Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='thirdrose']
Azumanga Daioh is my favorite show of all time. Not just anime, mind you. I think it's a show that would resonate well with anyone who finished high school.[/QUOTE]

I also loved Azumanga Daioh and to a slightly less extent, School Rumble. Are there any other similar shows you can recommend?

[quote name='Sway']I also loved Azumanga Daioh and to a slightly less extent, School Rumble. Are there any other similar shows you can recommend?[/QUOTE]

Azumanga Daioh spawned a whole bunch of imitators, but most pale in comparison. I suggest the currently-airing Nichijou.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Azumanga Daioh spawned a whole bunch of imitators, but most pale in comparison. I suggest the currently-airing Nichijou.[/QUOTE]

I would also suggest Nichijou, as well as A-Channel, Sketchbook: Full Color's, Hyakko, and Best Student Council.

Out of all of those, you should be able to find something that suits your interests; there are more choices, but these are the shows that I've enjoyed that come to mind when I think of Azumanga. Let us know what you decide to watch and what you think of it.

Also, if you're not against reading manga, you have to read Yotsuba if you liked Azumanga.

[quote name='Razzuel']I would also suggest Nichijou, as well as A-Channel, Sketchbook: Full Color's, Hyakko, and Best Student Council.

Out of all of those, you should be able to find something that suits your interests; there are more choices, but these are the shows that I've enjoyed that come to mind when I think of Azumanga. Let us know what you decide to watch and what you think of it.

Also, if you're not against reading manga, you have to read Yotsuba if you liked Azumanga.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Azumanga Daioh spawned a whole bunch of imitators, but most pale in comparison. I suggest the currently-airing Nichijou.[/QUOTE]

I see that Hyakko and Best Student Council are streaming on crunchyroll.com so I'll check them out there. Couldn't find results on Nichijou, A-Channel, or Sketchbook: Full Color's. Are there any other legal sites I should look at? I know Funimation has a lot of streaming on their site as well but from the series that were recommended, it seems that Best Student Council is the only one licensed for the US at the moment.

[quote name='Sway']I see that Hyakko and Best Student Council are streaming on crunchyroll.com so I'll check them out there. Couldn't find results on Nichijou, A-Channel, or Sketchbook: Full Color's. Are there any other legal sites I should look at? I know Funimation has a lot of streaming on their site as well but from the series that were recommended, it seems that Best Student Council is the only one licensed for the US at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Oh, haha. Nichijou is streaming on Crunchyroll, but it's listed under its localized name, My Ordinary Life. You know, I was gonna get all crazy and post places where you could watch stuff, but I decided against it, haha.

Sketchbook is on Crunchyroll, but they had to remove all of the episodes except for episode one, so you could at least watch episode one on there to see if you like it.

If you would rather watch Best Student Council in English, then you can watch it on The Anime Network, which is Sentai/Section23's (the new ADV) streaming site.

Other than the rest of the episodes of Sketchbook, the only show you can't watch legally is A-Channel, unfortunately.

Oh, and if you're looking for legal streams...

I was going to list every place I knew, but then I remembered that someone is probably keeping a list on the new AOD boards, and someone is, haha. So if you want to know what is being legally streamed and where, then check out this list every so often.

Oh, and you're correct that Best Student Council is the only one currently licensed for a physical release here in the US at the moment, even though its latest release, the complete collection, was originally released in November of 2008, haha, so who knows how much longer it has before going OOP.

[quote name='Razzuel']Oh, haha. Nichijou is streaming on Crunchyroll, but it's listed under its localized name, My Ordinary Life. You know, I was gonna get all crazy and post places where you could watch stuff, but I decided against it, haha.

Sketchbook is on Crunchyroll, but they had to remove all of the episodes except for episode one, so you could at least watch episode one on there to see if you like it.

If you would rather watch Best Student Council in English, then you can watch it on The Anime Network, which is Sentai/Section23's (the new ADV) streaming site.

Other than the rest of the episodes of Sketchbook, the only show you can't watch legally is A-Channel, unfortunately.

