Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='Gden']I was watching Cardcaptor sakura, not the Cardcaptors abortion.[/QUOTE]

But he mentioned the dub. Unless there's another dub out there, Nelvana's been the only dub for the series/first movie.

Part of me doesn't want Sentai or FUNimation to license rescue CCS because I hated Monica Rial as Sakura in the Tsubasa dub.

I don't think they'd get Monica Rial to do young Sakura since that was older teenage Sakura (although I didn't mind her as Sakura), I'm thinking more like Jessica Boone as her, or maybe Meilin would probably make sense. I hope they do what they did for Hiro's voice from Fruits basket, and get a young boy to do the voice of Shaoran, instead of a girl. I also rewatched the second movie, and though the dub is not perfect, it's still at least halfway decent, and they only grossly mis-pronounced Sakura's name once.

[quote name='DNukem170']...Seriously? Or are you talking about Movie 2?

Because Nelvana's Cardcaptors dub was awful.[/QUOTE]

the one that aired on kids wb :lol:

So, I am reading through the cast list on Stratos 4 and am surprised how many of the English VAs are successful singers and have been in big name TV shows and movies.

So why is it the dub is so generic-sounding?

[quote name='DNukem170']I have been trying to get through my unwatched backlog. I finished up Ouran Host Club and am currently watching Stratos 4. Still have Gravion, Baka & Test, Sailor Moon S, Angel Beats, Naruto Shippuden 12-14, Persona 4, Infinite Statos, Clannad, Demon King Daimao, Tiger & Bunny, and Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Probably forgetting a bunch. That isn't counting series I have that I haven't watched in a long time. I haven't watched Escaflowne or Fruits Basket in almost a decade.

Also getting back into Shonen Jump since the last issue I read was back in December.[/QUOTE]

I feel ya on the backlog bud. Buy so much, just to have it sit. Will tackle through it sooner or later though haha.

I just think that episode 7 of Attack on Titan will be one of those polarizing moments where people will decide whether they want to keep watching the show or not. I can easily see where both sides would be coming from.

I can also see why people might lose interest early on. The show really needs to give its viewers a strong sense of how futile and desperate humanity's struggle is in order for the show to work. Instead of your normal 1-3 episodes of "Everything is hopeless," they're getting 6 (and at this point may be assuming it will never end).

I have to confess though, if not for this thread (and the short window in which the bulk of the manga series was around $6/each) I'd have completely ignored this series. For now, I'm glad that I didn't.

I was polarized in the opening minutes of episode 1, and set it down for good after episode 2. I hear the manga is great, though.

Gonna try out Yahari instead. Hearing good things.

[quote name='DNukem170']IMO, the only English VA Sakura should have is Kari Wahlgren.[/QUOTE]

To an extent, I agree with you, she did a really good job, and she even imitated Tange's "HOÉ"'s very well, while sort of making it her own. I say to an extent, because no matter how good she was, she still sounded off for some reason. (I know that spelling was weird, but that was the only way I could spell HOÉ WITH the accentuation on the Ay/long e sound (depending on what you think the sound was)). I take it back, the dub was good, the only voice I questioned was Mona Marshall as Sjaoran. It's not that she's a bad voice actor, because she's not. And it's not that she can't voice boys, because she can. It's that it sounded weird to have two girls talking to each other about love, in this case. That's why I hope if someone dubs CCS they get a boy to do the voice (like hiro in fruits basket), instead of a girl, so they sound like an honest to goodness boy, or they get Sarah Strange. I'd be okay with that.

[quote name='DNukem170']So, I am reading through the cast list on Stratos 4 and am surprised how many of the English VAs are successful singers and have been in big name TV shows and movies.

So why is it the dub is so generic-sounding?[/QUOTE]

Stratos 4 has excellent casting — all of the voices feel like they match their characters — but the voice actors were poorly directed, which is why it has that mediocre aura. I still loved the English dub though, despite that.

