Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

For those of you that read scanlations, I just released a digital manga processor/organizer called MangAI: http://www.bitcake.com/projects/mangai/
Video preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BTmqQCvp2I

Enjoying Golgo 13 (available on Netflix streaming). I love how most (maybe all?) of the episodes are told from an involved party's point of view rather than from Golgo's. Just a few episodes left...

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been watching or reading much lately, I think I'm falling into depression or something.

Watched and finished:
Durarara!!
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Completely up to date on:
Ika Musume S2
Persona 4
Guilty Crown
and Mirai Nikki

As for Manga, I'm 4 volumes into Berserk (loving it) and up to date on:
It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular
Choku
and Franken Fran

Finished watching Golgo 13. I like how the each episode is told from the perspective of an involved party, often times the victim or someone close to him/her, rather than from Golgo himself. Actually, Golgo barely talks throughout the whole thing, nor does he show facial expressions (even during sex, lol), which add to his bad-ass persona. I also like the Western art style and feel that it fit the mature tone appropriately.

Also finished watching the fifth (and sadly for US fans, the last) season of Detective Conan. As I had read earlier, the quality of the cases drops as the series progresses, most notably starting in season 4, but are still very enjoyable. I think a problem I'll have with Conan is replayability. I buy anime so that I can watch it more than once (otherwise I would just rent or stream), but with a detective show, I think already knowing how the case is resolved will take out much of the fun. Maybe I'll just wait a few years before watching again, and by then I would have forgotten most of the cases.

-Edit-
Almost forgot to mention, all 26 episodes of Golgo 13 are available on Netflix instant streaming :)

Well, Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo was released on Blu-ray in Japan a little over a week ago; it's Makoto Shinkai's latest film. I love his previous films, so I imported the limited edition, and it arrived last week. I just now had a chance to watch it.

It was fantastic. I loved every minute of it, and I think it's better than all of his previous films in every way. I don't even want to spoil what it's about, since it's such a great journey, experiencing how the story plays out. It shares some similarities to Hayao Miyazaki's films, yet it keeps the aspects that make Shinkai's films unique. I think this is a beautiful film with a theme that people can, or will eventually be able to, relate to.

Also, it looks absolutely gorgeous! It is so damn pretty, and the animation is amazing.

[quote name='Razzuel']Well, Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo was released on Blu-ray in Japan a little over a week ago; it's Makoto Shinkai's latest film. I love his previous films, so I imported the limited edition, and it arrived last week. I just now had a chance to watch it.

It was fantastic. I loved every minute of it, and I think it's better than all of his previous films in every way. I don't even want to spoil what it's about, since it's such a great journey, experiencing how the story plays out. It shares some similarities to Hayao Miyazaki's films, yet it keeps the aspects that make Shinkai's films unique. I think this is a beautiful film with a theme that people can, or will eventually be able to, relate to.

Also, it looks absolutely gorgeous! It is so damn pretty, and the animation is amazing.[/QUOTE]I love Makoto Shinkai's stuff. Any chance of a North American release?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I love Makoto Shinkai's stuff. Any chance of a North American release?[/QUOTE]

It's actually already been licensed by an unspecified North American company.
This information got out a couple days before the Japanese Blu-ray was released. I decided to keep my order since I'd rather not risk not having it on Blu-ray, since there hasn't been a precedent for CoMix Wave productions to make it to Blu-ray over here, like 5cm Per Second.

I would think it would be Sentai given that they already have a relationship with CoMix Wave. If this doesn't get a Blu-ray release here though, then that's unacceptable. Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is perhaps the best looking anime I've seen on Blu-ray; so anything less than Blu-ray is a serious disservice to the film.

You'll probably be waiting a while though, since it was just released about a week ago.

[quote name='Razzuel']
It's actually already been licensed by an unspecified North American company.
This information got out a couple days before the Japanese Blu-ray was released. I decided to keep my order since I'd rather not risk not having it on Blu-ray, since there hasn't been a precedent for CoMix Wave productions to make it to Blu-ray over here, like 5cm Per Second.

I would think it would be Sentai given that they already have a relationship with CoMix Wave. If this doesn't get a Blu-ray release here though, then that's unacceptable. Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is perhaps the best looking anime I've seen on Blu-ray; so anything less than Blu-ray is a serious disservice to the film.