Oh, and if you're looking for legal streams...

I was going to list every place I knew, but then I remembered that someone is probably keeping a list on the new AOD boards, and someone is, haha. So if you want to know what is being legally streamed and where, then check out this list every so often.

Oh, and you're correct that Best Student Council is the only one currently licensed for a physical release here in the US at the moment, even though its latest release, the complete collection, was originally released in November of 2008, haha, so who knows how much longer it has before going OOP.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Especially the Anime Network site. All the shows recommended so far look like I'd enjoy them.

I've started watching some of the Summer shows, and since it's quite early on, I'm just gonna talk about one of them for now. Usagi Drop — it's an adaption of the Bunny Drop (Usagi is Japanese for Bunny, and it's drop as in the candy) manga that Yen Press has been releasing — has had two episodes aired so far. Now, I started reading the manga when Yen Press first started releasing it, since it's premise — a 30 year old bachelor adopts his grandfather's illegitimate daughter — was very appealing to me. I've had the first two volumes read for a while now, but since the adaption just started airing, I decided to re-read volumes one and two and finally read volume three, since I've been putting it off.

It's a fantastic manga about a single man coming to terms with raising a child and entering the world of parenting, and the anime is a perfect adaption so far. The anime starts with water-color-style animation, that looks just like the color pages from the manga, and then after the opening, it uses normal animation. The anime is following the manga faithfully so far — there are minor changes here and there, but that's to be expected — and I love the voice actors (Rin, the girl Daikichi, the 30 year old bachelor, is raising is even voiced by a child. It's adorable!); along with the animation, the voice actors really bring these characters to life. The anime is just like I imagined it would be and more, haha.

I am sad to say though that I've heard the manga turns to shit some time after volume four, which completely baffles me. However, the anime is only halfway through volume one so far, so if they keep this pace and do four episodes per volume, then it should end somewhere during volume three.

[quote name='Sway']Thanks for the info. Especially the Anime Network site. All the shows recommended so far look like I'd enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

No problem; I'm glad to help. I hope you enjoy them.

Finished up Kino's Journey, and it was pretty much amazing. TBH, I expected it to be a lot weirder from the description, but it was just really good. All the stories in each episode are really interesting, and there's usually a cool twist to each one. Everyone should watch it.

I'm also about halfway through Full Metal Panic. It's a solid show, although a bit cliched for me at this point after as much anime as I've watched. Still though, I like it. =D

Another show that looks really promising so far is Gungrave, which I re-started after like 2 years (was only 3 episodes in). I've heard it get's pretty sad, but I have high hopes for this one! Oh yeah, and the first episode blows chunks. lol.

Anyway, sorry for talking about older releases, but that's what I'm watching. :p

[quote name='"thirdrose"']Azumanga Daioh is my favorite show of all time. Not just anime, mind you. I think it's a show that would resonate well with anyone who finished high school.[/quote]
When I first started watching Azumanga, I didn't understand how it could be so many people's favorite show of all time. After finishing the series though, I think I finally get it now. It does indeed live up to the hype. It's always best to go into a show without any expectations, I suppose, but sometimes that's impossible :p

[quote name='ChibiJosh']All I know is that Usagi Drop has the worst ending ever.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a contender; that's for sure.

[quote name='themaster20000']I was going to watch High School of the Dead,but then I saw this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtlMjRqfQs

Now I understand its a B movie type show,but that's way too over top.[/QUOTE]
A little funny but thats like WAY OVER the top with fan service.I was actually thinking about checking this anime out one time but after seeing that clip just seems a little too much about the fan service.Any recommendations on it aside from the gracious fan service :lol:?

[quote name='Magiblaze']A little funny but thats like WAY OVER the top with fan service.I was actually thinking about checking this anime out one time but after seeing that clip just seems a little too much about the fan service.Any recommendations on it aside from the gracious fan service :lol:?[/QUOTE]

That's actually the worst offender of the show, so you don't have to worry about it topping that, haha. It's a great looking show and if you like zombie apocalypses, then this isn't a bad way to tend to those interests; it's just that its obsession with breasts and crotches is sigh-inducing — well, it is to me anyway.

