Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='Razzuel']Whoa, whoa, whoa. That is a misleading statement. The Crunchyroll PS3 app does not have HD. However, Crunchyroll's website does stream 1080p and 720p. If you're a normal person and don't want to watch Crunchyroll on your laptop or monitor, then to enjoy that HD goodness all you gotta do is hook up your PC to your TV, which is what I do.

Also, don't let Crunchyroll's PS3 app dictate whether you get a premium subscription; you should have one anyway, since it's extremely worth it. They always get a ton of the new shows each season and their back catalog is huge and continues to grow. It's an incredible deal for only $60 a year.[/QUOTE]Well, I was responding to another post talking about the ps3 crunchyroll app, so I forgot to distinguish it. Sorry about that one.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Just watched Rosario + Vampire. I really liked it, however, I thought the second season was far better than the first. Just started watching Birdy The Mighty: Decode, but just can't get into it. Not sure what anime to watch now. Wish Netflix would get some more titles.

Has anyone heard of Neon Alley? I read that they're going to have an app on the PS3 this fall and will be showing the final Inuyasha episodes and a bunch of other new anime shows.[/QUOTE]Don't count on netflix getting as much anime as they have in the past. With publishers like Funimation making their own streaming services it just doesn't make sense to let netflix have that content, too. It sucks because I rather have one streaming service (netflix) than have to go to a bunch of different services for content.

Neon Alley has a few shows I want to check out, but it seems it'll operate more like a 24 hour network as opposed to being on demand like Netflix/Crunchyroll... which sounds horrible.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Well, I was responding to another post talking about the ps3 crunchyroll app, so I forgot to distinguish it. Sorry about that one.[/QUOTE]
I knew what you were saying. The PS3 application is actually pretty spotty anyway. I was watching some of the free episodes that they had up, and there were a number of times where the screen image stuttered or froze while the audio continued to play. When watching a subtitled show, this is pretty much horrible.

Although this isn't anime related, it does relate to my previous post about picking up Gintama. I don't feel bad about paying a little more for the 4th volume anymore. Today I picked up Seasons 1-4 of Are You Afraid of the Dark as part of that same buy 3 get 1 free sale. They were marked $3.99 each. :whee:

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I knew what you were saying. The PS3 application is actually pretty spotty anyway. I was watching some of the free episodes that they had up, and there were a number of times where the screen image stuttered or froze while the audio continued to play. When watching a subtitled show, this is pretty much horrible.

Although this isn't anime related, it does relate to my previous post about picking up Gintama. I don't feel bad about paying a little more for the 4th volume anymore. Today I picked up Seasons 1-4 of Are You Afraid of the Dark as part of that same buy 3 get 1 free sale. They were marked $3.99 each. :whee:[/QUOTE]

thats the nickelodeon show? its been years since i saw it, stories were pretty good. When you see gintama tell me how it is been interested in watching it. Saw the first two vol of Fighting spirit yesterday, loving it so far, going to pick up vol 3 on rightstuf but vol 4 is expensive everywhere else :(, cheapest i saw was 20 on ebay

Been watching the Persona 4 anime on the show since I am balls deep in the fighting game. How close is it to the PS2 game? Because I kinda want to play it, but if it is the same as the anime, I will pass.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Well, I was responding to another post talking about the ps3 crunchyroll app, so I forgot to distinguish it. Sorry about that one.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to apologize, haha. I just wanted to make sure no one made that mistake of misinterpreting your statement.

[quote name='ShogunNage']thats the nickelodeon show? its been years since i saw it, stories were pretty good. When you see gintama tell me how it is been interested in watching it. Saw the first two vol of Fighting spirit yesterday, loving it so far, going to pick up vol 3 on rightstuf but vol 4 is expensive everywhere else :(, cheapest i saw was 20 on ebay[/QUOTE]Gintama is awesome. Worth getting all 4 volumes and the movie. You could watch a few episodes on crunchyroll to see if it's something you'll like. It's too bad that Sentai probably won't be releasing more volumes, but at least there is crunchyroll for the rest.

So awhile back I noticed that Amazon has two listings for the new Berserk Blu Ray. They were different prices, so I went ahead and ordered them both in case one was put up by mistake. The prices have changed around (the cheaper one is now more expensive and vice-versa), and now I'm even more confused than I was before.

Does anyone know why Amazon has two active listings for this?

A) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U17L12/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

B) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UE8ICK/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

I have A preordered for $17.49 and B preordered for $17.32.

