Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i actually think naruto's high point is the chunin exam with all the "underdeveloped" characters. rock lee vs. gaara made instant dedicated fans out of a lot of people. it was the filler arcs and weak writing (pre-shippuden) that really killed the show for a lot of people.

shippuden has really been pretty surprising in what they're willing to do as far as shaking things up in a big established IP/merchandising monster. shippuden has also really marginalized all the extra characters as now they are basically never in the show. this kind of saddens me because a few of them i liked seeing every now and again.[/QUOTE]

The filler really kills it for most shounen's.Only shounen's I really liked were Dragon Ball,Rosario+Vampire(Just the manga),Fullmetal Alchemist,Yu Yu Hakusho,and Rurouni Kenshin.Most of these new shounen's just drag on,have shitty writing,and too many character's(Bleach).

Is anyone else planning on going to Anime Expo? I just bought my ticket. I can't wait to see Kalafina in concert.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Clearly you didn't have a group of close friends as a child, or maybe you just never drifted apart from them.... Or you just have bad taste. ;)[/QUOTE]

Hmm, you might be on to something there, though I can't really quantify why I don't care for it right now — it's just missing that special something, haha.

Just finished watching Kino's Journey and it had to be one of the best animes I've seen.Hopefully a publisher like Yen Press will get the light novels over here at somepoint.

[quote name='themaster20000']Just finished watching Kino's Journey and it had to be one of the best animes I've seen.Hopefully a publisher like Yen Press will get the light novels over here at somepoint.[/QUOTE]

Kino's Journey was amazing. It's a shame that it was so short and didn't offer any sort of real closure. I think there have also been 2 movies in Japan that never made it over and I think I saw one of them.

The light novels were once licensed by Tokyopop and they released the first couple, I think.

[quote name='themaster20000']Just finished watching Kino's Journey and it had to be one of the best animes I've seen.Hopefully a publisher like Yen Press will get the light novels over here at somepoint.[/QUOTE]

agreed, i really liked this. i've had one of the movies forever but haven't watched it yet.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Kino's Journey was amazing. It's a shame that it was so short and didn't offer any sort of real closure. I think there have also been 2 movies in Japan that never made it over and I think I saw one of them.

The light novels were once licensed by Tokyopop and they released the first couple, I think.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't surprising that the ending had no closure since Kino has no real destination and is just traveling.Now with the novels,apparently Tokyopop only got the first one out and they were forced to stop because of a problem with the license.Looking at the cover they made up for the US release its not a surprise they had to stop
kino_lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Razzuel']Is anyone else planning on going to Anime Expo? I just bought my ticket. I can't wait to see Kalafina in concert.[/QUOTE]

Yup. With Kalafina on July 2nd and AM2 in Anaheim having a SCANDAL concert on the 3rd, it is going to be a fantastic weekend.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Kino's Journey was amazing. It's a shame that it was so short and didn't offer any sort of real closure. I think there have also been 2 movies in Japan that never made it over and I think I saw one of them.

The light novels were once licensed by Tokyopop and they released the first couple, I think.[/QUOTE]

It's one of my favorites. As for closure: Kino lives to travel. And I thought that ending the show with an episode about why Kino has some specific traveling rules (eg. only spending only 3 days in each town), ensuring that Kino continues to travel, was a nice touch.

[quote name='thirdrose']Yup. With Kalafina on July 2nd and AM2 in Anaheim having a SCANDAL concert on the 3rd, it is going to be a fantastic weekend.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Maybe if enough of us CAGs are going to Anime Expo, we could have a meetup of some sort or something — just a thought, if anyone's interested.

Oh, interesting; I didn't know there was another con going on at the same time. I haven't heard of SCANDAL, but it looks like they did one of the songs for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, albeit I haven't watched it yet.

[quote name='Jam Of Truth']You know what I'd like? If a chapter of Highschool of the Dead would come out more than one every 20 years.[/QUOTE]

Can't be as bad as with Berserk.

I keep buying anime without making any time to watch it. I guess since I have moved away from collecting games that something needed to fill that void. Anyone else doing this? The last thing I remember watching is some of Sekerei (sp?) on Netflix. Kind of average from what I saw of it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I keep buying anime without making any time to watch it. I guess since I have moved away from collecting games that something needed to fill that void. Anyone else doing this? The last thing I remember watching is some of Sekerei (sp?) on Netflix. Kind of average from what I saw of it.[/QUOTE]
I own a a lot of stuff that I've never watched too. I haven't bought anything recently, but I do have the first Utena box on preorder.

