Another Death in the Family

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Since the launch of the Xbox 360, I thought all those reports about freezing and overheating of the console were exaggerated B.S. from Sony and Nintendo fanboys. I picked up an Xbox 360 Premium three months ago and never experienced a single problem; until last night…

I picked up Star Wars Battlefront II after the price drop to $19.99. I loaded the game, and was playing the tutorial, when the game froze. “No biggie”, I thought, it was just Microsoft’s half-ass attempt at backward compatibility.

I inserted Burnout Revenge in, opting for a native 360 game. The game loaded to the title screen and I selected my track; then again the system froze, and the red light appeared. Three of them at the 5, 7, and 10 o’clock positions.

“Oh, shit”, I thought, as I dialed 1-800-4MYXBOX as fast as my fingers would allow. A Customer Service Rep from India had me disconnect all the cables, reboot, then remove the hard drive, and reboot again. Still the console would freeze. I received a case number and was told to call the next morning.

When I called I was told my warrantee had expired on June 1st, (a scant 20 days ago) and the system would cost $140 to fix. On the bright side, I was told after spending $140 dollars, I had an additional THIRTY days of warrantee support. How generous!

At this point I’m taking suggestions from other CAG’s. What should my next move be? Has Microsoft ever fixed a 360 out of warentee period? If so, what are the magic words.

As for me, it’s back to PS2 games for the time being…

Keep calling and bitching, and if that doesn't work, I'd pay the $140. Yeah, it's gonna suck big time, but it's still better than paying $400 for a new one.

I'm sorry for your loss.

[quote name='guessed']My condolences. You are making me seriously consider calling in to get the extended warranty.[/QUOTE]

If you don't buy the extended warranty, you DESERVE your 360 breaking. Its common sense to protect a $400 investment with a warranty.

This is what I would do:

Buy another 360 at lets say Walmart or some other store, swap the systems. Return the defective system with the new receipt, say its broken and you're unsatisfied with it and want your money back. Now before you get stuck with another X360, I would suggest you definately check the stores return policy before you buy. Make sure that they can take the system back with no penalties. You get a new system, the store takes the defective system back to MS. Its all good. Hope this helps.

For all of you who think its unethical. Dont want to hear it. Don't quote my post and bitch.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']This is what I would do:

Buy another 360 at lets say Walmart or some other store, swap the systems. Return the defective system with the new receipt, say its broken and you're unsatisfied with it and want your money back. Now before you get stuck with another X360, I would suggest you definately check the stores return policy before you buy. Make sure that they can take the system back with no penalties. You get a new system, the store takes the defective system back to MS. Its all good. Hope this helps.

For all of you who think its unethical. Dont want to hear it. Don't quote my post and bitch.[/QUOTE]

Don't they scan the actual system though?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']This is what I would do:

Buy another 360 at lets say Walmart or some other store, swap the systems. Return the defective system with the new receipt, say its broken and you're unsatisfied with it and want your money back. Now before you get stuck with another X360, I would suggest you definately check the stores return policy before you buy. Make sure that they can take the system back with no penalties. You get a new system, the store takes the defective system back to MS. Its all good. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Win.

[quote name='seanr1221']Don't they scan the actual system though?[/quote]

As far as I remember, they don't scan serial numbers. So it should be fine. I could be wrong though, so that may be another good thing to look into.

[quote name='seanr1221']Don't they scan the actual system though?[/quote]

The serial number? I've bought 2 Xbox 360's (one from Target, the other from Best Buy) and the "Remove for serial number" panel has never been removed.

When I bought my 360 at Best Buy, they scanned the serial number and it was printed out on my receipt. You can TRY Linkin's suggestion, but I highly doubt it will work.

[quote name='mmn']When I bought my 360 at Best Buy, they scanned the serial number and it was printed out on my recepit. You can TRY Linkin's suggestion, but I highly doubt it will work.[/QUOTE]

of course it will work. wal mart takes anything.

Well, thanks for the sympathy and relies. I don't want to pull a Wal-Mart scam, and I'm going to see if old Microsoft will fix the unit if pressed.

I would advise all 360 owners to get an extended service plan- Gamestop/EB is only $40 for one year. I don't know how long the Microsoft one is, but I do know it's $50.

