ANIME suggestions...

I just bought a bunch of things from the sale. I picked up the entirety of season 2 of Ah! My Goddess, along with a couple DVDs of Full Metal Alchemist. The FMA is a Christmas present for my girlfriend, but the AMG DVDs are all mine :D

Anyway, I personally recommend Ah! My Goddess, Full Metal Alchemist, and Full Metal Panic. I'm sure there are a number of other great things on there, but those are a couple of my favorites that I recommend to friends who are trying to get into anime.

Read the OP, slime. :/

Get Elfen Lied and My Hime. I! My! Me! Strawberry Eggs is personal fav, but I'm not sure if you'd like it.

[quote name='georox']Elfen Lied is excellent.

Excel Saga, seriously.[/quote]

Oh, god. I love Excel Saga. Would not recommend it to a noob, though. Most of the enjoyment I got out of it was the references. Also, it's mostly out of stock.

I'd recommend Gad Guard, but it's a bit too pricey. Last Exile is well worth the price though.

DoubleEcks is trolling you. Do not listen to him.

berserk, samurai champloo, gungrave, hellsing ova, baki, and air gear for the noobs

[quote name='DoubleEcksZero']Tenjho Tenge is cool[/QUOTE]
This.

Also - DaiGuard, Godannar, Gravion, Maburaho, Mahoromatic, New Getter Robo, and the first series of Saiyuki.

From that list, I'd recommend these two highest (for accessibility):

Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist (has season sets coming soon)

And these slightly lower:
Full Metal Panic (don't see all of it in the bin)
Last Exile
Paranoia Agent (heavily research this before you buy it, if you choose to)
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Trinity Blood (IMO, what you'd consider a popcorn "flick")
Yu Yu Hakusho (season sets are cheaper, rightstuf should have them at $20)

Series that I've heard good things about (but haven't seen in their entirety/at all):
Fighting Spirit
Gankutsuou
Heat Guy J
Samurai 7
X TV

Basically, all of the series listed above are all A-B series that should be easy to get into as a starter series. All of the dubs are done fairly well, and should be enjoyable without having watched a lot of anime before. If you want a sample of how they are, you should be able to dub clips/episodes on youtube, among other places. You may also be able to find better prices by shopping around for some of those.

Also, rightstuf will be running their 12 days of christmas sale (and have several series on sale afterwards), so keep an eye on that, too.

I'm only going to say one series.... and one series only. this is the series that universally all my friends liked.

"Cowboy Bebop"

Find it somehow and watch it. You will become a better person.

Cowboy Bebop was my first anime, and still my favorite without a doubt. I think it would be a good choice. Others I would recommend are Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Paranoia Agent and most definitely Excel Saga. That last one is hilarious!

So many of these posts are ignoring the fact that he's new to anime. I would never in a million years suggest some of this shit to him (Tenjho Tenge, Excel Saga, Elfed Lied) unless you wanted to scare him away from anime forever. You guys are mean.

That said, here are six shows you can't go wrong with:

Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo
R.O.D The TV
Samurai 7
Neon Genesis Evangelion

I also highly approve of X TV, Last Exile, Fighting Spirit, Chevalier, My-HiME, Ah! My Goddess, Paranoia Agent, and a few others which aren't quite up to the entry-level stuff I listed above.

Of the recommendations above, Air Gear, Berserk, Baki, Elfen Lied, Excel Saga, Haruhi, Strawberry Eggs, Tenjho Tenge, and most of WhipSmartBanky's recommendations aren't exactly good "starter" anime. You may find that you like them later, but for now, I feel those would make you lose interest in anime rather quickly.

All of Kirin Lemon's picks are sound. Neon Genesis Evangelion is iffy, because of the ending (that might kill interest for a first time viewer), but the rest are fine.

[quote name='G33']All of Kirin Lemon's picks are sound. Neon Genesis Evangelion is iffy, because of the ending (that might kill interest for a first time viewer), but the rest are fine.[/QUOTE]

I put Eva in there because it was *the* gateway anime back in the late 90's. But yeah, that darn ending...

I thought Saint Seiya was the greatest anime ever when I was a kid. One of the few anime where I felt is just as good as the original manga. It is also extremely popular in Latin America and France. Since it first aired in the late 80s it is also older than most of the stuff mentioned. Plus it has influence on newer manga like bleach and gin tama. It is worth checking out even for the anime expert. The only problem is that you are getting like half the series and I am not sure if there is an easy way to complete.

For a newbie and in the bargain bin?

Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk.

Evangelion 01 was the first Anime DVD I ever bought. It seriously hooked me like a drug.

bread's done
Back