[quote name='Razzuel']I haven't heard of SCANDAL, but it looks like they did one of the songs for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, albeit I haven't watched it yet.[/QUOTE]

I am kind of a JRock head and I dig Scandal (yes they play their own instruments).
Here's some songs to check out:

Doll
Shoujo S
Hitotsu Dake
Sakura Goodbye
Kagerou

If you hate the first 3 you can probably skip them then. I'm pretty sure they've got songs in a few anime/games or something, Bleach comes to mind.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I keep buying anime without making any time to watch it. I guess since I have moved away from collecting games that something needed to fill that void. Anyone else doing this? The last thing I remember watching is some of Sekerei (sp?) on Netflix. Kind of average from what I saw of it.[/QUOTE]I feel you on this one. I literally have boxes of anime sitting around going unwatched. I haven't bought anything lately, though, namely because I have netflix and decided to just stream stuff through there.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I keep buying anime without making any time to watch it. I guess since I have moved away from collecting games that something needed to fill that void. Anyone else doing this? The last thing I remember watching is some of Sekerei (sp?) on Netflix. Kind of average from what I saw of it.[/QUOTE]

Ooooooooh yeah. My solution has been to tape a list of the anime I need to watch to my DVD shelf, and keep a list of the ongoing series I'm following. Seeing excactly where I sit on a daily basis has both helped me focus on watching what I haven't yet... and more importantly, not buying random series I have no interest in.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about, haha. It's pretty ridiculous how much unwatched anime I have, but the reason I haven't been watching anything from my collection on a regular basis is because it's more convenient for me to watch the streaming shows right now than to watch my physical, disc-based shows. I'll get back to watching that stuff when I have more consistent, contiguous amounts of free time.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I am kind of a JRock head and I dig Scandal (yes they play their own instruments).
Here's some songs to check out:

Doll
Shoujo S
Hitotsu Dake
Sakura Goodbye
Kagerou

If you hate the first 3 you can probably skip them then. I'm pretty sure they've got songs in a few anime/games or something, Bleach comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendations. They sound pretty good. Doll was my favorite out of the bunch.

[quote name='Razzuel']Awesome. Maybe if enough of us CAGs are going to Anime Expo, we could have a meetup of some sort or something — just a thought, if anyone's interested.

Oh, interesting; I didn't know there was another con going on at the same time. I haven't heard of SCANDAL, but it looks like they did one of the songs for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, albeit I haven't watched it yet.[/QUOTE]

It'd depend on the scheduling of programs, and whatever the heck the people I go with want to check out, but a meetup is certainly something I'd be open to.

I just heard about that second convention, honestly. From what I've read, almost everything about it, concerts included, is absolutely free.

So after much insistence from my brother, I finally gave Initial D a look...and I liked it! I saw the Funimation dubs, but now I'm wondering if there's anything out there beyond the Fourth Stage. I don't care if it's subbed instead of dubbed, just need...to...watch...more!

Rodimus is One piece dubbed in its entirity on hulu plus? If so I may have to subscribe for a month or two to catch up.

[quote name='Gden']Rodimus is One piece dubbed in its entirity on hulu plus? If so I may have to subscribe for a month or two to catch up.[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% sure but I'm going to assume they are. I started from episode 1 when Hulu plus first came to PS3 and at that time they were all dubbed. I'm on episode 337 and all the episodes I've seen have been dubbed.

And a heads up, you get the first month free.

Yeah, its worth a shot, but we're not activating it til school's out (wife watches it too, and she's a teacher) Don't you have to have playstation plus to watch it on there? Yeah, I know we have playstation plus for free for now

I finally watched all of Gundam Wing (missed a few episodes years ago). I still enjoy it, although after seeing other anime over the years, no longer my favorite anime.

I watched both Eden of East: King of Zell and Girl Who Leapt Through Time. King of Zell was great, although I didn't enjoy AS much as I thought I would. I may have to watch it again later. I really liked the realism of that anime, seeing EZ-Pass and such. Girl Who Leapt Through Time was excellent and interesting. Definitely see myself watching it over and over again.

[quote name='Razzuel']
Thanks for the recommendations. They sound pretty good. Doll was my favorite out of the bunch.[/QUOTE]

Always glad to help.

I think I'm going to see the 2nd Eden of the East movie this Sunday which is supposed to help finish the story. Been helping my girl catch up on One Piece so I wound up watching it with Chinese subs. It wasn't so bad since my nihongo is good enough to parse the really simple dialog of a shonen series.
She's still waaay back in the Alabasta arc. It's hard waiting for her to catch up!

[quote name='themaster20000']About damn time.I like to know what the limited edition has before I pre-order it though.[/QUOTE]

The limited edition will come in a chipboard box, and for a limited time, it will come with a coin; the regular edition will come in a thin cardboard box and it will not come with a coin.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I haven't bought anything recently, but I do have the first Utena box on preorder.[/QUOTE]
Did you get yours yet? Mine should be here later today.

[quote name='Shoulda Been Harvey']Did you get yours yet? Mine should be here later today.

[/QUOTE]
Not yet. It shipped on Saturday though, so it should be here soon.

