Another Exclusive Football Deal for EA

orangemage

CAGiversary!
i don't know if anyone posted this yet

Another Exclusive Football Deal for EA

Having already secured the exclusive rights to the NFL, Electronic Arts has today partnered with the much less popular Arena Football League (AFL) to exclusively produce an AFL video game in time for the start of the 2006 AFL season.

Under the terms of the agreement, EA will also share in the proceeds of future expansion team sales.

"We believe that the business model the AFL has created will provide for a new football experience for videogame fans, and provide EA with an incentive to partner with the AFL to expand the league," said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of EA. "The AFL is a unique brand of football and we intend to deliver a unique football gaming experience from any the industry has seen before. We're pleased to be working with the league during this exciting growth-period for the AFL."

"Once again, we are partnering with an industry leader who believes in the AFL philosophy and its growth potential. To the extent that EA helps grow the AFL, they participate in that growth through the increased value of future expansion teams," said Commissioner David Baker. "EA is the videogame industry's gold standard. Arguably, nothing is more important to reach the younger male demographic that we are so strong in than video games. For our core fan, this is akin to a network-television agreement."

The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Monday, January 10, 2005

Here is how I read it:

"We don't want any other game developers to be able to make any game that even resembles football," said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of EA.

[quote name='CheapyD']Here is how I read it:

"We don't want any other game developers to be able to make any game that even resembles football," said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of EA.[/quote]

Exactly.

I'm going out of my way to buy whatever football game gets produced by Midway now. I don't care how bad it is, I just want to support anything other than EA.

You know what this means. The ESPN brand will be a thing of the past for quality football titles. If EA has the NFL, AFL, and NCAA that means we are going to have 3 incarnations of Madden instead of two. I hope EA doesn't use the same engine for each title otherwise it just won't be worth buying but one of these titles.

That's s shame, I was hoping the ladk of ability for anybody else to produce NFL games would mean I'd get an AFL game. But not like this...

Oh don't forget about their North American console exclusivity to the English Premier League (real football ;)) as well. And yes, playing as Arsenal, and not "London" or "North London" means something to me, just like playing as the Jets and not New York A, means to most "football" gamers.

People who said EA didn't have a monopoly on football games before when they bought the NFL license had a point-somewhat. The problem then lied more with the NFL than EA. Now, however, since EA has bought the AFL license they have proven themselves to be the evil monolithic corporate juggernaut they have been accused of being. They are so scared of some competition that they buy up any license that might even remotely allow another company to compete with them. I fully support free enterprise economics but this is out of control. I have lost all respect for EA and, more importantly, they will not be getting anymore of my money for any of their sports titles. If this keeps up my boycott will eventually carry over to non-sports titles.

Yeah, hopefully SEGA/VC produces a NCAA game this to compensate for the lack of NFL

AFL game will probably bomb anyways....who knows though. Could be interesting.

[quote name='BigDirty']Oh don't forget about their North American console exclusivity to the English Premier League (real football ;)) as well. And yes, playing as Arsenal, and not "London" or "North London" means something to me, just like playing as the Jets and not New York A, means to most "football" gamers.[/quote]

I feel the same way...

That leaves Sega and others with the chance to revive the XFL for their games, HeHateMe as a cover?

And isn't there some kind of league with girls playing football in lingerie, that could be dumb enough to work. Look at DOA volleyball that people bought for the story.

[quote name='Doylerulez']That leaves Sega and others with the chance to revive the XFL for their games, HeHateMe as a cover?

And isn't there some kind of league with girls playing football in lingerie, that could be dumb enough to work. Look at DOA volleyball that people bought for the story.[/quote]

That's the Lingerie Bowl at Half-Time of the Super-Bowl. It is a Pay-Per-View event.

Too bad EA did Mutant League Football also, those games were great on Genesis

[quote name='neocisco']People who said EA didn't have a monopoly on football games before when they bought the NFL license had a point-somewhat. The problem then lied more with the NFL than EA. Now, however, since EA has bought the AFL license they have proven themselves to be the evil monolithic corporate juggernaut they have been accused of being. [/quote]

Thanks for finally realizing we were right. :wink:

[quote name='evilmax17']At least they don't own Slamball yet.[/quote]

At least they don't own the WWE license. WCW Mayhem was awful! I feel bad that people actually paid money for that.