[quote name='tangytangerine']A appears to be a duplicate listing that hasn't been removed yet, while B is the real listing. B is actually listing a product to add to your cart for pre-order, while A is just listing a price and no product.[/QUOTE]
I figured A was most likely a placeholder that never got deleted. I just thought it was odd though that the price changed on that listing a few days after I ordered one. Mostly though, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a limited edition coming, or (even worse) a separate release for each language option.

edit: It looks like it also dropped to $16.99 tonight.

Also ordered it after the price drop tonight. Was hoping to find it in my quick picks but I'd rather not miss out on a low price. This movie was pretty disappointing seeing as the first part just summarizes about half the show that was already done years ago, but follows the manga more closely I hear. Was hoping for something new, like a side story or something. Not quite sure I like the animation style either, since it mixes some CGI and the characters move a bit robotic. Still, it's one of the few dark fantasy animes out there so I have to support it.

Really wish a new IP would pop up and blow me away again. :\

[quote name='PimpLimp']Anyone else see this little teaser trailer yet?

http://youtu.be/veTVm2a-S0w[/QUOTE]
its a movie or a new series or what? hope this isn't a new trend in anime doing the mixed cgi stuff (i know its been done a lot but i hope companies don't latch onto this style as the go to one)

[quote name='crystalklear64']its a movie or a new series or what? hope this isn't a new trend in anime doing the mixed cgi stuff (i know its been done a lot but i hope companies don't latch onto this style as the go to one)[/QUOTE]It's supposed to be a movie. Here's a little article I pulled: "The new movie will be set between the anime Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, which is exactly between the 517th and 518th chapters of the original manga. The movie will be directed by Masahiro Hosoda and written by Yūsuke Watanabe, with Tadayoshi Yamamuro acting as the lead animation director. The original Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama will also be involved in the production of the movie. "

Has anyone picked up and watched any of the Shakugan no Shana season 1 BD/DVD set Funimation just put out? I own an original box set (still sealed) and was wondering what I should do.

I'm going to want to pick up the season 2 box sets, but I don't know about picking up Season 1 again. I like the idea of a uniform-looking set on a shelf (and having it on blu ray), but I was wondering if there were other reasons or quality differences that would persuade me to do otherwise.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Has anyone picked up and watched any of the Shakugan no Shana season 1 BD/DVD set Funimation just put out? I own an original box set (still sealed) and was wondering what I should do.

I'm going to want to pick up the season 2 box sets, but I don't know about picking up Season 1 again. I like the idea of a uniform-looking set on a shelf (and having it on blu ray), but I was wondering if there were other reasons or quality differences that would persuade me to do otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Completely forgot that came out. Judging from the reviews, it depends on if you want a version on blu-ray or not. Because it sounds like the DVDs offer nothing new(besides a different subtitle font style) from the Geneon/original Funimation releases.

Most of the reviews I read did mention that the Blu-rays didn't seem to be in real HD and looked like it was an upscale instead. Some of the screenshots I saw did seem a little off for HD, like this one . So like I said, it just depends on if you want a version on Blu-ray or not.

Was looking at trailers on a couple of recent releases I got and was wondering what people thought about: Shangrila, Fafner, Tales of Vespira, Last exile and Fractile. I appologize for any misspelling as I am too lazy to look the names up.

Both Last Exile (and it's sequel) are great watches. To be honest, Last Exile is one of the very few anime that I can rewatch and never grow bored of it.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Was looking at trailers on a couple of recent releases I got and was wondering what people thought about: Shangrila, Fafner, Tales of Vespira, Last exile and Fractile. I appologize for any misspelling as I am too lazy to look the names up.[/QUOTE]

I bought Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike about a month and thought it was pretty good. I've never played the game, but it didn't hinder my enjoyment at all; I'd recommend it.

[quote name='GUNNM']I saw this trailer dunno what it is[/QUOTE]I'm almost a 100% positive that trailer is fake and has to do with the rumored "Dragon Ball Hoshi" series that was floating around. The trailer I posted was actually part of a larger TV spot that aired in Japan and has been confirmed as real. Here's the original TV spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aj5fhWna0k

Hoshi was confirmed as fake and another fan made up idea already wasn't it?Love DBZ myself but I'd like to see it die without anymore remakes/remasters.The only one I'd like to see it again is possibly fitting in a movie every now and then maybe somewhere within the past canon timeframe,but even then sort of feels like DBZ in anime format should stay dead.