The only concern I have about buying a ESP, is I bought one at Best Buy with a television. The sound cut out after a year and a half. I had a tech come and tell me, "it needs a new sound chip, but they don't make that chip anymore".

After that I was trice-weekly calling Best Buy for over 5 weeks to get a replecement TV. Once, a rep from BB told me to pick out a TV from a local store. I picked one out, went to the manager, who got into an argument with the rep over the phone. (and me to leave the store) It took nearly two months to get a new TV, and I did get a $50 store credit for getting the boot.

[quote name='rallen']Since the launch of the Xbox 360, I thought all those reports about freezing and overheating of the console were exaggerated B.S. from Sony and Nintendo fanboys. I picked up an Xbox 360 Premium three months ago and never experienced a single problem; until last night…

I picked up Star Wars Battlefront II after the price drop to $19.99. I loaded the game, and was playing the tutorial, when the game froze. “No biggie”, I thought, it was just Microsoft’s half-ass attempt at backward compatibility.

I inserted Burnout Revenge in, opting for a native 360 game. The game loaded to the title screen and I selected my track; then again the system froze, and the red light appeared. Three of them at the 5, 7, and 10 o’clock positions.

“Oh, shit”, I thought, as I dialed 1-800-4MYXBOX as fast as my fingers would allow. A Customer Service Rep from India had me disconnect all the cables, reboot, then remove the hard drive, and reboot again. Still the console would freeze. I received a case number and was told to call the next morning.

When I called I was told my warrantee had expired on June 1st, (a scant 20 days ago) and the system would cost $140 to fix. On the bright side, I was told after spending $140 dollars, I had an additional THIRTY days of warrantee support. How generous!

At this point I’m taking suggestions from other CAG’s. What should my next move be? Has Microsoft ever fixed a 360 out of warentee period? If so, what are the magic words.

As for me, it’s back to PS2 games for the time being…[/quote]

And why didnt you buy an extended warranty on a relatively new console?

C'mon.

Now for help, I have had some eperience with MS and their warranty service. Now this was with an XBOX 1, I had no Proof of Purchase, but I was able to buy a warranty on the console, so my advice is just call, get a warranty if you can, wait a week, and tell them its broken. They SHOULD send you a prepaid box to send it in.

[quote name='Apossum']of course it will work. wal mart takes anything.[/quote]

I don't know about 360s, but they DO scan the serials on PS2s. I tried similar shenanigans when I bricked my PS2 while trying to mod it and no only did they catch the serial number didn't match the reciept, but that the PS2 I was trying to return was purchased 2 years before.

[quote name='Stuka']I don't know about 360s, but they DO scan the serials on PS2s. I tried similar shenanigans when I bricked my PS2 while trying to mod it and no only did they catch the serial number didn't match the reciept, but that the PS2 I was trying to return was purchased 2 years before.[/QUOTE]

Did you play dumb or what?

the definatly checked and wrote down my serial number at Toys are us. Ive done that swapping thing many a time, but with things like Sounds cards, and things with serial numbers they get smart... so get crafty, or fork out the mulah

Comments/Questions:

I thought MS unofficially extended the warranty to 6 mos, or was that just the launch batch?

I'm considering asking for the MS extended warranty(I have a launch 360) but I've been on Live all this time. Just wondering if it will work. I may just slap an intercooler on it and hope for the best.

Was there ever any definitive conclusion as to what's killing 360's? Is it heat related?

Read this, it might help you.
I didn't use that info but maybe you could.

I recieved a fucked up 360 from ebay and I just called 4myxbox and bought a warranty for it. The only info they wanted was the serial number. Also the system wasn't registered yet. I did this about a week and a half ago, I'm going to call them again later this week so I can send it off to be repaired.

[quote name='lorne']Comments/Questions:

I thought MS unofficially extended the warranty to 6 mos, or was that just the launch batch?

I'm considering asking for the MS extended warranty(I have a launch 360) but I've been on Live all this time. Just wondering if it will work. I may just slap an intercooler on it and hope for the best.

Was there ever any definitive conclusion as to what's killing 360's? Is it heat related?[/quote]
Mine was a launch system and I had a Intercooler on it for a couple months.... It just started freezing on a friday night and did it in the middle of every game I played all weekend. Monday morning I took the Intercooler off and it made it to the 360 logo screen and froze up then got 3 red lights when I reset it....

Buy the warranty or pay the price dipshits.