[quote name='GogetaSS4']I don't know why there's so much hate for Attack on Titans, I freakin love it.[/QUOTE]

I think one of the reasons why some people have been hating on it is due to some places getting unfinished versions of the episodes. Certain stations in japan air it earlier and the studio gives them an incomplete version due to time constraints.

The schedule the 2 simulcasts having been airing lately. It seems like Funimation has been getting the complete version(they've delayed it a couple times due to materials), while Crunchyroll is airing the unfinished version.

[quote name='tangytangerine']I think one of the reasons why some people have been hating on it is due to some places getting unfinished versions of the episodes. Certain stations in japan air it earlier and the studio gives them an incomplete version due to time constraints.

The schedule the 2 simulcasts having been airing lately. It seems like Funimation has been getting the complete version(they've delayed it a couple times due to materials), while Crunchyroll is airing the unfinished version.[/QUOTE]
Oh really Tangy I didn't know this.

Need some advice. I have some CDJapan points about to expire, so I need to use them. Was going to get a Nanoha figure or a Gundam model, but shipping would be higher than the actual item. Is there any promo code that I can use to reduce shipping or something cheap enough that it wouldn't matter?

[quote name='moon_knight']Sword Art Online looks pretty bad to me, but I guess I'll check it out then.[/QUOTE]

If anything, at least it's something new that isn't licensed by Funimation. As this might mean there's a chance stuff from other publishers have a chance of getting on there.

[quote name='Gden']I wish they would put Buso Renkin on there.[/QUOTE]

Assuming they remember it exists.

A little surprised they haven't gone after Tiger & Bunny.

Then again, Viz may want to save all their stuff for Neon Alley.

Attack on Titan isn't bad by any means, but definitely has been dragging on a little too much and has seemed completely hopeless for a long time.

Spoilers:
It also seems inconsistent that at some points Titans are invincible, and at other times they're easily cut down.

I also can't believe they killed the main character, very interesting :applause:

I'll keep watching it cuz it still keeps my interest, but definitely not as good as it was hyped up to be. The last few seasons of shows have been mostly crap.

Unrelated, I started watching Last Exile. More than halfway through it right now and LOVING IT. Characters, world, everything about it is top-notch even though it's slightly dated (2004 I think). Highly recommended. I see a spiritual successor is airing right now, not exactly sure what that's about but seems similar to Eureka Seven vs. ES AO.

[quote name='the_punisher']
It also seems inconsistent that at some points Titans are invincible, and at other times they're easily cut down.

I also can't believe they killed the main character, very interesting :applause:

[/QUOTE]
i bet that "friendly" titan is him in some way

I was suggested that I post this in another thread I had started.... Anyhow, sometime in the mid 2000s my wife and I decided we should watch/collect Amine so we did just that.... The collect part, not so much the watch part. I have three boxes of anime. Some of its sealed but most of its not sealed... but pretty much all of its not been watched. It is all on DVD. (Original DVDs)

Anyhow, its been taking up space for too long... and its time to move it out.

So, besides asking you all is their any resources I can look at to figure out fair market value for this stuff?

Trade Thread Link (Note: I'm more than willing to look at trade lists...)

Trade List
All this stuff is for trade/sale but right now I'm more of trying to just get it documented...
(edit: Okay its all listed.)

Noir (Missing Vol 1, NMV)
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 7 (Link)

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum
Vol1 + Box (Link) (Box is banged up, came that way off of retail shelf.)

Get Backers
Vol 1 + Box (Link)

Real Bout High School Boxed Set (Link)

Gilgamesh
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)

Gungrave
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)

Peacemaker
Vol 1 + Box* (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)

Full Metal Panic!

