Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

So... tried neon genesis evangelion the other day... and I frickin love it!! Can't believe I skipped over it all these years. I have vol. 7 left of the platinum collection and then the movie.

Can anyone recommend something like it via PM? I heard Macross and spaceship Yamato(sp?) are good. Gantz and Ergo Proxy and Black Butler look interesting too. I'm a fan of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Gundam Wing and such. Any recommendation is appreciated.

[quote name='crystalklear64']woah woah. one piece haters take a hike![/QUOTE]

I second that, one piece is the one weekly anime I can count on not to have filler episodes that take months to get through.

[quote name='crystalklear64']woah woah. one piece haters take a hike![/QUOTE]
Is that in response to me? Because I'm not actually a one piece hater.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Places are saying the last chapter is next week. Although, this week's chapter sort of felt like an ending.

I do feel pretty depressed that it's ending. The last couple arcs have been lacking in quality, but I've followed it for so many years, it feels like losing a friend.[/QUOTE]Yeah I'm not expecting much from next weeks chapter though. Probably just a little glimpse into the future of all the characters to wrap it all up.

I'd say Reborn was probably one of my top 5 manga to come out of WSJ in the last 10 years. Looking forward to the mangaka's next work.

[quote name='moon_knight']Is that in response to me? Because I'm not actually a one piece hater.[/QUOTE]Yes, I think it was written in response to you. But I thought you were being sarcastic when you originally responded to what I wrote which is why I never thought it was necessary to write anything back.

[quote name='raiden_86']So... tried neon genesis evangelion the other day... and I frickin love it!! Can't believe I skipped over it all these years. I have vol. 7 left of the platinum collection and then the movie.

Can anyone recommend something like it via PM? I heard Macross and spaceship Yamato(sp?) are good. Gantz and Ergo Proxy and Black Butler look interesting too. I'm a fan of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Gundam Wing and such. Any recommendation is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Its my personal favorite myself, and if you still haven't watched the end then your in for quite a ride. A few anime series to throw out there in the "kid pilots giant robot and crazy shit happens" genre would be Eureka Seven, Code Geass, Gundam 00, Fanfner(havent finished yet), Gurren Lagann, the original Gundam 0079 series, Macross was pretty good as well.

^ Thank you, I will definitely look those up & add them to my list. I usually like distopia/sci-fi. Heard good things about Eureks & Gundam 0079.

[quote name='raiden_86']^ Thank you, I will definitely look those up & add them to my list. I usually like distopia/sci-fi. Heard good things about Eureks & Gundam 0079.[/QUOTE]

Check out Texnolyze if your into that genre. Ergo Proxy is a good choice too,but the plot does fall apart in the last few episodes.

[quote name='raiden_86']So... tried neon genesis evangelion the other day... and I frickin love it!! Can't believe I skipped over it all these years. I have vol. 7 left of the platinum collection and then the movie.

Can anyone recommend something like it via PM? I heard Macross and spaceship Yamato(sp?) are good. Gantz and Ergo Proxy and Black Butler look interesting too. I'm a fan of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Gundam Wing and such. Any recommendation is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Evangelion's newest movie will be l\released this saturday!!!
I am sooooo going. I will go alone if i have to!!

Reading the latest Bleach chapter.Spoilers below in black so do not highlight unless you've read or want to know spoilers.

SPOILERS BELOW RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

Ichigo has Quincy blood too.Feels like they've ran out of ideas for how to make Ichigo reach the next level of power.So now hes got Shinigami,Hollow,Fullbring and now Quincy powers as well lol.

End of Spoilers.

Wasn't this reveled two weeks ago?

Ichigo is gonna be able to shoot testanfujg gnsuta arrows and then retract his bow into a shrunken and hurl his body out of this shitty manga.
One piece is the only thing that has stayed decent in manga. I gave up on berserk and its 1 chapter a year shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Magiblaze']spoilers[/QUOTE]It would've been a lot easier to use the spoiler tag lol. Like so
See?

I still like the action in Bleach but I think the story is going further and further downhill. In hindsight, other than Ichigo getting his powers back, the Fullbring Arc was completely useless and unnecessary.

I can't remember exactly but I believe Kubo said that this or the next arc would be the last for Bleach.

Why doesn't anyone die in bleach btw? Bukayyka was like good bye ichigo I'm dying and two chapters later he's chilling in the hospital

[quote name='PimpLimp']It would've been a lot easier to use the spoiler tag lol. Like so
See?