I was at Best Buy earlier and was caught off guard to see of my favorite anime on the shelf, Haibane Renmei. I thought it was too niche to ever see a re-release but there it was. I immediately thought about buying a copy just for the slip cover.

I'm also wrapping up Bamboo Blade. I really enjoyed all the personalities, especially the relationship between Dan-kun and Miya Miya (her dark side is hilarious).

The World God Only Knows S2 was great. I especially enjoyed the student teacher capture. Like the first season, the last episode is dedicated to Keima's obsession with games and reflects the more quirky side of the manga. Hoping for a third season :3

Just marathoned all of Another this weekend. A decent show with one of the best endings ever. Oh man...DAT ENDING, it was just so fun to watch that all go down.

It's been six months since the last volume (14) of Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei was released in the US. Has anyone heard anything about Kodansha USA cancelling the manga? I haven't heard anything about them cancelling anything since their initial takeover of the books Del Rey was licensing from them.

Finished Shangri la, Hajime no Ippo, XxxHolic, Karin, Get Backers, and Lucky star these last couple months.

Was looking into picking up copies of Revolutionary Girl Utena and Durarara!. Was wondering what people thought of these since their kind of expensive.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']It's been six months since the last volume (14) of Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei was released in the US. Has anyone heard anything about Kodansha USA cancelling the manga? I haven't heard anything about them cancelling anything since their initial takeover of the books Del Rey was licensing from them.[/QUOTE]

They canceled stuff silently before,like with Suzuka which only had three volumes left.Hopefully they decide to release the rest in omnibus.

New Evangelion 3.0 film poster:
1351149118.jpg

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Can't freaken wait!!![/QUOTE]Me neither!!! But unfortunately I don't live in Japan nor do I speak Japanese :cry: So I'm probably gonna have to wait at least another year to see this. Gotta wait until this movie hits retail in Japan and somebody buys a copy, puts subs on it, and then throws it up online. I'll definitely support the film when it hits the US but I'm just too impatient to wait.

Here's a brand new 30 second trailer for the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-AL_RxFQqk

And now going along with the release cycle of the 1.0, 2.0 and now 3.0, the last film of the tetralogy isn't coming out till at least 2015. All I really want is a box set with all 4 movies in Blu-Ray form and I'll just aim and throw my money at whoever I need to.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Watched the first episode of Sword Art Online earlier this morning, seemed pretty good might try and watch some more.[/QUOTE]

The first episode is the only good episode. They do a good job setting up the world in the first episode and the idea of being inside of an MMO has a lot of potential, but after episode one, Sword Art Online turns into a pile of shit.

[quote name='Razzuel']The first episode is the only good episode. They do a good job setting up the world in the first episode and the idea of being inside of an MMO has a lot of potential, but after episode one, Sword Art Online turns into a pile of shit.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? Shame looked quite decent. I might check out a few more just to see how bag it gets.

[quote name='PimpLimp']New Evangelion 3.0 film poster:
[/QUOTE]
Happy to see the poster as I haven't heard anything about the new Evangelion movies in a long time.Are they still planning on releasing 3 and 4 at the same time?

[quote name='Magiblaze']Happy to see the poster as I haven't heard anything about the new Evangelion movies in a long time.Are they still planning on releasing 3 and 4 at the same time?[/QUOTE]Nope, the plan to release them together was abandoned about a year ago. They announced in early January of this year that the 4th and final movie was coming out it 2013. But following the release schedule of the first 3 movies and given that 3.0 is just now releasing at the end of this year, I'm not expecting it till 2014 at the earliest.

Next month, roughly the first 6 1/2 minutes of the movie are going to be shown on TV in Japan after an airing of 2.0: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new.../3.0-film-1st-7-minutes-to-air-before-opening

Finished watching some series:

Gunslinger Girl S2 is very good. The first time I watched S1 a few years ago I didn't care much for it, but I liked it a lot this time around. I probably wasn't into slow stories back then. It was interesting how the art style changes between S1 and S2. I prefer the art style of the first, but appreciated the colors in the second. I love that Triela and Clause get more attention in S2

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PimpLimp']Well, it's a sad day. Katekyo Hitman Reborn is officially over :cry:[/QUOTE]

Places are saying the last chapter is next week. Although, this week's chapter sort of felt like an ending.

I do feel pretty depressed that it's ending. The last couple arcs have been lacking in quality, but I've followed it for so many years, it feels like losing a friend.

bread's done
Back