Mission 1 + Box (Link)
Mission 3 (Link)
Mission 4 (Link)
Mission 5 (Link)
Mission 6 (Link)

Chrono Crusade
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)

Wolf's Rain
Vol 1 + Box (Link) * CD found Toy still missing
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)
Vol 7 (Link)

Scrapped Princess
Vol 1 + Figure (Link)

Mezzo

Shell 1 + Box (Link)
Shell 2 (Link)
Shell 3 (Link)

Gravion - Divine Steel
Vol. 1 + Box (Link) (Box Beat up)
Vol 2 (Link) (x2)

Gantz
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)

Rurouni Kenshin Wandering Samurai Premium Box 1 (Link)

Rurouni Kenshin Legend of Kyoto Premium Box 2 (Link)

Dragon Ball Z - Uncut Movie Boxed Set (Dead Zone/The Tree of Might/The World's Strongest) (Link)

Madlax
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)

Tenjho Tenge
Round One + Box (Link)

The Devil Lady
Vol 1 (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)

Rahxephon
The Motion Picture + Series Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)

Stellvia
Vol 1 + Tin Box (Link) (Tin includes all the plastic holders for Vols 1-8)
Vol 2 (Link)

Last Exile
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)
Vol 7 (Link)

Texhnolyze
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)

Perfect Blue (Link)

Ai Yori Aoshi - Faithfully Yours
Vol. 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)

Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Black Rose Saga (Link)

Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Rose Collection/The Movie Boxed Set (Link)

Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Apocalypse Sega (Link)

Ikki Tousen -
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)

Love Hina
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)

Love Hina Agaun (Link)

Dragon Ball: The Saga of Goku
Vol. 1 (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)

Megazone 23
Vol 1 + Box (No Mouse Pad) (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)

Ninja Scroll (10th Anniversary Edition) (Link)

Ghost in the Shell (Special Edition) (Link)

Ghost in the Shell 2 (Link)

Requiem from the Darkness - Turmoil of the Flesh (Vol. 1) (Link)

Aquarian Age - Sign For Evolution
Vol 1 (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)

His And Her Circumstances Vol 1-5 + Box (Link)

Kiki's Delivery Service (Link)

Castle In The Sky (Link)

Spirited Away (Link)

Princess Mononoke (Link)

Oh My Goddess Vol 1 (Link)

Oh My Goddess Vol 2 (Link)

Generator Gawl
Vol. 1 (Link)

Please Teacher Boxed Set Collection + CD (Link)

Mezzo Forte Uncut (Link)

R.O.D -The TV-

Vol 1 + Limited Collector's Edition (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Burn-Up Scramble: Complete Boxset (Link)

Millennium Actress (Link)

Please Twins - Three's Company (Vol. 1) + Series Box and Collectables (Link)

Wedding Peach
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 + Box (Link)
Vol 7 (Link)

Fruits Basket Box Set (Link)

Anyhow, thank you all for your time and responses. :)

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Your wife had you collect Mezzo Forte and Ikki Tousen? Nice lady. :)[/QUOTE]

It was our collection... So some of it is probably a bit more aimed at me. ;)

Out of curiosity, can anyone give me a rough estimate what my R.O.D. TV collector box + Vol 1 would be worth out in the wild...? I had someone ask about it but I'm seeing 20 in trade from Amazon and someone trying to get 69 dollars for a used one. (Link)

I finally got around to watching episode 7 of Attack on Titan. Remember what I said earlier about episode seven? Move that to episode 8 :D

@Inmate - Honestly, the best way to figure out fmv on this stuff is to check eBay for closed listings, and other used dvd stores. The full sets and the collectible stuff (like ROD) you should have no problems with. However, you'll probably find that it'll be tough when trying to sell the individual volumes. The hardest things to get rid of are middle volumes of a series (followed shortly by first volumes) because there's such a narrow group of people looking for them.

Worst case scenario on the individuals though, you can always save them for $5 coupons during Best Buy's next Upgrade and Save. That's where all of my random volumes end up :D

Nintendo is strategizing Pokemon X and Y like never before. The other three series debuted as close to a month beforehand, but the X and Y anime will be debuting in October. No info was given, but I doubt Iris and Cilan will be making the trip.

Curious if Ash will be getting another design overhaul.

[quote name='Gden']Anyone else wishing they would finally make Ash officially a teenager?[/QUOTE]

They were writing him as a teenager in DP, but his age reset in BW.