I suggest you at least check out the first episode, since it's a good indicator of whether you'll like it or not; it's actually pretty effective, especially the end of the episode. Also, all of the ending songs are fantastic; they're all sung by Maon Kurosaki and she's pretty awesome.

You can watch the whole show for free on Sentai/Section23's streaming website, The Anime Network.

Anyone in this thread going to Otakon 2011? I just posted a blog about the event. I plan to cosplay as Renton Thurston. If you see an black Renton, that's me, haha. So excited.

I finally got around to watching the Black*Rock Shooter OVA yesterday. I thought it was good, but not OMG awesome. Still working on a few other anime so I can finally get to the Summer 2011 anime.

Haha, dude, I am curious to see you as Renton.

I don't think I'm going to Otakon this year. I still have never been to a convention. I don't have anyone to go with, and I just don't think I would like the crowds all that much; also, I know stuff there is pretty expensive, not to mention the hotel room and gas costs (I'm trying to save up for another trip to Thailand). I still am pissed about missing the Home Made Kazoku concert last year though. T.T

EDIT: Nvm, I'll be in Las Vegas that week anyway, heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PrarieD0G']Anyway, sorry for talking about older releases, but that's what I'm watching. :p

When I first started watching Azumanga, I didn't understand how it could be so many people's favorite show of all time. After finishing the series though, I think I finally get it now. It does indeed live up to the hype. It's always best to go into a show without any expectations, I suppose, but sometimes that's impossible :p[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize. You talking about FMP makes me want to watch that again.

I was lucky with Azumanga Daioh. I was new to watching anime and having only been introduced to the ridiculousness of the Prince of Tennis, I asked a friend to suggest something different. Without any fanfare or hype, she just handed me some DVDs and said, "Friendship. High school. That's all you need to know." I'm seriously grateful for that concise description.

I finally watched Eden of the East. It was fantastic. I really had no idea what to expect, and its premise and execution were a nice surprise. The story was fresh and exciting; I flew through it so fast, I didn't even realize it was over until the disc went back to the main menu, haha. I actually didn't have a problem with the ending like I've heard some people have had. I thought it was a good spot for the show to end, as long as there's a continuation, and there is — two movies.

So, after the show was over, I decided to watch The King of Eden, since I have that too. Unfortunately, The King of Eden isn't any good, and I don't like the direction the story is heading. Most of the movie was incredibly dull; the story gets a huge, sigh-inducing setback; and the story doesn't seem intelligent or as intriguing as before.

Hopefully the second movie, Paradise Lost, can salvage some of the story, so it doesn't end on a bad note. I'm planning on watching it as soon as it arrives, since I have it on order at Right Stuf.

The King of Eden spoilers:
I thought the ending of Eden of the East was great. Akira just saved Japan, and he just put in a request to become the king of Japan. I thought the story could only get better from here. I was imagining the mystery, intrigue, and suspense reaching new highs as the Selecao enter their final battle against each other to win. However, the movie greeted me with very slow pacing and dullness, which left me wondering when the real movie was going to start. After the end of the series, I wanted to see the game come to an end, not watch boring flashbacks about the gang at their new headquarters.

I thought all would be redeemed when Akira showed up; I was excited. However, he ERASED his memory AGAIN. What the hell?! I mean what the hell?! Besides the intrigue of the game itself, the other most interesting and enjoyable aspect of the show was Saki, Akira, and their relationship. I wanted to see it grow! I don't want them to start over! They've been through so much together, and Akira's been through so much getting his memories back. Ugh.

Then they just start brushing off the other Selecao. I thought there was real potential in the rest of the contestants, since there were quite a few that weren't revealed yet. However, they just brush Number Three and Number Eight under the rug, Number Six is extremely lame, Number Two just disappears without ever been revealed, and Number 12 is eliminated before we figure out who he is. Number 12 spent almost all of his 10 billion moving Juiz! Come on! That was an amazing turn in the story, and then Number 12 is just eliminated.