[quote name='orangemage']Under the terms of the agreement, EA will also share in the proceeds of future expansion team sales.
[/quote]

I wonder if EA actually didn't pay the AFL a dime and this is basically AFL cutting EA into the pie in return for them creating the game. (i.e. AFL is payin EA for advertising in the form of a video game.) Wouldn't shock me, as I don't think AFL gets much in the way of ratings.

[quote name='wubb'][quote name='orangemage']Under the terms of the agreement, EA will also share in the proceeds of future expansion team sales.
[/quote]

I wonder if EA actually didn't pay the AFL a dime and this is basically AFL cutting EA into the pie in return for them creating the game. (i.e. AFL is payin EA for advertising in the form of a video game.) Wouldn't shock me, as I don't think AFL gets much in the way of ratings.[/quote]

You mean they show the AFL on TV???

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='neocisco']People who said EA didn't have a monopoly on football games before when they bought the NFL license had a point-somewhat. The problem then lied more with the NFL than EA. Now, however, since EA has bought the AFL license they have proven themselves to be the evil monolithic corporate juggernaut they have been accused of being. [/quote]

Thanks for finally realizing we were right. :wink:[/quote]

Except you're still wrong. Anybody ccan make a football game. Anybody. THey're only required not to use the names and likeness of NFL players and NFL logos and other copyrighted material. Do you care more about the game of football or your fantasy of being an overpaid thug?

PC sports games have long allowed player to create their own teams top to bottom. This often means that NFL teams can be downloaded. There isn't any reason that this cannot be done on consoles, too, considering the size of memory cards and availability of PC connections for those cards.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='neocisco']People who said EA didn't have a monopoly on football games before when they bought the NFL license had a point-somewhat. The problem then lied more with the NFL than EA. Now, however, since EA has bought the AFL license they have proven themselves to be the evil monolithic corporate juggernaut they have been accused of being. [/quote]

Except you're still wrong. Anybody ccan make a football game. Anybody. THey're only required not to use the names and likeness of NFL players and NFL logos and other copyrighted material. Do you care more about the game of football or your fantasy of being an overpaid thug?

PC sports games have long allowed player to create their own teams top to bottom. This often means that NFL teams can be downloaded. There isn't any reason that this cannot be done on consoles, too, considering the size of memory cards and availability of PC connections for those cards.[/quote]

Exactly. And Sega/VC are still working on ESPN 2K6, just without the real teams/players. Get in on XBox, then DL the "NFL 2006 Pack".

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='neocisco']People who said EA didn't have a monopoly on football games before when they bought the NFL license had a point-somewhat. The problem then lied more with the NFL than EA. Now, however, since EA has bought the AFL license they have proven themselves to be the evil monolithic corporate juggernaut they have been accused of being. [/quote]

PC sports games have long allowed player to create their own teams top to bottom. This often means that NFL teams can be downloaded. There isn't any reason that this cannot be done on consoles, too, considering the size of memory cards and availability of PC connections for those cards.[/quote]
The incentive for any company to make an unlicensed football game is very low...I know you may feel that player names and teams are unimportant, but tell that to the millions of other football gamers who think otherwise.

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='wubb'][quote name='orangemage']Under the terms of the agreement, EA will also share in the proceeds of future expansion team sales.
[/quote]

I wonder if EA actually didn't pay the AFL a dime and this is basically AFL cutting EA into the pie in return for them creating the game. (i.e. AFL is payin EA for advertising in the form of a video game.) Wouldn't shock me, as I don't think AFL gets much in the way of ratings.[/quote]

You mean they show the AFL on TV???[/quote]

It's been on TV for a while. Which it starts in a few weeks since I've seen the John Elway/Bon Jovi ads for this season and the championship in Las Vegas.