You'll probably be waiting a while though, since it was just released about a week ago.[/QUOTE]I don't mind wating so long as it means not paying Japanese prices. ;)

I watched Arrietty in the cinema during the summer, its a really good movie. Comes out on blu ray here first/second week of January along with Whisper of the Heart, which i'll both be getting.

Alright, I'm finally done with Hunter x Hunter, the OVA, Greed Island, and Greed Island Final. I finished the original series about six weeks ago, but I've only recently had the time to finish Greed Island and Greed Island Final.

I absolutely loved it, and I'm pretty disappointed that it's over. It's been such a great journey. There was a great balance between fun and seriousness; I was continually surprised how dark and mature the show was at times, and that element only increases as the show goes on, as the stakes become greater and greater. That's another reason I enjoyed it so much; it's just paced so damn well. There's always more for Gon and Killua to learn, and their development is interesting and actually makes sense. Also, Kurapica's struggle with the Spiders was unbelievable; one of the best parts of the show. Leorio is awesome too, but his role becomes smaller after the Hunter exam, which was disappointing; however, it makes sense given what he's trying to accomplish. Oh, and Gon vs Gensuru was fucking amazing.

Hopefully the new series is just as good and goes past where the original series ended because I have to know what happens next.

So how is Fate/ZERO? A good jumping-on point for the Fate series? I noticed TRSI advertising the Japanese-priced Blu-ray collection, and I figure I better make decision now because they won't be around for long.

[quote name='pete5883']So how is Fate/ZERO? A good jumping-on point for the Fate series? I noticed TRSI advertising the Japanese-priced Blu-ray collection, and I figure I better make decision now because they won't be around for long.[/QUOTE]
I would say that if you're looking for a jumping on point, I'd go with Fate/Stay Night simply because it's not $370. I checked before posting this, and the prices for Stay Night have got dumb since it went out of print, so you may want to check your local used shops. Alternatively there's a couple of auctions going for a reasonable price, and a few people selling it close to the original MSRP as well.

That's all assuming that you're asking from the standpoint of looking to buy DVDs/Blu Rays. If you're asking storyline wise, I couldn't tell you because I still haven't got around to opening mine yet. :roll:

Fate/Zero is really damn good, but it's not a good jumping point at all if you don't want major parts of Fate/stay night spoiled for you.

Also, there's no guarantee that Fate/Zero is going to sell out and become out of print; it's not advertised as a limited edition like The Garden of Sinners, nor has it already had a home media release like The Garden of Sinners did. Right Stuf's allotment may sell out, but you should still be able to import it long after it's released. However, if you want it and don't want to risk missing out, then buy it.

[quote name='Razzuel']Fate/Zero is really damn good, but it's not a good jumping point at all if you don't want major parts of Fate/stay night spoiled for you.

Also, there's no guarantee that Fate/Zero is going to sell out and become out of print; it's not advertised as a limited edition like The Garden of Sinners, nor has it already had a home media release like The Garden of Sinners did. Right Stuf's allotment may sell out, but you should still be able to import it long after it's released. However, if you want it and don't want to risk missing out, then buy it.[/QUOTE]
I would think that since the price is so high, they don't expect to sell many, which means they won't print many. Kinda want to hold off on F/sn until I can get a hold of the VN, which I assume is superior to the anime?

[quote name='pete5883']I would think that since the price is so high, they don't expect to sell many, which means they won't print many. Kinda want to hold off on F/sn until I can get a hold of the VN, which I assume is superior to the anime?[/QUOTE]

Huh? These are gonna sell like crazy. It's been in the top 100 selling DVDs on Amazon Japan for weeks now; it's currently the 25th best selling DVD/Blu-ray and it's the 8th best selling anime DVD/Blu-ray.

The Garden of Sinners Blu-ray box set sold 25,000 units, which was exactly how many were made, and it cost about $400. If you didn't already know, this price is normal for anime in Japan, which is why it's so expensive.