[quote name='DT778']Read this, it might help you.
I didn't use that info but maybe you could.

I recieved a fucked up 360 from ebay and I just called 4myxbox and bought a warranty for it. The only info they wanted was the serial number. Also the system wasn't registered yet. I did this about a week and a half ago, I'm going to call them again later this week so I can send it off to be repaired.[/quote]

So as long as the system isn't registered, you should be able to call in or send the warranty in at any time? I bought my 360 soon after returning from a deployment and close to me moving to Guam, and sending the warranty card in just got lost in the shuffle.

I hate to ask a dumb question, but If I bought my 360 at launch, can I still send in for the extended warranty from Microsoft tomorrow? Reading all these stories about launch consoles now starting to die has me...worried.

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='lorne']Comments/Questions:

Was there ever any definitive conclusion as to what's killing 360's? Is it heat related?[/QUOTE]

Who cares what the conclusion is/was/may be? If you think slapping a $20 aftermarket product on it is going to save your console from breaking, then you probably don't care about potentially having to pay $140 later to get it fixed.

People like you annoy the fuck out of me. BUY THE WARRANTY. Why is that so difficult?

[quote name='Number83']I hate to ask a dumb question, but If I bought my 360 at launch, can I still send in for the extended warranty from Microsoft tomorrow? Reading all these stories about launch consoles now starting to die has me...worried.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

IF you have not registered the system, then then you should be able to do this. I just registered my system about 5 minutes ago and the manufacture date was 01/10/06. I never registered my system up until they did when I called a few minutes ago.

[quote name='mmn']Who cares what the conclusion is/was/may be? If you think slapping a $20 aftermarket product on it is going to save your console from breaking, then you probably don't care about potentially having to pay $140 later to get it fixed.

People like you annoy the fuck out of me. BUY THE WARRANTY. Why is that so difficult?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps because Microsoft's crappy manufacturing process has turned the console into a $450 system? And who the hell only warranties their system for 3 months?! That's insane. More reasons not to touch this POS with a 30ft pole.

To me the Xbox360 = Jaguar. Looks great, drives great for 3 months... then send it in the shop. At least they give you a decent warranty!

[quote name='Lister']Perhaps because Microsoft's crappy manufacturing process has turned the console into a $450 system? And who the hell only warranties their system for 3 months?! That's insane. More reasons not to touch this POS with a 30ft pole.

To me the Xbox360 = Jaguar. Looks great, drives great for 3 months... then send it in the shop. At least they give you a decent warranty![/QUOTE]

Yawn. +1 Post count.

Recently I read on here somebody got a free fix even though their warranty expired, I'd have to search for it but it seemed like a lucky case since somebody else posted that they had to pay for repairs. I don't see how you could assume the overheating issues were all orchestrated by Sony/Nintendo fanboys, it's really hard to miss all the genuine threads here about 360 issues.

[quote name='terribledeli']Yawn. +1 Post count.[/QUOTE]Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

[quote name='Lister']Perhaps because Microsoft's crappy manufacturing process has turned the console into a $450 system? And who the hell only warranties their system for 3 months?! That's insane. More reasons not to touch this POS with a 30ft pole.

To me the Xbox360 = Jaguar. Looks great, drives great for 3 months... then send it in the shop. At least they give you a decent warranty![/quote]
Well take your 30ft pole and go to another section of the forums then nobody is making you buy one. If you can't afford a tip either don't eat out or don't complain about crappy service. AKA stick the pole 30 feet up your ass. :joystick:

Stupid UPS sent my package from the Louisville hub to the Lexington hub for some stupid reason........ If they'd sent in to the Cincy one like they normally do i'd get my 360 back today rather than tomorrow...... :cry:

[quote name='Lister'] And who the hell only warranties their system for 3 months?!
[/quote]

Nintendo is the only manufacturer to warranty anything more than 90 days. Sony only gives 90 days on a PSP/PS/PS2. Hell, almost every single piece of consumer electronics nowadays only has a 90 day warranty.

A few things.