Finally, a long-deserved game that will at least give some respect to the AFL. Not like that stupid Kurt Warner game that was just Blitz with different teams and a smaller field.

[quote name='weaponx666'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='neocisco']People who said EA didn't have a monopoly on football games before when they bought the NFL license had a point-somewhat. The problem then lied more with the NFL than EA. Now, however, since EA has bought the AFL license they have proven themselves to be the evil monolithic corporate juggernaut they have been accused of being. [/quote]

Exactly. And Sega/VC are still working on ESPN 2K6, just without the real teams/players. Get in on XBox, then DL the "NFL 2006 Pack".[/quote]
You wouldn't be able to DL any "2006 pack" for Xbox because of the EA exclusivity agreement with the NFL. The only way to get real team rosters and names is to create them yourself or send your memory card out to a person who will do it for you.

I happened to like both Madden and ESPN games this year. I do think it's a shame that EA is flexing their money muscle and shutting everyone out. Hopefully something will happen to over-turn their decision.

PS. To all the wannabe soccer hooligans, go rant in a different thread. GO MAN U!! Arsenal sucks.

You may be technically correct, but you know that's still a poor argument. In a way, you're arguing that game quality matters more than the license does. If that is true, why would EA go to the lengths it does to acquire licenses?

You are correct. It is *not* a monopoly. If you entertain the thought that anyone could compete with (1) The Madden Name, (2) The Madden Gameplay, and (3) NFL exclusivity, you're a fool. They may not have a monopoly, but they sure have cornered the market.

Hell, the only non-NFL football game that could sell currently would be Tecmo Bowl featuring the DOA Volleyball girls.

myke.

At this rate the only football games Sega / ESPN will be able to make are:
ESPN 2K6 Rugby
ESPN 2K6 Mutant Football League

(Note: these are not real upcoming ESPN games)

[quote name='big_squirtle']At this rate the only football games Sega / ESPN will be able to make are:
ESPN 2K6 Rugby

(Note: these are not real upcoming ESPN games)[/quote]

Mutant League Football was made by EA.

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='big_squirtle']At this rate the only football games Sega / ESPN will be able to make are:
ESPN 2K6 Rugby

Mutant League Football was made by EA.[/quote]

Also, EA is working on a Rugby game for this year, too.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='big_squirtle']At this rate the only football games Sega / ESPN will be able to make are:
ESPN 2K6 Rugby

Also, EA is working on a Rugby game for this year, too.[/quote]

I hate EA. No more FIFA for me... nor any other title published by EA, ever again.

[quote name='cdeener']You know what this means. The ESPN brand will be a thing of the past for quality football titles. If EA has the NFL, AFL, and NCAA that means we are going to have 3 incarnations of Madden instead of two. I hope EA doesn't use the same engine for each title otherwise it just won't be worth buying but one of these titles.[/quote]

You can't buy the NCAA rights.

[quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='weaponx666'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='neocisco']People who said EA didn't have a monopoly on football games before when they bought the NFL license had a point-somewhat. The problem then lied more with the NFL than EA. Now, however, since EA has bought the AFL license they have proven themselves to be the evil monolithic corporate juggernaut they have been accused of being. [/quote]

Exactly. And Sega/VC are still working on ESPN 2K6, just without the real teams/players. Get in on XBox, then DL the "NFL 2006 Pack".[/quote]
You wouldn't be able to DL any "2006 pack" for Xbox because of the EA exclusivity agreement with the NFL. The only way to get real team rosters and names is to create them yourself or send your memory card out to a person who will do it for you.[/quote]

Also, Sega may not be a part of whatever, if any, football game that they could be working on as Take-Two might grab all of the sports development teams and the ESPN license as per the agreement between the two companies.

Okay. Time to stop being delusional and come back to reality. Yes anyone can make a no name footbal game, but they won't cause no one will buy it. No one will buy it. No one will buy it. No one will buy it. No one will buy it. Do you finally get it?? Why do you think EA spent the $$ it did to monopolize the NFL football game market?

And do you honestly believe that EA is gonna just let you download nfl rosters without consequences?? Get real.

