Another eBay problem

PsyClerk

CAGiversary!
Need a bit of advice. I was taking the plunge on trying to get Suikoden for the PSOne lately. My first stop was eBay, where there was one for auction that said it was in near mint condition, starting bid $1. So I bid on it.

Later someone bids over me. The going price was $1.50, so I did the math with shipping (dude is charging $7.50!) and figured I could get it almost anywhere else for $40. My next bid was then about $32, figuring if I save $.50, that's fine. I'm immediately outbid by proxy, so I give up on that one.

I bought one off Half.com for about $30. Well, I get home tonight and now I'm the winning bidder on the eBay copy! Turns out some kid had placed the bid that overruled mine and the parent got wind of it. So now I have a $32.50 bid on a game I don't want. I don't want any negative feedback, but I also don't want to drop $40 on a game I already have.

Should I just email the seller and tell them to take my bids off? Is that feasible?

Just explain and he should be fine with it...Most sellers are agreeable...I mean he took someone elses off didnt he?...I saw an overcharge of shipping once...it has to be the biggest overcharge ive ever seen...It was when ps2 was REALLY hard to find...The first bid was ONE DOLLAR...and guess what shipping was? FIVE HUNDRED...I guess he was hoping for someone not to see the shipping and bid...anyways...goodluck!

I don't want to retract my bid just yet, I don't think eBay has a bid retraction reason in their form to cover this situation.

I also don't want to drop another $40 on games. With my luck, I'll get it and the bottom will drop out of the market.

Although it's slightly dishonest, you can retract the bid and say you entered the wrong bid amount.

I see buyers do that all the time, where they claim they enter the wrong bid amount but don't bid again.

As you say, it's a little dishonest. I have contacted the seller and explained things. I'll just have to hope that he's a nice guy and understands.

A little dishonest? I'm wondering who exactly you're lying to, ebay? They don't care obviously, if it was more then 12 hours you should have just retracted the bid . A lot faster then trying to contact the seller for them to do it. As Spidey said offering to pay the seller's listing fees usually can get you out of a negative if they're in a good mood.

I don't believe you are responsible for your ebay bid. You were outbid, once that happens I believe your 'contract' is over. If the seller sends you a secondary bid option because someone wasn't 'kosher' well thats too bad for the seller. They can't just go back to your highest bid.. for if the 'higher bidder' that ended up being fake wasn't there you probably would have been able to buy it for much less (since it was probably a 2 person bidding war)

You are not being dishonest as you were outbid per normal ebay bidding. As a frequent ebay seller i would offer the 'second chance' to the next bidder but if he/she didn't want it I would just have to relist it. Of course I would leave very neg. feedback for the person who originally 'bought' it.

peace

Erik

[quote name='karmapolice620']Just explain and he should be fine with it...Most sellers are agreeable...I mean he took someone elses off didnt he?...I saw an overcharge of shipping once...it has to be the biggest overcharge ive ever seen...It was when ps2 was REALLY hard to find...The first bid was ONE DOLLAR...and guess what shipping was? FIVE HUNDRED...I guess he was hoping for someone not to see the shipping and bid...anyways...goodluck![/quote]

He wasn't hoping you wouldn't notice the shipping, he was trying to save the $30+ seller fees that Ebay would have charged him. I have seen several people try to do this before with other games - "Lots" of $35 snes games for $1 buyitnow, with $150 shipping. Ebay boots the pretty fast for it though so no bright ideas for you!

As for the bid, if you are respectable about it and tell the seller, they will understand. You should also be able to pull your bid, no problem. If you do win, the seller will probably be more bothered that you didn't pull your bid in the first place. My 2-cents.

He wasn't hoping you wouldn't notice the shipping, he was trying to save the $30+ seller fees that Ebay would have charged him. I have seen several people try to do this before with other games - "Lots" of $35 snes games for $1 buyitnow, with $150 shipping. Ebay boots the pretty fast for it though so no bright ideas for you!

As for the bid, if you are respectable about it and tell the seller, they will understand. You should also be able to pull your bid, no problem. If you do win, the seller will probably be more bothered that you didn't pull your bid in the first place. My 2-cents.[/quote]

Am i wrong or did he get outbid? If he was outbid he is in the clear.

Yeah, I think you are in the clear, because once your bid is beat, you cant be expected to wait forever to see if you can spend the money on something else.