I still like the action in Bleach but I think the story is going further and further downhill. In hindsight, other than Ichigo getting his powers back, the Fullbring Arc was completely useless and unnecessary.

I can't remember exactly but I believe Kubo said that this or the next arc would be the last for Bleach.[/QUOTE]

I think this will be the last. Its a shame it was so amazing pre and all the way up to soul society arc and then he just stopped trying and I had no idea what the fullbring arc accomplished they could have just sent all of the captains with a sword and stabbed ichigo and saved 3 months of this shitty arc

[quote name='GUNNM']Why doesn't anyone die in bleach btw?[/QUOTE]What? How quickly we forget!
R.I.P Genryuusai

[quote name='moon_knight']Bleach is just dumb fun at this point, which is a shame because it could have been a lot better.[/QUOTE]I honestly couldn't have said it any better myself.

[quote name='moon_knight']Bleach is just dumb fun at this point, which is a shame because it could have been a lot better.[/QUOTE]

That's basically most shonens in a nutshell. They start out promising,and then go down hill really fast.

[quote name='PimpLimp']I can't remember exactly but I believe Kubo said that this or the next arc would be the last for Bleach.[/QUOTE]

He said it'll be the last arc, but it'll also be longer than the Arrancar arc. So we're still at least 3-4+ years away.

[quote name='GUNNM']Wasn't this reveled two weeks ago?
[/QUOTE]
It was. I noticed it a bit later when seeing I had another chapter already downloaded.

[quote name='PimpLimp']It would've been a lot easier to use the spoiler tag lol. Like so
See?

[/QUOTE]
That is a lot easier!

[quote name='GUNNM']Why doesn't anyone die in bleach btw? Bukayyka was like good bye ichigo I'm dying and two chapters later he's chilling in the hospital

[/QUOTE]
It is something that becomes painfully noticeable.Would be nice to see people actually stay dead.By the end of the arc whats his face might even show up again saying he had been alive all along.

As for similar, RahXephon and it's compressed movie version. Save the movie for last, as it would spoil it all, but it is a bit different and helps fill in some stuff the series didn't show.

Ergo Proxy is good, great cast, and Pino is adorable. If you liked the mystery of Paranoia Agent you should see When They Cry.

[quote name='moon_knight']Another one piece movie? I am surprised.[/QUOTE]Yup, it's ONLY film #12. It's the first set in the New World and it has Avril Lavigne covering a Nickelback song. What more could you want?

Didn't garp leave the marines? I'm guessing this movie is set before Ace dies? As if timelines matter in shounen side movies.

[quote name='GUNNM']Didn't garp leave the marines? I'm guessing this movie is set before Ace dies? As if timelines matter in shounen side movies.[/QUOTE]Where did you get that Garp is still in the marines in that trailer? The villain in the new movie is a former navy admiral and was most likely friends with Garp while both were in the navy. Luffy also has the X-shaped scar on his chest, clearly showing that this is after the events of Marineford.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Where did you get that Garp is still in the marines in that trailer? The villain in the new movie is a former navy admiral and was most likely friends with Garp while both were in the navy. Luffy also has the X-shaped scar on his chest, clearly showing that this is after the events of Marineford.[/QUOTE]
Oh I didn't see that I was just skipping through it and saw what looked like garp in front of a bunch of fire.

I guess the dude at 1:11 isn't garp? my bads yo

[quote name='Angie7F']Eva 3 will be released outside of Japan already,right?[/QUOTE]It will....in time. Who knows if it will see a limited theatrical release in the states like the last two movies did, but don't expect to see it hit DVD outside of Japan for another year and a half to two years.

EDIT: And Evangelion 3.0 just earned Japan's highest weekend box office of 2012 this past weekend. This doesn't mean much but it does bode well for the movie getting localized here that much faster.

Berserk: The Golden Age - The Egg of the King CE:
91%2B2NuMR6YL._AA1500_.jpg

It comes out on December 24th. Can't find it on the Amazon US site, but it's available for pre-order in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008X70QE2

[quote name='coolsteel']When the heck did Ranma 1/2 go out of print?[/QUOTE]

It's been OOP for a couple years now. Last batches Viz printed was back in 2009. It just took awhile for that inventory to sell and then people realized that Viz hasn't printed anymore since.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Berserk: The Golden Age - The Egg of the King CE:

It comes out on December 24th. Can't find it on the Amazon US site, but it's available for pre-order in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008X70QE2[/QUOTE]

It looks like the U.S. is only getting the regular edition: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UE8ICK

But at least you'll be able to watch it a month before the UK edition, since it comes out tomorrow.