At this point, Ash will grow up when Bart Simpson grows up.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']Anybody watching Aku no Hana (AKA - The evil flower) ? Its on crunchy-roll[/QUOTE]
I read the manga, but the art style of the anime bugged me so I never checked it out.

Does anyone here still subscribe to Shonen Jump Alpha and if you do, which series do you read? I am enjoying Cross Barrage and Nisekoi. One Punch Man is...odd.

Started watching Naruto again after what a four year break.. Just started season two of shippuden
As someone who also hasn't seen it since the original series, is it worth it? I've been haphazardly reading the manga, so it would be nice to get back into it not just for the fights.

Started watching Naruto again after what a four year break.. Just started season two of shippuden
As someone who also hasn't seen it since the original series, is it worth it? I've been haphazardly reading the manga, so it would be nice to get back into it not just for the fights.
It is up and down. The first two arcs in the anime suffer from horrible padding due to trying to avoid filler. A couple arcs after that it enters its dark period (in Western eyes anyway) as it focuses on Sasuke and Naruto has a certain moment that made Western fans go batshit crazy. The Pain arc is really good, until the finale. The current arc in the manga (which is split into several smaller arcs a la the Hueco Mundo arc in Bleach) has had its ups and downs but is mostly positive and gives a crapton of backstory to the Hidden Leaf, the former Hokages, and the Uchiha clan.

Whether you can take the battles depends on your suspension of disbelief limit. If you thought the power levels got crazy at the end of DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho, you are NOT going to like Shippuden. Let's just say that the Neji/Naruto battle is about the level of Mook vs. Mook in the current art. Oh, and Kishimoto is channeling his inner Tomino.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yeah I agree, when Naruto was good it was epic. I would literally watch episodes one after another non-stop. However fillers were pretty annoyinh. I must of skipped like 20-30 episodes towards the end due to filler. Shippuden seems okay at the moment though.

Not trying to be a nuisance but with the forum move and news on new consoles I just want to make sure that anyone interested in my stuff please contact me before its, well, gone...

One thing of note... If you get a PM from me (obviously, because I'm replying to you) at least be polite enough and reply back... Its really all I ask.

I was suggested that I post this in another thread I had started.... Anyhow, sometime in the mid 2000s my wife and I decided we should watch/collect Amine so we did just that.... The collect part, not so much the watch part. I have three boxes of anime. Some of its sealed but most of its not sealed... but pretty much all of its not been watched. It is all on DVD. (Original DVDs)

Anyhow, its been taking up space for too long... and its time to move it out.

So, besides asking you all is their any resources I can look at to figure out fair market value for this stuff?

Trade Thread Link (Note: I'm more than willing to look at trade lists...)

Trade List
All this stuff is for trade/sale but right now I'm more of trying to just get it documented...
(edit: Okay its all listed.)

Noir (Missing Vol 1, NMV)
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 7 (Link)

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum
Vol1 + Box (Link) (Box is banged up, came that way off of retail shelf.)

Get Backers
Vol 1 + Box (Link)

Real Bout High School Boxed Set (Link)

Gilgamesh
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)

Gungrave
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)

Peacemaker
Vol 1 + Box* (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)

Full Metal Panic!

Mission 1 + Box (Link)
Mission 3 (Link)
Mission 4 (Link)
Mission 5 (Link)
Mission 6 (Link)

Chrono Crusade
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)

Wolf's Rain
Vol 1 + Box (Link) * CD found Toy still missing
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)
Vol 7 (Link)

Scrapped Princess
Vol 1 + Figure (Link)

Mezzo

Shell 1 + Box (Link)
Shell 2 (Link)
Shell 3 (Link)

Gravion - Divine Steel
Vol 2 (Link) (x2)

Gantz
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)

Rurouni Kenshin Wandering Samurai Premium Box 1 (Link)

Rurouni Kenshin Legend of Kyoto Premium Box 2 (Link)