First, for the OP, I made a thread that looked EXACTLY like this at GAF about a week ago. Some tips: if you bought the console originally by credit card, most card companies have free warranty extension even though it isn't advertised heavily. In the case of VISA, the service is called Visa Warranty Manager. It's available on all gold and platinum cards, and most other visas unless you have a crappy bank on it. My Chase VISA was eligible for the service. It doubles the factory warranty up to 1 extra year. Obviously this would only make the 360's warranty a six month one, but that still would cover you. As long as you registered the system and ran out of original warranty time, you can file a claim if it breaks during the VISA extended warranty and I think you even get the full original purchase price credited. Amex has a similar thing; not sure about Mastercard. Look into it.

Second, I was still screwed, because my problem developed about a week over 6 months from the original purchase date. MS wanted 129 to fix it BUT I bitched to a supervisor about how other people had had theirs fixed outside of warranty for free, and they offered me 25% off. Not great, but better than nothing.

However, I was still pissed. I found online that you can figure out the specific problem with your 360 (or at least generally among a group of problems) by holding the controller sync button on the front of the console (when you have the 3 red lights) and hitting the eject button 4 times. Each time different red lights will light up, corresponding to these numbers: 4 lights = "0", top left = "1", top right = "2".... maybe there's a 3 too. Whatever, you can google. Anyway, there's a list of 4 digit codes corresponding to various known problems. In my case, my code was 0020. By googling, I learned that someone had associated this issue with power source stuff. Not the PSU, but the signal from beyond it.

Previously my system had been plugged into a cheap surge protector, shared with like 5 other things. I left the system, the PSU, etc unplugged for over 24 hours to give the capacitors in the PSU time to discharge (also from google; I don't know this stuff), and then when I reconnected it, I plugged it directly into the wall and to a different outlet. I played extensively Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, and I've had no freezes and no red lights of death. My problem may be solved without parting with 100-130 bucks. You may want to try this as well.

And for the people who are like 'duh, your fault! should have bought the extended warranty!'... you might like being bent over by greedy corporations, but I do not. A 3 month warranty on a 400 dollar item is a disgrace. It would be one thing if we had spilled soda on our 360s or something, but the problems manifesting themselves have everything to do with original factory defects/issues intrinsic to the machines. Users should not have to pay a mere 91 days after purchase.

That is all.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Nintendo is the only manufacturer to warranty anything more than 90 days. Sony only gives 90 days on a PSP/PS/PS2. Hell, almost every single piece of consumer electronics nowadays only has a 90 day warranty.[/QUOTE]

My PS2 had either a 1 year or 2 year warranty. Incorrect. Further, Sony offered a free repair roughly 3 years after purchase because my DVD drve was acting up, as this was a known issue/defect. Much like all of the '3 red lights' 360 issues.

[quote name='gkrykewy']My PS2 had either a 1 year or 2 year warranty. Incorrect. Further, Sony offered a free repair roughly 3 years after purchase because my DVD drve was acting up, as this was a known issue/defect. Much like all of the '3 red lights' 360 issues.[/quote]

Taken directly from the sony website.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Warranties

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) warrants to the original purchaser that this product (hardware, game discs and accessories) shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase (the "Warranty Period"). If this product is determined to be defective during the Warranty Period, SCEA agrees to either repair or replace, at its option, the SCEA product. You must call 1-800-345-SONY to receive instructions to obtain repair/replacement services.

Your PS2 did not have a two year warranty from the manufacturer. It had 90 days unless it was a 70000 series PS2. The 70000 series was covered for exactly one year. Enough people bitched that sony eventually started fixing the systems WELL out of warranty.

I could've sworn mine had a 2 year warranty as well. Mine broke about 4 years after I bought it and they offered to fix it even though the warranty was expired, but then never sent me any of the stuff they said they would and it never got fixed.

To me the Xbox360 = Jaguar. Looks great, drives great for 3 months... then send it in the shop. At least they give you a decent warranty![/quote]

Well, if you knew the warranty is short, then dont fucking complain.

Im not pointing a finger only at you, but at dumbasses on the whole.

If you havnt or have registered, just call 1-800-4my-xbox and ask to buy a warranty, dotn say its broken or anything like that. If it works, good, if it doesn't, that sucks, but dont fuck someone else over by doing a switch.

