Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Monster Musume is such a masterpiece :rofl:

1438707151127.gif

Anyone have recommendations similar to Serial Experiments Lain or Death Note? I haven't been able to get into much anime lately (loved it when I was still young enough to be in the shonen demographic), but those two I really enjoyed. Really interesting, unique stories.
Have you seen Monster? It seems to fit the bill.

I need to watch Planetes. I keep forgetting about that one. I always here good things about it.

I'm kinda into harem at the moment. Started watching Haganai and I like it.

And I was in an "old school" mood last night and watched some episodes of Kinnikuman. I forgot how silly that show was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got out from seeing Resurrection F. It was...OK. As other reviews out there have said, the movie as a whole lacks a lot of tension as it has a pretty similar feel to the Jump 2008 Anime Festival episode. The fights were OK, but not as good as Battle of Gods and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan annoys the hell out of me. The fight between Freeza's men and the non-Saiyans just felt weird since the gang actually needed to use Senzu beans. And Gohan is downright pathetic now.

However, Jaco was awesome from beginning to end. I hope he shows up in Super.

Well, he probably will since the series is just going to retell this movie anyways.

So Super is cannon, right? And the movies are more like commercials for this new series?

Super is going to retell Battle of Gods and Resurrection F before moving on with a dimension-hopping arc. Episode 3 has Beerus find out about Goku and zooming off to King Kai's Planet.

Have you seen Monster? It seems to fit the bill.

I need to watch Planetes. I keep forgetting about that one. I always here good things about it.

I'm kinda into harem at the moment. Started watching Haganai and I like it.

And I was in an "old school" mood last night and watched some episodes of Kinnikuman. I forgot how silly that show was.
I've seen an episode or two of Monster. Seemed pretty good; I don't know why I stopped watching it, but I'll have to check it out again.

Thanks all for the recommendations. :)

Bleach. Finished the arrancar saga. Kinda anticlimactic. Reminded me of the frieza saga with all the power ups and form changes.

I figured
Gin would betray aizen at some point, but I didn't think he was a "good guy"

Bleach. Finished the arrancar saga. Kinda anticlimactic. Reminded me of the frieza saga with all the power ups and form changes.

I figured
Gin would betray aizen at some point, but I didn't think he was a "good guy"
Yea, it's your typical shounen power-up to infinity manga.

The only part I liked about the end was the whole
Aizen can't feel his aura cause it was so vast. Reminded me of the book Good Omens, where a similar thing is described in the first couple of pages.

I found some things of note perusing the Amazon Warehouse today.

There's a Like New copy of Haganai Next limited edition for $33.

"Item may come repackaged" might scare you off, but here's a $66 copy of One Piece Treasure chest 3 (the 3rd amazon exclusive bundle).

Steins;Gate complete series for $24.

Black Lagoon for $23.

Soul Eater for $27

Also, in the realm of "why?" is this $3 copy of Berserk vol 6 (there's also some other Berserk things that I didn't bother linking; v2-$50, v3-$16, v5-$34, and a $56 copy of the Dreamcast game).

Edit:  Ha!  wrong thread from my notifications.  Well, now you've been told too ;)

Hagani ep.5-10

Sena is the best girl. I wonder if this series has a clear winner by the end, but please don't spoil it.

1. Biggest rack

2. Rich as fuck

3. Already has dad's approval

4. Both dad's were old friends 

5. Unlike Yozora she tries harder to be nice to her rival

6. Doesn't play mean pranks on the other members

7. Has had more alone time with MC so they've shared more moments.

All Yozora has going for her is a speculation that she's
MC's lost child hood friend
Plus nobody else has a chance. He can't stand Rika, one's a dude and the other two are little sisters.

I really wish I knew what "omake" meant 150 episodes ago. I was wondering what happened to the illustrated guide of soul reapers. I always thought it meant extra art, not just "extra" in general. oh well too lazy to go back and watch them all.

Haven't kept up with Dragonball Super. Decided to pick it back up with Episode 4.

...Wow. Haven't seen animation that bad since Gurren Lagann's Episode 4.

EDIT: And Episode 5 is almost as bad.

Haven't kept up with Dragonball Super. Decided to pick it back up with Episode 4.

...Wow. Haven't seen animation that bad since Gurren Lagann's Episode 4.

EDIT: And Episode 5 is almost as bad.
1439163899933.png
1439145619340.jpg

fucking hilarious.Not surprising that Toei doesn't give shit,since they know it'll print money anyway.

Today's episode of Gangsta. is great like usually. A lot of character development,and shit is gonna hit the fan soon.

Wow... that looks horrendous. It looks like 90's Hanna Barbara trying to do DBZ.

Charlotte took a dark turn in episode 5. I have a feeling this show's going to get crazy.

Is Rokka any good?

Jonathan Clements, author of the Anime Encyclopedia, has written an article about post-War Japan in terms of the bombs and manga. http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/8/8/manga-and-the-bomb.html Barefoot Gen, the most well known anti-war manga, continues to face challenges even today, as its author continued to fight against the revisionist historians who try to get his book removed from libraries in the country. Nakazawa passed away in 2012, but the fight continues.