As for Fate/stay night, I'd say watch the show first and then play the visual novel, if you plan on playing the visual novel at all. The show is pretty much the first storyline with a handful of changes, which is only 1/3 of the whole story, so you're missing out on a lot if you don't play it. If you want to read my thoughts on the visual novel (it's spoiler free), you can go back a couple pages and read it here.

The easiest place to order it from is probably JList. If you want voices, you're also going to need to buy the PS2 version, which you can buy at PlayAsia. Also, you must install the Realta Nua enhancements as well; it changes some of the music, story, and CGs to those used in the PS2 game, and they are absolutely worth it.

[quote name='Razzuel']Huh? These are gonna sell like crazy. It's been in the top 100 selling DVDs on Amazon Japan for weeks now; it's currently the 25th best selling DVD/Blu-ray and it's the 8th best selling anime DVD/Blu-ray.

The Garden of Sinners Blu-ray box set sold 25,000 units, which was exactly how many were made, and it cost about $400. If you didn't already know, this price is normal for anime in Japan, which is why it's so expensive.

As for Fate/stay night, I'd say watch the show first and then play the visual novel, if you plan on playing the visual novel at all. The show is pretty much the first storyline with a handful of changes, which is only 1/3 of the whole story, so you're missing out on a lot if you don't play it. If you want to read my thoughts on the visual novel (it's spoiler free), you can go back a couple pages and read it here.

The easiest place to order it from is probably JList. If you want voices, you're also going to need to buy the PS2 version, which you can buy at PlayAsia. Also, you must install the Realta Nua enhancements as well; it changes some of the music, story, and CGs to those used in the PS2 game, and they are absolutely worth it.[/QUOTE]
I would understand it selling well in Japan, where these prices are normal, but I guess I underestimated how interested Americans would be in paying Japanese prices (especially for such little content.)

Thanks for the link to the PC game, though that price stings. Looks like the English patch and Realta Nua patches are separate? Is there a good guide to getting this all set up somewhere?

[quote name='pete5883']I would understand it selling well in Japan, where these prices are normal, but I guess I underestimated how interested Americans would be in paying Japanese prices (especially for such little content.)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I referring to its total sales, not just the sales from being imported to the US, since there's only one release, the Japanese release. Also, related to that, those Garden of Sinners sales numbers were its total sales, including domestic and international purchases.

I'm not really sure how well Fate/Zero will sell on Right Stuf. If I had to guess, Right Stuf probably only has about as many allocations as they did for The Garden of Sinners, since its the only other release like this.

[quote name='pete5883']Thanks for the link to the PC game, though that price stings. Looks like the English patch and Realta Nua patches are separate? Is there a good guide to getting this all set up somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, you might be able to save some money if you buy it from Amazon Japan for about $84, but since it's PC software, you'll have to use a forwarding service like Tenso (which is actually affordable and really easy). Tenso has a fee calculator if you want to see if you'll be saving any money if you buy it from Amazon Japan instead of JList.

Yes, the English patch and the Realta Nua patch are separate patches. As for a installation guide, I can provide that, haha. If you do buy it, and if you still have trouble getting everything set up after using this little guide I wrote, just let me know and I'll lend you a hand.

Fate/stay night installation guide:

1. Download the English patch from Mirror Moon.
2. Put the Fate/stay night game disc inside your computer.
3. Run the patch. The patch will install the game for you.
4. During installation of the patch, it will ask if you want voices. If you have the PS2 version of Fate/stay night, check it, and continue with the installation.
5. If you selected to install the voices, the patch will ask you to take out the game disc once it is done installing and insert the PS2 disc. It will then install the voices, which takes like two hours.
6. Once you are done installing the game, you can install any other patches, but you need to take care in what order you install any subsequent patches.
7. If I remember right, you install the Realta Nua patch next, which you can download from here. You'll notice on the page there is the patch and an update to the patch. Install the patch first, and then install the update.
8. If you want uncensored CGs, then you would install those next. Download it from here.
9. Now you're done. Play the game!

Thanks. I've forgotten about Tenso, I had been meaning to try it out. Looks like it would be about $20 to have them re-ship it, so I might just go with J-List just so I know I can actually contact customer service if I have a problem. Are voices really worth an extra $40?