I have emailed the seller, no response yet. I will give them until tonight, as the auction ends tomorrow night. Surprisingly, no one else has bid on the damn game, so the price is still $1 for now.

If the auction has not ended yet, and is at your highest bid then you probably have nothing to worry about. There are always people who love to snipe at the last second and get it cheapest as possible. I sold a virtual boy once and it went from about $55 to $155 in like 14 minutes or something. But if you do win, buy it. Nothing wrong with having 2 copies of a decent game. I have 2 copies of FFIX and I don't feel bad :)

If you win it let me know, I might be willing to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

The number of bid retractions you place are recorded so sellers can see if they might have a problem with you. If you have excessive bid retractions, a seller has the right to cancel your bid and block you from bidding on their auctions. My advice would be to contact the seller, explain the situation, and ask that they cancel your bid. If the seller won't cooperate, you should probably follow through with the auction to avoid negative feedback. You can always sell the extra copy you have yourself on eBay, GameAuctions or sell/trade within CAG.

There's finally another bid, but the price is only $19. Still waiting on the seller to get back with me.

[quote name='PsyClerk']There's finally another bid, but the price is only $19. Still waiting on the seller to get back with me.[/quote] Just cancel the bid, or post the auction number, and let some one elseout bid it......

Seriously, Just cancel your damn bid and stop worrying about being so "honest".

First of all, the guy isn't going to get back in touch with you....cause if he does he either has to say "yes, cancel my bid and take away my potential money" or "no, you can't, I'm a jackass". So if he doesn't e-mail you then he's going to get the money out of you.

eBay never does nothing about cancelled bids, NOTHING, EVER. I have even reported them a few times...but they did nothing. So cancel your bid. Otherwise you will have to pay for it. Ebay will do something if you win and don't pay though.

It will probably double at the last minute...always does. If you don't cancel and win I don't feel sorry for you.

Cmosfm, you know you don't HAVE to be an asshole, right? I was trying to do the right thing. Sorry if that upsets you.

same thing happened to me. I won the RE:CVX for the Cube for 33 bucks on ebay. However, after many thinking and looking up review, I decided not to get this game. So I emailed the seller and says that I already bought the game and so on yesterday for cheap at BB blah blah. I asked him to cancel my bid and give me a bad feedback/report to ebay. Well, I just don't want to do retraction bid with lies and stuff. ( I dishonest in the Bestbuy part though).

Damn it, hype and stupid thinking now make me 1 bad feedback on my ebay rating. Overall, I have 7 positive feedback though. So anyone know if 1 bad feedback out of 7 good one, what is my percentage now?

[quote name='mgsvr']same thing happened to me. I won the RE:CVX for the Cube for 33 bucks on ebay. However, after many thinking and looking up review, I decided not to get this game. So I emailed the seller and says that I already bought the game and so on yesterday for cheap at BB blah blah. I asked him to cancel my bid and give me a bad feedback/report to ebay. Well, I just don't want to do retraction bid with lies and stuff. ( I dishonest in the Bestbuy part though).

Damn it, hype and stupid thinking now make me 1 bad feedback on my ebay rating. Overall, I have 7 positive feedback though. So anyone know if 1 bad feedback out of 7 good one, what is my percentage now?[/quote]
no theres a difference this guy was out bid and he figired he wasnt getting it so bought it.

[quote name='mgsvr']So I emailed the seller and says that I already bought the game and so on yesterday for cheap at BB blah blah. I asked him to cancel my bid and give me a bad feedback/report to ebay. Well, I just don't want to do retraction bid with lies and stuff. ( I dishonest in the Bestbuy part though).
[/quote]

In the future, what you can do is ask the seller to notify Ebay that both the seller and the buyer have mutually decided to not complete the transaction.

By doing that, the seller can get their final value fees back and you won't have a non paying bidder mark filed against you.

Well I won that item yesterday, but I emailed him this morning after reading through this post. I still haven't recieve his email yet, but I think he will give me bad feedback as well as reporting to ebay. Oh well :whistle2:( I don't think most of the seller would be nice enough to not file a non payment bidder.

Hey, but is it ok to have 1 warning for non payment from Ebay and 1 bad feedback? In that case, I'll just reply to the feedback in my rating saying that I accidentally rip my money order...and I don't want to buy another MO for that etc. ???

bread's done
Back