgot about The Magnificent Seven. It deserves a watch as well.

Derailing the thread a bit (sorry), but does anyone have recommendations for films/shows like The Girl That Leapt Through Time? I absolutely loved it, but haven't found anything that has come close to it yet (have seen Summer Wars, 5cm Per Second, and Ghibli films).

[quote name='Gden']You could try Paprika, it's not like it, but you never know.[/QUOTE]

Already saw it after hearing it was similar to Inception. Liked it, though it was very odd. Anything else?

Have you seen Perfect Blue? It's definitely R-rated, but a very good psychological horror/thriller.

Yeah, it's not at all like Ghibli or Summer Wars or TGWLTT. :lol:

[quote name='thelonepig']Have you seen Perfect Blue? It's definitely R-rated, but a very good psychological horror/thriller.

Yeah, it's not at all like Ghibli or Summer Wars or TGWLTT. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Nope will look into it. Is it more intense than Elfin Lied? I could never finish it because it was just to much, and don't want to start another series if it's as gory/sexual (the whole thing with the kid they found was effed up). I'm not trying to insult EL BTW, as I know tons of people love it, just the best comparison I could think of.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Nope will look into it. Is it more intense than Elfin Lied? I could never finish it because it was just to much, and don't want to start another series if it's as gory/sexual (the whole thing with the kid they found was effed up). I'm not trying to insult EL BTW, as I know tons of people love it, just the best comparison I could think of.[/QUOTE]

I'd give it closer to a Hitchcock vibe. It plays quite a bit to paranoia. There's one scene with brief nudity when a woman is undressing (posing for a camera) and a brief scene of graphic violence (I don't recall, but believe that it actually doesn't show much - more implied).

I decided to check out soul eater on netflix by watching an episode and ended up watching 9 of them. I'm really liking this show. Gonna watch it on netflix instead of waiting for it to air on toonami.

[quote name='thelonepig']I'd give it closer to a Hitchcock vibe. It plays quite a bit to paranoia. There's one scene with brief nudity when a woman is undressing (posing for a camera) and a brief scene of graphic violence (I don't recall, but believe that it actually doesn't show much - more implied).[/QUOTE]

Well that sounds perfectly acceptable, and right up my alley:D I just know when people say R-rated in regards to anime, it can be rather extreme:hot:

Is it worth watching? Yes.
Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinners is pretty good supernatural movie. Artwork is colorful and detailed and the music is superb. The first movie though starts of rough because it doesn't quite explain what goes on, it tosses you right into it and omits some details that would help one follow the plot. The first few movies are told out of timeline sequence, which give a mystery vibe surrounding Ryougi Shiki throughout the subsequent movies, which isn't fully resolved until the last movie.

Is it worth shelling out $150? Not unless you're a fan of Nasuverse stuff.

So I am just starting Madoka Magica. One thing I have heard over and over is that Episodes 1 & 2 are typical magical girl stuff and Episode 3 shows its true colors.

Yea, about that...I apparently have not seen as many magical girl shows as I thought. I haven't seen many that have a hellish black & white landscape, one of the girls' powers being a thousand flintlock pistols, and the main characters being attacked by art museum rejects and Pringles Popcorn balls.

So, there's a new car commercial out there (it might be old, I haven't watched a lot of TV recently) that uses Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" as its theme.

How sad is it that I immediately thought of Eva before Ol' Blue Eyes?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Think this series hits in a couple weeks, hoping for the best:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Gden']At the weird show just posted.... what the fuck. Looks cool, though[/QUOTE]
The series, Attack on Titan, actually starts airing this Saturday in Japan. It's the only new spring anime I've been interested in, so I've been keeping my eye on it.

Here's another promo for it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtdKWJdif4

I HIGHLY recommend reading the manga that this is based on, Shingeki no Kyojin. Just be warned that it's extremely graphic. Makes me wonder how they'll handle all the gore in the anime.

I just started Naruto and I'm very happy with it. So happy with it, i bought the first Naruto game for the 360 and it's a lot of fun and follows the series pretty well. Every now and again I go back and watch some Outlaw Star. I loved that series.

Got my copy of Bakuman 18 yesterday.. read a few chapters seems good like the others so far. I think I might start watching the anime soon, as #19 isn't out for a few months then finally #20 in august so i'll need a Bakuman fix inbetween

bread's done
Back