Dragon Ball Z - Uncut Movie Boxed Set (Dead Zone/The Tree of Might/The World's Strongest) (Link)

Madlax
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)

Tenjho Tenge
Round One + Box (Link)

The Devil Lady
Vol 1 (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)

Rahxephon
The Motion Picture + Series Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)

Stellvia
Vol 1 + Tin Box (Link) (Tin includes all the plastic holders for Vols 1-8)
Vol 2 (Link)

Last Exile
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)
Vol 7 (Link)

Texhnolyze
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)

Perfect Blue (Link)

Ai Yori Aoshi - Faithfully Yours
Vol. 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)

Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Black Rose Saga (Link)

Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Rose Collection/The Movie Boxed Set (Link)

Revolutionary Girl Utena - The Apocalypse Sega (Link)

Ikki Tousen -
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)

Love Hina
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 (Link)

Love Hina Agaun (Link)

Dragon Ball: The Saga of Goku
Vol. 1 (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)

Megazone 23
Vol 1 + Box (No Mouse Pad) (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)

Ninja Scroll (10th Anniversary Edition) (Link)

Ghost in the Shell (Special Edition) (Link)

Ghost in the Shell 2 (Link)

Requiem from the Darkness - Turmoil of the Flesh (Vol. 1) (Link)

Aquarian Age - Sign For Evolution
Vol 1 (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)

His And Her Circumstances Vol 1-5 + Box (Link)

Kiki's Delivery Service (Link)

Castle In The Sky (Link)

Spirited Away (Link)

Princess Mononoke (Link)

Oh My Goddess Vol 1 (Link)

Oh My Goddess Vol 2 (Link)

Generator Gawl
Vol. 1 (Link)

Please Teacher Boxed Set Collection + CD (Link)

Mezzo Forte Uncut (Link)

R.O.D -The TV-

Vol 1 + Limited Collector's Edition (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Burn-Up Scramble: Complete Boxset (Link)

Millennium Actress (Link)

Please Twins - Three's Company (Vol. 1) + Series Box and Collectables (Link)

Wedding Peach
Vol 1 + Box (Link)
Vol 2 (Link)
Vol 3 (Link)
Vol 4 (Link)
Vol 5 (Link)
Vol 6 + Box (Link)
Vol 7 (Link)

Fruits Basket Box Set (Link)

Anyhow, thank you all for your time and responses. :)

Does anyone here still subscribe to Shonen Jump Alpha and if you do, which series do you read? I am enjoying Cross Barrage and Nisekoi. One Punch Man is...odd.
I do. Of course I read all the series, but because as a kid I was a huge Shonen Jump tournament fan (Kinnikuman, St. Seiya, Dragonball, etc.) my favorites are still stuff like One Piece and Naruto, and now Toriko. Nisekoi just annoys me, but that may be because I have no idea what's going on (I had a similar problem with Rise of the Yokai), so it may make more sense after it picks up. I like Cross Game and World Trigger. Actually, the one I really have no interest in is that Yugioh series, and even the Kenshin remake I was lackluster about (and I love Kenshin).

One Punch Man is actually a web/digital comic, which is why it has these odd transitions, but I've always been a fan of the artist and the series is quirky.

Seems like Gantz is finally ending, but Attack on Titan is getting pretty good...

The only series I really don't like is Toriko. Just never got into it.

Not sure how you can not understand Nisekoi. The gang wars thing that pops up every few chapters is one thing, but the majority of the chapters are episodic romcom chapters.

Naruto and Bleach have gotten really good lately. I like how the characters in Naruto are actually using their heads and not pulling out super jutsu out of their ass every other chapter. It doesn't hurt that certain characters returning brought a smile to my face. As for Bleach, this feels like the arc Kubo initially wanted to make after Soul Society, as it is tying pretty much every hanging plot thread together.

Expecting a happy ending out of an anime from that man is like expecting Niea under 7 to make any goddamn sense.  Although, that show is a relatively happy anime from that guy.

bread's done
Back