[quote name='pete5883']Thanks. I've forgotten about Tenso, I had been meaning to try it out. Looks like it would be about $20 to have them re-ship it, so I might just go with J-List just so I know I can actually contact customer service if I have a problem. Are voices really worth an extra $40?[/QUOTE]

I think the voices added a lot of personality to the characters, and it made the whole experience much richer; the voice acting is really well done, and all of the characters' voices are memorable. I didn't regret my purchase at all; I couldn't imagine playing through all 80 hours of the game without any voices.

I saw the last episode of Durarara on adult swim last night, and I have to say that it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Although, it was definitely a Durarara kind of ending.

My local store that used to rent anime has been liquidating their former rentals, and I picked up a few dvds from there.
(all of these are complete in original dvd box with no damage to discs)
Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety
Niea under 7
Geobreeders (both dvds)
Read or Die tv series (original pioneer dvds)
Total I paid: $48.

[quote name='Razzuel']
I absolutely loved it, and I'm pretty disappointed that it's over. It's been such a great journey.

Also, Kurapica's struggle with the Spiders was unbelievable; one of the best parts of the show.
[/QUOTE]

So yeah I liked the show but honestly Greed Island is pretty disappointing and unnecessary feeling. I just wanted the whole Spiders thing resolved as it is the best part of the series and instead it just gets postponed. I guess the writer is the most inconsistent and non-working writer ever as he releases at a snails pace and puts the manga on hold all the time. Worse is the part in manga following it isn't about the Spiders or anything and just gets sort of stupid with human/insect Chimera Ants attacking or whatever.

It's a great show that is horribly mismanaged by the talent that created it.

I guess the ant arc is over now and maybe things will finally get back on track.

[quote name='Gden']My local store that used to rent anime has been liquidating their former rentals, and I picked up a few dvds from there.
(all of these are complete in original dvd box with no damage to discs)
Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety
Niea under 7
Geobreeders (both dvds)
Read or Die tv series (original pioneer dvds)
Total I paid: $48.[/QUOTE]

Risky Safety is a great show. I still have it on VHS fansubs (I have the DVDs too).

[quote name='Razzuel']I think the voices added a lot of personality to the characters, and it made the whole experience much richer; the voice acting is really well done, and all of the characters' voices are memorable. I didn't regret my purchase at all; I couldn't imagine playing through all 80 hours of the game without any voices.[/QUOTE]
Hah, now it turns out they're doing a PC port of Realta Nua. Figures. Guess I'll be waiting.

[quote name='Razzuel']Yeah, I saw that too, but there's no guarantee that someone's going to create a translation patch for it, so you might end up waiting in vain.[/QUOTE]
I would think a translation patch is inevitable, but I guess I might be waiting a long time. Probably will go ahead after all.

Finished watching Planetes, and it blew me away! I don't remember any buzz about this series, even when it came out 6 yrs ago, but it's the best I've watched this year (beating out Spice and Wolf). Planetes is categorized as sci-fi but portrays a very rational future (no giant robots, monsters, or aliens). The story and characters are terribly engrossing, the music and art match well with the realistic tone, the English dub is superb, and all of the story elements are pulled together by the end of the series.

So yeah, go watch Planetes :3

I recently finished True Tears and Professor Layton and The Eternal Diva.

True Tears was pretty good. It's another realistic, competent drama/romance like Rumbling Hearts, and like Rumbling Hearts, I really hated the ending, since I didn't like that
Shinichiro chose Hiromi. Hiromi was a pretty awful person and not very interesting. As I've dubbed it, she has Sakura Syndrome (a condition named after the character Sakura from Fate/stay night who has a horrible and specific personality).
. Besides the great drama, I really enjoyed Noe, since she's such an interesting and unique character — I can't really think of very many characters like her. Also, the facial expressions are fantastic; they show a lot of emotion and mood, which helps with the drama and comedy.

Professor Layton and The Eternal Diva was awesome. It's everything that I wanted out of a Professor Layton movie. Sure, I like the puzzles in the Professor Layton games, but the things that I really enjoy are the characters, the world, and the story of the games most of all. The movie has a handful of puzzles (that are also good) but the movie is mostly about a new mystery for Professor Layton and his apprentice Luke to solve, and it's executed excellently. It's a shame that Viz only decided to release it on DVD here because I imported the Bluray from the UK, and the movie looks fantastic; P.A. Works (the animation studio) completely captures the world of Professor Layton, and there are some confrontations in the movie that are animated very well.

