Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Sorry for double post but I wanted to share I decided to re-watch ReLife. I only remember bits and pieces since I binged it so I would feel lost  jumping into the finale. I feel like I'm watching it for the first time. Great show and can't wait to get to the finale. But I do remember the twist and the way Hishiro acts makes total sense.

I dont know if any of you watched Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad back in the 90s (starring Matthew Lawrence LOL). Don't know wtf I'm talking about? Here is the cheesy OP.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0[/media]

But last year, at AX 2017, Trigger announced an anime based on the source material, Gridman. 

Here is a teaser and I am super hyped. Its called SSSS Gridman.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiOUwl0vm9o&feature=youtu.be[/media]

It doesn't look like Matthew Lawrence also had large chested girls in his middle school like the anime dude does. I suppose it could be high school?

I am super stoked about this announcement...too bad the teaser choked on YouTube. I think this is either the last or 2nd to last arc in the books? I never followed/read them, but I do recall there only being a couple arcs after GGO.

Aniplex announced today on March 24 that Sword Art Online: Alicization, the upcoming third TV anime adaptation of Reki Kawahara's sci-fi action adventure light novel series Sword Art Online, is set to premiere in October 2018. The latest adaptation is based on the novel's fourth arc told from its ninth to 14th volumes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look like Matthew Lawrence also had large chested girls in his middle school like the anime dude does. I suppose it could be high school?

I am super stoked about this announcement...too bad the teaser choked on YouTube. I think this is either the last or 2nd to last arc in the books? I never followed/read them, but I do recall there only being a couple arcs after GGO.

Aniplex announced today on March 24 that Sword Art Online: Alicization, the upcoming third TV anime adaptation of Reki Kawahara's sci-fi action adventure light novel series Sword Art Online, is set to premiere in October 2018. The latest adaptation is based on the novel's fourth arc told from its ninth to 14th volumes.
Pretty sure its gunna be highschool

Alicaization starts right after GGO. The Alicization Arc is the largest and longest running arc, having recently finished this year. I am excited for it as I was hoping it would get adapted. The new LN Arc hasn't started afaik.

Glad to hear that arc is well-regarded. I hope we get a lot of episodes for it since it seems quite large/long. DB Super ended today and it was fantastic. Ahhhh, so happy that DB has been put back onto it's pedestal of shounen greatness. Hopefully we'll get some similarly great follow ups at some point.

Finally got caught up to this/last week's episodes.  Well, all except for Beatless.  Has it gotten any more coherent since that recap episode?  I haven't even opened the show's page since then.

Franxx episode 10 spoiler:

Of all the possible horrors I was bracing myself for seeing underneath the giant white lampshade hats, being really really old was not one of them

I dont know if any of you watched Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad back in the 90s (starring Matthew Lawrence LOL). Don't know wtf I'm talking about? Here is the cheesy OP.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0[/media]

But last year, at AX 2017, Trigger announced an anime based on the source material, Gridman.

Here is a teaser and I am super hyped. Its called SSSS Gridman.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiOUwl0vm9o&feature=youtu.be[/media]
That's the kid from Ms. Doubtfire. Mind blown...

And damn that intro just reeks of the 90's. It's actually kinda awesome.

So the latest Overlord....tell me this doesn't turn into some sort of bizarre harem anime. Some of the comments on CR hinted at the next episode being amazing based on the novels. Can't wait. How far along in the light novels are we here? Are we going to get a pleasant "Overlord continuing in the fall!" after next episode or do more novels need to be released before they can do more anime?

Harem? No. Lol.

Ainz doesnt care about those girls. Maybe Albedo but he figured there is no point since he a skeleton.

Anime is ending at Volume 6.

Harem? No. Lol.

Ainz doesnt care about those girls. Maybe Albedo but he figured there is no point since he a skeleton.

Anime is ending at Volume 6.
Quick googling shows that's about halfway through what's been released, so plenty to roll with...let's hope we get a "continued" next week then!

I still have to wait a week on Overlord as I'm a poor member of the anime proletariat. Episode 11 was great though.

We have seen a few instances already where Ainz gets a tranquilizing effect whenever he starts to become overly emotional, so even if they stray from the source material I'm guessing you're safe.

ReLife was really fun. Glad I did a re-watch of it. The ending was kinda forced but still some nice closure.
The anime ending switched it around.

They meet/remember each other first through the phone straps before he goes on to do the Relife thing

So now that another season has come to a close, what was everyone's favorite show?