Oh, and what the hell happened to Juiz? It feels like she's been ruined now. She's not acting like herself at all. It feels like the story is losing its intelligence. I'm no longer intrigued by the game, its contestants, and the eventual outcome.

Sigh.

Also, I wish Funimation could have used the Oasis song for all of the openings like it was originally made; that song is so bad ass, and it fits the show and the animation of the opening perfectly.

Yeah King of Eden wasn't that great but Paradise Lost does give you some sort of ending. I do feel there is wasted potential but I would totally buy that Selecao phone if they sold it in America.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood seasons 1-4 are $20 each on Bluray at Amazon currently.

I'm at work and don't have time to check if it's been posted in the thread already (sorry if it has!)

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I would totally buy that Selecao phone if they sold it in America.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same exact thing while watching the show. As much as I like what I can do with my iPhone, the Selecao phone is so bad ass that I don't think I would mind giving up some features.

I read that it's apparently being made into a real phone, but it doesn't look like it's actually been made yet, and I don't even know if a Japanese cell phone could work here in the US.

Just finished Gungrave. Sad anime, but in a such a good way. I haven't felt this emotional from watching a show in a long time. Some of the gun-firing antics were ridiculous and over the top, but the core story and recurring theme of never betraying one's family really hit home with me. Underappreciated show, IMO.

[quote name='thirdrose'] Without any fanfare or hype, she just handed me some DVDs and said, "Friendship. High school. That's all you need to know." I'm seriously grateful for that concise description.[/QUOTE]

You have a good friend, haha. Speaking of which, you should add me on MAL if you have one. :p http://myanimelist.net/profile/PrarieD0G

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Just finished Gungrave. Sad anime, but in a such a good way. I haven't felt this emotional from watching a show in a long time. Some of the gun-firing antics were ridiculous and over the top, but the core story and recurring theme of never betraying one's family really hit home with me. Underappreciated show, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I was like wait don't I own that? Twirling around the dvd rack, yes , yes I do. Lovely sealed Geneon boxset with a mousepad on it. :lol:

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Just finished Gungrave. Sad anime, but in a such a good way. I haven't felt this emotional from watching a show in a long time. Some of the gun-firing antics were ridiculous and over the top, but the core story and recurring theme of never betraying one's family really hit home with me. Underappreciated show, IMO.

You have a good friend, haha. Speaking of which, you should add me on MAL if you have one. :p http://myanimelist.net/profile/PrarieD0G[/QUOTE]
I just got Gungrave on blu-ray. I plan to watch it.

[quote name='Razzuel']I was thinking the same exact thing while watching the show. As much as I like what I can do with my iPhone, the Selecao phone is so bad ass that I don't think I would mind giving up some features.

I read that it's apparently being made into a real phone, but it doesn't look like it's actually been made yet, and I don't even know if a Japanese cell phone could work here in the US.[/QUOTE]

i've already seen the pics of it. beautiful. since i have a flash enabled android phone i could take some flash stuff have an animated selecao wallpaper but it wouldn't be quite the same thing without that bizarre form factor.

Glad to hear more people are checking out Gungrave. :D

EDIT: Just watched Grave of the Fireflies. I don't really have words to describe it. All I can say is that it is now my favorite anime movie.

Damn, I've been watching a lot of good stuff lately. haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BattleChicken']Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood seasons 1-4 are $20 each on Bluray at Amazon currently.

I'm at work and don't have time to check if it's been posted in the thread already (sorry if it has!)[/QUOTE]
They've got two boxsets of FMA Brotherhood at my local Wal-Mart too for 20$.Not sure if it'd be at anyone elses though but might be worth a look if you don't wanna find 5$ extra of stuff to get free shipping and would want it now.

Gungrave was a great anime.The games don't look so great and the storyline differs,but the anime was truly great.One of the better ones out there.

Haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies but I've always heard great things about it and I believe its with Miyazaki's Studio Gibli.Gonna check it out eventually in the next few months.

