Annoying trend continues...(incomplete games)

Mospeada_21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Disclaimer: I apologize in advance cause starting this thread will ultimately bug some folks in one way or another.

In considering purchasing new games such as Cars 2 and DiRT 3; have you seen the volume of DLC available online? This is ridiculous. If you paid $50 - $60, plus all the DLC it could easily be another $15 - $25 for the stripped out content.

I think these are risky moves by the publisher/developers because games that sell well could reap additional benefits in attachment sales, but panned titles are doomed to be severely discounted. It's just a sad state of gaming overall, when quality is sacrificed.

Middle finger solute to all those publishers.

Split/Second could of benefited if they had all the dlc on retail. More modes = less reason to care about the dozen maps' "repetition" (doesn't bother me, but to some critics it did even though traditional racers are as repetitious as you can think).

It only bugs me when it's obvious they cut it out. ie: Split/Second had 12 "episodes" but only 11 racing maps, but soon there was a 12th (mine level).

I dislike the game that after you spend hours and hours playing you get to the ending and its 15 seconds long and the developer pulls the fucking "To be continued card" on you. Ala resistance 2 or alan wake. Alan wake being the worst because it wasnt just a shooter like resistance 2 was, but they tacked on this uninsightful ending that made no sense and just set you up to buy more DLC just so you could get some resolution.

Ive been saying for years and years DLC is a bad thing and no one believed me. But its starting to show now because devs pimp their dlc before the core game even comes out, they leave shit out of the 60 dollar game so they can turn it into a 80 dollar game.

Even like mortal kombat. Boon preached about how he was keeping down the cast to make the game stronger and more streamlined, soon as the game launches they start selling costum packs for more characters.

The idea behind DLC is later on down the road a dev that thinks of something cool to do they didnt do before could add it in to a exsisting game, like what they did with GTA4. Now devs are planning dlc before the game launches.

I dont buy dlc and I never will because I wont support. Because I wont support short cutting, removal of content just to jack up the price and not being able to actually own the content I buy myself. DLC will only get worse, soon games will be released as it in sections or they will start leaving endings to games.

[quote name='gargus']I dislike the game that after you spend hours and hours playing you get to the ending and its 15 seconds long and the developer pulls the fucking "To be continued card" on you. Ala resistance 2 or alan wake. Alan wake being the worst because it wasnt just a shooter like resistance 2 was, but they tacked on this uninsightful ending that made no sense and just set you up to buy more DLC just so you could get some resolution.

Ive been saying for years and years DLC is a bad thing and no one believed me. But its starting to show now because devs pimp their dlc before the core game even comes out, they leave shit out of the 60 dollar game so they can turn it into a 80 dollar game.

Even like mortal kombat. Boon preached about how he was keeping down the cast to make the game stronger and more streamlined, soon as the game launches they start selling costum packs for more characters.

The idea behind DLC is later on down the road a dev that thinks of something cool to do they didnt do before could add it in to a exsisting game, like what they did with GTA4. Now devs are planning dlc before the game launches.

I dont buy dlc and I never will because I wont support. Because I wont support short cutting, removal of content just to jack up the price and not being able to actually own the content I buy myself. DLC will only get worse, soon games will be released as it in sections or they will start leaving endings to games.[/QUOTE]
I agree I see it as something that can only get worse with time.

I remember being strongly disturbed by the L.A. Noire DLC, and how it was obviously supposed to be stringed into the main storyline. While Rockstar did give a decent deal for its DLC (at least via XBL, not sure if Rockstar pass ever made it to PSN) and there were constricting demands on available disc space (if the DLC was included the xbox 360 version of L.A. Noire would've been pushing 4 discs!) I still find it ridiculous they charged extra monies for cases that were blatantly part of the main game experience

the only time i buy DLC is if its super cheap one sale- mass effect 2
or if its a game i really love like Magic.

otherwise i saw shaq fu u and ill wait for the GOTY or Ultimate edition

Red Dead Redemption is an example of both the right and wrong way to do DLC.

Bad
DLC that should have been on disc
Liars and cheats, thieves and killers, co-op challenges...but...

Good
Free Co-op maps that should have been included in the first place.
Awesome extra campaign mission with the Undead Nightmare.

Also good
Offering up a pack of all the DLC at a discounted price.

Now if more companies would take advantage of the good opportunities and skip the bad, we could be happier gamers.

bread's done
Back