I think mine are:

1. A Place Further than the Universe
  2. Overlord (is that cheating?)
  3. Citrus

Honorable mentions to Violet Evergarden (I think it only has 1 episode left?). CC Sakura Clear Card is still on-going, so I'll save it for next season and I won't mention DB Super since it's > all.

I will cheat a little and say that A.I.C.O. Incarnation (Netflix) was fantastic, definitely up there. B: The Beginning (also Netflix) was an interesting show too, though not amazing. Maybe a 6/10. There was also some "Whale of the Desert" show on Netflix that I really liked a lot. I don't know when it came out though. I suppose Netflix shows aren't really cheating are they since it's just another avenue of watching them.

So now that another season has come to a close, what was everyone's favorite show?

I think mine are:

1. A Place Further than the Universe
  2. Overlord (is that cheating?)
  3. Citrus

Honorable mentions to Violet Evergarden (I think it only has 1 episode left?). CC Sakura Clear Card is still on-going, so I'll save it for next season and I won't mention DB Super since it's > all.

I will cheat a little and say that A.I.C.O. Incarnation (Netflix) was fantastic, definitely up there. B: The Beginning (also Netflix) was an interesting show too, though not amazing. Maybe a 6/10. There was also some "Whale of the Desert" show on Netflix that I really liked a lot. I don't know when it came out though. I suppose Netflix shows aren't really cheating are they since it's just another avenue of watching them.
I'm a bit behind. I haven't finished all my shows this season only Overlord, School Babysitters, Laid-Back Camp. But so far I'd say

1. Place Further than the Universe

2. After the Rain

3. School Babysitters

4. Laid Back Camp

5. Overlord

After the Rain & Further Than the Universe might switch depending how both shows end. I really didn't watch too many action shows this season. I just wanted to watch more laid back shows. I did watch some of Devilman but it's pretty crazy. Not sure hoe I feel about it 6 episodes in.

I see March Lion wrapped up. I've been enjoying this one for the last couple years. Sad to see it go.

I've found that the shogi parts were pretty crappy and the parts w/ the family were awesome. I don't think I'd recommend that show to anyone as it stands now. If it ever finishes up, then maybe it'd be worthy.

This wasn't my favorite season of Overlord, but we'll see if the final "battle" bumps it up. There's something different about this season of Dagashi Kashi in what I've seen so far as well. It's not a knock against either of them. I enjoyed both shows, it's just that I liked their previous seasons more.

I hung around with Killing Bites, but it never really drew me in. Beatless was the only show I dropped completely.

So I guess that just leaves Death March, Franxx, and Grancrest War. Unless something changes with last week's episodes, I'd say my favorite was Grancrest War. If for no other reason than I was genuinely unhappy with the events at the end.

I had one feeling when Overlord ended today, another when I went on ANN and found out we get our next batch of episodes in July! Woohoo! That was a completely unsatisfying and lolworthy end to that season. Was this still pretty faithful to the LN? Some folks elsewhere seemed to think that things were heating up. I like it how they make no mention of how 
Gagaran and Tia (or whichever one that was) came back to life. I guess the captain chick rez'd them and they had been recovering? So unclear...

Anyways, looking forward to July!

I thought the episode was great and indeed it was true to the LN. The fate for Hilma was changed. In the original, she was infested by insects and was never healed

The two who died were revived by their pretty leader at the cost of five levels.

The teaser at the end just screamed S3

I thought the episode was great and indeed it was true to the LN. The fate for Hilma was changed. In the original, she was infested by insects and was never healed

The two who died were revived by their pretty leader at the cost of five levels.

The teaser at the end just screamed S3
Who is Hilma?? -_- I need to re-watch it without my fear of no S3 to appreciate it. So were all the maids they showed later that looked like humans kidnapped people? I was a bit confused by that part. I also find it hilarious that Gilgamesh is the king of the other country. I mean, I don't think he's Gilgamesh, but jesus does the dude look like they just ripped him out of F/S Night and did some palette swapping.

Edit: OH! Now I remember....the blond chick that the elf boy whacked w/ his ghetto stick and had some monster dude eat her or something. She was never really there for anything other than JP otaku to jerk off to.

I've found that the shogi parts were pretty crappy and the parts w/ the family were awesome. I don't think I'd recommend that show to anyone as it stands now. If it ever finishes up, then maybe it'd be worthy.
I found the Shogi parts fun, but I actually know how to play and I'm familiar with most of the terms and techniques they use. I imagine to someone with no knowledge of shogi would find it boring.

