Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

So, I am watching the KC Grand Championship arc of Yu-Gi-Oh, and the one episode has a no-name extra trapped Dueling a Level 5 computer opponent, forcing Yugi to step in. And I'm looking at the kid and he looks like a more plain version of Jaden! Dunno if it was a rejected prototype or what.

So, I am watching the KC Grand Championship arc of Yu-Gi-Oh, and the one episode has a no-name extra trapped Dueling a Level 5 computer opponent, forcing Yugi to step in. And I'm looking at the kid and he looks like a more plain version of Jaden! Dunno if it was a rejected prototype or what.
Are you rewatching the whole series?

Whoa, thought this thread was dead.

Anyways, what are people's thoughts on soon to be last season's shows? I just finished Mekaku City Actors, which I found mildly disappointing (though enjoyable to watch). Looking for something new to start since I missed a lot and haven't seen much chatter about any of them either.

Anyways, what are people's thoughts on soon to be last season's shows? I just finished Mekaku City Actors, which I found mildly disappointing (though enjoyable to watch). Looking for something new to start since I missed a lot and haven't seen much chatter about any of them either.
I liked One Week friends a lot. Thats all I watched except the first ep of mahouka, which was full of bullshit.

Just Season 5, since I just got it in.
I can't imagine watching anymore yugioh, I grew out of it.

i am watching tokyo ghoul, Akame ga KILL, Barakamon.

I can't imagine watching anymore yugioh, I grew out of it.
I enjoy the canon parts of the show (mostly Battle City and Millennium World, though some parts of Duelist Kingdom are cool), but never got into GX or Zexal. Liked the first two arcs of 5D's, but never finished the show.

No Game No Life was hands down the best show from last season. The irregular at magic high school is also decent and is still on going.... I am failing to remember what else came out last season at this time lol

No Game No Life was hands down the best show from last season. The irregular at magic high school is also decent and is still on going.... I am failing to remember what else came out last season at this time lol
i agree with no game no life.

there was tons of mecha shows last year and this year: captain earth, buddy complex, M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane, Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen, Aldnoah zero, knights of sidonia

Other shows like, black bullet. Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara, Hitsugi no Chaika, Selector Infected WIXOSS, Akuma no Riddle ( similar vibe to Danganronpa), Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, Gokukoku no Brynhildr ( similar to Elfen lied ), Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin

i used http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1112367 for upcoming anime shows

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got done watching Inferno Cop which is hands down the best anime I've seen in years! I wish they stop teasing about the sequel and just do it already and am looking forward to the director's next show Ninja Slayer which is going be awesome. Also started Flowers of Evil;now I really like the animation,but it comes off really lazy at points with background characters being just static images.

From last season I'd recommend Baby Steps, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, Haikyuu!!, Isshuukan Friends, Ping Pong the Animation, and Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii. I dropped Mahouka and No Game No Life and some other things.

I didn't watch much of last season, but No Game No Life was fun. My big problem is the brother/sister thing. Plus the fact that the sister is like 11. Those forced panty shots don't help much with the obvious "parts" showing. I roll my eyes every time I see that shit. Other than that I liked it.

Lastly my daughter is getting into Pretty Cure. I bought her a plush character from the anime while in Japan (not knowing what the hell it was) then she went to a friends b-day party and they were giving out PreCure cards as party favors. She wanted to know more about it so I researched and watched a couple episodes online with her. I know the orginal episodes can be watched on Crunchyroll and Hulu +. I'm trying to find a way to watch the new stuff on my TV.

I didn't watch much of last season, but No Game No Life was fun. My big problem is the brother/sister thing. Plus the fact that the sister is like 11. Those forced those panty shots don't help much with the obvious "parts" showing. I roll my eyes every time I see that shit. Other than that I liked it.

Lastly my daughter is getting into Pretty Cure. I bought here a plush character from the anime while in Japan (not knowing what the hell it was) then she went to a friends b-day party and they were giving out PreCure cards as party favors. She wanted to know more about it so I researched and watched a couple episodes online with her.
I assume you mean the new ones, and not the original:

189760.jpg

Gundam Unicorn Part 4 is coming to DVD on October 7th.

EDIT: Watched Part 3 of FUNi's DBZ Legacy videos on YouTube, and they have an old newscast from the mid 90's where two newscasters are talking about the show and they call Jonny Quest Japanese.