Just finished ep. 6 of Highschool of the Dead.

The show isn't as filled with fan service as I thought it was going to be. It's actually pretty tame compared to other stuff I've watched.

I'm really loving the aesthetic along with the soundtrack.

[quote name='Oaxan']In the middle of Texhnolyze.
Normally, I don't like Dystopia, but I guess I could let it slide this time.[/QUOTE]

At least until you get to the end. :(

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']I finally caught up with the HunterXHunter manga the other night, and read this about a new anime being announced August 4th. Wonder if it's true...[/QUOTE]
It's true. I now wonder how they're going to do it. Will the just start over from the beginning (which I think would be the best choice), begin from the end of the last TV series or begin from the end of the last OAV?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...unter-tv-anime-series-confirmed-for-this-fall

English dubbed Marvel Anime series Iron Man and Wolverine begin airing on G4 this Friday (7/29 @ 11pm EST). HD airing available as well. Blade and X-Men will probably start airing after these two have finished.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It's true. I now wonder how they're going to do it. Will the just start over from the beginning (which I think would be the best choice), begin from the end of the last TV series or begin from the end of the last OAV?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...unter-tv-anime-series-confirmed-for-this-fall[/QUOTE]
I hope they pick up from the end of the last TV series since they never licensed the OVA in US. If they want to restart from the beginning that would be fine too.

[quote name='lilman']
I hope they pick up from the end of the last TV series since they never licensed the OVA in US. If they want to restart from the beginning that would be fine too.[/QUOTE]

I just can't really imagine them picking up anywhere since the original TV series finished airing like 10 years ago. That pretty much makes anyone who hasn't seen the original, unable to really watch the new one.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just can't really imagine them picking up anywhere since the original TV series finished airing like 10 years ago. That pretty much makes anyone who hasn't seen the original, unable to really watch the new one.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking since the DVD's of the original TV series are still available (and not at ridiculous prices like some older series) that they might pick up the story from there. But I think you're right, it makes more sense for them to start over from the beginning.

[quote name='lilman']I was thinking since the DVD's of the original TV series are still available (and not at ridiculous prices like some older series)[/QUOTE]
You're almost certainly talking about the US with that statement, aren't you? Don't you see a flaw in that logic?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just can't really imagine them picking up anywhere since the original TV series finished airing like 10 years ago. That pretty much makes anyone who hasn't seen the original, unable to really watch the new one.[/QUOTE]

The Saint Seiya Hades, which continue right after the TV show, was released 13 years after the TV show ended. Of course Saint Seiya was a lot bigger but it is still possible.

[quote name='62t']The Saint Seiya Hades, which continue right after the TV show, was released 13 years after the TV show ended. Of course Saint Seiya was a lot bigger but it is still possible.[/QUOTE]
That's different. Hades was an OAV, Hunter x Hunter is a TV series.

^ /Agreeing with that.
Close to something like 15 years ago isn't it but yeah its been so long even though it would be nice for them to pick up from there it just wouldn't make too much sense since theres been new generations out there now.I'll be happy to see them releasing.Looks as if from the trailer it'll end about where the anime series did.So looking even more forward to the second movie if the first does good enough.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']You're almost certainly talking about the US with that statement, aren't you? Don't you see a flaw in that logic?[/QUOTE]
I thought any anime available in the US is definitely available in Japan (i.e. a national product is always more available in house than in other countries). Is that incorrect?

Anyway I agreed with you that it makes more sense for them to start over. It's been too long since it originally aired, there was some fracturing with OVA vs broadcast, they'll probably have to find new VAs for everyone since the originals could be long gone, and with the manga always on hiatus they are in no rush to catch up.

[quote name='Magiblaze']
Close to something like 15 years ago isn't it [/QUOTE]
It ended in 2001 so almost exactly 10 years.