[quote name='Gden']Is world god only knows worth picking up? It's on sale for the 12 days of anime.[/QUOTE]
Yes! I love the manga, and the anime is a great adaptation. $49 for both seasons is a steal. They are usually like $40 a piece at the lowest.

Looks like they are also selling the individual seasons for $25.

I got my Lain blu ray box set in the mail from Right Stuf a couple of days ago. Boy am I glad I picked that up. The series looks great, and the book and everything is really well put together. Honestly, it doesn't seem like a Funimation release (no offense intended funi). There's some minor dings and imperfections on my copy (the disc cases don't come out easily) but nothing visible while it's on the shelf.

If any of you are debating about getting it, I encourage you to do so.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I got my Lain blu ray box set in the mail from Right Stuf a couple of days ago. Boy am I glad I picked that up. The series looks great, and the book and everything is really well put together. Honestly, it doesn't seem like a Funimation release (no offense intended funi). There's some minor dings and imperfections on my copy (the disc cases don't come out easily) but nothing visible while it's on the shelf.

If any of you are debating about getting it, I encourage you to do so.[/QUOTE]

I hate to rain on your parade here, but it looks noticeably worse than the Japanese release. I don't know what Funimation did, but whatever it was, they introduced some really bad banding into the show and messed with the brightness. I think it's laughable that this is supposed to be one of their most special releases, but then they ultimately fuck it up.

It probably would have helped if they spread the whole show across two BD-50s, not a BD-50 and a BD-25. I mean, why does Heaven's Lost Property get better treatment (it's on two BD-50s) than Lain, something they tout as incredibly special.

So for anyone out there considering buying the Lain Blu-ray, know that you're not getting the best possible release.

Examples: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?11343-Serial-Experiments-Lain/page10&p=148526#post148526

[quote name='Gden']Is world god only knows worth picking up? It's on sale for the 12 days of anime.[/QUOTE]

Just watch the first episode. Personally I didn't like it very much.

No 6 at $25 isn't too bad, any impressions?

Also anyone seen the Berserk movie? Looks like a sweet CE but I loved the original anime, ended shitty but movie still looks interesting.

[quote name='Razzuel']I hate to rain on your parade here, but it looks noticeably worse than the Japanese release. I don't know what Funimation did, but whatever it was, they introduced some really bad banding into the show and messed with the brightness. I think it's laughable that this is supposed to be one of their most special releases, but then they ultimately fuck it up.

It probably would have helped if they spread the whole show across two BD-50s, not a BD-50 and a BD-25. I mean, why does Heaven's Lost Property get better treatment (it's on two BD-50s) than Lain, something they tout as incredibly special.

So for anyone out there considering buying the Lain Blu-ray, know that you're not getting the best possible release.

Examples: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?11343-Serial-Experiments-Lain/page10&p=148526#post148526[/QUOTE]
Well, that makes me feel better actually, it certainly IS a Funimation release then. :D Admittedly I just grabbed a random episode and watched it, and was copmparing it to the old Pioneer releases (which I think it would look better than those even if I closed my eyes). After reading through that link, it sounds like I dodged a huge bullet by only having the physical packaging be slightly damaged. That's a big problem when you're trying to sell your release as a special, limited edition set.

Although that image comparison is disappointing, I paid $48, and got $30 in Amazon credit for the old pioneer ones (God bless the fact that the old boxsets were just the individual cases inside of an outer sleeve ;)) I can't exactly expect the same quality as a $300 Japanese set.

[quote name='the_punisher']Also anyone seen the Berserk movie? Looks like a sweet CE but I loved the original anime, ended shitty but movie still looks interesting.[/QUOTE]
So far it has just been a recap of the series that was already put on DVD, but at a much faster pace only touching on key plot points. Only recommended for hardcore fans honestly.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']http://anime.mikomi.org/series/2386/Aa! Megami-sama OVA 2011.html

So it just came to my attention that Aa! Megamisama put out a 2 part OVA in 2011, my mind is blown. Any chance of this and maybe the 2007 Angel Eater OVA coming out on DVD for US? I don't want the dub, just a R1 DVD.[/QUOTE]

Ask Funimation, judging from the latest ANNCast, they're always looking for suggestions for stuff to pick up. Just don't expect Media Blasters to pick it up. Because that company sounds like they're on their death bed and actually lost the license to the 1st season.

BTW, there is another Ah! My Goddess OVA coming out next summer.

bread's done
Back