Another Case Of Super Frank?

H.Cornerstone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I was reading the IGN Resident Evil review, and I read that it got a 9.0.

Now, I played the demo and absolutely hated it, but Resident Evil has never been my thing, so I passed it off.

But then I read this line in a review that gave it a 9.0:

" Gameplay
What RE5 lacks in standard survival horror it makes up for in action-packed combat, satisfying on-rails segments and killer final chapter. Controls are beginning to feel dated for an action game."

Which leads me to believe that this is another game that got a higher score than it was supposed to due to it's name, such as Mario and Cheapy argues as "Super Frank." How can a game that a person feels has dated or not good controls be a 9.0? Controls are quite possibly the most important thing in a game. It's what makes Burnout better than other arcadey racing games (Midnight Club) and it's what Made most people hate Too Human. But was does Resident Evil offer over Gears of War or Uncharted? Especially when the reviewer says it has a lot more action feel to it? He even says it's an action game with just methodical survival horror thrown in.

So a game that is supposed to be more action orientated, and less survival horror still has the controls of a survival horror game?
First off, how is it still that you can not shoot while walking? (Wombat, yes you can shoot a gun while walking in real life, not accurately but it still can be done.) Especially when this game is supposed to be more action orientated?

Now, is Resident Evil a 9.0? Not from what I played of the demo. But does that mean is some people's eyes it will be? Yes. Do I believe it deserves a 9.0 from that person's article? No.

What does CAG think? Am I over thinking that one line? Or is there something to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The purpose of the control setup in RE 4 and 5 was created with a lack of mobility in mind, in order to heighten the tension at being assaulted from all sides and angles.

It works, in my opinion, and gives a fairly human sense of movement.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']How can a game that a person feels has dated or not good controls be a 9.0?[/quote]
Dated =/= bad.

Now, is Resident Evil a 9.0? Not from what I played of the demo. But does that mean is some people's eyes it will be? Yes. Do I believe it deserves a 9.0 from that person's article? No.

What does CAG think? Am I over thinking that one line? Or is there something to it?
I think you've played 15 minutes of a game, and think you know it better than someone who has played the whole thing.

[quote name='pete5883']Dated =/= bad.

I think you've played 15 minutes of a game, and think you know it better than someone who has played the whole thing.[/quote]

I don't think thats what I said. I think I even said that I am sure it some people's minds that it is a 9.0. My whole point is that from reading the article, it doesn't seem like it deserved a score of 9.0, and that it's possible that he gave the game that score because he felt the need to seeing how it's a Resident Evil game.

All I want is for this game to be as good as RE4. I don't care if that makes it a 9.5 in some people's book because RE4 was so great or if it's a 7.5 to other people because it is "dated" and not groundbreaking or original.

The text of a review not matching up with the numbers is par for the course. Its one of the problems of putting a number on it at all and not particularly noteworthy when it happens.

I wouldve put a ceiling of 8.7 on it solely for forced co-op and nothing else.

unless theres an option to put that chick in a box somewhere and leave her there so you can finish the game alone i think the rating was a bit high myself. im gonna wait for this to drop in price. the demo to me was ok but i HATE having to cart that chick around if you can only carry so many items how can you possibly buy all the guns?

i also want to know when or if this story will ever be finished because now it feels like they keep dragging it out. id rather play the game from weskers pov because using the same damn characters over and over with no real answer to wtf is going on and why are they doing it is annoying too.

[quote name='lokizz']unless theres an option to put that chick in a box somewhere and leave her there so you can finish the game alone i think the rating was a bit high myself. im gonna wait for this to drop in price. the demo to me was ok but i HATE having to cart that chick around if you can only carry so many items how can you possibly buy all the guns?[/quote]But... you can't leave without your buddy Superfly!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The text of a review not matching up with the numbers is par for the course. Its one of the problems of putting a number on it at all and not particularly noteworthy when it happens.

I wouldve put a ceiling of 8.7 on it solely for forced co-op and nothing else.[/quote]

Numbers make sense unless there are so many that the score loses meaning.

Having 101 possible scores for a game is beyond stupid.

Scoring a game from 1-5 with whole numbers makes sense.

[quote name='lokizz']unless theres an option to put that chick in a box somewhere and leave her there so you can finish the game alone i think the rating was a bit high myself.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Everytime I died in the demo was because she ran off and got herself killed and that somehow kills me as well. Lame.

[quote name='javeryh']All I want is for this game to be as good as RE4. I don't care if that makes it a 9.5 in some people's book because RE4 was so great or if it's a 7.5 to other people because it is "dated" and not groundbreaking or original.[/quote]
Cosign.

The only thing I didn't like in the demo was inventory management. Where's my big ass briefcase, Capcom?

Well, considering RE4 is perhaps the best videogame ever made, I really couldn't care less about your opinion on or taste in videogames if it was "never your thing."

If RE4 was "never your thing", and even worse: you offer Gears of War in comparison, then you have shit taste in videogames, and I will make a note to never take buying advice from you in the future.

[quote name='heavyd853']The purpose of the control setup in RE 4 and 5 was created with a lack of mobility in mind, in order to heighten the tension at being assaulted from all sides and angles.

It works, in my opinion, and gives a fairly human sense of movement.[/quote]

[quote name='Ex~']Well, considering RE4 is perhaps the best videogame ever made, I really couldn't care less about your opinion on or taste in videogames if it was "never your thing."

If RE4 was "never your thing", and even worse: you offer Gears of War in comparison, then you have shit taste in videogames, and I will make a note to never take buying advice from you in the future.[/quote]

I wasn't comparing RE4 and Gears of War, as the only similarity was the over the shoulder view. I was comparing RE 5 and Gears of War as the review said that it was much more action orientated, and said that it was more of a action game with survival horror mechanics thrown in. And if that is the case than it is more like Gears of War and you can start to compare them.

And really? Because I disagree with you that makes my opinion less valid? There are many people who don't like any of the metal gear solid games, because it is not their type of game, and those are universally considered some of the greatest games of all time, yet I do not think less of them for not liking them. I loved MGS 4, my friend didn't. I said "ok, understandable" and passed it off.

bread's done
Back