Finished up Tiger & Bunny tonight, I enjoyed the crap out of it.  Funny thing is the flamboyant character usually bugs the crap out of me, but in show, he's my favorite character, probably because he's not obnoxiously flamboyant, and he gets the best lines.

NGNL was very enjoyable for me, I liked watching how they went about each game and the art was really nice. I watched Hanayamata and also really liked the way Madhouse handled the color too. Last season was really good and I pretty much had something to look forward to every day. I also watched Oreimo, Haganai and My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. Also decided to rewatch DeathNote since it's been a few years and it was my first Anime that asides from Dragonball Z and Naruto.

I need to pay attention to RightStuf more. Their YouTube channel, nozomient, has most of their shows up in both dubbed (if available) and subbed format.

So, I was thinking about selling my old Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs and getting the Blu-ray set, but I have to ask. What is the dub on the set? Is it the Animax dub (which is apparently awful) or is it a brand new dub?

So, I was thinking about selling my old Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs and getting the Blu-ray set, but I have to ask. What is the dub on the set? Is it the Animax dub (which is apparently awful) or is it a brand new dub?
it should be what ever previous dub did all of the episodes.

That's the thing. The Cardcaptors dub had too many visual edits to sync up well, and apparently Madman had several legal issues getting the Animax dub on the Australian release.

It's the Animax dub.

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/461655044127854592

EDIT: Bah. Twitter links don't show for me for some reason. Here's the link (remove the spaces): https: // twitter.com /worldofcrap/status/461655044127854592

Damn. Watched the first episode on YouTube and the voices are just as bad as Nelvana's.

I wish NIS had done a brand new dub using the Movie 2 cast. :/

Damn. Watched the first episode on YouTube and the voices are just as bad as Nelvana's.

I wish NIS had done a brand new dub using the Movie 2 cast. :/
You are lucky there is any dub at all. NisA doesn't exactly have a long history of dubbing anime, and it would be a huge commitment to redub the entire series. It's also not like there will be a huge demand for the series either. While there are fans of CCS it doesn't seem to have such a die hard following that an expensive set like this will sell well at all, so NisA shouldn't increase risk by spending money on a new dub.

Started watching Gintama. I wanted to start a long anime that I can binge view like 4 or 5 episodes a night. I like it so far, but is it worth sticking with?

Well I just finished binge watching Attack On Titan and Knights of Sidonia. Haven't watched anime in years, felt pretty refreshing haha.
i also watched knights of sidonia. i got alot of dead space vibe from it for some reason.

Just finished Flowers of Evil and I gotta say it's an excellent adaptation. As someone who read the manga first I can honestly that I enjoy the rotoscope look more; Yeah it could've used more work,but it fits the story more and the manga art is extremely generic to me.As for the show I really looked the direction which was excellent and the music when used also great.Also was very impressed by the amount of detail put into the backgrounds which puts so many other shows to shame.Shame it will never get another season,but hopefully it get's some live action ones which is honestly the best fit for this story.

So I'm 3 episodes into Madoka Magica. It looks like monty python makes an Anime when they go into the witch zone. hehe.

I have a feeling that little cat thing is evil (way too pushy to get them into a contract) and that the magic girls will turn into witches if their gem stones get too cloudy. They foreshadowed with the witch seed or whatever taking away the cloudiness. It seems like a logical progression.

This seems like an Anime for girls like sailor moon or something, but I will watch it anyway.

So I'm 3 episodes into Madoka Magica. It looks like monty python makes an Anime when they go into the witch zone. hehe.

I have a feeling that little cat thing is evil (way too pushy to get them into a contract) and that the magic girls will turn into witches if their gem stones get too cloudy. They foreshadowed with the witch seed or whatever taking away the cloudiness. It seems like a logical progression.

This seems like an Anime for girls like sailor moon or something, but I will watch it anyway.
[customspoiler='spoiler']You are too good at predictions.[/customspoiler]

Hah! That's funny.