After the Rain [END]

This ended nicely. I don't think many people in this thread watched this but I would recommend it for someone that wants a slice of life that wraps up nicely. But to be honest it started out stronger than it finished. Still I enjoyed it . 7.5/10 for me.

And I see a new Lupin started. Heck yea!!!

Only Tuare is the Human Maid. All those maids you see are homunculus that clean the Tomb. Not sure if they are combat capable like the Pleaides. But they are subordinate to them.

Hilma is an elite prostitute who controls the Drug Arm of Eight Fingers and wields a considerable amount of influence over the nobles. W/o, Nazarick would not had been able to easily take control of Eight Fingers. In the book, she is being eaten alive by insects and is slowly dying but is being used by Albedo for her influence to sway the nobles to their side.

I guess they healed her completely besides the mental damage

Only Tuare is the Human Maid. All those maids you see are homunculus that do generally take of the Tomb. Not sure if they are combat capable like the Pleaides. But they are subordinate to them.

Hilma is an elite prostitute who controls the Drug Arm of Eight Fingers and wields a considerable amount of influence over the nobles. W/o, Nazarick would not had been able to easily take control of Eight Fingers. In the book, she is being eaten alive by insects and is slowly dying but is being used Albedo for her influence to sway the nobles to their side.

I guess they healed her completely besides the mental damage
I guess they figured that scene would be too gruesome to show so they removed it and just had them talk about it. Good to know about the other maids

I started watching the new Tokyo Ghoul stuff. I'm very confused. Is this not a continuation of the last series? Did they skip a bunch of stuff?

I lost interest a few episodes in the second season. There's so many good shows out there. Drop it and watch something you enjoy. Like Samurai Pizza Cats or Sherlock Hound.
They totally flubbed Tokyo Ghoul Root A. They decided to do something completely different rather than follow the manga for Season 2. Had they done that, it would've been an easy lead in to RE

They totally flubbed Tokyo Ghoul Root A. They decided to do something completely different rather than follow the manga for Season 2. Had they done that, it would've been an easy lead in to RE
It's a shame since I really enjoyed the first season. That second season just felt weird and it lost me.

I've been waiting for a more appropriate post to follow the news about Isao Takahata, but it hasn't happened so here we are.

So I finished season 1 of Killing Bites, and I'm glad I stuck with it. There were a number of cringey things (Leo in ep12, for example), but the show never tried to be something it wasn't. I liked how the destroyal itself ended (ep11), and I'm looking forward to following Tasmanian Devil Girl and Beagle-Chan in season 2.

I wouldn't say it was my favorite of the season, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I posted that Takahata post very late, as I was surprised there wasn't anything in here about it before then, but I guess there's no Studio Ghibli fans in here... oh well.  Ironically, I had just showed two Takahata films to a crowd of friends at my Studio Ghibli Movie Marathon #6 two Sundays ago - The Tale of Princess Kaguya and Grave of the Fireflies, along with Miyazaki's Totoro, and then I find out he passed 11 days later...   

I just watched the first episode of Caligula and..... I have no clue what this show is about. Just a whole lot of ?????? as I watched. Well at least Shokugeki no Soma is starting off well as usual.

So I'm new to manga, but I saw something that caught my eye on comixology.com/amazon.com
Ace of the diamond. It looks like it involves a baseball team or a specific player?
I do enjoy baseball, and thought this could possibly be something worth checking out.
Anyway it's currently on sale for 4.99 until Monday 4-9 by 11pmy eastern.
Has anyone got to read this yet? I only found 3 reviews so far.

I haven't read it, but it looks like a well received manga. The only thing I'd caution someone about before starting it is that it's 47 volumes long.

I think as long as you go into it being ok with hitting an arc and stopping, you'll enjoy AotD.

So I'm new to manga, but I saw something that caught my eye on comixology.com/amazon.com
Ace of the diamond. It looks like it involves a baseball team or a specific player?
I do enjoy baseball, and thought this could possibly be something worth checking out.
Anyway it's currently on sale for 4.99 until Monday 4-9 by 11pmy eastern.
Has anyone got to read this yet? I only found 3 reviews so far.
I haven't read it, but I watched the anime, and it was a fine sports series.

