Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='PimpLimp']The series, Attack on Titan, actually starts airing this Saturday in Japan. It's the only new spring anime I've been interested in, so I've been keeping my eye on it.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, only way that you're going to be able to watch is through illegal means. Because rumors are that because of MBS, no one will be able to pick up Attack on Titan for a simulcast.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Sadly, only way that you're going to be able to watch is through illegal means. Because rumors are that because of MBS, no one will be able to pick up Attack on Titan for a simulcast.[/QUOTE]Yeah so I've heard and that's pretty unfortunate. I'm probably going to wait a couple weeks and hope someone picks it up before I resort to that. Kodansha USA is launching the manga here this summer so I'll support them through that and other means for now.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Yeah so I've heard and that's pretty unfortunate. I'm probably going to wait a couple weeks and hope someone picks it up before I resort to that. Kodansha USA is launching the manga here this summer so I'll support them through that and other means for now.[/QUOTE]

Kodansha USA has been publishing the manga here since last year.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Yeah so I've heard and that's pretty unfortunate. I'm probably going to wait a couple weeks and hope someone picks it up before I resort to that. Kodansha USA is launching the manga here this summer so I'll support them through that and other means for now.[/QUOTE]

Kodansha USA has been publishing the manga of it here,since last year.

[quote name='themaster20000']Kodansha USA has been publishing the manga of it here,since last year.[/QUOTE]Yeah my bad, I got confused.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']So, this Attack on Titan talk has piqued my interest. Is it worth $6.50 per volume?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's worth it if you can get them for that price. I've only read the first 3 volumes(waiting on Amazon to ship the 4th). First volume starts off kinda slow, but really picks up near the end and the other 2 just run with the action. Can't remember which one, but the 2nd or 3rd does include a back story about the two main characters(Eren & Mikasa).

Sometimes I hate how fluid Amazon's prices are. I figured I'd just order the Attack on Titan books this morning, and a couple of them were raised in price overnight. They're still plenty cheap, and I've heard a lot of people raving about the series, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Although I hope I can get past the weird proportions of the titans once I get some story to go along with the images I've seen. :)

[quote name='DNukem170']Of course as soon as I get both parts of Birdy the Mighty for cheap FUNimation announces a S.A.V.E. version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they announced it about a month ago, when Right Stuf put out Funi's June schedule. With a S.A.V.E. edition of My Bride is a Mermaid, Sekirei Season 1 & 2 combo pack and that coming out in the next few months, my wallet is going to hate me.

I tried going to the 2 part way of buying Birdy a couple months ago, but got burned on Part 1 twice. Because Amazon has a listing for the version for that has the defective 2nd disc(that has DBZ on it instead of Birdy). But even with the correct one, there's still people that list the defective one under it.

After that, I decided to just buy the complete series and saw that the S.A.V.E. edition is coming out, so now I'm holding off on until June.

FYI, this is the listing for the defective one:
http://www.amazon.com/Birdy-the-Mig...d=1365660227&sr=1-6&keywords=birdy+the+mighty

So watched the first two episodes of Aku no Hana; one last night and the other just now. Also read the first 18 chapters of the manga just now.

I think its pretty good, I see alot of people hating on the anime online because of the animation style but I quite like it - makes a nice change. I might pick the manga up eventually as I don't normally like reading manga online but I just got a bit carried away with this one.

Good news about Attack on Titan's streaming.

Amazon sent me 1,3,and 4 of the manga so I'm stalled out after the first volume. I like what I've seen so far though, and it actually didn't take me long to get past the art style. I appreciate you guys mentioning it because I just waved it aside when I saw it before.

Word of advice to people reading the manga though, don't read the interview in the back of the book. They clearly didn't pay attention when they added it, because it spoils some major[\I] plot points with offhanded remarks.

[quote name='the_punisher']Don't know why it's overrated, loved WTTNHK. One of my favorites
[/QUOTE]

It's a good show but the fans talk about it as if it's the greatest thing ever. The show focused too much on the comedy part of it,and made Misaki less interesting of a character than she was in the manga,and the drawings and animation quality were inconsistent.

Good show still but the manga and novel are way better.

So anyone that has seen/read them: would you recommend Gunslinger Girl, Love Hina, Kami Kaze?

I was considering bidding in a snowball coming up, but would like some opinions:)

It was just a terrible adaptation of the manga.First off the story didn't flow as smoothly as the manga.The characters aren't really developed at all. It was also way more stupid with the jokes,and it toned down everything. All that and it just wasn't as funny.

Obviously I'm new to CAG so I wanted to say hello. I love all types of anime, just started watching Soul Eater the other day but only got 2 episodes under my belt atm, I'm really enjoying it so far though. So hello all, hope to be a regular in this topic and to enjoy the discussions within.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']So anyone that has seen/read them: would you recommend Gunslinger Girl, Love Hina, Kami Kaze?

I was considering bidding in a snowball coming up, but would like some opinions:)[/QUOTE]

Gunslinger Girl is pure awesomeness, especially Season 1. Season 2 and the OAV are still good, but not as emotional (especially with the art shift).

If you don't like sad stuff, though, stay away.

And if you don't win the lowball, eBay usually has the DVD complete collection for around $16.

[quote name='DNukem170']Gunslinger Girl is pure awesomeness, especially Season 1. Season 2 and the OAV are still good, but not as emotional (especially with the art shift).