Jonathan Clements, author of the Anime Encyclopedia, has written an article about post-War Japan in terms of the bombs and manga. http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/8/8/manga-and-the-bomb.html Barefoot Gen, the most well known anti-war manga, continues to face challenges even today, as its author continued to fight against the revisionist historians who try to get his book removed from libraries in the country. Nakazawa passed away in 2012, but the fight continues.
I heard about this a while back. I watched Barefoot Gen as a kid and it was an experience. Never saw anything like it before.

It's a shame that politics in Japan are trying to whitewash history. They try so hard to hold onto "the victim card" and lie through their teeth about the war atrocities they committed. China is still waiting for their apology. I could go on and on but this is a topic for another thread.

I can't wait to watch episode 5 now. Is Toei outsourcing from Kazakhstan?
It's supposedly going to get the Sailor Moon Crystal treatment, where they'll fix the errors when the DVD/BR versions are released. Still, don't know if it's due to the time constraints or digital animation. But that looks horrible for an anime series released in 2015.

If you live in the Baltimore area, the Charles Theater is doing an Anime Night promotion. I am as shocked as you are.

Yesterday was Evangelion: Death and Rebirth.

8/19 - Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion

8/26 - Summer Wars

9/3 - Kiki's Delivery Service

9/23 - Fist of the North Star

10/20 - Boruto: the Movie

If you live in the Baltimore area, the Charles Theater is doing an Anime Night promotion. I am as shocked as you are.

Yesterday was Evangelion: Death and Rebirth.

8/19 - Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion

8/26 - Summer Wars

9/3 - Kiki's Delivery Service

9/23 - Fist of the North Star

10/20 - Boruto: the Movie
best movie ever

Wondered why I don't remember their fighting each other. Anime filler, that's why.
I highly recommend that episode and possibly a few before and after. I don't skip anything when I watch a series. When I was a true purest, I would only watch subs, but now I go for dubs. Too hard to watch the action and read.

Planetes

16 episodes in. It was a slow start but after the characters get fleshed out more it's great.I'd really like to see more anime like this. Adult focused, dealing with heavy issues yet with some lighthearted/comedic moments as well. Also It reminds me so much of Space Brothers which I love. Can't wait to watch more later.

No mention of one of the few shows to do hard sci-fi correctly?

While the story and characters are great, it's all the attention to detail in regards to space and astronauts that puts it over the top for me.

No mention of one of the few shows to do hard sci-fi correctly?

While the story and characters are great, it's all the attention to detail in regards to space and astronauts that puts it over the top for me.
What show is that? Drawing a blank?

Like you those little details really make it that much more amazing. For example: silent explosions in space. fuck you Hollywood.

Dragon Ball Super   6-7  

This is a guilty pleasure of mine. The quality is laughable and its just a retelling of BoG but I'm still enjoying it. It's new Dragon Ball and that in itself is pretty amazing. But I'm really sad to see Gohan being such a bitch. At this point should he be way more powerful than Goku and Vegeta and he gets floored by one slap. Still Beerus is an intresting character.

Charollete 7-8

Shit.... this got really dark.
I totally did think Ayumi was going to die

Working!!! 7-8

It's good to see things wrapping up but I'm guessing we wont see a 4th season. The only things we have left are Taka & Inami becoming a couple. Sato & Yachiyo solidifying their relationship. And maybe Popura growing an inch or two.

Monster 1-20

I never finished this one so I decided to start from the beginning. Been watching it for a week now and I really needed something like this.

Monster 1-20

I never finished this one so I decided to start from the beginning. Been watching it for a week now and I really needed something like this.
I am always amazed at how well that show is paced. I love how the show never really strays too far from the core story, while giving most characters an appropriate amount of backstory and characterization.

I am always amazed at how well that show is paced. I love how the show never really strays too far from the core story, while giving most characters an appropriate amount of backstory and characterization.
I'll confess I feel some of it is a bit slow, but like you said it always comes back to the main story. Right now I'm 35 episodes in and it's damn good. However with a show like this I can only take it in small bursts. It's really hard for me to binge watch for some reason. Maybe because the subject matter is so serious and it goes length in telling everyone's (even minor characters) back stories.

Just relized "My Love Story" (Ore Monogatari) is almost done. Only a few more episodes. I really liked this rom/com. I love how they bypass all the build of becoming a couple and just get to it.

Getting pretty far into Monster. I watched 8 episodes last night. I'm glued.

Anyone have suggestions for more adult oriented anime? Doesn't nessercarly have to have violence or sex but something geared for adults without the high school element. Examples like Monster, Space Brother, Planetes.

Just relized "My Love Story" (Ore Monogatari) is almost done. Only a few more episodes. I really liked this rom/com. I love how they bypass all the build of becoming a couple and just get to it.

Anyone have suggestions for more adult oriented anime? Doesn't nessercarly have to have violence or sex but something geared for adults without the high school element. Examples like Monster, Space Brother, Planetes.
-Texhnolyze

-The Eccentric Family

-Kino's Journey

Wings of Honneamise

Witch Hunter Robin

Giant Robo

bread's done
Back