[quote name='lilman']I thought any anime available in the US is definitely available in Japan (i.e. a national product is always more available in house than in other countries). Is that incorrect?[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily, but I'm sure it is available. I was actually questioning your comment indicating it wasn't expensive. Anime is not cheap in Japan. I did a search and region 2 Japanese Hunter x Hunter TV DVDs are $60 each and there are at least 13 volumes.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I was actually questioning your comment indicating it wasn't expensive. Anime is not cheap in Japan. I did a search and region 2 Japanese Hunter x Hunter TV DVDs are $60 each and there are at least 13 volumes.[/QUOTE]
Ah, gotcha. I didn't know anything manga/anime related would be cheaper here than in Japan. Rightstuf is currently selling each of the 4 TV series DVD sets (each set is 3 DVD's I think) for $24. $96 for the 62 episode TV series on DVD isn't too shabby. A single DVD for $60 (which would mean $720 for the whole TV series) is all the more reason they'll probably start over from the beginning.

A HxH reboot would be great, even if the original had little filler. It would help to fix some of the pacing problems with the beginning of the original, maybe better animation for Greed Island, and allow time for more chapters to come out.

However, since the Chimera Ant arc doesn't really have too much carry-over from the previous arcs (no Kurapika, Leorio, Hisoka, and only a brief glimpse of the Spiders), they might be able to get by with just that as a TV season, assuming the arc is ending pretty soon in the manga.

Frankly I would just like HXH to not feature anything that isn't the Spiders vs. the main cast. I feel like the author is completely lost at times. Greed Island was pretty senseless.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It ended in 2001 so almost exactly 10 years.[/QUOTE]
1998 If you go by Japan so around 13 years,but aye not as close to 15 as I thought.Looking forward to it getting updated.Hopefully it'll do well enough to manage to catch up to the manga.With all of the delays the manga gets who knows maybe it'll suffer from getting close to too far ahead :lol:.

[quote name='Magiblaze']^ /Agreeing with that.
Close to something like 15 years ago isn't it but yeah its been so long even though it would be nice for them to pick up from there it just wouldn't make too much sense since theres been new generations out there now.I'll be happy to see them releasing.Looks as if from the trailer it'll end about where the anime series did.So looking even more forward to the second movie if the first does good enough.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Magiblaze']1998 If you go by Japan so around 13 years,but aye not as close to 15 as I thought.Looking forward to it getting updated.Hopefully it'll do well enough to manage to catch up to the manga.With all of the delays the manga gets who knows maybe it'll suffer from getting close to too far ahead :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Magiblaze, you realize we're talking about Hunter X Hunter, right? You seem to keep referring to Berserk...

[quote name='lilman']Ah, gotcha. I didn't know anything manga/anime related would be cheaper here than in Japan.[/QUOTE]

Interestingly enough, anime is much, MUCH cheaper in the US than it is in Japan, and has been for years. It's standard for DVD in Japan to cost $60-70 dollars (equivalent)- and standard for that DVD to only have 2-3 episodes on it. Manga is techincally cheaper, but also typically much smaller as well. It's the import merch that really sees a markup.

A lot of people blame cheap US prices as why we get so few anime on Blu-Ray, or at least why it takes so long to come out... since Japan and the US share the same Blu-Ray region, there seems to be some fear on the part of the Japanese over reverse imports. (I don't know if I buy that, personally.)

I've been teasing my fiance lately about anime- he watches it on occasion, but not nearly has much as I do. His favorite shows are Rurouni Kenshin and Hunter X Hunter... so I have to bug him about re-joining the anime flock just becuase his favorite stuff is getting rebooted. All we need is Funimation to start up the Hellsing Ultimate releases again. :lol:

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']Magiblaze, you realize we're talking about Hunter X Hunter, right? You seem to keep referring to Berserk...[/QUOTE]
No.I was pretty bad at picking it up :lol: until it was just mentioned there.Sowwies and yes was mistakenly referring to Berserk.

Has anybody that pre-ordered the second Utena set had theirs shipped yet? It's due to be released tomorrow and with them shipping pre-orders early last time I wonder if it's been delayed. E-mailed them last week but never got a reply. Guess I'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

bread's done
Back