[quote name='mtxbass1']
Your PS2 did not have a two year warranty from the manufacturer. It had 90 days unless it was a 70000 series PS2. The 70000 series was covered for exactly one year. Enough people bitched that sony eventually started fixing the systems WELL out of warranty.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what series I have. It's an original US launch PS2. The warranty was at least one year, and perhaps two. Shame on Sony for shortening them since, but the PS2 is now a $129 item rather than a $299 or $399 one. Coincidentally, $129 happens to be MS' ridiculous flat repair cost for out-of-warranty 360s because they don't bother to troubleshoot/repair - they just replace. And even Sony, as you say and as was offered to me, has been fixing systems well out of warranty. Plenty of people are bitching at MS, and they're not budging (despite class action suits, etc).

In my instance, for example, it looks like my system MAY (knock wood) be fixed with simply a few troubleshooting steps, yet Microsoft's immediate reaction was 'we need $129 thanks and then we'll send you a slightly skanky refurbished one.'

Look, I love my 360 and have no plans to buy a PS3, but just from a consumer's standpoint, MS' support policies are needlessly aggressive.

[quote name='gkrykewy'] First, for the OP, I made a thread that looked EXACTLY like this at GAF [/quote] You're a GAFfer? See if you can get me unbanned over there. Same screename. Tell them I'm sorry for being naughty.

[quote name='gkrykewy']I'm not sure what series I have. It's an original US launch PS2. The warranty was at least one year, and perhaps two. Shame on Sony for shortening them since, but the PS2 is now a $129 item rather than a $299 or $399 one. Coincidentally, $129 happens to be MS' ridiculous flat repair cost for out-of-warranty 360s because they don't bother to troubleshoot/repair - they just replace. And even Sony, as you say and as was offered to me, has been fixing systems well out of warranty. Plenty of people are bitching at MS, and they're not budging (despite class action suits, etc).

In my instance, for example, it looks like my system MAY (knock wood) be fixed with simply a few troubleshooting steps, yet Microsoft's immediate reaction was 'we need $129 thanks and then we'll send you a slightly skanky refurbished one.'

Look, I love my 360 and have no plans to buy a PS3, but just from a consumer's standpoint, MS' support policies are needlessly aggressive.[/quote]

Do you remember how long it took before Sony started to take action though? I'm a launch PS2 owner myself and it took almost what, a year? before they started doing something about DRE's. The 360 hasn't even been out for a year. I agree that I love my 360 as well, but I simply don't mind paying $30 for another year of a warrranty. It's a protection of investment, much like I don't mind paying nearly $700 in car insurance. You have to take actions to protect what you have purchased because others certainly won't do it for you.

To me the Xbox360 = Jaguar. Looks great, drives great for 3 months... then send it in the shop. At least they give you a decent warranty![/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that anyone gave a shit about your opinion.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']So as long as the system isn't registered, you should be able to call in or send the warranty in at any time? I bought my 360 soon after returning from a deployment and close to me moving to Guam, and sending the warranty card in just got lost in the shuffle.[/quote]
Yeah.

[quote name='rallen']

As for me, it’s back to PS2 games for the time being…[/QUOTE]

I just had the exact problem... pretty much to the letter. I hung up on the first idiot I talked to and called back. While I didn't get the $129 reduced I was told:

"You were given incorrect information, the warranty is for NINETY days."

I then asked if I could purchase the extended warranty still and was told that as long as I was within the new 90 period I could do so. While I'm not completely satisfied with this it is far superior to the thirty day BS I was told by the first tech.

[quote name='mmn']If you don't buy the extended warranty, you DESERVE your 360 breaking. Its common sense to protect a $400 investment with a warranty.[/quote]

to quote homer simpson after getting a crayon hammered back into his nose:
"extended warranty, how can I lose ?"

For a $400.00 investment microsoft should stand by its product, not make its customer pay for its faulty machine that cannot even last an entire year.

just my 2 cents

Microsoft consoles dont seem to be as well made as Sony or Nintendo consoles, at least in my experience.

And bitching about it to Microsoft is not going to do anything - its either pay the bill or have a broken 360. Yes, I know it sounds harsh, but thats MS's policy. But I hope it works out for you for the better.

I don't know, all 3 of my old roommates had XBox's, all of which are still in operation today. On the other hand, my PS2, and one of my roommate's PS2's both died within 2 years of purchase. I won't condemn Sony consoles as a whole as my PS1 is still going strong but the PS2 was a piece of garbage.

As for Nintendo consoles, the only one that ever failed me was my NES (typical connector issues). My SNES, N64, about 10 various Gameboys, and DS have all held up extremely well.

bread's done
Back