And if you don't win the lowball, eBay usually has the DVD complete collection for around $16.[/QUOTE]

cool, sounds like I'll go for that and pass on love hina (unless I can add it on for $1 or so, cause why not).

Any opinions on Kazi Kami manga?

[quote name='Calmdawg']Obviously I'm new to CAG so I wanted to say hello. I love all types of anime, just started watching Soul Eater the other day but only got 2 episodes under my belt atm, I'm really enjoying it so far though. So hello all, hope to be a regular in this topic and to enjoy the discussions within.[/QUOTE]

soul eater is great. reminds me a lot of d grayman.

[quote name='DNukem170']Gunslinger Girl is pure awesomeness, especially Season 1. Season 2 and the OAV are still good, but not as emotional (especially with the art shift).

And if you don't win the lowball, eBay usually has the DVD complete collection for around $16.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the second season of Gunslinger Girl was just butchered in anime form. What's more astounding is the manga writer had input on the making of second season and it turned out so bad.

As for the manga, good stuff until the introduction of Petrushka. All of the sudden it's like the writer got tired of the child soldiers and went for teen killer with the premise, not that the story telling was bad but everything stops to focus on her. Once it stops with Petrushka, it's like the writer had enough of either the original characters or the whole series, as it's then on a character death countdown.

[quote name='E Nice']
Yeah, the second season of Gunslinger Girl was just butchered in anime form. What's more astounding is the manga writer had input on the making of second season and it turned out so bad.

As for the manga, good stuff until the introduction of Petrushka. All of the sudden it's like the writer got tired of the child soldiers and went for teen killer with the premise, not that the story telling was bad but everything stops to focus on her. Once it stops with Petrushka, it's like the writer had enough of either the original characters or the whole series, as it's then on a character death countdown.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the spoilers, asshole.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, that's so bad. I forgot she had an Osakan accent.

Edit: I also remember changing the audio back and forth while watching KareKano. The dubs in that was awful too.

I have to disagree with you there. I liked KareKano's dub quite a lot. The only voice I had any problem with was Arima's, and that was just because it was bad casting, not because the guy couldn't act. (his voice was way too deep)

Yukino's sisters were pretty bad. And the two mains couldn't act that well in a lot of scenes. It's apparent when you switch audio back and forth.

So Rightstuf has recently annouced that they will be releasing the rest of Gundam:Unicorn here on DVD.

Am interested in it,but I wanted to know how big of difference in quality their is between the Blu ray and the DVD.

I have not purchased many RightStuf DVDs, but if they are the same quality as the Bandai DVDs, then they still look good on DVD.

Thing you have to keep in mind though is, is better picture quality worth spending over $200 for?

Started watching Attack on Titan...very interesting so far. Only have 6 episodes available I think so I'm eagerly awaiting the 7th to come out soon.

[quote name='SynGamer']Started watching Attack on Titan...very interesting so far. Only have 6 episodes available I think so I'm eagerly awaiting the 7th to come out soon.[/QUOTE]
I'll be interested in hearing your reaction after episode 7. I haven't seen it yet, but I've read enough of the Manga to know what will be in the episode.

I've really enjoyed the anime, and with Funimation officially announcing that they'll be the ones releasing it on disc it should be affordable to pick up as well.

SO what have you guys been watching lately?

Lately have just been streaming Attack on Titan and Devil Survivor 2 off crunchyroll as far as new shows go (Really enjoying both of them so far),

But will probably pop ine one of my own sets that I haven't gotten around to watching soon. Leaning towards Gungrave or Welcome to the NHK

I just rewatched Cardcaptor Sakura, to both remind myself which disc was faulty, and to make sure all the discs still worked. Well, that and to rewatch it. (the disc that was faulty has been faulty since the day I got the sets back in 2005, or 6, but didn't want to try to deal with pioneer's shitty CS to get a replacement). I bought a replacement disc off amazon, recently.

I have been trying to get through my unwatched backlog. I finished up Ouran Host Club and am currently watching Stratos 4. Still have Gravion, Baka & Test, Sailor Moon S, Angel Beats, Naruto Shippuden 12-14, Persona 4, Infinite Statos, Clannad, Demon King Daimao, Tiger & Bunny, and Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Probably forgetting a bunch. That isn't counting series I have that I haven't watched in a long time. I haven't watched Escaflowne or Fruits Basket in almost a decade.

Also getting back into Shonen Jump since the last issue I read was back in December.

[quote name='DNukem170']I have been trying to get through my unwatched backlog. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know the feeling. Been trying to get to my backlog, but I usually watch the stuff simulcasting right now first. I've got Blue Gender, Burst Angel, Fate/Stay Night, Speed Grapher, Princess Resurrection and Baka & Test S2 that I'd like to hopefully get through by the end of the summer.

[quote name='Gden']I just rewatched Cardcaptor Sakura, to both remind myself which disc was faulty, and to make sure all the discs still worked. Well, that and to rewatch it. (the disc that was faulty has been faulty since the day I got the sets back in 2005, or 6, but didn't want to try to deal with pioneer's shitty CS to get a replacement). I bought a replacement disc off amazon, recently.[/QUOTE]

I loved that show when I was in middle school. One of the very few animes where the dub is better imo.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']I loved that show when I was in middle school. One of the very few animes where the dub is better imo.[/QUOTE]

...Seriously? Or are you talking about Movie 2?

Because Nelvana's Cardcaptors dub was awful.

bread's done
Back