Calling what EA has done a monopoly is like saying airlines have a monopoly on travel. Just because other means of transportation aren't your first choice to get somewhere doesn't mean you can't drive, take a train or take a boat.

[quote name='jmcc']Calling what EA has done a monopoly is like saying airlines have a monopoly on travel. Just because other means of transportation aren't your first choice to get somewhere doesn't mean you can't drive, take a train or take a boat.[/quote]

Your point is wrong seeing how there are no other options when it comes to nfl football games. :roll:

When will you people get it?

[quote name='jmcc']Calling what EA has done a monopoly is like saying airlines have a monopoly on travel. Just because other means of transportation aren't your first choice to get somewhere doesn't mean you can't drive, take a train or take a boat.[/quote]

That's nonsense. Any company can create an airline company. And they do. There are many airline companies out there. EA is now the only company that can make an NFL game (and AFL as well now). No one else can do it. No one. Not a single other company. Not one. Get it? Like it has been said, NFL fans don't want to play as John Doe #1,2,3,4,5,etc. You may not care about American football (as I don't either). But that doesn't mean no one does. They want their teams. That's half the fun in playing the games. Would you play a Mario or Halo game that had some generic stick figure characters instead of Mario or Master Chief? The game wouild not be the same. No one is going to pay to play a game that is not the game that they want to play. And no company should be allowed to dictate which company players should have to buy from. It should be a choice.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='jmcc']Calling what EA has done a monopoly is like saying airlines have a monopoly on travel. Just because other means of transportation aren't your first choice to get somewhere doesn't mean you can't drive, take a train or take a boat.[/quote]

Your point is wrong seeing how there are no other options when it comes to nfl football games. :roll:

When will you people get it?[/quote]

They won't. There will always be nay-sayers who have no stake in the situation or are just looking to stir things up. Just like there will always be fanboys.

How is this possible??
You figure the NFL could make more money if everybody got in on the cake, right?
I hope they realize NCAA is Next

A monopoly would mean there's no alternative possible. Clearly there are. Just because no one is making them or because it will be inconvenient to customize your teams into facsimilies of NFL teams doesn't make it a monopoly, no matter how much shrill blubbering you do about it.

Wrong comparison. EA is a company, 'airlines' isnt a company. If you're comparing video games to travel :):chuckles::) then airlines are more like NFL football games, with different companies making the games in reflecting the NFL, and thus making boats and trains different sports games. Now if Southwest Airlines secures the exclusive rights to use passenger planes only, that is a monopoly to the airline industry. You will not have any other option but to fly with SW Airlines, just as we are now having only Madden 2006 to choose from.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='big_squirtle']At this rate the only football games Sega / ESPN will be able to make are:
ESPN 2K6 Rugby

Right, but the rights to these havent been sold solely to EA (as of yet). So Sega/ ESPN could still make a game for either one. Not that they will.

[quote name='big_squirtle'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='big_squirtle']At this rate the only football games Sega / ESPN will be able to make are:
ESPN 2K6 Rugby

Right, but the rights to these havent been sold solely to EA (as of yet). So Sega/ ESPN could still make a game for either one. Not that they will.[/quote]

Yeah, but the market for a Rugby game in the US isn't much to put hope in.

[quote name='SOSTrooper'][quote name='jmcc']Calling what EA has done a monopoly is like saying airlines have a monopoly on travel. Just because other means of transportation aren't your first choice to get somewhere doesn't mean you can't drive, take a train or take a boat.[/quote]

Wrong comparison. EA is a company, 'airlines' isnt a company. If you're comparing video games to travel :):chuckles::) then airlines are more like NFL football games, with different companies making the games in reflecting the NFL, and thus making boats and trains different sports games. Now if Southwest Airlines secures the exclusive rights to use passenger planes only, that is a monopoly to the airline industry. You will not have any other option but to fly with SW Airlines, just as we are now having only Madden 2006 to choose from.[/quote]

It's no use. He's wrong and he knows it. He just wants to be a pain. Yuo know, one of those people who you tell the sky is blue and the grass is green and they argue the other way around.

bread's done
Back