Glad to see Brave Heart on there, any of the digimon koji wada songs deserve to be on there. Hell yeah that Makka Na Chikai is on there. Of course Biggest dreamer and We are are on there. I was about to say Butterfly better be on there, otherwise it wouldn't have been a viable list (IMO), but it was #2. God so much freaking songs from the same shows, and I was about to question Platinum from CCS being on there but apparently the very tail ass end of CCS was on tv up til march of 2000. I am surprised For Fruits Basket is not on there, though.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']http://www.anidragon.net/node/1488

Top 50 anime songs from 2000-2011 as chosen by 2ch. That video on that site has English subs for the anime and song titles.[/QUOTE]
:puke:

I thought there was only a handful of good music in there. Glad to see at least one Madoka song. Disappointed there wasn't any Noir music.

[quote name='Gden']and I was about to question Platinum from CCS being on there but apparently the very tail ass end of CCS was on tv up til march of 2000.[/QUOTE]
I thought the same thing about the GTO song. It's a shame Driver's High was ineligible, I guess, because it was the better song.

2ch apparently has a huge boner for Railgun, Macross Frontier and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Finished reading Ai Kora (Love&Collage, from the creator of Midori Days). It was alright. Didn't have that "must read next chapter" feeling, but there were some humorous situations. It was odd that the main female character had very similar looks and personality to Asuna from Negima. It was nice reading a completed manga for a change.

Next up is Shinji Ikari Raising Project. Already have the 8 volumes available from Dark Horse but I think there are currently 11 in Japan.

I just finished reading Vol.1 of Sayonara , Zatsuboro Sensei , and I'm not sure what my feelings for it were. It was amusing in parts , but seemed mostly kinda boring. Does the story keep the same basic humor/style throughout , or does it just start off kinda slow? Trying to gauge whether I should consider getting future volumes.

Finished Eden of the East but it really didn't feel like an ending...I feel like there's more to come.

Watched Girl Leapt Time blah, it was a lot of fun. Great anime movie.

Yesterday I finally finished off Evangelion : Angelic Days. I had read up to Vol.5 a month or so ago , but had been putting off reading vol.6. Disappointed in how it ended , kinda boring and meaningless to me. Feels like they could have just ended it with Vol. 4 or 5 and would have been perfectly fine.

I finished up Birdy the Mighty: Decode (season 1), and really enjoyed it. It's got a great soundtrack, solid visuals and a good story. I'll be starting up season 2 sometime next week, and I can't wait.

Finished Hunter x Hunter tv series (62 episodes). Easily the best mainstream shounen series I've seen in some time. Character attachment, character development, pacing, English dub, creative storyline vs focusing only on fighting, and maintaining audience interest, this series did a great job with everything.

Well almost everything. The only problem I noticed is the ending of the tv series. A lot of anime series don't cover the full story of the manga. This is understandable considering the manga can be far too long or still ongoing for an anime series to cover, or the anime devs may not have enough funding to cover the full story. I'm ok with the anime being a subset of the manga as long as they pick a good stopping point in the plot. In the case of Hunter x Hunter though, the tv series stops without any of the main story lines ending. Not a single character achieves what they were looking for yet. The story continues with OVAs but they haven't been licensed in the US. The tv series was good enough that I will probably pick up the manga to continue the story.

On the fifth volume of Shinji Ikari Raising Project. As a big fan of Evangelion I am enjoying this slice-of-life lighthearted take on the series. This is obviously made for the fans, if you haven't watched the original series or manga then this spinoff will be meaningless to you.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Told you so.[/QUOTE]
Hehe, I knew it was coming. Still worth watching, it was an excellent anime series.

Looking at the volume synopses it looks like the anime covers through v11. Viz has all 27 volumes currently available, but I just read about how this series frequently goes on hiatus. I guess I'll wait until the series is done before picking up the manga; by then I would have probably forgotten most of the details and could start from the beginning. It's tempting to pick up v12 right now and continue where the anime left off...

[quote name='lilman']Hehe, I knew it was coming. Still worth watching, it was an excellent anime series.

Looking at the volume synopses it looks like the anime covers through v11. Viz has all 27 volumes currently available, but I just read about how this series frequently goes on hiatus. I guess I'll wait until the series is done before picking up the manga; by then I would have probably forgotten most of the details and could start from the beginning. It's tempting to pick up v12 right now and continue where the anime left off...[/QUOTE]
Frequent hiatuses seems like a bit of an understatement. There have probably only been like 20 chapters in the past 5 years. It makes me wonder if Viz will even bother releasing more of the series if another volume isn't released for another year or two.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Frequent hiatuses seems like a bit of an understatement. There have probably only been like 20 chapters in the past 5 years. It makes me wonder if Viz will even bother releasing more of the series if another volume isn't released for another year or two.[/QUOTE]
^ Wow I didn't know it was that bad. I read up on the mangaka and the general consensus is he's been battling illness. He supposedly made a statement recently that he will work on HxH as soon as possible, so at least he is still interested in the series. I'm going to wait for more development before investing in this series.

bread's done
Back