...Hey, wait. What's wrong with Sailor Moon? >:(
usagi's voice.... her terrible terrible japanese voice @________________________@

it's like the voice actress is trying her best to make the most annoying sounding 6 year old ever while still being painfully obvious she is no where near 14 years old @_@

note: I am basing this off the sailor moon crystal voice, which is done by the same voice actress as the original... and I hear sounds simliar to the original, but I don't have the motivation to compare something that gave me a headache >.>;

I'm sure DBZ purists will set me a flame at the stake for this but I always hated Goku's Japanese voice. When he made the transition to a man they really should've changed it. In fact overall I like most of DBZ dub over Japan's. I guess because I grew up on it.

I think the sub vs dub debate shouldnt really matter anymore. You used to have to choose between the two on VHS and I would always choose sub. I would prefer as close to the literal Japanese as possible. Since the subs aren't literal anymore and the dubs are changed to sync with the picture, neither one other than original Japanese is "pure". Of course you need to speak Japanese in order to view it that way. It really just comes down to personal preference. Now that computer animation is in use, I prefer dubs since it is hard to follow the action and read at the same time. There are a lot more cheats into play like jump cuts, that can be too fast to catch while reading.

I wish there was a universal closed captioning format or at least choices in text color/screen position, like language selection in order to customize the text for the viewer. If I am watching a movie that is in widescreen on a fullscreen TV, the text should be displayed in the black bar on the bottom, not over the picture. I would think the technology would be here by now, but I find trying to read subs over the picture to be frustrating in this day and age.

I'm sure DBZ purists will set me a flame at the stake for this but I always hated Goku's Japanese voice. When he made the transition to a man they really should've changed it. In fact overall I like most of DBZ dub over Japan's. I guess because I grew up on it.
I am in total agreement... it's why despite being a huge dbz fan I can't wait the new series of kai or the new movies until they get released in english :/

In most cases sub/dub I don't really care but I can't remotely stand goku in japanese (and apparently I can't stand usagi in sailor moon in japanese either :p)

I have two rules for good dubs: 

1. The VA is easy to understand. If there are times where I can't make out what they are saying since the voice is too high or too low  (the original Funi dubbed Capt. Ginyu did this a lot) then I don't like the voice acting. 

2. Mouth flaps at least look like they are talking correctly. If you want a great example of this done horribly wrong, watch the English dub of Pilot Candidate.

I personally prefer dubs over subs, but I have nothing against subs and like to watch them later on to see a more literal translation of the material (if the subtitles exists like most of Funimation does).

I personally prefer dubs over subs, but I have nothing against subs and like to watch them later on to see a more literal translation of the material (if the subtitles exists like most of Funimation does).
Weird, I'm completely opposite. I prefer subs the first time. Then if it's on Adult Swim, I already know the details that dubs usually skip out on.

Well at least now Usagi sounds like a teen in the new dub.  I still remember watching that old dub and thinking "why does Sailor Moon sound like she's in her 30's-40's?".

Did a marathon of the last 16 episodes of Shakugan no Shana S2 last night.  That really felt like a throwaway season compared to the 1st season.  As it really didn't have as much development to compared to the previous season.  Now gotta wait for Amazon to deliver the OVA set to me and eventually get around to ordering Season 3.  Heard that the movie is just a retread of the 1st arc of S1 w/ a few new things, so not even going to bother with it.

Kinda finished Sword Art Online tonight. I hated the second arc so I just skipped a couple episodes just to see how it would end. It just felt pointless to watch. The first arc was alright, not great, but not bad either. It probably would have been a lot better if they added a couple episodes for development. Apparently the sequel started airing, I don't really know what to expect from that. 

Kinda finished Sword Art Online tonight. I hated the second arc so I just skipped a couple episodes just to see how it would end. It just felt pointless to watch. The first arc was alright, not great, but not bad either. It probably would have been a lot better if they added a couple episodes for development. Apparently the sequel started airing, I don't really know what to expect from that.
the story arc for the sequel, which would be sword art online II, has very little to no romance at all. and no crazy stuff like the second arc in sword art online

[customspoiler='spoiler']You are too good at predictions.[/customspoiler]
I finished the first disc.
It seems like the black haired girl is from the future. Maybe a future self of the pink haired girl? IDK. It seems like she cares about the main character too much to not be related in some way.

Hah! That's funny.

...Hey, wait. What's wrong with Sailor Moon? >:(
Nothing. Just girlie. ;)

bread's done
Back