This news sucks so hard about Bandai Entertainment.

Bandai Entertainment, the subsidiary of Namco Bandai Holdings (USA) that handles anime and manga in North America, will stop offering new DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and manga releases next month. It will continue to distribute in its existing catalog lineup, but it will no longer produce and distribute new releases as of this February.

Instead, Bandai Entertainment will focus on licensing rights to other companies, particularly in digital distribution, broadcast, and merchandising. The company will be restructured as a result, and most of its contractors and three of its five fulltime staff members will be laid off. ANN will publish an interview with Bandai Entertainment President and CEO Ken Iyadomi on Tuesday.

The following releases have been cancelled:
Anime DVD/Blu-ray Disc

Gosick
Nichijō
Turn A Gundam
Manga

Code Geass: Renya (Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya)
Gurren Lagann volume 7
Kannagi volumes 4-6
Lucky Star Boo Boo Kagaboo (spinoff by Eretto)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00I
Tales of the Abyss: Jade's Secret Memories volumes 1 and 2

Releases in Bandai Entertainment's current catalog will still be available after February, and Bandai Entertainment plans to produce new stock on these existing releases, if needed, until their respective licenses expire.

Bandai Entertainment closed its own online store in December, but other retailers can still order and carry Bandai Entertainment's current releases as before.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...tainment-to-stop-releasing-new-dvds-bds-manga

Turn A Gundam being canceled makes me VERY sad. :(

Bandai meant a lot to me, since most of my favorite anime was licensed by them.

[quote name='coolsteel']Who the hell does this leave again out of the major players ? Funimation and Viz?[/QUOTE]
It's mostly FUNimation, Viz, Sentai, NIS America, Aniplex America, and Media Blasters. I might be missing one.

They'll still be licensing stuff to other companies. So it's not like we'll never see any more Bandai anime in the US. Hopefully Funi and Sentai pick up lots of licenses.

The story isn't really clear on what will happen to the stuff that they're currently releasing & won't wrap up before the end of February.

ANN has already mentioned that the blu-ray of Gundam Unicorn will continue, as that's being released by Bandai Visual. But the DVD will more than likely stop being released, as that version was being released by Bandai Entertainment.

There's supposed to be a follow-up story posted sometime tuesday that will clear up some of the details of Bandai doing this.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Finally watched Akira, easily some of the best animation I've ever seen -- though the movie itself was pretty poor.[/QUOTE]

They had to trim a lot of stuff in order to make it a movie. Although personally, I thought the movie version was still pretty good.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Finally watched Akira, easily some of the best animation I've ever seen -- though the movie itself was pretty poor.[/QUOTE]

I've always felt that way about it

Finished watching The Sacred Blacksmith. It was pretty average with nice art, animation, and English dub. The story starts to build but doesn't go anywhere. The ending resolves little (or maybe nothing) and leaves the series open for a second season. What is currently available is an alright time waster if you can rent or stream it but not worth a buy.

Hated that show with a passion after that ending, worry more about setting up a real story for season one before fishing for a second series.

Marathoned most of Mushishi today and yesterday. Probably should have taken my time like I did with Kino's Journey, though, heh. What can I say, I can't help myself sometimes. :p Each episode follows the same formula, with a couple of exceptions. Even a lot of the characters look almost identical, haha. Some really great individual stories though! I also love the intro song. The show is basically a nice collection of creative Japanese fables, in the guise of a so-called "Mushishi" (spirit doctor, sort of) helping solve "Mushi" (spirit, sort of) mysteries. It's just slightly overrated IMHO--at least on MAL, I get the impression that people think breaking a few anime stereotypes, using slower pacing, and nice art makes it a freaking work of God (albeit, that does put it above most series, though)--but still quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:

I just finished watching Akira the other day for the first time too. I enjoyed it. Like you said, the animation was amazing, but the story could have used some work. I didn't think it was poor — I thought it was good — but I felt like it rushed some things and didn't explain as much as I would have liked.

I'll probably buy the manga the next time it's on sale on Right Stuf.

bread's done
Back