Though I personally find Major, One Outs and Cross Game to be much better baseball series. (though of those only Major is truly a baseball series lol)

I haven't read it, but I watched the anime, and it was a fine sports series.
Though I personally find Major, One Outs and Cross Game to be much better baseball series. (though of those only Major is truly a baseball series lol)
Thanks, I will check those out and see where I could find the anime. I didn't know that existed either lol

This going by the anime only but Ace of Diamond was good. It focuses on baseball and the spirit of the game more than anything. There's no romance or high school drama, just baseball. It's got a bunch of characters and talks a lot about different techniques especially when it comes to pitching. The main character is probably my least favorite part of AoD. He's your typical loud mouth, brass, ignorant, but heart of gold MC.

You guys are gonna kill me but I only got halfway through Cross Game because I found it boring and not much about baseball. I really should try to finish it since it is loved so much.

If you've read Touch....Cross Game parallels some things almost too much. I'm going to be honest and say Cross Game's ending is alright only, but still worth reading. Not crazy about it though, and I think Touch was better, which still also had just an OK ending.

Just getting started on new season and only watched episode 1 of 3D girl, but it's aight though the animation isn't amazing so far.

For those that are following Black Clover still despite Asta screeching:

I think I know I've been watching too much anime when as soon as I saw the Golden Dawn captain at the beginning of the show and the small setup they gave I was like "He's going to end up being a bad guy". Lo and behold, 100% right lol. I find it very immersion-breaking that the Wizard King has no idea what kind of magic the dude uses and is all surprised when he shows up and "blinds them all" with light. Really? That didn't ring a bell with him? WTF? Despite the easily read plot, I'm still enjoying the show.

Finished a couple shows from last season:

Overlord 2 - I hate how the show ends when things are just now getting good. Ainz was pretty much a side character while lizard man, Sebas and the humans took the spotlight for most of the season. I'll come back for a 3rd run when we get it.

March Comes in Like a Lion - This show had a good run. I wasn't left wanting more but I never tought "when is this going to end?" I think starkillr said that this was a hard show to recommend and I agree. It's not the most exciting but it has some enduring moments, especially the arc when Hina is getting bullied. It actually made my blood boil a little. Not only is it a coming of age for Rei but Hina as well. In fact seeing Hina's growth was my favorite part of the show considering I'm a dad and my little girl will be that age in several years. I'm really going to miss the OP & ED since it consistently had some of the best ins & outs. One of the only shows I sit watch everytime without skipping. And I loved the art style. A solid 8/10 for me.

Overlord 2 - I hate how the show ends when things are just now getting good. Ainz was pretty much a side character while lizard man, Sebas and the humans took the spotlight for most of the season. I'll come back for a 3rd run when we get it.
While Ainz is the main character, the biggest thing this season was add characterization to the supporting cast, namely giving the NPCs independence and free will, and increasing the power of Nazarick.

You're in luck. Season 3 is this July.

March Comes in Like a Lion - This show had a good run. I wasn't left wanting more but I never tought "when is this going to end?" I think starkillr said that this was a hard show to recommend and I agree. It's not the most exciting but it has some enduring moments, especially the arc when Hina is getting bullied. It actually made my blood boil a little. Not only is it a coming of age for Rei but Hina as well. In fact seeing Hina's growth was my favorite part of the show considering I'm a dad and my little girl will be that age in several years. I'm really going to miss the OP & ED since it consistently had some of the best ins & outs. One of the only shows I sit watch everytime without skipping. And I loved the art style. A solid 8/10 for me.
Yeah Overlord 2 was great in that it added more depth to the universe, but sucked in that 13 episodes wasn't enough to let it breath and give us the payout for adding all that depth.

Yes, that's my favorite part of March Lion, the time he spends with the family. The shogi stuff was just not well done. I've seen plenty of shogi anime and while there were parts that were good, it mostly bogged down the show. I'm really glad it ended with more story related to the family and less about the shogi stuff. I don't think I'd recommend it though...probably more of a 5 or 6/10 from me. I'd be more at an 8/10 if it was better shogi arcs or less of a focus on that.

Yeah Overlord 2 was great in that it added more depth to the universe, but sucked in that 13 episodes wasn't enough to let it breath and give us the payout for adding all that depth.
Need to stretch it for some reason. They're doing the same exact thing with High School DxD. Enough material for a bunch of episodes, like 2 cour seasons, but they still keep it to 12 or 13 episodes. The LN is around 20+ with a sequel series incoming and the 4th season is barely on Volume 8-9

bread's done
Back